Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to good old RPGs...

darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

What drew me into RPGs as a kid was the idea that I would fight monsters and could take my time doing it (turn-based).  I would go into a dungeon and see how much loot I could get and how far I could go before I forced to turn around or exit.  As I turned in my loot and perhaps got better armor I would spelunk again seeing if I could press further until I reached the monster/boss at the end for the elite loot.  

I was happy repeating this over and over as long as the story was entertaining and there were different environments to play through.  You know the staples.  Forest, Lava, Snow and Dessert :-)

I know these are antiquated mechanics by todays standards but wish some MMOs kept this core.  WoW was the closest but the questing just isn't challenging, its more a means to an end.

I miss that level and type of grinding.  Not so much where it was boring. Not too little that I could breeze through content.  Dungeon crawlers today like Diablo III and Torchlight are too action-oriented for me to really enjoy.

Hope it comes back in some form... for now emulation will have to do.

I Am Gamer. Play. Forever.

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    They are still being made but buried in all the crap that is out there.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I'd take a look at some of the  RPG's getting funded by kickstarter right now. Some are very oldschool.

For example:

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

What drew me into RPGs as a kid was the idea that I would fight monsters and could take my time doing it (turn-based).  I would go into a dungeon and see how much loot I could get and how far I could go before I forced to turn around or exit.  As I turned in my loot and perhaps got better armor I would spelunk again seeing if I could press further until I reached the monster/boss at the end for the elite loot.  

I was happy repeating this over and over as long as the story was entertaining and there were different environments to play through.  You know the staples.  Forest, Lava, Snow and Dessert :-)

I know these are antiquated mechanics by todays standards but wish some MMOs kept this core.  WoW was the closest but the questing just isn't challenging, its more a means to an end.

I miss that level and type of grinding.  Not so much where it was boring. Not too little that I could breeze through content.  Dungeon crawlers today like Diablo III and Torchlight are too action-oriented for me to really enjoy.

dosbox:   http://www.dosbox.com/

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I'm right there with ya, OP.  I played p&p D&D growing up, and when I got my Nintendo, I was all about games like Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, and Ultima.  If there are any more "modern" games out there like these three (for the pc), I'd love to find 'em.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

To quote from the classic movie Falling Down:

"Not economically viable" :(

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Have you played the Baldur's Gate enhanced version? I played it on my iPad. Very old school. The graphics is out-of-date, but the game is still fun.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Ultima Underworld for the first time in the 90's especially when you got to the stygian abyss with all those weird creatures and stuff that was good memories for me.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Legend of Grimrock would be a good one to look at.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207170/

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    This is mostly why I play Vanguard as an MMO: that old-school style. Wide open, virtual world, no instancing at all, even for housing, and lots and lots of difficult dungeons.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    They are still being made but buried in all the crap that is out there.

Nice!  If you know of any please pass on the names.  I would love to check them out.

Originally posted by waynejr2

dosbox:   http://www.dosbox.com/

Thanks.  Is this emulation software?  I currently emulate my SNES/PSX RPGs on my cell phone.  I still have to try out Final Fantasy DImensions and Cthulu Saves the World Episode III (or something like that).  A remake of the old school RPG.  Was just cautious how long a cell phone game could be.

Since we are adding what we are playing now/available...

Like I said I emulate most games, play some cell phone original RPGs (though most of them are lacking).

Looking forward to Etrian Odyssey IV which comes out for the 3DS next week or the week after.  But that one is hard core dungeon crawling (just the way I like it).

On a side note, I would love to play a 16-bit MMORPG.   It would be kind of cool having a bunch of 16bit sprites running around taking down Evil Dragon :-)  Secret of Mana like x100 

• pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63
    Hey I'm right there with ya, I remember playing super Mario for gameboy, 007 for Nintendo 64, runescape when it first came out, but it seems that those games that got your attention intensely, without worrying about the graphics as much as the video game content are simply gone
    Originally posted by olepi
    This is mostly why I play Vanguard as an MMO: that old-school style. Wide open, virtual world, no instancing at all, even for housing, and lots and lots of difficult dungeons.

I have a love/hate relationship with Vanguard.  I love everything the game stands for but after awhile I get put off by th aesthetics.  I know I'm being shallow but my brain wont allow me to continue.  But it is the type of game I am talking about.

I hope something new will come out with the same level of GW2 love.

• gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127

Omg someone mentioned Torchlight.

I bought Torchlight 2.  What a crack induced nightmare.  Even with your pet going back and forth, you simply had too much junk.  Literally your choice of weapon was "hmm, which of these 45 axes am I going to enchant?"

And people think this is good gaming.  Short story short:  commoners suck.  But I guess Wal-Mart needs millions of employees.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

You look back fondly on games because they were YOUR first games. You have a strong nostalgia about them which adds a lot to the perception of in actuality what was very basic days.

