Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Not Play

Comments

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Disturbing, but common, point of view: "This game is not for me, nobody should play it"
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by ssunatzu
    Just making my recommendation to those who may be thinking about playing EVE Online. The game will take you 2 years to play before you can actively participate in null security space.  Anything less than this and you will die on a regular basis.  You lose your ship and possibly game time from death encounters. Unless you spend a lot of time 'farming' for replacement ISK(currency) you will have to buy PLEX to support your gaming lifestyle.  The numbers speak for themselves.  This game could be in contention against World of Warcraft but the developers do not see the big picture.  To me this is called, "denial". Tell the game developers you do not approve of this by not playing EVE Online.  Stay away from this game.  Otherwise, you will spend most of your time developing your character.  If you do not mind waiting for about 2 years to play effectvely, then go for it. I plan to do so but I realize as well that it will take me forever before I can play with the Big Boys.

I would play the hell out of EvE if it wasn't in space. I love me some high fantasy and if they could take everything about this game but make it a fantasy game... Well that would be the cats pajamas.

You put pajamas on your cats, too?! We should totally have tea sometime and discuss this mutal interest.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ssunatzussunatzu Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by muthax
    An honest question OP, are you preparing a debate exam or are you just bored ?

lol

I cant give all my secrets away, now can I?

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236
    I played for 2 months before joining a null sec corp and had absolutely no problems.
  • Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    Just making my recommendation to those who may be thinking about playing EVE Online. The game will take you 2 years to play before you can actively participate in null security space.  Anything less than this and you will die on a regular basis.  You lose your ship and possibly game time from death encounters. Unless you spend a lot of time 'farming' for replacement ISK(currency) you will have to buy PLEX to support your gaming lifestyle.  The numbers speak for themselves.  This game could be in contention against World of Warcraft but the developers do not see the big picture.  To me this is called, "denial". Tell the game developers you do not approve of this by not playing EVE Online.  Stay away from this game.  Otherwise, you will spend most of your time developing your character.  If you do not mind waiting for about 2 years to play effectvely, then go for it. I plan to do so but I realize as well that it will take me forever before I can play with the Big Boys.

I can see where you're coming from and yes 2 years is a good number for being awsomeish on EvE. However that to most players isn't a bad thing. Old timers like myself remember games being hardcore. EQ1 and UO at launch had a lot in common with EVE. Rather than bash the game I would have been constructive and said don't play this game unless you want a hardcore experience.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    i tried the free tial 2 weeks ago, and i absolutely recomend the game, its fun in the moment you start understanding how the world works, the only reason i did not subscribed its because the game will consume me to death and i just stoped playing the trial for my own safety in the matter, but i absolutely recommend people to try it, its a fantastic universe with a unique atmosphere.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

CCP can intervene whenever they want to discuss this with me but I doubt they will. So in my small way, I will try to make a difference to the gaming community. Thank you for posting.

your overblown sense of entitlement and worth is just staggering, if EVE was say like WOW what you are in fact saying is, from day one you want to be able to do end game, however as EVE is a "sandbox" you cant compare "leveling" with skill progression, a time sink is required by all of the genre.

Oh and even if you did want to play it like a Themepark game till you felt worthy or entitled in your case, you can grind the missions, but thats not all, from day one you should join a CORP as that is the real reason of EVE, new player friendly corps will assist and guide and even give you work to do, and if you lose your ship many of the corps will replace your ship...

However all this means nothing if your not a corp team player (whole point of game) and your just a over reaching over self-entitled solo player with little ship syndrom.

Waiting for CCP to contact me, wow, just wow......

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I loved this game, played for 5 years and don't play anymore but...

No EVE is what you make of it. Some of it is character skill, most is what actions the player takes (like 95%).

Yes, EVE is 100% about earning ISK, but there are zillions of ways to do it. Freedom of choice is yours, that is why it is a sandbox.

EVE is a slow game for sure with its skill learning time, but the thing is it is set up in such a way that the entire game is slow. I mean it takes real days to manufacture stuff or to research. The stuff that takes a long time is hands off so you can go do other stuff with your corp, for example, while you make a huge batch of ships. However, you can be competitive early on, it depends on what you want to do with the skills you got.

To me, the biggest learning curve, and one that can take longer than the skills your character learns, is to figure out how other players play the game and then manipulate them.

Character development takes no grind though. Even ISK acquisition does not really need grind if you play the market, for example. Or you can choose to grind ISK by doing missions or mining, up to you.

That is the beauty of EVE : it is lots of things to lots of people, but rushing to endgame in a month and competing with the Big Boys is not part of it.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Thank you for your participation.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Well the post shouldn't be "do not play"... It should be "if you're into really non-challenging game and straight learning curve this game isn't for you"...

