Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give Everyone What They Want!

sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

==TLDR==

Mega server could make different instances with alternative rule-sets; non-combat explorer mode, wPvP, or even private instances that could double as sandboxes.  Lets players choose how they want to play!

==----==

What we know so far about the Mega-server:

"When you want to enter the game no server list appears. You just click “Play” and you are in Tamriel. All players are housed on one “mega server” but in several separated worlds. But these worlds are not stable. The system can add new players to the world or can merge several worlds into one. It is a new technology that sets new MMO standard."  - Source

Can they convert that technology to create instances with different rule-sets, thereforth making a character who can jump between choices like wPvP, PvE, or Exploration instances.  I've seen this suggestion before and it's a great one.  It  allows players to pick how they want to play and then groups them with others.

Different rule-sets would include;

1. Official ESO PvE servers
  2. Official ESO Cyrodiil campaigns
  3. wPvP PvE servers - Players can choose to play the game inside a wPvP zone or Invade another faction's zone.  If they invade a territory then they are spawned from secret camps inside the area with other PvE players who wish to participate in wPvP.  It would replace battlegrounds to something more like queue'n for organized world PvP.
  4. Exploration - All areas of the map are open to players.  There is limited NPC interaction but players are even allowed to travel in Cyrodiil without conflict.  This is so players can explore and meet with other players who like to do the same.  There could be manual flagging system which players can choose FFA or Faction based wPvP.
  5. Private Server - For $14.99 a month you can have your very own private version of the game (like playing ESO with no one else).  This version would be linked to their official progress meaning they would have to play the game to get more options.  As time continues the developers could add content to the private servers such as housing or other roleplaying elements (mimicking mods).  Players are encouraged to invite others into their private server and it could tie into other PvE elements like raiding and dungeons.

*  After time developers could release modifiers.  Modifiers could add features such as a first person only rule-set , food and water needs, or open racial appearence.

By allowing mega servers to give us mega options they could link ESO more closely to it's TES brothers.  One of the overlooked elements is TES is player mods, if developers could offer these options to change their game but still have a persistent repersentation of our character then the possiblities are endless.

With the private server feature you would get 2 games in one; an ESO MMO and a TES sandbox with multiplayer.

1. Instead of the classic PvE, PvP and Roleplaying servers, would you like PvE, wPvP (home), wPvP (invador), Explorer and Private Instance (for the subscribers)? There is a good chance that the mega server could create different instances to mimic "server types".
  2. Would you like modifiers (dev mods) to alter your private instances ? ~ things like; housing, castles, titles, first person rules, need for food and water, cold weather mod, and character appearence.
  3. How would you like an explorer version of ESO?  In this version the NPCs could be unactive and you'll meet with other players who wish to explore.  You could go anywhere, across Cyrodiil (good for scouting), other factoin territories or cities.  People who play the normal game would not see these explorers, only other people who are playing the exploring mode.

Comments

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Am I explaining this clearly?

ESO could finish the game exactly how they intended.  When you chose to play you can go into the official online servers and play with everyone else (like most MMOs) OR if you bought the game you can go into a private version of the online game.

With the private version of the game ESO could slowly turn it into a sandbox mirroring the offical game.  They could release modifiers that alter rules such as first person view lock, open races, housing and castles, wpvp or exploration mode.  Modifiers would be made by ESO developers and mimic popular (and requested) mods for ESO.

Players would be encouraged to play on the official servers or invite people to their private server.  Subscribers could have hundreds of people while b2p may be limited to 2-3 additional players.   It would be like having 2 games in one;  ESO MMO and TES multiplayer.

In addition, world PvP could replace battlegrounds as an alternative PvP system.  You can choose to quest in a PvP enviroment with other players who want to 'invade' other faction territories.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I dont like the idea of private servers as it breaks the Massive" part of mmorpg and pretty much creates another level of separation within the playerbase.

Lets face it there gona go with the current development plan until its run its course.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Or you could you know just not play it if you don't like it and wait on tes 6
  • TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

i like it i hope it works ya im not into private servers myself we had them on UO back in the day we go muckabout with friends and guildys and then go back to the world  and pvp

there more for guilds and friends  

Originally posted by Nitth

I dont like the idea of private servers as it breaks the Massive" part of mmorpg and pretty much creates another level of separation within the playerbase.

