Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

If the person stating that Arenanet was aiming to kill WoW used "kill WoW" as a hyperbole and metaphor for dethroning WoW, then yes the article linked earier shows that  a dev have done a "dethroning" statement. 

Ah, but people using the "kill WoW" phrase dont use it as anything else but its raw meaning, therefore if GW2 sells 3m and WoW sells 2,7m thats a failure because WoW didnt sell 0, and not everyone stopped playing WoW, therefore GW2 didnt kill WoW and then continue to put words in other peoples mouth about killing WoW.

Thats what i ment about "not too bright point" if you didnt catch the hint and thats exactly what they are doing. Somehow GW2 selling 3m copies is "bad" but at the same time WoW sold less (numbers we actually have now until we get new numbers).

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Another useless thread... "I came on the GW2 forum to tell everybody that I think WoW is better than GW2".

Keep up the good job, you're getting the attention you are craving for.

+fucking 1

@Jean-Luc - LOVE the avatar.  Right on spot ;-)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I bought GW2 because I thought it would have world class group vs group conflict. I was willing to settle for server vs server .What I found is the developers idea of WvW was a 2 week 24/7 pvp match with endless repetative zergs and points used to determine the "winner" of two weeks of mind numbing repetition( then doing it all over like it never happened).

Was the game over hyped? It's in the eye of the beholder.

The game today...good pve....simply awful WvW in my opinion.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by rawfox
    Originally posted by fs23otm

GW2 is still the best MMO on the market... and will remain that way until possibly ESO. 

Not everyone is sharing that opinion.

And thats ok, we dont like all the same stuff.

I for my, are pretty tiered about horse raiding sword swinging second hand phantasies with all these puffy blurry stuff inside.

Its a matter of taste ^^

That's true... I don't think ESO will be better either.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Comcast8888Comcast8888 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    GW2 is a good game with no competition but we all know its going to die when Elder Scrolls and Archeage come out later this year. 
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Comcast8888
    GW2 is a good game with no competition but we all know its going to die when Elder Scrolls and Archeage come out later this year. 

We do?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

I feel disturbance in the force and hear thousand voices crying when ESO launches.

Archeage is not really competition to GW2.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by mikahr

I feel disturbance in the force and hear thousand voices crying when ESO launches.

Archeage is not really competition to GW2.

Are we arguing about whether Archeage is a GW2 killer or not?

This could be interpreted as proof against the OP.

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Are we arguing about whether Archeage is a GW2 killer or not?

This could be interpreted as proof against the OP.

Its pretty much different type of a game.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

I dont know how the game was at start, did not plan to play it as i did not have time at that point. I'm playing it now, for about three weeks. For me, the game is like this:

I've managed to bring a character to 80. Due to the "non-stats-oriented" nature of the game, i expected that the people playing the game to play it for fun. Unfortunately, all i see is "CoF speed runs" and "fractals level xx". Yes, i am in a guild, who describes itself as a "social, non-elitist". I've been rejected for all runs because i'm not the "right" class or the "right" spec. I've tried to look for other guilds, found only "semi-hardcore" - my bet is the casuals left the game already. I'm logging in, doing the PvE daily (unfortunately i cannot complete monthly, as it needs instances) and logging off. In 3 hours of play i manage to earn about 1 gold, while the "speed runners" earn about 20-30.

Dunno, maybe it's just my server, but the whole thing is a big letdown for me as it is now. I feel the game was worth it for the fun i've had during leveling (bought it at half price) and that it has potential - I love the outdoors stuff, unfortunately nothing "good" comes from outdoors, all the incentives are in the instances. I actually did not like the instances i've been in (two of them), maybe it was because i was expected (read: yelled at) to skip cutscenes and to skip mobs to run from boss to boss. I am not interested in doing another instance again. I'm not a gear freak, i'm not interested in legendaries, i've just expected a game where people play "for fun"... farming the 3 dragons with another 2-3 other people and multiple deaths gets old with time. Tried WvW, did not like it, i admit i did not put enough time into it, as the runs i've been in were a mess, no leadership, no tactics. Maybe i'll put some more time in WvW and roll a few alts, i still like the game overall and have hope for it.

