Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Announced: Monday Feb 25th

Letter from the Producer, XLIII (02/15/2013)

This message is a direct copy of Yoshi-P's announcement:

<blockquote restore="" "=""> Hello again to all of you eagerly awaiting FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Yoshi-P here, and I survived my flight, allowing me to bring you the forty-third Letter from the Producer from San Francisco! (I don't know why I have to fly everywhere. )

I'm sorry for taking so long to put up this letter, but the news you've all been waiting for is finally here. Assuming no dastardly bugs or server errors slow us down, phase 1 of the beta test will begin on February 25!

The roadmap we released has the schedule set for mid-February, so the start is about a week late. However, the extra time has allowed us to prepare more system features and character options for testing. While you all enjoy the game, I hope you also provide us with tons of feedback like you did during the alpha test.

I've been on a roll with screenshots lately, so here are a few from our own phase 1 testing that I found tucked away on my hard drive.

The following screenshots are of a new system that will be ready for testing from phase 1: Full Active Time Events, or FATE for short. These events will take place in non-instanced areas and appear at random. Players can participate by simply being within proximity of the event, and there's no need to form parties. Rewards are automatically distributed when it's over, making it easy to jump in and have fun.

If you happen to come across one while you're out questing, give it a try. There will be several kinds, including some that are triggered by NPCs, so stay sharp!

In addition to FATE, another feature you can look forward to is the new guildhest system. This was originally the behest system in Version 1.0, but after tweaking it so much, we thought it deserved a new name. lol!

Even now, we're still making adjustments, so I can't promise it'll be ready in time for the start of phase 1. We may be forced to implement it later with a patch, but rest assured we'll try our best to stay on schedule.

Also, just like the alpha test, phase 1 of the beta test will be limited to the areas around Gridania. Quests from the main scenario will be available, but because these require travel to other nations at level 15, they will be limited. Sidequests are designed to accompany the main scenario, so it may be a bit of a pain to level up after that point. This won’t be the case in the official release version, but until then we ask that you do your leveling through the variety of content that will be available.

If you're up to the challenge, an instanced dungeon designed with level 30 players in mind will also be ready for testing. The boss has a few tricks up its sleeve that are sure to give you a run for your money.

Well, I had better get going. I’m going to fortify myself with a dinner of steak and red wine, then it’s on to the media tour!

I hope to see you all in my fifth LIVE letter when all this is over!

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by TemperHoof

For those of you not currently keeping tabs on what’s happening over at SquareEnix, Naoki Yoshida aka Yoshi-P, has arrived in the United States for a press tour concerning the upcoming Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Beta Test.

His press tour should last until the end of the week and during this time he will author another Letter from the Producer. He has stated that “in my next letter you can expect an announcement for the [Beta Test] starting date.” There is no telling when the letter will be released, but he has assured it is coming soon. Trust that once this letter is public, you and everyone else will know just when Beta Phase 1 will be kicking off this February.

Yoshi-P

Yoshi-P checking the game at Narita Airport

I don't think think he actually promised information on the beta start date in the live letter, but I could be wrong.  Not in the producer's letter at least.

What he did say was:

"See you next time, on the forums, or in the Beta Test!"

The optimist in me takes this to mean phase 1 will start before the live letter!  Though it could also just be him not commiting to anything.  Then again he has "seen us" on the forums several times since then so maybe we will never get in the beta test!!!

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    I quoted him directly from his last letter, and also his posts on the forums stated he was going to produce another letter while in the US.
  • MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Eagerly checking my in-box daily.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    I quoted him directly from his last letter, and also his posts on the forums stated he was going to produce another letter while in the US.

This is the last letter:

Originally posted by http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/60207

Letter from the Producer, XLII (02/06/2013)

Hello again to all of you eagerly awaiting FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Yoshi-P here, bringing you the forty-second Letter from the Producer!

The team and I have been working tirelessly to meet our deadlines for the upcoming beta test. While I'm sure the wait has been unbearable, you'll be happy to know that I've just completed my last round of checks. We're now making final adjustments to the client, doing our best to stay on track.
    Although phase one will be limited to areas around Gridania like the alpha test, there will be plenty of Full Active Time Events to try, and we've put everything we've got into creating an exciting game experience. It won't be long now before the testing begins, and in my next letter you can expect an announcement for the starting date.

After posting the forty-first letter, there was a lot of clamoring for more screenshots, especially of the Elezen female. I'm always looking for an excuse to toy with the character creator, so I took a few screenshots myself. They're not as dazzling as our usual promo shots, but I hope you enjoy them all the same.

The Elezen female striking a pose. Could she be Eorzea's Next Top Model?

As a finishing touch, I added some highlights to her hair.

Here she is relaxing in the Black Shroud, enjoying the game's natural lighting.

Here's the Lalafell male. If I were a Lalafell, I'd want to look like this guy.

He can look tough, but he's still cute enough to charm the ladies.

