Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Radeon cars and not so genuine operating systems

WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

I have heard that Radeon cards will not work on not so genuine operating systems, is this still true or is there a way around it these days?

Thanks for any replies....

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Wrender

I have heard that Radeon cards will not work on not so genuine operating systems, is this still true or is there a way around it these days?

bad, bad boy!!!!!

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Now did I say anything about anything being illegal? :)~   ???
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

You could get it to work with a genuine, free copy of Linux.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&lang=English

No DirectX support, though.  I'm sure that's not what you meant, of course.

Alternatively, you could just get a genuine copy of Windows, and then it will work.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Aori

Then i'm not understanding your question. A non genuine computer to me is a windows PC without a unique CoA attached to it. Which would be illegal.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Then i'm not understanding your question. A non genuine computer to me is a windows PC without a unique CoA attached to it. Which would be illegal.

Here are some non-genuine computers that are completely legal:

http://www.propsbyidm.com/computers.htm

But Radeon cards won't work with those, either.  :D

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I have heard that Radeon cards will not work on not so genuine operating systems, is this still true or is there a way around it these days?Thanks for any replies....

I don't think there is any truth to this.

I know for a fact I have installed AMD drivers on systems prior to validation.

Once validation is required, either via use past the validation expiration, or by changing of hardware, Vista ~used~ to go into reduced usability mode and require you to shut down. That was patched out in VistaSP1, and Win7/8 use a different method of "encouraging" legitimate use - disabling of Aero, black background with a "Don't Pirate" type slogan, non-allowing of any Microsoft updates (except critical updates) - but I don't think it locks down driver installation.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

When I was in grad school last year, my motherboard died, so I had to scrape together some money to get a new one.  I didn't know at the time that I would also need a new copy of Windows.  I didn't have any extra money (at least not the 99$ for the cheapest oem version of Win 7 at the time) so, I ended up getting a erm.."not so genuine operating version of Win 7."  Had a radeon 5570 that I had scraped together the money for the year before, and it worked fine.  Though, once I got my first real paying job out of grad school, I still felt so guilty that I went out and bought a ligit copy of Windows with my first check.  I have to admit that society has done a good number on my view of piracy of games, it sure made me feel shitty.  Damn conscious.

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Busted.  I'm calling William.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

When I was in grad school last year, my motherboard died, so I had to scrape together some money to get a new one.  I didn't know at the time that I would also need a new copy of Windows.  I didn't have any extra money (at least not the 99$ for the cheapest oem version of Win 7 at the time) so, I ended up getting a erm.."not so genuine operating version of Win 7."  Had a radeon 5570 that I had scraped together the money for the year before, and it worked fine.  Though, once I got my first real paying job out of grad school, I still felt so guilty that I went out and bought a ligit copy of Windows with my first check.  I have to admit that society has done a good number on my view of piracy of games, it sure made me feel shitty.  Damn conscious.

Why would you have needed a new copy of Windows?  I changed some things and just called them up and presto . . no issues.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Radeon cars are definitely not genuine... I don't even know that they make cars lol :P

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

If it's winxp it will run whatever you want no matter how illegal it is.

Win 7?  my stuff works fine :P

But here's what I have to wonder.  Why would radeon choose to make stuff not work on pirated OS's?  What exactly is the point of that?  Sounds like an urban myth more than anything.

Originally posted by adam_nox

If it's winxp it will run whatever you want no matter how illegal it is.

Win 7?  my stuff works fine :P

But here's what I have to wonder.  Why would radeon choose to make stuff not work on pirated OS's?  What exactly is the point of that?  Sounds like an urban myth more than anything.

AMD wouldn't, but Microsoft could disable some stuff if they thought it was pirated.  Though if they were messing with drivers that way, I doubt they'd treat AMD graphics any different from Nvidia.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Radeon cars are definitely not genuine... I don't even know that they make cars lol :P

If a car company wanted to pay AMD to let them license the Radeon brand name and logo, AMD would probably be willing to take the money.  That's how it played out with memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820103035

That's actually Patriot memory, by the way.

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Pirate Cars FTW ARGGGggggg... oh

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Now here's a thing I don't understand. A PC gamer is quite happy to chuck out 1000 USD for his new computer, paying 200+ USD a year on games, but cringes at the idea of having to spend 100 bucks for an operating system that will last him two or more CPUs.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by tom_gore
    Now here's a thing I don't understand. A PC gamer is quite happy to chuck out 1000 USD for his new computer, paying 200+ USD a year on games, but cringes at the idea of having to spend 100 bucks for an operating system that will last him two or more CPUs.

Same rationale for Napster: Why are people so willing to pirate music when it only costs $0.99?

Free trumps any price point. It's not that they don't want to pay for it, it's that there is the option of getting it for free (even if it's somewhat illegal).

The instant Apple or Google start charging for tablet/phone OS upgrades, you will see the exact same thing happen (and who knows, that could come any day now).