Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forget this game if you are solo only gamer

MustarastasMustarastas Member UncommonPosts: 79

Im level77 and have played since relase of open beta. So far I have had a blast with the game but now that I have died few characters in HC and played with my ranger to 77 I have finally met the wall.

Wait what wall? Well, at the moment if I want to solo I will more or less likely be headed towards Docks (best farm place end game). Now, I do one docks run and I get about 1% exp. On the other hand, if I would go and play in party (hard to find, lots of waiting, well I dont want to party) I would get about 5% exp per run.

Also, the best end game loot drops from maps that are basically party places.

Therefore, even though the game is extremely good at start - even for soloing -  it kinda slaps you in the face after you have played sometime.

But again - thats just my two cents.

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

grouping in an MMO, how dare they

Skyrim had great solo play

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

You can do maps solo quite easily. Either way, the exp rate in parties is only faster due to killing faster, primarily due to team work. Mobs themselves are harder but typically a party can still kill faster and wipe them out quicker then playing solo which would attribute to higher exp gain, particularly if your damage is subpar and allies have been supplimenting them in the end.

The game itself at the end slows on purpose no matter what you do, party or solo. You can play solo just as easily as party and I really don't see party being that massive of an advantage. Faster? Sure, but not I never seen this 1:5 ratio of exp gain from being in party verse being solo. 

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

I think it's good for online games to make it harder to solo as you get higher.  Games nowadays are way too easy to hit max level.  If you don't want to group, no problem, but it will be harder.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    So wait you are complaining that after 77ish levels you are at a point that either you play solo and grind your way up, or you spend the time to get a group and gain better drops an exp from tackling harder content that you cann't really do solo?  IS that not the fact of how you actually reward players for doing harder content or that  spend the time to get a group of players together, and tackle that content. Sorry you can play it solo at a slower rate and reward, but those that actually take the time and effort should be rewarded with better items and progression. 
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

This seems like a momentary problem.  

This game is in Beta, and while it seems pretty popular for a game that's in beta; we're still talking about beta population levels. Also, how many of that beta population could possibly be in your level range? I mean, I thought I was putting in some decent play time, but I only have two characters in the mid-30s.

Who knows, in year, people may be complaining that grouping is only possible at high levels; that lower levels are deserted.

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

Um that is how it should be?

Lets say it was the same xp and the same loot. What exactly would be the point of spending the extra time looking for a group.

You have a viable alternative and if you happen to find a group you could join. But you have something to do rather than waiting for one. Perfect imo. You are not forced to group, but it is not pointless to group either.

I see no problem with this other than you ONLY wanting to solo game. This would be like me saying I only want to group and soloers have more convient times to level because they can play by their schedule and they get as much stuff as me. If your going to put a restriction on how you are willing to play then realize you might feel restricted in the end.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Path of Exile is an MMO? I thought it was a lobby based co-op action RPG.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

How dare you use logic.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

In closed beta versions, you could solo everything and many enjoyed that kind of freedom, with the release of open beta the game turned towards grouping, making it from hard to impossible to solo.

The main problem is the game is not very group friendly and never was, so we who liked the freedom of soloing mostly find a game that has changed fundamentally from closed beta. Grouping is-was one big lightshow and you are lucky if you notice something beating on you, result is you watch your bars and make sure you move nonstop - This is why I preferred solo play, and hence not fond of this new PoE style.

To get me back in PoE I think I need to see drastically improved team play functionality or a return to the more solo oriented gameplay.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    It's not an MMO...
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Even if this was an MMO, the guy has a point.

What MMO in the last 5 years has been group focused? They're all geared towards the ability to play solo or group if you choose. The days of forced grouping went bye-bye with DAOC, many years ago.

Sure, to get the best gear in say TERA, WoW or GW2 you're gonna need to group up somewhat but that is an optional choice to get marginal upgrades on the whole whereas once upon a time it was your only option, not to mention you'd pretty much have to group up to level.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

You solo to lvl 77 and you shouldn't be playing this game if you like solo? I hope you understand how that makes no sense.

Now if you couldn't make it past lvl 5... but lvl 77? I found just the opposite really. No one had any reason to group, ever. I'm glad they finally changed that towards the end of the game.

Originally posted by Yamota

I play POE the same way I played WOW for the last 2 yrs, sit in a Town, wait for my group and goto an instance, or sit in a town, wait for a Raid, goto an instance, or sit in a town, wait for PVP goto an instance, or go out and farm by myself for supplies so that I can sit in town some more waiting for a group.