Originally posted by simmihi

I dont know how the game was at start, did not plan to play it as i did not have time at that point. I'm playing it now, for about three weeks. For me, the game is like this:

I've managed to bring a character to 80. Due to the "non-stats-oriented" nature of the game, i expected that the people playing the game to play it for fun. Unfortunately, all i see is "CoF speed runs" and "fractals level xx". Yes, i am in a guild, who describes itself as a "social, non-elitist". I've been rejected for all runs because i'm not the "right" class or the "right" spec. I've tried to look for other guilds, found only "semi-hardcore" - my bet is the casuals left the game already. I'm logging in, doing the PvE daily (unfortunately i cannot complete monthly, as it needs instances) and logging off. In 3 hours of play i manage to earn about 1 gold, while the "speed runners" earn about 20-30.

Dunno, maybe it's just my server, but the whole thing is a big letdown for me as it is now. I feel the game was worth it for the fun i've had during leveling (bought it at half price) and that it has potential - I love the outdoors stuff, unfortunately nothing "good" comes from outdoors, all the incentives are in the instances. I actually did not like the instances i've been in (two of them), maybe it was because i was expected (read: yelled at) to skip cutscenes and to skip mobs to run from boss to boss. I am not interested in doing another instance again. I'm not a gear freak, i'm not interested in legendaries, i've just expected a game where people play "for fun"... farming the 3 dragons with another 2-3 other people and multiple deaths gets old with time. Tried WvW, did not like it, i admit i did not put enough time into it, as the runs i've been in were a mess, no leadership, no tactics. Maybe i'll put some more time in WvW and roll a few alts, i still like the game overall and have hope for it.

1. Find a better guild

2. PUGs are bad lot of the times, although i never had problem with pug or seen anyone rejected because of class/spec or level

3. speedruns happen, if you dont want to do them dont join one duh

4. Noone earns 20-30g/hour (well, in a way you describe) i guess you ment 2-3 but its a big slip-up

5. You can go to any server (NA if youre on NA or EU if EU) you like through guesting (on log in screen push "choose server" -> guest) and you can do 2 per 24 hours

6. Guilds are cross server so you can choose any guild you like, server doesnt matter

7. Everything "good" comes from everywhere, i got 2 exotic sets in a little over week without ever stepping into dungeon, just open world and WvWvW (WvWVvW is negligible for rewards except karma and is slowest way to....well....anything...but its by far most fun one :) )

-snip-

1. Find a better guild

2. PUGs are bad lot of the times, although i never had problem with pug or seen anyone rejected because of class/spec or level

3. speedruns happen, if you dont want to do them dont join one duh

4. Noone earns 20-30g/hour (well, in a way you describe) i guess you ment 2-3 but its a big slip-up

5. You can go to any server (NA if youre on NA or EU if EU) you like through guesting (on log in screen push "choose server" -> guest) and you can do 2 per 24 hours

6. Guilds are cross server so you can choose any guild you like, server doesnt matter

1. Yea, was trying to, only found "hardcore" and "semi-hardcore" guilds.

2-3. I don't exactly know how to look for PUG's. Either they dont happen on my server (except LF Berserker Warrior / Mesmer for speedruns) or i dont know. I am willing join a PUG started by others, as i don't have the experience with the instances to lead one myself. I'd rather run with guild anyways. The speedruns happen in my guild, which describes itself as "casual". I cannot join one even if i'd like to, as i've said, "wrong class wrong spec" - yea, "lose the trinity" was an impressive idea if it leads to this.

4. I've clearly said "in 3 hours of play". They earn 7-10g per hour. 

5-6. I did not know that, thanks, maybe i'll start looking for a new place.