EVE online is the only game which has a learning curve which constantly throws new stuff to learn at your face as you advance trough the galaxy. The more time you spend playing it, the more you'll learn but there's even more that you didn't learn yet and it almost never stops.

This game requires alot of time to learn and anyone who starts playing it should learn first to stick with mid-sec. security space for few months, but also what you said isn't exactly true. You can play with "big boys" as soon as you learn your skills for the ships you want to drive and get a ship, and ofcourse you have to find a really good corp. to join where some of those "big boys" are. Getting in is hard, but once you're in you get the help you need to advance... Ofcourse you'll never learn everything there is to know in EVE and you'll never be able to learn every skill you need because it takes alot of time later (something like 20 years when I last checked (and it was 2 expansions ago when I checked last, those informations).

Those PLEX aren't really meant for newbs to buy them and sell them to get a ship or something, because that's just stupid... You'll loose that ship in first few hours in low-sec. space anyways. You can do it, but it's a waste of money.

One good thing about PLEX is that you don't have to buy it with money, you can buy it with in-game currency which is fantastic. Play the game in order to play it some more! Why, yes please! We'd need more games that'd offer this kind of deal!

This game is really hard and it's the only game so far that hasn't been dumbed down because bunch of whiners were crying on forums and that's something I'd like to see in other games as well...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Here is the best EvE video to date: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfv1QtZDirY

And the lyrics:

When you find yourself inside a bubble, hold your cloak and wait for me
    always follow orders little bee
    And in your hours of darkness, you will hear instructions come from me
    always follow orders, little bees

little bees, little bees, little bees, little bees
    wait for your instructions, little bees

And when the op has gotten started people in the fleet agree
    in gang chat we will answer, little bees
    And though we may be parted, just go to the gate and you will see
    all your corp mates waiting, little bee

x for pos destruction, little bees

[instrumental]
    Solo

x for pos destruction, little bees

and when the systems laggy, you can lay the blame on ccp
    whine until tomorrow, little bee
    I wake up to the sound of music, uncle suas sings to me
    speaking words of wisdom, little bees

everybody loves you, little bees
    [instrumental]

trust me....when I read your post I chuckled...image

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

TL:DR - As an eight year veteran of EVE Online, I can tell you that starting out right now will leave you far behind the power curve.  No matter what line of bullshit anyone feeds you, you won't be able to compete in nearly any  aspect of the game without six months of skill training.

I can sympathize with the OP.  In February of 2005 it was anyone's game.  In February of 2013 it takes a special kind of patience, or complete ignorance of just how low you start off, to even attempt to play the game.

The biggest two things that you'll have to overcome if you want to play EVE are the power creep and the time sink.  It's probably the most time consuming games I have ever played, and I played it almost daily for five years.  It is honestly like having a second job.  In other MMO's, you can start playing and grind your way to max level and then join the ranks of max level players for end game content.  EVE is not like this.  End game content is whatever you decide to do, and it's not weeks away from a new player, it's literally years away.

I got in at nearly ground level, when the game was still in it's infancy and the most players you could find online during peak hours was maybe 15,000.  Back then you didn't need many SP to compete with other players.  These days players have so many support skills and high level weapon skills, that a new player is little more than cannon fodder.

It requires an enormous investment in time no matter what you decide to do in game, and on top of that, pretty much anything that you decide to do already has dozens of people doing it  far more efficiently than you.  This doesn't mean that you will never be as efficient, but you have an uphill battle against players who have hundreds of millions of skill points and hundreds of billions of ISK like myself.

For instance, if you want to become a manufacturer in the game, then you'll spend months or years just building up the skills.  Then you have to research blueprints or purchase researched blueprints neither of which is cheap.  Then you need a source of materials to manufacture with.  Are you going to mine the minerals yourself or buy them?  Buying them will cut heavily into your profit margin, but mining them yourself will require you owning multiple accounts that do nothing but mine all day in order to feed your manufacturing character with free materials.

Then you'll have to set up some kind of production line, which requires a fair amount of capital investment.  Even when you've done all of this, you're still competing with dozens of guys who have been doing it for a decade, who have unlimited capital and unlike you, they can spend two months selling ships at a loss in your territory, just to push you out of the business cause you can't afford to take losses.  That's just for T1 manufacturing.  T2 manufacturing is a whole different level of skills and resources needed, and even then you're competing with people who have T2 BPO's which you simply will not ever have.

