Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: Off to a Good Start

Comments

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I think the game will live or die by the success of the foundry.

From my experiences, combat was both fun, smooth and addictive.  However, many/most players are going to get hung up on the extremely focused experiences of each class.  Considering its a DD game and a NWN DD game... players are going to expect hefty amounts of customization in terms of advancement.  It's not there and there will be A LOT of complaints once the game launches.

I don't fault Cryptic for going the route the did.  If anything, its the same route we saw with the console Baldurs Gate games (which were diablo-esque action rpgs).  They will need to expand that class list and get some flavor in there (ranger or an archer anyone? druid?)  I am kind of scratching my head as to why they went with "Guardian" Fighter as opposed to some form of "Paladin".

For players who are able to accept it for what it is, it is fun.  If the grouping/teaming aspect is strong and the foundry delivers... I'll be a fairly happy camper for sure (though I really want them to expand that class list quickly).

• mirkrimmirkrim Member Posts: 69
    In terms of zones being added... I want to go to Baldur's Gate ;)
  • MegatronicMegatronic Member Posts: 35
    No but we have had enough of these brain dead comments most of the mmorpg.com users post.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

am i the only one that played pen and paper D&D where you would play for weeks on end armed with magic missile, stinking cloud and if you were lucky, a limited charge wand?

why is everyone talking about some "severe lack" of skills/abilities in D&D?  dont even get me started on races and classes. most of you have a different impression of D&D and are expecting way more than what it offers

Well when you compare it to any NWN game, BG, IWD, or even DDO where you had an array and diverse amount of spells to chose from and not a select few that will fit the playsytle. 

For those that play and loved 3.5e this game will not suite them and they will likely be sticking out in DDO for their main focus I'm waggering.  This will have the usual MMOers coming hither at least till the next new shiney that releases.   This game's future will be like TSW and DDO, your nitche crowd.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    The most honest opinion of a game I've seen on this site in awhile. In a world where every game is special, no game is. Keep the honesty coming.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    The game looks boring, it only has 4 classes, last i check there were a few more then that.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    The game looks boring, it only has 4 classes, last i check there were a few more then that.

they said more will be coming.. either way if at least 1 of the 4 are fun for me i won't complain much:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

they said more will be coming.. either way if at least 1 of the 4 are fun for me i won't complain much:)

yeah I will play it also, if it wasnt free to play i would invest the money in the $200.00 package but history has shown us that F2P is more about the profit then the product which mmo's should never be about.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Cannot wait! I love that they put the devoted cleric in, haven't played a cleric since my days in D&D tabletop! I noticed that the ruleset allows for the monk, I sincerely hope they add this one next as I've missed my monk from the oriental system. It was awesome in the 2nd edition. 

I'm not really worried so much about content at this point as I am about adding the new classes. If they move as fast with the classes on this game as they have with ships in STO I will be quite happy. even if their are pay to play those classes it's still fine with me. 

I do hope they have plenty of cosmetics happening post launch.

I also hope they do the bard justice, something in the cross between how the LOTRO bard functions and the one in Rift would be nice. 

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

Personally, I thought the game had a bad start. For me and several other people, we were unable to interact with anything in the world at all. The game constantly rubber banded us back to zone entrance. That seemed like an alpha bug to me, and needless to say I was not happy about it

• julienkagejulienkage Member Posts: 12
    I think Pathfinder online will crush this game utterly.  There will be far more things to do such as actually having PvP, which Neverwinter does NOT have, you can create your own little "kingdom" and the rules feel far more the D&D most people know as opposed to the 4th ed rules that most peopel did not like and jumped ship to Pathfinder over. Hopefully the Pathfinder online graphics will improve though as they looked pretty terrible.
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Uhm, there were 3 in the beta (trickster rogue, guardian fighter and devoted cleric), there have been official trailers and gameplay of control wizard and great weapon fighter and certain in-game items make me think they're gonna be launching with a ranger/druid-ish class as well. 6 classes is not too shabby methinks.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I don't like the whole companion thing, reminds me of Star Wars: the Old Republic and that lead to less grouping and even less of a need for social interaction.  It's nice to have that spot filled by someone when you can find  a live person it just tends to lead to less bothering of looking for someone else when you have your cleric/warrior to follow you.
  • VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Nightfyre
    I don't like the whole companion thing, reminds me of Star Wars: the Old Republic and that lead to less grouping and even less of a need for social interaction.  It's nice to have that spot filled by someone when you can find  a live person it just tends to lead to less bothering of looking for someone else when you have your cleric/warrior to follow you.

Personally i think the companion system in SWTOR is excellent, but that has always been one of Bioware's strenghts, NW's companion system on the other hand is subpar to say the least. That being said i really am looking forward to this game because i am a big fan of this particular setting, D&D, Faerun, Neverwinter..it doesn't get much better than that, and if it turns out to be mediocre, well...at least it's free to try and play.

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221
    The "beta" weekend served a very important purpose for me.    Watching the live streams saved me from wasting money on a founders pack since I know I'd lose interest in the game very quickly after launch.
  • LJonteLJonte Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Wait, no Paladins? No Rangers?  Well, damn.  I'm still looking forward to playing it, but seriously, damn.

-Lisa Jont

Originally posted by LJonte
    Wait, no Paladins? No Rangers?  Well, damn.  I'm still looking forward to playing it, but seriously, damn.

i remember them talking about a ranger type that will be added.. there were a couple others but don't remember off the top of my head.. also not sure when they plan on adding those new classes

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

yeah to be a good D&D game they need to have 10+ classes imo. and I feel the same way as stevon about wasting money on it. F2P is a great indicator also, they will be more driven to bring out usless stuff that looks cool but has nothing to do with game play which is a large injustice to D&D as a whole.

yeah to be a good D&D game they need to have 10+ classes imo. and I feel the same way as stevon about wasting money on it. F2P is a great indicator also, they will be more driven to bring out usless stuff that looks cool but has nothing to do with game play which is a large injustice to D&D as a whole.

10+? unless you mean multiclass early d&d didn't have many classes..  Original D&D had three classes: Fighting-Man, Magic-User, and Cleric with thief added shortly after

• brianw1brianw1 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Best beta weekend ever
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

I would like to correct an oversight/mistake on both cryptics side and in this article.

There are not 5 classes launching, there are only FOUR classes launching. What you need to understand is that even in 4E the classes are fighter, rogue, wiz, cleric. As you can see four classes not five.

Now what cryptic has done is not allowed people pick a class and choose their own "build"  but instead give us premade builds and call those classes. for example they offer TWO fighter builds, great weapon fighter and guardian fighter. They are one class but two different builds.

What they are doing is offereing us 4E suggested builds and calling these classes.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

10+? unless you mean multiclass early d&d didn't have many classes..  Original D&D had three classes: Fighting-Man, Magic-User, and Cleric with thief added shortly after

right thats what I mean so the 4 classes then there at the least should have 2-3 sub classes per class

• konseptualkonseptual Member Posts: 4

There are actually five classes. Guadian fighter, Great Weapon Fighter, Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric and Control Wizard. They've hinted very strongly at an "Archer" class, without calling it a Ranger. And people have found the Warlock class mixed in with the patch files, including the spell names. They could just as easily be available at launch, but be purchasable.

I played all weekend and enjoyed it. Leveled a cleric up to 30. The idea of the pre-made builds is my one big hesitation. I wouldn't even play Champions Online for free, for the pre-made characters were, well, pre-made. They're getting inindated with posts about class customization and "cookie cutter' builds and that sort of thing on the beta and regular forums. We'll see how they address this. I think that part of the game design was their intention from the beginning, so I hold little hope. 

Suzie, your streaming video with Zeke was the first video I watched. A lot of fun, particularly the way you ran ahead a couple times to kill everything. I didn't crash once this entire weekend and it seems like that have the stability mostly under control. That's with a much heavier load than the press CBT preceeding the regular closed beta.