Lets face it there gona go with the current development plan until its run its course.

Massive amount of player ready to be played with - private server would be for your house and if you have a subscripton you can invite up to 2000 players to play on your server.  This wouldn't be to seperate players but to give them another way to play together.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Or you could you know just not play it if you don't like it and wait on tes 6

Like what?  This is like 2 games in one, ESO online and then TES with multiplayer.  Not everyone has agreed with what the TES games do, one thing that allows us to change that is mods.  If they can make modiferes that mimic popular TES mods then they could allow us to play ESO how we want to - and then put us with other players who want the same.

Lets say I want to explore, then they could create an instance in which the NPCs are in-active and put everyone who wants to explore in the same instance.  That would be an awesome way to meet players and make friends.

Organized wPvP could replace battlegrounds as an alternative way to play.  If there are enough people who want to wPvP then why not have the mega server create an instance for them?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    All the mega server is going to do is automatic server consolidations.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Originally posted by Tatercake

i like it i hope it works ya im not into private servers myself we had them on UO back in the day we go muckabout with friends and guildys and then go back to the world  and pvp

there more for guilds and friends  

I think the private server should be linked to the main game.  The official game should dictate your overall character progress.   The private server could be used for Raids or other guild events.  Lets say you finish the game on your character, then you would be offered a castle on your private server.  Your castle may have 20 rooms in it and you could invite other players/guildies to stay with you and decorate their room.

Private servers shouldn't seperate players but give them another option to play.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by sapphen

"When you want to enter the game no server list appears. You just click “Play” and you are in Tamriel. All players are housed on one “mega server” but in several separated worlds. But these worlds are not stable. The system can add new players to the world or can merge several worlds into one. It is a new technology that sets new MMO standard."  - Source

that's the biggest problem TESO will have; it will never feel like a persistent world, because players will come and go without any indication at all times.

This is a MAJOR issue for those wanting a persistent world game experience.

Originally posted by nilden
    All the mega server is going to do is automatic server consolidations.

ohh.. but is it?  What we know is that it will put people who have the same likes together in one instance.  They could change the rules of the instances they create to add exploration or wpvp modes for people who want to do it.

Originally posted by Galadourn

that's the biggest problem TESO will have; it will never feel like a persistent world, because players will come and go without any indication at all times.

I wasy we forget the persistent world and work on persistent characters.  In a persistent world you're limited to what people like, with persistent characters joining different worlds it would be like playing on a PvP server one day, PvE the next and maybe RP server inbetween.

Put more focus on characters and how we can play the game.

Oh come on your in some kind of pipe dream if you think there will be more than MEGASERVER ONE. The official Elder Scrolls 3 locked factions we got inspired from Dark Age of Camelot over a decade ago.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

You're the one that suggested this idea in the first place.  You said yourself you wished they had multiple servers like DAoC.  I'm just suggesting they do different types of servers and let you play on the same character between them.

Oh come on your in some kind of pipe dream if you think there will be more than MEGASERVER ONE. The official Elder Scrolls 3 locked factions we got inspired from Dark Age of Camelot over a decade ago.

NOOO!  There is only one megaserver, I'm suggesting that it creates different rulesets according to what people want.  You will have a private instance of ESO online and you can invite people into it but technically you'd be a part of the same megaserver as everyone else.

I wasy we forget the persistent world and work on persistent characters.  In a persistent world you're limited to what people like, with persistent characters joining different worlds it would be like playing on a PvP server one day, PvE the next and maybe RP server inbetween.

That is looking more a MOBA-type of game than an MMORPG.

That is looking more a MOBA-type of game than an MMORPG.

How so?

You would be playing in a massive online world with a bunch of people.  This is nothing like a MOBA.  You character could travel between different instances.  The official Cyrodiil campaign and then the explorer version of Cyrodiil would look identitcal.  One would be for PvP and the other for looking around.

Originally posted by Black_Asp
    Originally posted by Nitth

^^ This, everyone thinks they have great ideas when really they are just terrible.  I say let the people making the game do just that.

Private instances in which you could invite 2 thousand players.

If you are not a subscriber then you could only invite 2-3 people and you would be encouarged to play the official game to progress.  You character would be linked between the official game and private game.  The private game would double as a sandbox to players who enjoy this type.

