Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P people get what they deserve

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Everytime a game goes F2P we see the same thing. People coming here to whine and cry about what they don't get compared to the people who have either chose to keep their accounts going or have started the game with an elite/paid account. These companies are not making these games for your charity. If a player chooses to pay for a game they should get much better service than the freeloader that feel they are entitled to the same benefits. I pay for the MMOs I choose to play I suppose the exception is GW2 due to it not having the option. In those games that' I dedicate my time and pay for I feel all the people who choose not to pay get what they deserve. I have listened people actually claim that all the limitations that get imposed on F2P are bad business models. Lol  not getting paid is a bad business model. 

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

F2P models are nothing more than an extended trial. So ultimately if a player likes the game they will eventually end up being subscribers or spend similar or more amoutn iin cash shop. So yes in a way F2P players get what they deserve and rightly so. But then again without these F2P crowd your favorite MMO would crumble.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I don't mind FTP games having a 10-15 per month premium charge. What I don't like, however, is when you get these entities that will only release a cool race or costume if you purchase some $200 "founder" pack.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

F2P models are nothing more than an extended trial. So ultimately if a player likes the game they will eventually end up being subscribers or spend similar or more amoutn iin cash shop. So yes in a way F2P players get what they deserve and rightly so. But then again without these F2P crowd your favorite MMO would crumble.

And there will always be people lined up looking for free handouts. Alot of the freeloading crowd will never pay for an account. I know 4 such people. They are also the people I know who don't stay with any MMO  for any period of time and usually complain when they leave them complaining and griping about the limitations they were given.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

This is what SoE has done with there games its basicly a much better trial of the game, and people complain that SoE is a money hungry company despite they offer one of the best trial of any game company out there appart from a complete free to play game which is usualy below adverage quality except for maybe some like GW2. If i were to pick the most greedy company that would be blizzard, most pay sub fee along with $25 mount in the cash shop, then not to mention World of warcraft trading game with ingame items such as the spectral tiger mount that some pople spend hundred of dollars on and not acualy play the card game because they wanted the ingame items that u could only get from the cards some people got seriously carried away with those cards lol wonder how much profit they pulled off those thing lol.

Originally posted by Sijjistoryus
    I don't mind FTP games having a 10-15 per month premium charge. What I don't like, however, is when you get these entities that will only release a cool race or costume if you purchase some $200 "founder" pack.

If there is a market for it, then it's not for you to decide.  I spent  38k on a vehicle that I take offload when. I could have bought a beat up pick up.  Why? Because I like the vehicle and it's my money. There is a market for it. So you can dislike it all you want.  I am sure there are people who will buy it either way. 

Originally posted by cybertrucker

If there is a market for it, then it's not for you to decide.  I spent  38k on a vehicle that I take offload when. I could have bought a beat up pick up.  Why? Because I like the vehicle and it's my money. There is a market for it. So you can dislike it all you want.  I am sure there are people who will buy it either way. 

Yes. However, a dealership selling a 38,000 vehicle isn't going to piss anyone off. Moreover, I said, "I" don't like". I wasn't speaking for anyone else.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

I think it is right to pay once for access to an entire game. I would associate founder's packs closely to a pre-release version of a single payment plan. You pay once and get access to the game, instead of you pay constantly for access to the game and then when you can't afford it, they cut you off. F2P versions of games are like giving people access to the game so that they will be inclined to pay when the time comes that they want that additional access to content or whatever is hidden in the payed version. The players aren't really complaining that they were limited, they were complaining because they couldn't or didn't have money to spend on the payed version. It's really their own fault.

I am a F2P player. I don't have a subscription or a founder's pack for any game. It's been over a year now since I've payed for a game. However, I have spent money in F2P cash shops to aid my process and support the developers/distributors. I believe in supporting good behavior with money when it comes to games. I got what I deserved for my money and so did the developers.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

Well if you don't like Their business model dont support it. As for other freeloaders complaining about whatever gripe they have. Pay first then complain.  If developers give all the freeloaders everything  they clamor for. What's the point in charging for anything.

