Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game an updated DDO?

CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
A few central player hubs with a bunch of dungeons to group up and do? I'm looking over the website and it is trying to positively hype itself so much it is not really saying what the game is

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

It's certainly similar. But there are a lot of open world areas too where players will all do quests alongside each other in.

The meat is definitely dungeons though, and they are SOOOO much better than DDO its not even funny. The combat makes DDO look like an old man farting by comparison.

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    very nice, thanks for the response. I am very interested. I love the graphics
    Originally posted by Cothor
    very nice, thanks for the response. I am very interested. I love the graphics

Ya its a lot of fun. One thing I felt, was that its the first MMO where the combat could hold up easily as a single player action RPG. And i've played a lot of MMOs.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

It's certainly similar. But there are a lot of open world areas too where players will all do quests alongside each other in.

The meat is definitely dungeons though, and they are SOOOO much better than DDO its not even funny. The combat makes DDO look like an old man farting by comparison.

And you are basing this from your own experience or the videos that has been shown recently ?

DDO has one of the better dungeon crawls on the market, complete with puzzles , traps and a narrative DM..

From what I saw from Neverwinter it was a rather simple fair straight from A to point B.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    It does feel like an updated DDO, a very welcomed update to DDO. I will be happy to continue on in Neverwinter, and hooray for not needing to run a dozen hot bars such as in DDO. On a serious note, yes they feel a bit similiar, but I do feel that Neverwinter is a much more "playable" game, even the first dungeon was alot more FUN they anything I ran in DDO.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    A few central player hubs with a bunch of dungeons to group up and do? I'm looking over the website and it is trying to positively hype itself so much it is not really saying what the game is

It has open world questing, with regular events in every zone. So yeah, not really like DDO at all. Also it is based off the 4th edition ruleset, and is far more action oriented. It plays like a mix of TERA and GW2, with the action setup and trinity of TERA but the fluidness / responsiveness of GW2.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by Black_Asp
    It's an exact copy minus the manual reticle targeting and the foundry system.

Is the foundry system real ? Can't really find much info about it. Anyone got a video about it ? I heard it will not be in next beta, just some dungeons made by users with foundry. I am a little sceptical that the foundry works or will be in at release.

More or less the only part about Neverwinter which sounds a little interesting imo.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Neverwinter is a simple, action MMO, with a very basic combat system that is still fun, but a little repetetive. It looks amazing(don't know why the gameplay videos always made it look like crap, the graphics are pretty stunning)

Where the game shines however, and I think the only way it will stand on its own two feet in the long term, is through the foundry.

With that being said, any player looking for a replacement for WoW, or Rift, or DDO, or LOTRO, or Tera, or whatever MMO you play, will be COMPLETELY unsatisifed.  Why? Those games tend to attract players less concerned with story(hence they blow through all content and get to max level asap) and need more actual tangible content.  Neverwinter, as of this beta, is lacking in that content.  Sure there is offficial content, quests, and some stuff, but nothing to compensate for the repetative gameplay.

No, neverwinter will be a game for players who like stories, and I have seen some great player made content in NWO's foundry quests.

its the reason I will be playing. I suspect I will be spending most of my time in the foundry either creating content, or playing it.

For the average player, they can bypass alot of the crappy player made content by picking well rated, high review content.  But many players like to play what has been untested/rated.

In relation to  DDO, no its not DDO at all.  aside from the same combat style in terms of it being an action mmo, everything else about combat is different.  Where DDO adheres to a more standard DnD experience, in how your limited with your abilites, how armor and AC and other stats of the pen and paper work, and with the leveling process itself.

NWO its far more liberal with its combat, all skills are CD bases, so no need to camp after you have used your alotted number of abilites, even the daily power can be used fairly rapidly, as it is based of a resource that is recharged during combat, and can be recharged pretty fast.  Overall, I am disappointed with combat, as ti feels to arbitary, and is more of a nuisance then a challenge to overcome.  In many cases, the best player created content I played, was those with a great story, lots of intuitive mechanics(some of the stuff done with the foundry is awesome), and very little emphasise on combat.  Enough combat to add diversity, and a unnique and powerful boss type enemy once in a while, but other then that, not much.  The official quests are far more light on story, and just cram a ton of enemies into a little space...weak easy to kill enemies at that.  So many enemies in fact, dropping so much loot, that it makes the loot game pathetic.  You still can't beat Skyrims loot system though.  I would rather kill 50 enemies, looting only the weak weapons they are carrying, and then get that one awesome sword from the boss, then have every other mob drop some green item you are just going to sell anyways.

my two cents.

• mastergravymastergravy Member UncommonPosts: 38
    seems like a solid, well put together game. graphics are whats to be expected (very nice). combat is pretty fun and intuitive. this one really does outdo DDO, i believe this one will do a fair job of standing out among other f2P titles as long as the keep the cash shop under control.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Anthur

Is the foundry system real ? Can't really find much info about it. Anyone got a video about it ? I heard it will not be in next beta, just some dungeons made by users with foundry. I am a little sceptical that the foundry works or will be in at release.

More or less the only part about Neverwinter which sounds a little interesting imo.

Its in and it works great. The interface for the foundry is very good too, you can leave reviews, tip the player who made them and they are easy to browse / start.

Did about 5 foundry dungeons over the weekend, and the results were quite impressive. With more time and experience I can see some real gems being made out of this tool.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Did DDO not add large open world type areas as well. . years ago?  The comparison is one I am wondering about myself.  I see the foundry as the major difference.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Anthur

Oh it will be in for release most def, thier other game STO has a similar foundry system.  In all honesty it becomes boring after you make a few missions and no one plays them.

Here is a great 25min preview with lead guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

I think the foundry is NWO will be far more utelized then in STO.  First, STO has, in my opinion, more things keeping you in game, even if it just time sinks.  Just takes longer to get anything done. Missions can be very very long. Plus, the types of players I think attracted to STO are different.  Besides, when STO released it did not have a foundy, and the foundry when introduced was not very publicized and was hard to use, and little help, and was very buggy.

NWO on the other hand, is releasing with the foundy and in far better shape. In fact, from everything I heard when STO opened up the foundry, was that it was really the test bed for NWO, and was never meant to be a fully fleshed out system, where NWO was supposed to have a far more finished version, utilizing what was learned from STO.

As well, DnD is at its heart, an test in imagination.  Star Trek always told the stories to you.  DnD just gave you the background and requried you to tell the story yourself.  I think this will attract far more players eager to create and play others content.  They also incorprate foundry more into the game from what I have seen.  They make it easy to get to a foundry quest wherever you are, as you can talk to a bartender or other NPC's and they will only list foundry content that starts in the same zone your in, so no having to fly across the galaxy to begin a quest.

And sadly, the main reason, is that I think cryptic is relying so much more on the foundry in this game, that they are neglecting official content alot.  I think cryptic can do alot though to make foundry content the meat and potatoes of the game.  They need a more robust peer review system of course.  They should also think about taking the best created content and incorporating into the game outside the foundry.  Say, a particular foundry quest  in a zone gets rave reviews over the course of a week. For the next week, that quest will be available to anyone who runs through that zone, as a quest icon on the mini map just like the official content is.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by jedensuscg

And sadly, the main reason, is that I think cryptic is relying so much more on the foundry in this game, that they are neglecting official content alot.  I think cryptic can do alot though to make foundry content the meat and potatoes of the game.  They need a more robust peer review system of course.  They should also think about taking the best created content and incorporating into the game outside the foundry.  Say, a particular foundry quest  in a zone gets rave reviews over the course of a week. For the next week, that quest will be available to anyone who runs through that zone, as a quest icon on the mini map just like the official content is.

I think that in this case, a heavy reliance on foundry is probably wise, because it allows individual players to play, to at least some extent, their own version of FR while providing a steady stream of dungeons in a way that the devs could never do on their own. Also, individual creation is at the heart of the D&D experience, and the foundry system will be the key to unlocking this particular aspect of the PnP game, which is the one area that DDO really truly fell flat. If the foundry system succeeds, the game as a whole will do just fine; if it doesn't, the game will fall flat on it's face. The fact that the devs seem to understand this and seem to be putting a large number of resources into it is a good sign, but only time will tell if it works or not.

