Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Whens the last time a AAA game let you be truly evil?

DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member
Seriously whens the last time a AAA game let you be truly evil? Im not talking about being renegade in ME im talking about what if you could have joined the reapers? The last thing I can remember is Warhammer online and Fable 3. Games now these days are all about being the hero. I wanna be the villian. What about you? 

Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

Comments

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

If you are talking about AAA themeparks, I would have to throw SWTOR into that category. I think playing dark side on the empire lets you do some pretty evil things. I don't think it gets much more evil than lying, torturing and wantonly murdering people. But that is scripted and you are forced down a predetermined path of evil. It's not very meaningful, unless you like to be scripted into the role of being a villain. 

I think SWTOR would give you what you're looking for, though.

If you want to be evil (or good) in a more free form environment, you could play a game like Mortal Online or Darkfall: UW and go around camping noobs and taking all their stuff. But it wouldn't be very meaningful, I think, because there are a lot of evil players by that definition, so you wouldn't stand out much unless you were really focused on it. The better players would just find it pathetic. 

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    i guess i would have to say swtor.. you can play a real d*ck especially on the sith side if you want to... you also get to torture people and execute lots as well.. ES games are great for this as well you can just run around and slaughter everyone...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KehdarKehdar La SpeziaPosts: 440Member Uncommon
    Mhh... Fable, GTA, Saint Row and Elder Scroll series.
  • akiira69akiira69 San Diego, CAPosts: 590Member Uncommon

Star Wars the Old Republic

Lineage 2

EVE Online

All 3 of these games will allow you to be truly evil.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Llandrindod WellsPosts: 364Member

SWTOR doesn't allow you to be evil. It allows you a semblence of evil. It's produced evil. Very much evil-lite. May as well be called "I Can't Believe It's Not Evil."

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,994Member Uncommon
    EVE online lets you be truely evil, and not surprisingly some folks really are.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Centreville, VAPosts: 1,690Member Uncommon

You can choose path to the dark side for every class in SWTOR...

Here is my favorite compliation of evilness in SWTOR on video:).. though it's not the most extreme...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_115040&v=dUydrvpExHI&hd=1&src_vid=DWkmXrYW1Xw

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,908Member Uncommon
    In TOR I cut off a mans head and handed it to his widow, seemed to be a pretty evil thing to do to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• HrimnirHrimnir Qeynos, COPosts: 1,597Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Seriously whens the last time a AAA game let you be truly evil? Im not talking about being renegade in ME im talking about what if you could have joined the reapers? The last thing I can remember is Warhammer online and Fable 3. Games now these days are all about being the hero. I wanna be the villian. What about you? 

Fable 3? NOT AN MMO.

Anyways, EQ1.

Only game that was "themeparky" that had true honest to god factions.  You could kill any NPC anywhere, anytime.  Well, you could try.  Obviously some NPCs were gonna kick the bloody shite out of you.  But, if you wanted to tank your High Elf faction by running around the newbie zone hosing the newbie guards, you could.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member
    I posted this in the GENERAL GAMING sections. So im not just talking about mmos here.....

Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,924Member Uncommon
    Eh... depends a lot really. I'm the type that doesn't really like the 'good vs evil' type deals, as I like more complex situations which really, there typically is NOT a good and evil side to things. That being said, there are cases I can definently see if you overexagerating things for the purpose of having a more 'evil' side. I just don't see it really doin well in terms of story or lore as making the world more interesting, just more 'fake' feeling.
  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,908Member Uncommon
    I posted this in the GENERAL GAMING sections. So im not just talking about mmos here.....

FO3

FONV

Skyrim

Dayz

X-series

In recent memory that's all I've got on the non-mmo front.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• Mondo80Mondo80 Newington, CTPosts: 189Member Uncommon
    Overlord 1 and 2, Dungeon Keeper, Sims Mideval ( my king beat up peasents for laughs (cruel trait) then tossed them in a monster pit), the sith game, Warcraft 3 the undead story arc, the Fable series and in Galactic Civilizations 2: Twightlight of the Arnor both the Drengin and Korath races are as evil as possible.