Seems that its just like the worlds biggest MMO to me, except without the Pandas

• sunflamesunflame Member UncommonPosts: 181

I play POE the same way I played WOW for the last 2 yrs, sit in a Town, wait for my group and goto an instance, or sit in a town, wait for a Raid, goto an instance, or sit in a town, wait for PVP goto an instance, or go out and farm by myself for supplies so that I can sit in town some more waiting for a group.

Seems that its just like the worlds biggest MMO to me, except without the Pandas

Ah right...

Well, I play PoE the same way i played Diablo1 - so that must mean it's a single player game

Originally posted by sunflame

Ah right...

Well, I play PoE the same way i played Diablo1 - so that must mean it's a single player game

you played Diablo 1 online on a company's server? Where you had the option to make trades, form groups and talk to other people?

you must be the only one

• sunflamesunflame Member UncommonPosts: 181

Ah right...

you played Diablo 1 online on a company's server? Where you had the option to make trades, form groups and talk to other people?

you must be the only one

I'm sorry but I don't see where I claimed to have played it online...

I play PoE the same way I played Diablo1 - without groups / without talking to other people and without trades. Which means it is obviously a single player game (the internet connection is irrlevent as there are a lot of single player games nowdays that requires internet connection).

Ah right...

you must be the only one

I'm sorry but I don't see where I claimed to have played it online...

I play PoE the same way I played Diablo1 - without groups / without talking to other people and without trades. Which means it is obviously a single player game (the internet connection is irrlevent as there are a lot of single player games nowdays that requires internet connection).

is it Massive? Yes

is it Multiplayer? Yes

is it Online? Yes

is it an RPG? Yes

Its a MMORPG then

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Look up the definition of mmorpg, massive refers to the number of people in the same instance at the same time. If the core gameplay is 5 man instances then it is not massive, it's a lobby game (and I don't mean that as a negative term). You could equally say that a online chess game with 10s of thousands of players online at the same time is massively online.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Example : gw1 was not a mmorpg, it was a corps- even the devs aknowledged this.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Look up the definition of mmorpg, massive refers to the number of people in the same instance at the same time. If the core gameplay is 5 man instances then it is not massive, it's a lobby game (and I don't mean that as a negative term). You could equally say that a online chess game with 10s of thousands of players online at the same time is massively online.

sorry but there is no "DEFINITION" of the term.  Play in a cutthroat league, I had 42 people in one zone I was in, and that was more then I ever saw at once in SWtor outside of the city

Age of Conan is entirely instanced as well, and its an MMORPG

Istaria is an MMORPG and it has less then 100 subscribers

Vanguard before F2P had at most 150 people online on the entire server, yet it was a MMORPG

MMORPG is completely an irrelevant term

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

sorry but there is no "DEFINITION" of the term.  Play in a cutthroat league, I had 42 people in one zone I was in, and that was more then I ever saw at once in SWtor outside of the city

Age of Conan is entirely instanced as well, and its an MMORPG

Istaria is an MMORPG and it has less then 100 subscribers

Vanguard before F2P had at most 150 people online on the entire server, yet it was a MMORPG

MMORPG is completely an irrelevant term

I get the point you are trying to make, but you are wrong. By your logic, SKYRIM should be a first person shooter because I can go into first person view and shoot with a bow.

Games are catorigized by their first intention. POE is an ARPG, not an mmorpg. Just like SKYRIM is an RPG, not a FPS.

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125

I dont call 5 people massive players, so its not a mmo for me.

Maybe you do, then its a mmo for you.

End of story

I belive skyrim is a mmo too for some poeople though. Peopl can say or think whatever they want.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Sounds like you need a break from PoE, the game is fine for solo. You can build different characters that specialize in doing certain types of maps or build one that can do ok in all maps. Leveling will be faster in groups but I think that's how it should be.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by SuperNick

Even if this was an MMO, the guy has a point.

What MMO in the last 5 years has been group focused? They're all geared towards the ability to play solo or group if you choose. The days of forced grouping went bye-bye with DAOC, many years ago.

Sure, to get the best gear in say TERA, WoW or GW2 you're gonna need to group up somewhat but that is an optional choice to get marginal upgrades on the whole whereas once upon a time it was your only option, not to mention you'd pretty much have to group up to level.

What MMO in the last 5 years has really been successful?  Since "They're all geared towards the ability to play solo"... if would imaging the list would be pretty long over 5 years.  Sadly... the list is quite short.  So I think your points actually proved the opposite.   Yes almost all the MMOs of the last 5 years have been solo focused... but nearly all of those have also been failures.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

You might be right...

.. but last I checked this was MMORPG.COM...  and this was the PoE forum on that site.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018