Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: Off to a Good Start

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the first Neverwinter beta weekend behind us, we take a look back at our experiences in the Forgotten Realms and review the answers to questions we had before we played. Of course, with every answer came three new questions. See what we came up with before adding your thoughts in the comments.

For good or ill, many of the Neverwinter community’s biggest pre-beta questions were answered. We know, for instance, that the game will ‘ship’ with only five classes: The Greatsword Fighter, the Guardian Fighter, the Dedicated Cleric, the Trickster Rogue and the Control Wizard. Of course, each class will feature both male and female versions so, at least on one level, this seems to be a decent number of classes....that is, until you get a look at the Forgotten Realms Wiki and you see how many more classes there are and how widely varied they can be. What about the Avenger, Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Invoker, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Shaman, Sorcerer, Swordmage, Warden, Warlock and Warlord. Each of those would also potentially have specialized subclasses as well.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Neverwinter: Off to a Good Start.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I personally cannot wait for this game!  I logged many hours in Neverwinter NIghts and all the expansions and it was the most fun I ever had playing single player and with others!  I really hope this succeeds, I can see myself getting lost in this game as well.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

Fair preview, though in parts it seemed a little "attacking" and biased, it is beta still. Comical you started this with a pros and cons line, then stuck to the cons.....is there a pros article coming later?  Companions can certainly use some work, alot of it. I haven't scourged the forums, but I didn't even know about alot of "stability" issues, I take it I was lucky for I didn't have a single disconnect or crash, there was a patched memory leak on saturday. I played a rogue to level 21 and cleric/warrior to levels 4 and 5 just to see how their combat felt.

I hope all the other classes do make it in the game, but fully expected very few classes at launch. You got to have something to buy in a F2P game, after all.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    The pros pretty much were a feature of my Friday Preview though, in fairness, in today's article, I mentioned how great combat was, how much I liked companions, how much more expansive the world actually is than I initially thought and that the potential for a great game is there if, over time, Cryptic pays attention.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Abcynth
    I personally cannot wait for this game!  I logged many hours in Neverwinter NIghts and all the expansions and it was the most fun I ever had playing single player and with others!  I really hope this succeeds, I can see myself getting lost in this game as well.

Don't get your hopes too high.  A lot of negative words are being thrown around the Neverwinter forums.  Most of what I have read amounts to this game not being anything like the NWN series.  From what I have seen in one official video, it looks more like a simplistic action-fighting game, similar to the Fable series.  If you're looking for the depth of DnD, you will probably be disappointed by this game.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by SBFord
    The pros pretty much were a feature of my Friday Preview though, in fairness, in today's article, I mentioned how great combat was, how much I liked companions, how much more expansive the world actually is than I initially thought and that the potential for a great game is there if, over time, Cryptic pays attention.

I will read up on it, thanks. I certainly agree if over time Cryptic pays attention, this could be an excellent game. I'm sad that i didn't spend more time just exploring the areas, the environment is very lively..........I was hoping in your pros I would have found the things I should have been looking for, I will read up on your Friday Preview.

I sure hope they let us toy with the foundry on the next weekend!

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    So far I like the game but I am hoping that they sort out some of the stability issues.  Myself among others could not stay connected to the game, I crashed between 0-5 minutes without fail.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

I had a nice Weekend, did not suffered from DC's, could play straight through. Havin active Blocking back in a Game feels just good. Overall Impression for their "First Beta Weekend" after switching from Alpha to Beta was very good. I have seen some Games which where just worse.

But there are also some downers tbh. Exp is going to fast, Dungeons are to easy by far, no challenge there. Sidekick/Tutor System was not in place and it seems that the "Dungeon Scaling to your/Grp LvL" is not Working at all. Not being able to enter a Dungen cause being some lvl's above is just not good. Also not be able to join a Guildmate because being to "high lvl" is a blocker.

But overall, i cant see things which can not be improved by the comming weeks, so looking forward to see Crafting System and so forth. It was great fun. Keep on good Work Cryptic.

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

Apparently I'm old. D&D doesn't have lots of classes. As of Greyhawk it had 4 main classes plus one specialty class which should only show up once in a blue moon. Other specialty classes showed up over time, but were still rare.

I realize later editions of the game added more classes and made them 'easier' to get, but these editions of the game messed so much with the core mechanics and base simplicity of the game, that they really ceased to be the same game.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    None of the classes really interest me. I think I'll wait and see what else they come up with later. Good write-up, though. As a whole, NW seems to be progressing nicely.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

3 skills + 2 mouse attacks +1 daily skill  :(

• racrisracris Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Anyone have a extra key? If so please let me know. Thanks
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Skuall

You just can't have too many skill options in an action game as most people would not be able to handle it.  Having to respond correctly to a situation or die instantly makes it harsh on having multiple choice combat.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

2 at-will attacks, 3 encounter skills, 2 daily skills, one "special" skill (tab button by default), 3 consumable item keys. You can also switch out the at-wills, encounter and daily skills if you're at a campfire. I may only have gotten to level 14 or so but having so few usable skills at any one time didn't bore me.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

If you do not need 20 skills to be successful.. why do you want 20 skills?