2-3. I don't exactly know how to look for PUG's. Either they dont happen on my server (except LF Berserker Warrior / Mesmer for speedruns) or i dont know. I am willing join a PUG started by others, as i don't have the experience with the instances to lead one myself. I'd rather run with guild anyways. The speedruns happen in my guild, which describes itself as "casual". I cannot join one even if i'd like to, as i've said, "wrong class wrong spec" - yea, "lose the trinity" was an impressive idea if it leads to this.

Well, you are in a very bad guild then. Its true that some calsses/builds are more efficient, but if few minutes make that much difference to someone -> ignore. 7-10g/hour is very optimistic and depends on luck, dont fall for PR loot in dungeons aint THAT great and you cant do that much with tokens. It is the fastest way to make gold though.

And if youre not interested in legendaries you dont really need so much gold.

Well, you are in a very bad guild then. Its true that some calsses/builds are more efficient, but if few minutes make that much difference to someone -> ignore. 7-10g/hour is very optimistic and depends on luck, dont fall for PR loot in dungeons aint THAT great and you cant do that much with tokens. It is the fastest way to make gold though.

Yea well, i took their word for it as i don't know exactly how much they do earn. As i've said, i'm not really interested in instances, i don't play for gold or loot, it just seems (and for my guild it is true) that everyone rolled a high crit signet warrior and they do those runs. I'm interested in doing something with other people, ideally outdoors, but as i've said, 3-4 ppl show up at dragons and i've never seen an Orr "temple" run, got some karma saved and could buy 2 armor pieces but the zone is empty. Probably i should focus more on WvW, despite my first "feeling" about the thing.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

The game is fun.  I don't think it has the lasting appeal that other mmorpgs do.  The SPvP scene is pretty bad.  The tournament system should be wiped completely.  Elo and rankings should be put in place (which I think the devs are planning to do).  Balance is always off.  The meta revolves around how fast you can rez your teammate when he goes into the downstate, and how fast you can kill your opponent when he is in the downstate.

NA has a half-dozen teams that completely wreck everybody else, making it very pretty rough for casuals and new players to learn and get better.  It seems like Thieves and Mesmers are always getting nerfed, but then every month somebody finds a new build with those professions to pull off ridiculous burst.

I will say, the core mechanics of the game are very solid and pretty smooth, but there's always room for improvement.

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    still love it.

Yea well, i took their word for it as i don't know exactly how much they do earn. As i've said, i'm not really interested in instances, i don't play for gold or loot, it just seems (and for my guild it is true) that everyone rolled a high crit signet warrior and they do those runs. I'm interested in doing something with other people, ideally outdoors, but as i've said, 3-4 ppl show up at dragons and i've never seen an Orr "temple" run, got some karma saved and could buy 2 armor pieces but the zone is empty. Probably i should focus more on WvW, despite my first "feeling" about the thing.

The only thing you cant do with guesting is WvWvW (its PvE only) so youre stuck on your server for that.

And temples on some servers are uncontested almost 24/7.

You are probably best off on some medium-high pop server. Anyway, try guesting and see how things go.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

What, what? Right class and spec? Dang, what server you on? If you can get to (or are on) Jade Quarry, look up FIRE (Firebats). When we do instances it's always the first five to "x" up in chat and off we go. Anyone that thinks there's a right class and spec never let go of their prior games and probably is running much less efficiently than they could. 

Oh, about "nothing good comes from outdoors", that's not entirely accurate. I've found many exotics from drops out there. Even rares are nice... worst case is you can salvage them for ectos. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I actually started playing GW2 on Ehmry Bay today, (Char Guardian) and 100% completed the 1-15 map. (Ascelon or something like that)

I had some fun, was pretty much as advertised, the storyline felt very similar to SWTOR's, while the open world content was standard fare, but I did like the twist that the title puts on the progression activities.

Like some have said, some of the events do seem to rerun rather too frequently, but perhaps that's only true in the starter zone which might make sense.  I recall standing in one camp when an army of Harpies attacked and there was no one else around and I beat feet out of there leaving the poor NPC's defenders to be slaughtered.  (hey, they were Iron Order anyways) image

Didn't go with any hype or expectations that I wasn't already well aware of, and have to say so far the experience is what I expected. 