Want to PVP?  Sure everyone will tell you that you can spend a month training and become a tackler, but honestly people only tell you that because tackler is a high risk job in PVP, that more often than not will lead to you being dead and podded.  They don't want to be the guy who ends up dead and podded so they tell all the new players that they can easily get into PVP if they'll just learn to tackle. 

Are you solo PVP'ing?  Well you'll need a good two years of training before you will even come close to winning a fight against my seven year old dedicated PVP'er.  Not only do I have all of my gunnery skills, even the advanced ones, trained to 5, but all of my support skills are trained to five.  In the same exact ship as you, I'm faster, I can travel that fast for longer than you, I'm more agile, my guns shoot further, my guns track better, my guns do far more dps, I have far more capacitor to work with, my drones are faster, my drones are more durable, my un-bonused drones probaby do more DPS than your T1 guns, and oh by the way, I also have an off grid alt in a T3 ship providing gang bonus's to my main.  Most of the time, I can even beat you if I'm flying an Assault Frig and you're flying a Battleship.  You simply won't have the advantages that I have.  My Assault Frig has years of skills behind it, and your Battleship probably doesn't have T2 guns much less a T2 tank without a good six months invested in the game, and that's if you have enough discipline to train only one races ships.

In order to be effective in EVE at this point, you will have to have the patience to specialize your character to do exactly one thing extremely well.  You will have to pick something like ECM and train exclusively to fly ECM ships to the best of your ability, before you should think about flying something else.  Why?  Because there are hundreds of people who can already fly ECM ships at max skill level.  You can try to do a lot of things all at once, but honestly at this point in the game, you'll be shitty at a lot of things instead of good at one thing.

I know this post sounds like you shouldn't even bother with playing EVE, if you're just starting out now.  I'm not trying to say that, I'm just pointing out the reality of the game currently.  You can still be a valuable asset to a corporation one day, but it won't happen overnight.  It will take patience and dedication and a ton of work.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

TL:DR - As an eight year veteran of EVE Online, I can tell you that starting out right now will leave you far behind the power curve.  No matter what line of bullshit anyone feeds you, you won't be able to compete in nearly any  aspect of the game without six months of skill training.

I can sympathize with the OP.  In February of 2005 it was anyone's game.  In February of 2013 it takes a special kind of patience, or complete ignorance of just how low you start off, to even attempt to play the game.

The biggest two things that you'll have to overcome if you want to play EVE are the power creep and the time sink.  It's probably the most time consuming games I have ever played, and I played it almost daily for five years.  It is honestly like having a second job.  In other MMO's, you can start playing and grind your way to max level and then join the ranks of max level players for end game content.  EVE is not like this.  End game content is whatever you decide to do, and it's not weeks away from a new player, it's literally years away.

I got in at nearly ground level, when the game was still in it's infancy and the most players you could find online during peak hours was maybe 15,000.  Back then you didn't need many SP to compete with other players.  These days players have so many support skills and high level weapon skills, that a new player is little more than cannon fodder.

It requires an enormous investment in time no matter what you decide to do in game, and on top of that, pretty much anything that you decide to do already has dozens of people doing it  far more efficiently than you.  This doesn't mean that you will never be as efficient, but you have an uphill battle against players who have hundreds of millions of skill points and hundreds of billions of ISK like myself.

For instance, if you want to become a manufacturer in the game, then you'll spend months or years just building up the skills.  Then you have to research blueprints or purchase researched blueprints neither of which is cheap.  Then you need a source of materials to manufacture with.  Are you going to mine the minerals yourself or buy them?  Buying them will cut heavily into your profit margin, but mining them yourself will require you owning multiple accounts that do nothing but mine all day in order to feed your manufacturing character with free materials.

Then you'll have to set up some kind of production line, which requires a fair amount of capital investment.  Even when you've done all of this, you're still competing with dozens of guys who have been doing it for a decade, who have unlimited capital and unlike you, they can spend two months selling ships at a loss in your territory, just to push you out of the business cause you can't afford to take losses.  That's just for T1 manufacturing.  T2 manufacturing is a whole different level of skills and resources needed, and even then you're competing with people who have T2 BPO's which you simply will not ever have.

Want to PVP?  Sure everyone will tell you that you can spend a month training and become a tackler, but honestly people only tell you that because tackler is a high risk job in PVP, that more often than not will lead to you being dead and podded.  They don't want to be the guy who ends up dead and podded so they tell all the new players that they can easily get into PVP if they'll just learn to tackle. 