Of course, I had to add another benchmark screenshot (again, pay no mind to the scoring). We're running our final tests using various PC specs.

Starting February 10, I'll be away from the office on a media tour that will pave the way for the beta test. I'll be traveling around the world, stopping in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and London, getting the word out to various media outlets and giving them a taste of the new FINAL FANTASY XIV. All regions will be receiving information at the same time, so be sure to keep an eye out!

Oh, before I forget, Letter from the Producer LIVE Part V is planned for the day after I return from the tour. After aerial adventures, strenuous schedules, and jarring jetlag, what will become of the broadcast? You'll find out when details are posted on the Lodestone.

See you next time, on the forums, or in the Beta Test!

It doesn't say anything about confirmation on the start of beta.  Only that they are working hard on it, that the media tour will "pave the way", and that he will see us possibly in the Beta test.

They are going to release some info on ARR (maybe beta?  I hope at least), but I don't think they've ever commited on a date or timeline for the announcement of the beta start date.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Nice post Temp. I have been reading Reinhearts posts on the lodestone , He transulates the JP forums to english and Yoshi is mostly on the JP forums. Your all welcome to read his hard work http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/14967-Translations-%28JP-to-English%29/page588 . (side note Temp guild website is up 80% done )

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

Originally posted by Murugan

This is the last letter:

Originally posted by http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/60207

Letter from the Producer, XLII (02/06/2013)

Hello again to all of you eagerly awaiting FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Yoshi-P here, bringing you the forty-second Letter from the Producer!

The team and I have been working tirelessly to meet our deadlines for the upcoming beta test. While I'm sure the wait has been unbearable, you'll be happy to know that I've just completed my last round of checks. We're now making final adjustments to the client, doing our best to stay on track.
    Although phase one will be limited to areas around Gridania like the alpha test, there will be plenty of Full Active Time Events to try, and we've put everything we've got into creating an exciting game experience. It won't be long now before the testing begins, and in my next letter you can expect an announcement for the starting date.

After posting the forty-first letter, there was a lot of clamoring for more screenshots, especially of the Elezen female. I'm always looking for an excuse to toy with the character creator, so I took a few screenshots myself. They're not as dazzling as our usual promo shots, but I hope you enjoy them all the same.

As a finishing touch, I added some highlights to her hair.

Here she is relaxing in the Black Shroud, enjoying the game's natural lighting.

Here's the Lalafell male. If I were a Lalafell, I'd want to look like this guy.

He can look tough, but he's still cute enough to charm the ladies.

Of course, I had to add another benchmark screenshot (again, pay no mind to the scoring). We're running our final tests using various PC specs.

Starting February 10, I'll be away from the office on a media tour that will pave the way for the beta test. I'll be traveling around the world, stopping in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and London, getting the word out to various media outlets and giving them a taste of the new FINAL FANTASY XIV. All regions will be receiving information at the same time, so be sure to keep an eye out!

Oh, before I forget, Letter from the Producer LIVE Part V is planned for the day after I return from the tour. After aerial adventures, strenuous schedules, and jarring jetlag, what will become of the broadcast? You'll find out when details are posted on the Lodestone.

See you next time, on the forums, or in the Beta Test!

It doesn't say anything about confirmation on the start of beta.  Only that they are working hard on it, that the media tour will "pave the way", and that he will see us possibly in the Beta test.

They are going to release some info on ARR (maybe beta?  I hope at least), but I don't think they've ever commited on a date or timeline for the announcement of the beta start date.

From Yoshi-P Japanese Forums post

Before someone askes... what did YoshiP post!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Norop View Post
    ?????????????????PR???(*´??*)???????P????????????????????????????????????
    The overseas PR tour starting from the 10th... Talking about overseas will we see YoshiP's harem again... (The pic where YoshiP was crowded with girls He's reference to this JP blog post / NA blog link
    ???M?????????????????????????????
    That was bloggers stategy, it's fiction, it's not the truth! (yeah right he enjoyed it... )

<div withavatar"="">
    Quote Originally Posted by Norop View Post
    ????????????P???LIVE????????????????????????^ω^???????????????????????
    Since the next Producer Letter Live is coming right after you come back from the busy schedule and with jet lag, I'm looking forward to more leaked images.

?????????????????????????????????……
    ????????????????????……???
    Even before that not sure if I can make it back for the Live, but even before that, not sure if I make it to departure......
    Should be enough if I have my passport and credit card right...?

Credit Reinheart from lodestone

You quote all of his letter, yet you are clearly overlooking the obvious. Perhaps you should try reading his leaders instead of skipping to the end?

Letter from 2/06/2013

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Pretty psyched about this. I was so disappointed when I played the first edition of FFXIV.