Decided to continue onwards to the next zone, but I can see this not having any long term appeal once I get a character (or perhaps 2) to 80 for much of the same reasons I quit SWTOR, not the sort of end game I favor.

But that's OK, fun for a while is all I personally can expect from most titles due to my preferences and that's not a bad thing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

1) I've always noticed the better the player the less they worry about what you bring to the table ...if you run with guild mates and your build is more important than your friendship .."MOVE ON"

2) Not sure about the dragon and orr issues as the server I'm on never has an issue with folks not being present ...in fact I find these events a little too much of a zerg and actually prefer to get off the beaten path myself

3) In WvW I'm just the opposite ...I find the folks on our server are always talking and planning again it takes a little time and effort to become familiar with who are the good commanders and just what to do but lack of communication is never an issue

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by fs23otm

GW2 is still the best MMO on the market... and will remain that way until possibly ESO. 

hehe okay sure and McDonalds makes the best hamburgers too.  Parts of GW2 were good but to many game breaking design decisions to make this game feel like anything close to a gameworld.  Its a decent multiplayer game though.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Still as strong im glad you are enjoying the game forum creator.
  • shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

im 28 years old...im thinking the people that think it is still awesome are the people that basically are in their teens or  havent had too much experience with mmorpgs... u have to think us vets are burnt out of the genre...we been fucked over so much into buying mmorpgs and downloading them that we have a hard shell toward any mmorpg game that goes live. Any mmorpg that was released in 2011- 2012 would have been awesome if it was released like in 2003-2005 timeframe. its kinda like  from what i hear from junkies etc is like getting high. the first high is always the best...after the first you just try to chase that feeling again....its what i goin through with mmorpgs...i dont think none will hold me for longer than 6 months...

FYI gw2 was a good lil rush at first.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

im 28 years old...im thinking the people that think it is still awesome are the people that basically are in their teens or  havent had too much experience with mmorpgs... u have to think us vets are burnt out of the genre...we been fucked over so much into buying mmorpgs and downloading them that we have a hard shell toward any mmorpg game that goes live. Any mmorpg that was released in 2011- 2012 would have been awesome if it was released like in 2003-2005 timeframe. its kinda like  from what i hear from junkies etc is like getting high. the first high is always the best...after the first you just try to chase that feeling again....its what i goin through with mmorpgs...i dont think none will hold me for longer than 6 months...

I been playing online games since the MUD days on BBS.. i have played almost every major MMO release sice they started and feel GW2 is in the top 5 MMOs ever made easy.. really just depends what you are looking for in a MMO or a game in general.. For me GW2 is one of the first MMOs to really nail the living world feel in its zones.. well at least did it better than any MMO before it imho,  of course there is plenty of room for improvements.. very very few MMOs over the past decade lasted me over 6 months but so far still steaming along in GW2 and having a lot of fun and still have a TON i have not done.. I also look forward to many of the releases coming this year as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by shingoukieh

Im a "vet" (older then you) been playing since 2003 since "old school" MMOs and GW2 is breath of fresh air after a lot of stale games (aka WoW clones).

But then my backround is probably different then the rest, DAOC, L2, EvE, got into LOTRO but because of lore and awesome game world Turbine made (spent most of time in EM anyeay ;P ), and i never really got into addiction part as part of EQ/WoW conditioning so i dont have such problems.

And no, i dont long for "good ol' days" because i can still play DAOC, L2, WoW, EQ and remind myself how really bad they are. (and i did if you wonder). And no, not because of graphics or such things (i still play Fallout 1/2 and think those are best RPGs ever made) but because their core issues and design which is, thank the heavens, abandoned for good reasons.

Quite the contrary, i think "EQ/WoW generation" and teens (and people that didnt grow up yet...or have some....other....problems) are quite opposite of what you paint them. GW2 community is surprisingly mature and mostly devoid of those.