Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problems launching Tera

TheIndianVickTheIndianVick Member Posts: 3

Hi, I wanted to ask a question in regards to an error that solely I am receiving. As much as my dual-core, 6 year old desktop may be unable to handle the game, I would think I'd be able to launch it before seeing the lack/thereof graphics/fps. Whenever I press Play Game in the launcher, I come up with this error. After pressing cancel on the error, a message pops up saying Unable to launch game.

Thanks for all the help, 

Vivek

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/4sxnx3.jpg[/IMG]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    What hardware are you using?  If it's old enough, it might not support the game at all.  Sometimes simply being too slow can cause crashes for a variety of technical reasons.
  • TheIndianVickTheIndianVick Member Posts: 3

I'm on a Intel Pentium(D) 2.8 GHz system

3 GB RAM

NVDIA GeForce 7300LE (ik this is shitty, but should not be responsible for crash before starting the game)

50 gb free on hard disk - it's not an insufficient hard drive problem either.

And thanks for replying, Quizzical.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

That should be fine on API compliance.  I wouldn't think that the CPU would be slow enough to cause a crash.  The video card is slow enough that your frame rates will probably be terrible, but that shouldn't be slow enough to cause a crash, either.

How much system memory do you have, and how much video memory?  If you're running out, then that could make things slow enough to crash.

As to why "too slow" can cause a crash, if something is supposed to happen periodically and a program assumes that it does, but the computer is too slow so it doesn't, bad things can happen.  The internal details of exactly why it crashes can vary wildly.

-----

But it might not be a case of "too slow" causing a crash.  The error message doesn't really tell me anything.  Do you keep Windows updated and have the latest video drivers?  If you're running six year old video drivers, you could easily be running into a bug that was fixed a long time ago.

• TheIndianVickTheIndianVick Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Quizzical

That should be fine on API compliance.  I wouldn't think that the CPU would be slow enough to cause a crash.  The video card is slow enough that your frame rates will probably be terrible, but that shouldn't be slow enough to cause a crash, either.

How much system memory do you have, and how much video memory?  If you're running out, then that could make things slow enough to crash.

As to why "too slow" can cause a crash, if something is supposed to happen periodically and a program assumes that it does, but the computer is too slow so it doesn't, bad things can happen.  The internal details of exactly why it crashes can vary wildly.

-----

But it might not be a case of "too slow" causing a crash.  The error message doesn't really tell me anything.  Do you keep Windows updated and have the latest video drivers?  If you're running six year old video drivers, you could easily be running into a bug that was fixed a long time ago.

I have around 40 gb of memory left on my hard drive, and windows/video drivers are fully updated =/ I've messaged support, but still don't have a response from them :( 

I guess I'll just have to wait till I get a new compter then, I think my company has a spair dual core 2.8 Xeon laying around with a decent graphic card and ram,  so I think I might actually use that.

Thanks for the help Quizz <3

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Could be a corrupt file with the patcher/launcher as well. Wouldn't hurt, if you have the time, to try fully uninstalling and deleting, then re-download/re-install (I know the game is huge and this could take a while)

Could be failing RAM as well. Running a 1-2 hour test of memtest86 would remove that possibility.

But yeah, a computer with that hardware, even when you do get it up and running, it's going to be fairly painful. That game pushes the UT3 engine fairly far. You could probably find settings and tweaks to make it playable, the UT3 engine is pretty forgiving all in all, but it wouldn't look anything like the Youtube videos and screen shots you've seen of the game.