Originally posted by sunshadow21

I think that in this case, a heavy reliance on foundry is probably wise, because it allows individual players to play, to at least some extent, their own version of FR while providing a steady stream of dungeons in a way that the devs could never do on their own. Also, individual creation is at the heart of the D&D experience, and the foundry system will be the key to unlocking this particular aspect of the PnP game, which is the one area that DDO really truly fell flat. If the foundry system succeeds, the game as a whole will do just fine; if it doesn't, the game will fall flat on it's face. The fact that the devs seem to understand this and seem to be putting a large number of resources into it is a good sign, but only time will tell if it works or not.

I agree with you, however, this also hinges on Cryptic putting that focus on the foundry. Just having the foundry available is not enough. It needs strong integegration with the game, so that even players that don't actively look for foundry quests, will still be exposed to the better ones through there normal gameplay.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

No this game is nothing like DDO even for 4E the customization when it comes to builds is very limited and rigid. DDO plays and feel very different.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

DDO may have more complicated dungeons and characters but they certainly never played more fun. Plus too many dungeons looked the same.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

In my opinion DDO was pretty boring without Open World zones (i prefer OW zones over town hub dungeon crawlers any day).

As long as NW has OW Zones ill be happy.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    For me Neverwinter is more towards Lotro than DDO. DDO and nwn shares the same gameplay rules but that's about it.
  • sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by sunshadow21

I agree with you, however, this also hinges on Cryptic putting that focus on the foundry. Just having the foundry available is not enough. It needs strong integegration with the game, so that even players that don't actively look for foundry quests, will still be exposed to the better ones through there normal gameplay.

That is just one of the many details that Cryptic will have to iron out; other games have had foundry like systems, but I have yet to see one that is widely utilized consistently by the majority of the players, so it will be interesting to see how they do with this one.

Originally posted by yaminsux
    For me Neverwinter is more towards Lotro than DDO. DDO and nwn shares the same gameplay rules but that's about it.

This is not accurate at all DDO 3.5E ruleset, a homebrew one.  Neverwinter 4E ruleset, a homebrew one .  3.5E and 4E do not resemble each other at all.  They are totally different.

Both games play very different as well, in no way can you call Neverwinter an updated DDO and this has both advantages and disadvantages depending on your prefered playstyle.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

And that's how they are confusing people..

You see Dungeons and Dragons in the name, and go "hey, I remember Dungeons and Dragons Online! This must be the new version!"

But in reality, its an alternative to the more traditional based D&D system in DDO and more arcade like (with less free flowing choices but a tighter more specific "tree" style growth)

To each his own, but this game is a stretch compared to what we've seen in terms of D&D mechanics we seen from DDO..

Yes the game is very much console or arcade like in gameplay. Also by giving us premade builds (they call them classes but they are builds) you can't gimp yourself no mattoer what options you do choose.

In case some don't know they don't give you a class  and then you build it like you want, they give you builds. 

Fighter is a class, then you can choose a build like "great weapon fighter" or "guardian fighter" depending on how you want to play or you can even make your own wierd flavor build. 

In 3.5e you can seriously gimp yourself if you don't know what you are doing but in 4E they balanced the game by limiting some things so you can't gimp yourself no matter what.

In Neverwinter they take this a step further and don't even allow you to choose fighter but give you great weapon fighter and guardian fighter. They have taken suggested builds and then call them "classes".

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Can we call them Massively Multiplayer Online Medieval Fantasy Brawlers ?   MMOMFBs ???
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Can we call them Massively Multiplayer Online Medieval Fantasy Brawlers ?   MMOMFBs ???

You could but would that be an accurate representation of what they are and would that help fellow peeps that are not in beta have a better understanding of what is offered by the game?

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105

"Is this game an updated DDO? "

No. It's a "Vindictus" with D&D skin + dungeon editor