Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chasing the Roadrunner!

I've been chasing the Roadrunner (the perfect MMORPG) since I started playin UO in 1997.   The perfect MMORPG seems to elude me at every try. 

I know it is impossible for one game to have it all for everyone but I think the perfect game would have a lot for a lot of different elements for many players.  I have played to  more than the beginners stage in a few MMOs; UO, SWG, L2, EQ2, AOC, and Aion.   The ones I've tried and quit before lvl 10 would be just about any MMO that ever offered a free trial or free to play.  So from all of the games I've played here is my review/grade for the 3 I have enjoyed the most.  I would have included SWG but as it is now defunct there is no point.

MY TOP 3:

UO:   (from what I remember of 10 years ago)

Graphics:  C-   Not the best graphics but almost any computer can run it.

PvP:  C-  The interface was ok but after Trammel pvp was pretty non- existent.

PvE:  B+ Easy enough.

Quest:  B-  Ok but no real rewards.

Adventuring:  A+  Tame animals, Ride a horse, mining, sail a boat, build a house, pve, and pvp.

Crafting:  A -   There is a purpose and enough of a challenge to make it fun.

Trade/Selling:  B- You have to search to find what you want to buy as there are no central vendors.  Selling things require setting up a vendor and hoping the right buyer comes along.

Housing:  A+ Customization and variety is only limited to your imagination.

Raiding:  B+  As I remember it was easy to join a raid not hard to complete although I don't remember the rewards as being great.

Leveling:  C+ A real grindfest to level any skill.

Final Grade:  84 (B)

================

AOC:

Graphics:  A+  Only real life looks better.

PvP:  A-  The pvp interface is good but with the current population you are limited to pvp mini games.

PvE:  A+  The AOC Combat system makes PvE a lot of fun.

Quest: B- Ok but no real rewards.

Adventuring: A-  Ride a horse, ride a number of different animals, pve, and pvp.

Crafting: C - There is little purpose and little of a challenge to make it fun.

Trade/Selling: A-   Central vendors make buying and Selling things easy.

Housing: F   Not available.

Raiding: C+  To make it worthwhile you must be the member of a big and organized guild.  Even then be prepared to set aside a specific 2-3 hours of time.  An upper tier raid doesn't take 3 hours but by the time you join and wait for everyone else then a lot of dead time has passed.  Then to get anything of value you need to be either very very lucky or a good buddy of the the raid leader.

Leveling: A-  Fun and easy enough without a lot of grinding.  Leveling is easy itt's the raiding to get good gear in AOC that can become frustrating. 

Final Grade: 78 (C+)

============

Aion:  (newbie)

Graphics: A- Not AOC but I can live with it.

PvP: B+ I haven't actually tried pvp in Aion yet but I'll assume it will be comparable to PvE.

PvE: B+ Easy enough.

Quest: B- Ok but no real rewards.  It seems to be more about a requirement to level.

Adventuring: A- Ride a horse (i think), mining, flying, build a house, pve, and pvp.

Crafting: C- There doesn't seem to be much of a purpose.

Trade/Selling: B- You have to search to find what you want to buy as there are no central vendors. Selling things require setting up a vendor and hoping the right buyer comes along.

Housing: B+  From what I see there is some variety.

Raiding: B+  I haven't tied it yet.  This grade if from what I hear from others.

Leveling: A-   So far it doesn't seem too bad.  It looks like as in AOC the acquiring gear is more of an issue then getting to max level.

Final Grade: 88 (B+)

So there you have my grades for the 3 games I currently see as the top 3 MMORPGs currently available.

Aion - B+

UO - B

AOC - C+

I will continue to chase the elusive Roadrunner and have some high hopes for some of the games on the horizon:

Archage, Repopulation, and Greed Monger.   I can't wait to try them!

Wyli E. Coyote

Comments

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Get ready for falling anvils...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I laughed at the mental image of the thread title. I feel just like the coyote, every time I go chasing after my ideal MMORPG, an anvil or safe falls out of the sky and pounds me into the ground. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I caught it, then SOE dropped a safe on my roadrunner.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I laughed at the mental image of the thread title. I feel just like the coyote, every time I go chasing after my ideal MMORPG, an anvil or safe falls out of the sky and pounds me into the ground. image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQEsbLORkNo

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    If MMOs are Wile E Coyote, than MOBAs are Ralph Wolf trying to blend in and pretend to be Wile E Coyote

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

To catch a roadrunner you need to get a faster roadrunner.

This'll do...

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

I chased this mythical creature for a few years, I eventually came to the conclusion nothing was ever gonna live up to my nostalgia and honeymoon of Asheron's Call.

These days I just look for:

• Good engine
    • Good combat
    • Good design (dungeons, loot, questing, world etc)
    • Regular content updates
    Sadly I never seem to get all of these lately, hence why i'm pretty dismayed with the whole genre, as a lot of people are.

Sure, TERA has a great engine and combat but its design kinda sucks. The content updates are even worse.
    GW2 has a great engine and some OK design but the content, trinityless system and content updates leave a lot to be desired.
    SWTOR had cool design and regular content updates but the engine and combat were horrendous.

I find myself returning to WoW still because it delivers on all of those points to an average degree.

Generally I feel like these companies should start focusing on returning to the fun of MMOs instead of trying to revolutionize the industry somehow.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by SuperNick

I chased this mythical creature for a few years, I eventually came to the conclusion nothing was ever gonna live up to my nostalgia and honeymoon of Asheron's Call.

These days I just look for:

• Good engine
    • Good combat
    • Good design (dungeons, loot, questing, world etc)
    • Regular content updates
    Sadly I never seem to get all of these lately, hence why i'm pretty dismayed with the whole genre, as a lot of people are.

Sure, TERA has a great engine and combat but its design kinda sucks. The content updates are even worse.
    GW2 has a great engine and some OK design but the content, trinityless system and content updates leave a lot to be desired.
    SWTOR had cool design and regular content updates but the engine and combat were horrendous.

I find myself returning to WoW still because it delivers on all of those points to an average degree.

Generally I feel like these companies should start focusing on returning to the fun of MMOs instead of trying to revolutionize the industry somehow.

I personally believe none of that you ask for will please you. It's all about mindset. Yours as well as most people here on this site, have a different mindset than they had 7years ago about MMO, no matter how much free time you have on your hands. 

I have more free time on my hands than I did back in school when I use to play WoW. So why is it that I play MMO's less than back then? For me, it's all about what I look at as filler content, and what I look at as fun content.

mmos have never been designed around fun in the modern age. MMO have got away with it, because it was new to most people.

now days people have enough experience in a MMO to know what's BS and what's not, once they get there hands on it for a good enough time after hype fades off. And people aren't going to stick around coughing up 15$ a month for BS. DDO tried to sell a CORPG for a sub fee on people. Lol. Developers still have a conservative mindset that isn't in touch with players, since most developers are vet players themselves, who are chasing a thing of the past. It's like Nike corps trying to make Jordan's from years and years ago, but instead with consumers that have a mindset change.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

You tried very few games in comparison to the average MMORPG cynic.