• hadatihadati Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Dang!  5 classes?  That's weak.  Now I'm definitely holding off... until they have Ranger and a few others everyone will be walking around looking like a cookie-cutter of everyone else.  Just disappointing Cryptic.  Get on the ball!  You should be releasing with at least 7 to 10 classes or this game is going to get very old very fast.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Originally posted by konseptual

There are actually five classes. Guadian fighter, Great Weapon Fighter, Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric and Control Wizard. They've hinted very strongly at an "Archer" class, without calling it a Ranger. And people have found the Warlock class mixed in with the patch files, including the spell names. They could just as easily be available at launch, but be purchasable.

I played all weekend and enjoyed it. Leveled a cleric up to 30. The idea of the pre-made builds is my one big hesitation. I wouldn't even play Champions Online for free, for the pre-made characters were, well, pre-made. They're getting inindated with posts about class customization and "cookie cutter' builds and that sort of thing on the beta and regular forums. We'll see how they address this. I think that part of the game design was their intention from the beginning, so I hold little hope. 

Suzie, your streaming video with Zeke was the first video I watched. A lot of fun, particularly the way you ran ahead a couple times to kill everything. I didn't crash once this entire weekend and it seems like that have the stability mostly under control. That's with a much heavier load than the press CBT preceeding the regular closed beta.

No you are mistaken, in 4E these are classes:

Player's Handbook Classes
    Class Power Source Role
    Cleric Divine Leader
    Fighter Martial Defender
    Paladin Divine Defender
    Ranger Martial Striker
    Rogue Martial Striker
    Warlock Arcane Striker
    Warlord Martial Leader
    Wizard Arcane Controller
    Player's Handbook 2 Classes
    Class Power Source Role
    Avenger Divine Striker
    Barbarian Primal Striker
    Bard Arcane Leader
    Druid Primal Controller
    Invoker Divine Controller
    Shaman Primal Leader
    Sorcerer Arcane Striker
    Warden Primal Defender
    Player's Handbook 3 Classes
    Class Power Source Role
    Ardent Psionic Leader
    Battlemind Psionic Defender
    Monk Psionic Striker
    Psion Psionic Controller
    Runepriest Divine Leader
    Seeker Primal Controller

These are builds:

Players Handbook

Battle Cleric
    Devoted Cleric
    Great Weapon Fighter
    Guardian Fighter
    Avenging Paladin
    Protecting Paladin
    Archer Ranger
    Two-Blade Ranger

Brawny Rogue
    Trickster Rogue
    Deceptive Warlock
    Scourge Warlock
    Inspiring Warlord
    Tactical Warlord
    Control Wizard
    War Wizard

Players Handbook 2

Isolating Avenger
    Pursuing Avenger
    Rageblood Barbarian
    Thaneborn Barbarian
    Cunning Bard
    Valorous Bard
    Guardian Druid
    Predator Druid
    Preserving Invoker
    Wrathful Invoker
    Bear Shaman
    Panther Shaman
    Chaos Sorcerer
    Dragon Sorcerer
    Earth Warden
    Life Warden

Players Handbook 3

Enlightened Ardent
    Euphoric Ardent
    Resilient Battlemind
    Quick Battlemind
    Centered Breath Monk
    Stone Fist Monk
    Telekinetic Psion
    Telepathic Psion
    Defiant Runepriest
    Wrathful Runepriest
    Protecting Seeker
    Vengeful Seeker

Take DDO for example if you choose fighter at the class selection screen you have premade paths you can choose or you can choose custom build. The premade paths choose "powers" for etc. If you choose custom you can make a great min/max toon or gimp yourself. Don't mistake these options as different classes they are not.

Neverwinter takes premade builds and labels them "classes" but they are not. Great weapon fighter and guardian fighter are the same class but two different builds of the same class.  What Neverwinter should have done is let you choose "fighter " and the at the next screen ioffered you TWO build choices, ie great wepaon fighter or guardian fighter.

It's like saying a paladin that chooses the DOS pre is a different class from the paladin that chooses the kotc pre and that would be false/wrong.  there is one class and that is paladin except on has a tank pre, one has a dps pre. 

See what I mean one class, two build options. In reality there are 4 classes but two builds of one class.  Most likely when they add the ranger class they will offer either Archer Ranger or the Two-Blade Ranger builds. Hell with luck they could offer both at the same time but that is still just one class ;)

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.