Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turned off by too many features

2»

Comments

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by supertouchme
    in mmo circles, "innovation" and "convenience" are virtually synonymous. people clamor for things like LFD and instant travel options but those things aren't necessary for creating a worthwhile mmo and they even detract from the experience in some cases. i've actually heard people claim that swtor failed simply because it didn't have lame fucking "quality of life" features. this genre is in a sad state and needs to be blown up.

"sad" from your point of view. "Convenience" is good, from my point of view.

LFD/instance travel .. .is a preference. I prefer the. You don't.

In fact, TOR will be a much better game if it is made an online RPG, instead of a MMO.

EXACTLY.

So for once give us ONE game that doesn't cater to YOU.

Your people and my people are different. We both are interested in DIFFERENT games. I've been saying this for a long time. We need to distinguish between the sub genres of "MMORPGs" what you want is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from what we want. Fair and simple.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981

This is marketing; no one is going to say this game is not for you. The aim of marketing is to increase sales not decrease them. MMOs are no different from any other product in this regard.

If you want to know what’s really on offer, read between the lines. If you want to never be disappointed don’t pre-order.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, when I chose Vanguard as my next MMO, all I really wanted is a classic fantasy MMO with a huge world. Turns out that Vanguard offered (and offers) a TON more than that.

Originally posted by nilden
    It's not about how many features a game has it's about how good they are.

Not even that.

Its about how fun it is to play the actual game as a whole.

Features can contribute to this. But badly implemented features can be perfectly okay as long as they arent in the way of having fun.

Originally posted by Scot

[...] If you want to never be disappointed don’t pre-order.

Well, about that one: I never preordered, and yet I was disappointed by Guild Wars when I finally bought it. I grant you its a great game on some levels, but yet I was bored out of my mind in a matter of days.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by paulytheb
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Thats why all sandboxes inevitably fail.  Promise to much and deliver a hodge podge of a mess.

Oh, give it a break already. You don't like sandboxes. We get it.

Tell me again how big a failure Eve is.

Well he's actually correct. (And I am an avid fan of sandboxes.)

Not all sandboxes collapse on that aspect, but a good many do fail because of a lack of budget/time and they release with a sandbox that usually lacks toys, and in some extreame cases... the very sand itself.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro
    Originally posted by paulytheb
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Thats why all sandboxes inevitably fail.  Promise to much and deliver a hodge podge of a mess.

Oh, give it a break already. You don't like sandboxes. We get it.

Tell me again how big a failure Eve is.

Well he's actually correct. (And I am an avid fan of sandboxes.)

Not all sandboxes collapse on that aspect, but a good many do fail because of a lack of budget/time and they release with a sandbox that usually lacks toys, and in some extreame cases... the very sand itself.

It applies to all games, not just sandbox games. If SWTOR proved anything it's that even a near-limitless budget cannot overcome spreading your gameplay out too thin. The perfect example was the space mini-game. It was a complete waste of development money that could have been spent on making other things better. People notice when gameplay has no depth.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.