I can see that you wouldn't enjoy this type BUT that's the great thing about the idea.  It doesn't effect you because you would still have the base game to enjoy.

"When you want to enter the game no server list appears. You just click “Play” and you are in Tamriel."

Hate to pop your balloon. Don't see it happening.

"When you want to enter the game no server list appears. You just click “Play” and you are in Tamriel."

Don't see what happening?  That was a quote from another source.

Also they may be planning to do something very similar to what I suggested.  They talked about an adventure mode, but didn't say what it entails.

I'm not referring to your idea, I'm referring to the overall Megaserver idea of Zenimax; this is somethin AoC is also doing to ease the load on the server side, and look what's happened.

I repeat, creating multiple instances in the same gameworld is the perfect recipe to alienate your playerbase and to NEVER create a sense of community. Instead it will feel like a rollercoaster ride YET AGAIN, going through the nice visuals till you burn yourself out and stop playing.

I had high expectations for TESO, but this is one of the things that made me lose faith. Anyway, lets see how the game launches first. At the end of the day, I'm also hoping EQNext will forever change the way MMOs are played.

I'm not referring to your idea, I'm referring to the overall Megaserver idea of Zenimax; this is somethin AoC is also doing to ease the load on the server side, and look what's happened.

I repeat, creating multiple instances in the same gameworld is the perfect recipe to alienate your playerbase and to NEVER create a sense of community. Instead it will feel like a rollercoaster ride YET AGAIN, going through the nice visuals till you burn yourself out and stop playing.

I had high expectations for TESO, but this is one of the things that made me lose faith. Anyway, lets see how the game launches first. At the end of the day, I'm also hoping EQNext will forever change the way MMOs are played.

What types of communities though ~ how would it benefit the role playing community to play with the standard players.  Look what happens when you throw the wPvP community in with the PvE folks.  We're not alienating communities but putting them together by what they want to do.  This is building communities.

Also they may be planning to do something very similar to what I suggested.  They talked about an adventure mode, but didn't say what it entails.

Quote from another source? At the start of this thread you posted that as what we know about the megaserver. It seems pretty clear and I get no double meaning from it that there is one server you click play. No selection, no switching to types, just one mega server.

I understand your idea. They are not doing it based on what you quoted and linked to.

Quote from another source? At the start of this thread you posted that as what we know about the megaserver. It seems pretty clear and I get no double meaning from it that there is one server you click play. No selection, no switching to types, just one mega server.

I understand your idea. They are not doing it based on what you quoted and linked to.

That's fair.  In the past it was accepted that MMOs have PvE, PvP and Roleplaying servers.  Wouldn't it be cool if they altered the mega server technology so that if we're in the mood for wPvP we could join their game with those rulesets with the same character we PvE with?

We don't know the limitations of the mega-server but it does people in the same server according to peferences.  You would also be able to join a server with your friends - so how would switching server to be with friends be different than switching to an instance that allows wPvP?

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

That's fair.  In the past it was accepted that MMOs have PvE, PvP and Roleplaying servers.  Wouldn't it be cool if they altered the mega server technology so that if we're in the mood for wPvP we could join their game with those rulesets with the same character we PvE with?

We don't know the limitations of the mega-server but it does people in the same server according to peferences.  You would also be able to join a server with your friends - so how would switching server to be with friends be different than switching to an instance that allows wPvP?

Or you could just play on the megaserver and find people of like mind to play with?

In PVE you are playing with everyone from around the world, can play with anyone you want and swtich instances if you need to. 

In PVP you get assigned to a campaign based on your guild affliations. Think of a campaign as a server. Everyone in that campaign plays against one an another. 

That is my understanding of how it works. What your suggecting is limiting the PVE part and mashing the PVP part together...

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

The mega server is a horse sh*t idea.

Yet another step in the wrong direction for MMos

- No sense of community; faceless ppl that que for this , or instanced for that, giving the player no reason to get to know anyone or act accordingly becuase they will probably never see that group of ppl ever again (same attidiude as youtube comments)

- Guilds willl be so numerouse that no one will care, everyones uncle will have a guild, not like daoc where there was MAYBE 15 good guilds, if that.

- There will be no faction prode because, again, no one will know anyone.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com