• MagnetiaMagnetia SydneyPosts: 1,029Member Uncommon

Skyrim 

Red Dead Redemption

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG MelbournePosts: 1,133Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

SWTOR doesn't allow you to be evil. It allows you a semblence of evil. It's produced evil. Very much evil-lite. May as well be called "I Can't Believe It's Not Evil."

I think you've confused "chaos" with "evil"

Evil is the intent, as in where you have decided to do harm to others to further your own goals (regardless of what your goals might be).

Chaos is the act of acting without regard for others or rules itself.

That's why in D&D there is the bi-direction scale of Lawful Neutral Chaotic and Good Neutral Evil for Alignment, so you can distinguish what type of personality you are (rational, irrational, unpredictable, etc) instead of just what kind of person you are (good ort evil).

I think it is fairer to say that in swtor you are allowed to be evil, but there are more constraints to it (ie. lawful mostly, you can't really go out and kill random vendors like a maniac).

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,277Member Uncommon

As we speak. Age of Wushu. Not only pure evil, but varing degrees of evil, neutral and good.

I'm playing a pure evil character. I've done almost no good. There are some people that are not as clean cut. For example lets say you've done 100 evil deeds and 51 good deeds. That person would be classified as a lunitic. The system allows you to be you. It ill classify you accordingly without you having to chase it. 

Not only are there ranges, but there are rankings and titles and punisment. Punishment given if you school is not evil, but you are constantly doing evil deads. 

Evil deeds don't just come from killing either. It's the most in depth alignment system I've played. All the way down to NPCs treating you differently depending on alignment. 

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member

Depends on what you mean by truly evil, OP.

In Mortal Kombat 9, you kill people as brutally as possible because some guy says so.  In SWTOR, you are evil, but you do have a code, so it's Lawful Evil if we're going by D&D terms.   In Dungeonland, you throw around a bunch of cute looking monsters that kill your friends brutally.  Is that evil?

In the AVP games, you can play Aliens and Predators, and some would call those evil.  In Man Hunt, you make snuff films.  In a lot of open world games, like GTA and Skyrim, you can do some really evil things.

At the end of the day, the game where I felt that I was a truly dark-hearted true master of evil though, was Legacy of Kain, the 1996 original (less so in the sequels).  You walk by and people are pleading for you to help them, and you hit them will a ball of vampire magic that rips off their flesh, lol.  Or, you drain their blood, or transform them into a pile of maggots, or whatever.  What made the game really stand out though, was the amazing voice descriptions of each power, detailing how much Kain delighted in the agony he was causing.  Good times.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,665Member Uncommon
    Seriously whens the last time a AAA game let you be truly evil? 

Like poisoning the neighbor's dog to punish the neighbor?

Or doing mutation experiments on a captured enemy?

You can do that in World of Warcraft.

Do you mean joining a guild, working your way to their elite guard and then, in the middle of a fighting tournament being watched by tens of thousands, turn on your own team and slaughter them - all part of an elaborate act of vengeance against one of the guild leaders that slighted you years before?

You can do that in EVE Online.

Do you mean forcing another player's character into the slave trade or, for a quicker but probably less profitable fix of evil, just rape and torture them for a while?

You can do that in Sociolotron.

In single player games, you've got GTA, Skyrim, and Saint's Row as three high profile examples.

There are different ways to be evil or play an evil character (two completely different things) and several MMOs support one or both to varying degrees.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Seriously whens the last time a AAA game let you be truly evil?

Never. Milqtoast evil is the best you can manage, while still maintaining your account.

"True" evil requires you to violate other player's rights,

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Skyrim
    Fallout 3
    Eve
  • rpg_gunnerrpg_gunner Green Cove Springs, FLPosts: 80Member
    Elder Scroll series!!!