Mechanics are relative to the game you are playing. It takes 20 skills to kill things in one game.. it takes 10 skills in another to kill things.. the result is the same; dead stuff and the rewards. If it works with less skills and is still fun then it makes no difference.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Kaerigan

2 at-will attacks, 3 encounter skills, 2 daily skills, one "special" skill (tab button by default), 3 consumable item keys. You can also switch out the at-wills, encounter and daily skills if you're at a campfire. I may only have gotten to level 14 or so but having so few usable skills at any one time didn't bore me.

Also the 'special' skill changes all the base skills for at least the rogue and the cleric (didn't get around to trying guardian). In stealth all the rogue skills either have additional effects or they become different skills, same with the cleric stance.

The skills are enough given the pace of the combat, and the encounter / daily skill choices add enough variety / choice to combat.

Regarding the companions, I would like them beefed up a little, but make them take up a party slot (ie: undesirable in group situations).

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Kaerigan

Also the 'special' skill changes all the base skills for at least the rogue and the cleric (didn't get around to trying guardian). In stealth all the rogue skills either have additional effects or they become different skills, same with the cleric stance.

Oh, right. Forgot about that. The guardian fighter one does not change things around that much, it's kind of a taunt. It places a DoT on a foe which continues ticking until your foe attacks you.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• officialfiveofficialfive Member UncommonPosts: 55
    The companions need a lot of work specially in the line of more control. There was other down side to the game UI need more work. I love my Cleric she made it to lvl 30 and the Trickster Rouge is sick loved it. Finally a game where I love been a tank Guardian Fighter omg insane.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

You just can't have too many skill options in an action game as most people would not be able to handle it.  Having to respond correctly to a situation or die instantly makes it harsh on having multiple choice combat.

This is completely untrue.  Look at Fighting Games.  You have roughly 20 or so different "moves" per character and it's definitely in the action game category.  An Elementalist in GW2 is another example where you have 20+ different abilities available to you during combat.

Still, I don't think the number of skills in a game has much to do with fun factor.  I've played games where essentially you only have LMB and RMB attacks and maybe 1 or 2 other abilities on top of that and it was just as fun as games with over 40 (WoW for example overwhelms you with situationally useful skills that usually sit on your hotbar used for long periods of time).  Also, Neverwinter has much more skills than this.  For example Guardian Fighter has:

• 2 At Will Attacks
    • 3 Encounter Skills
    • 1 Daily Skill
    • Block (Shift)
    • Tab to Mark Target
    • LMB attack (Cleave)
    • RMB attack (Shield Bash)
    • Shift + LMB (Stab while Shield is up)
    That's 11 different skills to use in combat not counting consumable keys which isn't a small number at all.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

So, let's sum up:

-Extreme low number of classes when compared to Forgotten Realms Wiki.  Hopefully Cryptic can keep on the ball and add more things.

-Heavy use of instances making the world feel small.  Hopefully Cryptic can keep on the ball and add more areas or let the builders do the work for them.

-Very poor companion system compared to SWTOR.  Hopefully Crypti can keep on the ball and fix what is wrong.

-Big time problem with server stability, one that apparently needs to be fixed right away.

So the four things you wrote about all were basically negative more than positive and the best you could say is that hopefully Cryptic addresses these issues.

And this is called Off To A Good Start?  A game, F2P and free to download that is going to be released very shorty and obviously has some serious issues.....and you think they are off to a good start?

What would be off to a mediocre start, or heaven forbid off to a poor start...

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Any game where sword+board tanking class is fun is worth a look from me.
  • DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    For me, its the lack of a class that I want to play.  How in the heck can a company release a game in this day and age with so few classes, from a game that has a boatload of different classes.  This goes right back to many of the games being released only being half done.  I was actually excited for this game till I saw the complete F.U. that cryptic did to its fan base with these class selections.  I never regretted my lifetime sub I did for STO, but I can honestly say I am 500% glad that I did not buy that for this game. I really was looking forward to this game to. Gah, even being free, I may not ever touch this game after the big FU that cryptic gave us.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

They have already stated that they have another 3 classes pretty much ready to go immediately after launch, just they were figuring out how to monetise them.

I would say Ranger and Druid are a safe bet for classes immediately after launch. Hopefully Bard as well.  

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Is there any resource management for healers in this game(mana) or is everything just cooldown based?
  • Luther1972Luther1972 Member Posts: 7

The game sounds like its not even half done.

5 Classes each limited to a single set of weapons / armour and two of them are "fighter"!

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by evilastro

They have already stated that they have another 3 classes pretty much ready to go immediately after launch, just they were figuring out how to monetise them.

I would say Ranger and Druid are a safe bet for classes immediately after launch. Hopefully Bard as well.  

And you believe that, dont you? What is immediately after launch? 1 day, 1 week, 1 month? If the classes were "ready to go" then they should be in the game at launch. According to the mods on their forum, the classes are supposed to be free, so are we really waiting for them to monetise them? While it didn't really affect me in STO, but its been 3 years now and they still havent put in klingon PVE yet, and that was also promised to be put in as well. So, yeah, my faith in them living up to their promises is not very high.