Here's to hoping they pull off such a radical measure, it's never really been done in this industry. :)

Here I am trying to be helpful and informative, and you guys want to bash me for sources? Seriously? I don't just post willy-nilly for post counts, I try to be very accurate. If you follow Yoshi-P on the official forums this should be old news. Next time try to be a bit more civil and stop trying to slap the evidence I have already carefully read through in my face as though -I- made the mistake. You should try to just sit tight and actually READ the bloody letters. Don't skim for key words like "Beta" and "Test".

Geeze...

Here I am trying to be helpful and informative, and you guys want to bash me for sources? Seriously? I don't just post willy-nilly for post counts, I try to be very accurate. If you follow Yoshi-P on the official forums this should be old news. Next time try to be a bit more civil and stop trying to slap the evidence I have already carefully read through in my face as though -I- made the mistake. You should try to just sit tight and actually READ the bloody letters. Don't skim for key words like "Beta" and "Test".

Geeze...

You tell'em lol. And i know what thats like , some people are to lazy to read more then one paragraph , Entitlement attitudes , and trolling just to troll. again great info!

The window is narrowing. It's been announced that the next LIVE letter will be on Youtube Feburary 22nd at 3am PST. By then, Yoshi will be back in Japan. So which means we'll be getting his next hand-written letter anytime between Feb 12th - 20th. I'd recommend keeping your ears to the ground folks, we'll soon find out when this Beta is kicking off.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I'm pretty sure what's going on today in San Francisco is a closed event for media outlets, since their being in SFO isn't even publicized on Google News.  Hopefully we'll see a bunch of articles within the next couple of days with a bunch of new information.

I'm also with Temperhoof in thinking we'll have another written letter before his Live Letter stating the date of beta start.  I REALLY hope it starts before he gets back to Japan, but that might be too optimistic.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by nbtscan

I'm pretty sure what's going on today in San Francisco is a closed event for media outlets, since their being in SFO isn't even publicized on Google News.  Hopefully we'll see a bunch of articles within the next couple of days with a bunch of new information.

I'm also with Temperhoof in thinking we'll have another written letter before his Live Letter stating the date of beta start.  I REALLY hope it starts before he gets back to Japan, but that might be too optimistic.

I don't think they would start something big as beta without Yoshi-P back at the helm in Japan.  If things don't go as planned, he needs to be back at the office taking care of issues.

I believe the announcement for beta will be during his "live" letter, which makes the definition of "middle of February" for the start of Beta seem out of whack... maybe "middle" of the month means something different in Japan. 

Regardless... a lot of good things happening in the next two weeks.

Originally posted by ZizouX

I believe the announcement for beta will be during his "live" letter, which makes the definition of "middle of February" for the start of Beta seem out of whack... maybe "middle" of the month means something different in Japan. 

Well that is a thought, but you see Yoshi-P said he was going to write and release the letter, which would have the Beta date, while he was in the United States. The Live Letter will be done while he is in Japan. A lot of people are beginning to speculate that the Live Letter will be taking part during the Beta Test itself, if not during the opening hours of it.

Yoshi would not start the Beta while he was in the US. As producer and head of the project, I imagine it's a very important milestone for him to have the game go into Beta and he wants to be at the helm when it does. He can announce the Beta all he likes this week, but it's not going to start until next week at the very least.

Yoshi has recently stated, "Right now I'm preparing the letter at the hotel, should be able to get this out in next few days." ~credit to Reinheart of the Lodestone Forum.

Oh goodie.

There is a new blog post on official final fantasy xi. Website about there stay in LA if interested

There is a new blog post on official final fantasy xiv. Website about the trip to LA

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Sweet, this game is pretty much WoW with Final Fantasy graphics! What fun!
    Hey gang!

We arrived at the venue today for our technical rehearsals and were able to snap some shots of the staff transforming the rooms into something straight out of FFXIV! We'll be sure to share some more cool stuff when possible!

As you can see, things are really starting to shape up inside...
    Click image for larger version  Name: forum_20130213_2.JPG Views: 0 Size: 75.8 KB ID: 557

Click image for larger version  Name: forum_20130213_3.JPG Views: 0 Size: 68.7 KB ID: 558

Click image for larger version  Name: forum_20130213_4.JPG Views: 0 Size: 47.7 KB ID: 559

I bet you guys can guess the type of feel we're aiming for with these decorations!

Wow, they are going all out for this announcement.

Excited!!!!!

• NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53
    Looking forward to hearing some new information. =)
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

carbuncle screenshots when? , i cant wait anymore !!!!!

hope i got into beta !

Originally Posted by Bayohne
    Nice to see you all following the official Twitter account for the behind-the-scenes pics! The first day of the media tour is tomorrow [Feb 14th] and we've set up, rehearsed, put Camate in a barrel (for some reason), checked the technical aspects and repeated it again and again. It might be a bit quieter tomorrow as we'll all be busy with our respective roles, but we'll try and offer up some updates when possible!

Nice thanks temper.

• NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53

A few more pics from FFXIV Twitter and various links;