Asheron's Call for example was my first MMO and I look back on it as the best MMO i've ever played. It was my honeymoon period though and frankly if I tried to go back to it, I would pretty much hate it on all levels. Worse yet if they released a game of that caliber, again, i'd pretty much hate it. Sometimes I long for that huge open world with no care in the world about class balance; just give you that monster battlemage who never takes any damage ever but I know that sorta stuff has no bearing in todays world of games. In actuality you'd soon see people crying about "omg so much space but only miles and miles of terrain!" and "wtf my UA cloth wearer does 0 damage i'm leaving this game"

In 15 years the younger generation who are playing todays games will probably come and make the same posts about how they wish they made 'em like World of Warcraft still. :P

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Theres not much R in RPGs anymore....The trend now is that everyone can do everything and you dont play a particular role in a group......
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Ahh... the good ol' days...

I recall playing Wizardry and early Ultimas with my black and white note book and graph paper to map out dungeons... These were great times...

There was no internet back then and on occasion hints or a basic walkthrough were posted in PC Gamer or one of the actual game magazines of old. If there was a puzzle you had to figure it out or pray it was part of a magazine feature or article. 

Today it's not about that gameplay and complexity it's about magic golden streams of virtual bread crumbs leading you by the nose to the next objective. Everyone is also in such a rush for the "end"...

In some sense graphics killed RPG's... now everyone wants photo realizm which in my opinion takes away from immersion because you are always finding flaws... When you played a game like Ultima IV you had to let your imagination paint the picture and it was great.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Theres not much R in RPGs anymore....The trend now is that everyone can do everything and you dont play a particular role in a group......

ROFLMAO

You are so far off the mark, Role Playing is like acting you act out as a character in a virtual world.  Tanking, Healing and DPS are things you might do as is fishing, mining and dancing.  But your "role" in a group is nothing to do with "Role Playing".

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by craftseeker

ROFLMAO

You are so far off the mark, Role Playing is like acting you act out as a character in a virtual world.  Tanking, Healing and DPS are things you might do as is fishing, mining and dancing.  But your "role" in a group is nothing to do with "Role Playing".

Class roles and Role playing a character are both big parts of RPGs.

Your class is one part of what makes you your alter ego. There are other things that you can pick which is your alignment, race, attitude, character, story and what have you.

When you're a chaotic wizard in a group, you are a chaotic wizard. That's your role in your group and that's how you role play. Removing class-roles in games is another attempt to detract us from the Role Playing experience.

While you're right, the "Role Playing" part doens't necessary mean "your class role in a group" but that doesn't mean your class is not part of your character which you are role playing. Because it is.

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

DOSbox for the win!

i use it too hahaha! i play warcraft:orcs vs humans with it and Dune (Dune 2000) as well :3

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by LauraFrost
    Originally posted by craftseeker

ROFLMAO

Class roles and Role playing a character are both big parts of RPGs.

Your class is one part of what makes you your alter ego. There are other things that you can pick which is your alignment, race, attitude, character, story and what have you.

When you're a chaotic wizard in a group, you are a chaotic wizard. That's your role in your group and that's how you role play. Removing class-roles in games is another attempt to detract us from the Role Playing experience.

While you're right, the "Role Playing" part doens't necessary mean "your class role in a group" but that doesn't mean your class is not part of your character which you are role playing. Because it is.

Notice you said "chaotic wizard" there, not "ranged dps".  Yes your alignment, character class, deity and race are important parts of your "Role Playing", or should be.  Being "ranged dps" is a result of that, and has nothing to do with the RP in MMORPG, however important you see it as part of your game play

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Why can't more games have solo dungeons? why does everything have to have 5 mans? who actually expects to get together 4 of their friends to do anything IRL? really? do you invite four friends over just to watch tv or cut your grass or clean your toilet? because that's what we're led to believe about dungeons is that they are everyday occurances in the lives of the toons we play.
  • WagrumWagrum Member Posts: 56

FInal Fantasy XI is everything I could ever want in an RPG or MMO.

It's challenging, has a great story, job system, and has varied locales.

Also dungeons are not instanced, and most require puzzle solving to get through them.

It's an old game sure, but there's aso a reason why it has been so successful for so so long.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Since we are adding what we are playing now/available...

Like I said I emulate most games, play some cell phone original RPGs (though most of them are lacking).

Looking forward to Etrian Odyssey IV which comes out for the 3DS next week or the week after.  But that one is hard core dungeon crawling (just the way I like it).

On a side note, I would love to play a 16-bit MMORPG.   It would be kind of cool having a bunch of 16bit sprites running around taking down Evil Dragon :-)  Secret of Mana like x100 

this is not a serious recommendation, because its an action/shooter MMO(ish), and not RPG. but......

Realm of the Mad God  has the kind of graphics you are looking for.  or even better...EIGHT BIT!  8)

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------