Are you solo PVP'ing?  Well you'll need a good two years of training before you will even come close to winning a fight against my seven year old dedicated PVP'er.  Not only do I have all of my gunnery skills, even the advanced ones, trained to 5, but all of my support skills are trained to five.  In the same exact ship as you, I'm faster, I can travel that fast for longer than you, I'm more agile, my guns shoot further, my guns track better, my guns do far more dps, I have far more capacitor to work with, my drones are faster, my drones are more durable, my un-bonused drones probaby do more DPS than your T1 guns, and oh by the way, I also have an off grid alt in a T3 ship providing gang bonus's to my main.  Most of the time, I can even beat you if I'm flying an Assault Frig and you're flying a Battleship.  You simply won't have the advantages that I have.  My Assault Frig has years of skills behind it, and your Battleship probably doesn't have T2 guns much less a T2 tank without a good six months invested in the game, and that's if you have enough discipline to train only one races ships.

In order to be effective in EVE at this point, you will have to have the patience to specialize your character to do exactly one thing extremely well.  You will have to pick something like ECM and train exclusively to fly ECM ships to the best of your ability, before you should think about flying something else.  Why?  Because there are hundreds of people who can already fly ECM ships at max skill level.  You can try to do a lot of things all at once, but honestly at this point in the game, you'll be shitty at a lot of things instead of good at one thing.

I know this post sounds like you shouldn't even bother with playing EVE, if you're just starting out now.  I'm not trying to say that, I'm just pointing out the reality of the game currently.  You can still be a valuable asset to a corporation one day, but it won't happen overnight.  It will take patience and dedication and a ton of work.

Well said  and completly agree I am a 9 yr off and on player.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

...the reality is very simple.  The 'trolls' aside, EVE online will take 2 years as I said before.  I am glad someone agrees with me.  There is a way to offset this discrepancy.  I am working towards that.  Its called multi-boxing.

cya

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

...the reality is very simple.  The 'trolls' aside, EVE online will take 2 years as I said before.  I am glad someone agrees with me.  There is a way to offset this discrepancy.  I am working towards that.  Its called multi-boxing.

cya

Yep, multiboxing is the easiest  legal way to offset the years worth of training you'll need. 

Figure out a good way to earn ISK on multiple characters until you have enough to buy a 2-3 year old PVP character on the character bazaar.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I started in 2005 and I was flying in 0.0-fleetbattles some three month after that... and god forbid we had to train the learning-skills back then.

Seriously. You can easily fly interceptors after a very short time, while still training up some other skills to fly some missions in a cruiser/battlecruiser.
    If you expect to be the king of space after 3 weeks, then this game simply isn't for you, but if you're smart you can have lot's of fun in 0.0 right away.

So, yeah. Thanks for yet another thread from someone who doesn't understand how the game works.

kthxbye

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Anyone that talks about power creep and unfair advantage of older players in-game vs newer ones are talking out their bell end and to see two "veterans" state that boggles my mind... I've been playing EVE on and off for 8 years now and to put it bluntly: if you're willing to put in the time you will be a threat to anyone out there (PVP is easier to get into in this respect, sure you'll lose quite a bit of money but if you stick to frigates and cruiser hulls you can replace these quite easily and as for making isk... well EVE is your oyster in this respect, you can mine, do missions, salvage from mission runners who don't salvage, run PI, run C1 and C2 wormholes with a battlecruiser, etc) and by time I mean getting your ass in motion on youtube and the help channel in EVE and looking up guides and other things on how to do things efficiently or at least as best you can with the materiel you have available (I do missions from my main source of income for example, supplemented by PI, salvage and wormhole running, if I grind my lil heart out I can get enough money to deadspace fit a machariel in a month with more than enough left over for other activities, I also dabble in manufacturing/invention as I have a metric ton of minerals from mission loot).

The short version of it: EVE has no power creep, no unfair advantages, all it has is a brutally honest sandbox and a steep learning curve in terms of what you, as a player, need to know to get the most bang for your buck (waiting for skills to complete is a pain no doubt but if you're willing to jump in you'll find you can work around the training regiments especially now that frigates and tech 1 cruisers aren't the shit of EVE anymore).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Edit:  Not sure why I fell for it.  Trolled by Goons....... image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63
    I honestly haven't played the game jet but I think I will decide for myself how the game is but thank u
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Had no good experiences in low sec.  Closest thing was scaring off a tackler, except he had invited several other friends to join the gangbang by then.

It does take a long time to train to tier 2, which is where the good stuff generally is.  2 years no, but probably 6 months isn't far fetched for players who start out and waste a month just figuring everything out and what they actually want to do.

Now if you have money to spend, you can get there faster, and you don't have to worry about ISK loss, but if you aren't willing to pay more than the subscription fee, you need money making skills, not just pvp skills as you can't really make much money in a pvp ship.

It's dissapointing more than anything else in that insurance doesn't cover outfitting costs, and it's such a long annoying waste of time to outfit a ship.  Some way of making that a little easier while in trading hubs, better insurance, and not needing a corp in order to go pvp would help a lot.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

It's not for everyone. It appeals to a pretty hardcore niché market hence why the sub rate sits around 500k.

I can see why people like it - personally I prefer more 'gameplay' orientated games.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by SuperNick

It's not for everyone. It appeals to a pretty hardcore niché market hence why the sub rate sits around 500k.

I can see why people like it - personally I prefer more 'gameplay' orientated games.

By this he means he prefers his hand held tightly ^^.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    waiting for some one to tell us we can tackle... loool
    thank you for providing me with an additional way to respond in this forum.  I am sure you are intelligent enough to realize you do not have to wait for someone to give you the 'ok' or 'tackle' as you so well put it.  Take your best shot. :-)

wait... no one has noticed this before me? seriously? well okay then.

op... dude... you didn't even play eve long enough to learn what "tackle" means. the guy was agreeing with you. tackling is where you take a ship (usually a frig) and use scramblers to pin down a larger ship so your fleet can kill it. old eve players use it as an excuse ("you can always tackle...") for new players being unviable in pvp. that is: "you may not be able to do much, but you can still tackle." it's a bs excuse, but there it is.

BUT. i... i can't even take your post seriously if you didn't play long enough to learn this really basic jargon. it says two things to me: 1) you probably had a seven or fourteen day trial, and 2) you expected to to be pvp viable after those seven to fourteen days, or even from day one. and well, no. not even close. that's not the case in any multiplayer game. period.

so... go play something that fits your playstyle. which looks to be some arena game with matchmaking.

EDIT: that's not a judgement on arena games. they just seem to me to be the thing the op is looking for.

Originally posted by atticusbc
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    waiting for some one to tell us we can tackle... loool
    thank you for providing me with an additional way to respond in this forum.  I am sure you are intelligent enough to realize you do not have to wait for someone to give you the 'ok' or 'tackle' as you so well put it.  Take your best shot. :-)

wait... no one has noticed this before me? seriously? well okay then.

op... dude... you didn't even play eve long enough to learn what "tackle" means. the guy was agreeing with you. tackling is where you take a ship (usually a frig) and use scramblers to pin down a larger ship so your fleet can kill it. old eve players use it as an excuse ("you can always tackle...") for new players being unviable in pvp. that is: "you may not be able to do much, but you can still tackle." it's a bs excuse, but there it is.

BUT. i... i can't even take your post seriously if you didn't play long enough to learn this really basic jargon. it says two things to me: 1) you probably had a seven or fourteen day trial, and 2) you expected to to be pvp viable after those seven to fourteen days, or even from day one. and well, no. not even close. that's not the case in any multiplayer game. period.

so... go play something that fits your playstyle. which looks to be some arena game with matchmaking.

EDIT: that's not a judgement on arena games. they just seem to me to be the thing the op is looking for.

wow.....you got all that from my response to the 'tackle'? Just for grins, I will respond to your 'tackle and say, why would anyone want to 'tackle' for a fleet knowing full well that they will die? I am assuming you think its 'ok' to do menial work in a fleet, such as, tackling.

1) I have a hard time keeping myself together after reading your comment on the trial period.

2) I can only assume you read something between my lines about me wanting to pvp in 2 weeks of game play.

3) Not sure where the one day idea came from?

4) Do you play EVE?  If so, I hope you were not offended by my saying to stay away from this game.  Apparently, you took offense at my post. I think I did what it was intended to do.

5) Quit apologizing about the judgement on arena games.  No one cares.

6) Last, but not least, comment to the guy on 'tackle' was because I assumed he was making a statement to 'tackle' me in my post.  The sad thing about typing in a chat room like this is you can read things into peoples comments.  And yes, I was bored today with nothing else to do.  This will probably be my last post for the day. Or until someone comes along with something for me to respond to.

ooo one more thing.  

Do you know what 'little bee' is that was mentioned in a previous post?

And, do you have your signature option turned on?  

Sorry, but I kinda threw a sig together on the spur of the moment.  My first respons in like 2 years?  And yea, I was bored.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by SuperNick

By this he means he prefers his hand held tightly ^^.

Do I? Eve is a game centered on simulation. It isn't questing, dungeon running, raiding, multiple characters nor is it focused on combat. It's also a pretty solo experience in comparison to some MMOs out there.

How you somehow came to this hidden meaning behind "I prefer gameplay orientated games" is beyond me.

I make a perfectly decent neutral post with my own opinion on how the game is a little too slow for me and get insulted instead, gg.