People will use the weak argument that they have to be able to  see the game to decide if they want to pay for it. Well if your playing the trial version because that's what most of these F2P and there are things you see you want or feel that the paying Crowd gets to many advantages. Then don't complain. Buck up and  pull out your wallets instead of throwing a tantrum like a 3 year old.

Well if you don't like Their business model dont support it. As for other freeloaders complaining about whatever gripe they have. Pay first then complain.  If developers give all the freeloaders everything  they clamor for. What's the point in charging for anything.

People will use the weak argument that they have to be able to  see the game to decide if they want to pay for it. Well if your playing the trial version because that's what most of these F2P and there are things you see you want or feel that the paying Crowd gets to many advantages. Then don't complain. Buck up and  pull out your wallets instead of throwing a tantrum like a 3 year old.

lol. The only person here that is throwing any tantrum is you.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The best things in life are free... but you can keep 'em for the birds and bees.
    Now gimme money... that's what I want....that's what I want, oh-yeh, that's what I want.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Yes. However, a dealership selling a 38,000 vehicle isn't going to piss anyone off. Moreover, I said, "I" don't like". I wasn't speaking for anyone else.

Wait 6 months to a year the 38k vehicle will be 19k one.   Wait 6 months to a year and that founders pack will be in the cash store. Why sweat the small stuff

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Path of Exile.

End of Story

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I haven't seen anyone complaining about how they don't get something for free. image Must have missed it...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• kueykuey Member UncommonPosts: 39

I guess it really depends on what people complain about if I'd agree or not. If you're saying that people who don't pay shouldn't be able to complain (or i.e. have their say, some people struggle to express themselves so it comes across as complaining) then you're rather ignorant of how the f2p model works.

Successful f2p games satisfy both paying customers and non-paying customers because it's those non-paying customers that may or may not become future paying customers. We've seen many games go f2p because of a dwindling playerbase, if all you do is roll out the red carpet for your paying customers and ignore the rest then there won't be any incentive for players to try out the game. Furthermore you'll be stuck with the same problem since the only people hanging around are those willing to pay.

I'm not sure about the rest of you but I know I've been willing to pay for some games and not for others. Personally I found in games where the line between paying and non-paying customers was finer were far more enjoyable with a significantly better community. In games where moneys nets you significantly more than others, I've found that you have quite a few kids (and sadly some older players too) running around on massive ego trips, which I've never found entertaining.

I think what most people fail to realise (and thankfully those who pull the strings usually do realise) is that a lot of complaining is generally from people failing to recognise what they dislike and just venting their displeasure in any way they can. Sure it may be annoying but occasionally there are some legit concerns that may need to be addressed. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

nah .. i like STO enough .. never paid a cent.

F2P model is that the free players become content for the paid players, and the paid players pay for everyone. Some restrictions may apply :P

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

As someone who has spent a little over $300 on LoL(over 2 years)(heros, and IP leveling buffs), around $70 on Mabinogi(pets extra banking),  Made around $50 from wurmOnline(ToS allowed character sale),  Made around $150 on SecondLife(programming ability),  and lots of smaller amounts all over the place.  

The only thing I really think developers are missing are what F2P players really are.   The F2P players are the product they're selling, without interactions from a broad community MMO's are pretty lame and poorly designed games.   Companies would do better to keep all F2P players there and happy in their game.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Hmm, I have been playing Aion some since Christmas, and since I paid nothing for access to the entire game world, all classes and races, and all skills and abilities, I guess I got a lot more than what I deserved.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

You know what?  Maybe they should crumble.  As long as we, the customers, continue to support bad designs the industry won't learn a damn thing and yes some bad games are still around on this model.  We won't all agree on which those are, but I'm sure we could all name a few.

• pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63
    I understand that FTP players get what they deserve but the companies which make this FTP mmo's games over do it when they ask for like $200+ for a simple custom. They should keep it were u pay $7+ a month for membership
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by sanshi44

This is what SoE has done with there games its basicly a much better trial of the game, and people complain that SoE is a money hungry company despite they offer one of the best trial of any game company out there appart from a complete free to play game which is usualy below adverage quality except for maybe some like GW2. If i were to pick the most greedy company that would be blizzard, most pay sub fee along with $25 mount in the cash shop, then not to mention World of warcraft trading game with ingame items such as the spectral tiger mount that some pople spend hundred of dollars on and not acualy play the card game because they wanted the ingame items that u could only get from the cards some people got seriously carried away with those cards lol wonder how much profit they pulled off those thing lol.

You show me a person that was forced to buy a mount from the store, or who was forced to spend money on the card game and I will unsub right now. Those are all a persons choice not some nerfarious act by Blizzard.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Latronus

You know what?  Maybe they should crumble.  As long as we, the customers, continue to support bad designs the industry won't learn a damn thing and yes some bad games are still around on this model.  We won't all agree on which those are, but I'm sure we could all name a few.

What bad design?

i am playing some games for free why others subsidize. What is so bad about it?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Everytime a game goes F2P we see the same thing. People coming here to whine and cry about what they don't get compared to the people who have either chose to keep their accounts going or have started the game with an elite/paid account. These companies are not making these games for your charity. If a player chooses to pay for a game they should get much better service than the freeloader that feel they are entitled to the same benefits. I pay for the MMOs I choose to play I suppose the exception is GW2 due to it not having the option. In those games that' I dedicate my time and pay for I feel all the people who choose not to pay get what they deserve. I have listened people actually claim that all the limitations that get imposed on F2P are bad business models. Lol  not getting paid is a bad business model. 

i feel that you are using the word "free" here to your advantage to blame everyone who doesnt pay a subscription. Let me tell you something. I dont have to pay a subscription just because you dont like free players. And i should not have to sacrifice a game i really want just because its sub only. With that said, I can live with decent limitation for free players. Im totally OK with that. BUT, in game X, the money i spend in the cash shop is AS VALUABLE AS the money you pay in a sub so not all the "free" players play 100% free when the cash shop is full of cool stuff.

Again, dont assume every free player ignores the cash shop. Secondly, If game X limits any kind of progression to free players, AT LEAST they should sell the unlock in the cash shop so free players can purchase it and keep progressing and be competitive. This go back to what i just said, my money is as valuable as yours. If i want to pay a lot of money in the cash shop, i should be able to have (or unlock through the cash shop) everything a subscriber gets.

That is why i abandoned Swtor, Vanguard, and EQ2. No matter how much money i spend in cash shop, my character will forever suck without being able to use either top tier gear or high lvl skills unless i subscribe. As a free player im still paying money, you know? and once again.... These companies get butthurt because their games fail with a sub and then assume that the money spent by free players in the cash shop has no value to their game, only to feed their family. They are wrong. And you, my friend, are wrong too if you think there are no "free" players paying cash shop (even more than your petty sub) on our own will, not because the company is forcing us.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

I agree with OP.

I also understand the F2P model and concern of people thinking that it turns into a carney game.

I don't understand people thinking that they shouldn't be treated different or have no restrictions vs. people whom give money to the game/company.

People need to get paid.  People are not working for free in hopes of your cheers and admiration to shower upon them.

The fact that some people REFUSE to acknowledge that, shows just how truly immature and messed up our entitlement society has gotten.  This is coming from someone whom thinks a social safety net is a good thing btw.  But we have problems and it extends far beyond gaming.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

What bad design?

i am playing some games for free why others subsidize. What is so bad about it?

There's a good chance that the model is not sustainable in the longterm. If that ends up being the case, the industry isn't exactly going to be in great shape.

It will be interesting to see how things are faring in a couple of years. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb