Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TenTonHammer.com - Hands-On - "The world lives and breathes, and players are the emperors of their o

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Open World Sandbox

One of the other major points we talked about was how Wushu is ultimately an open world sandbox. The community has a big impact on development, but Wushu itself is mostly a community game. The biggest comparison is EVE Online in China, pretty much. Players run the markets, players craft needed supplies (like food, which is only available from players), players participate in events, and so much more...

entire article here

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

I am really on the fence regarding AoW. I did try it for about seven hours, but the translations (or lack thereof) and the Asian theme were really off-putting for me. Yeah, I know the translations are becoming a clichéd complaint, and regardless, I might give it another go because I keep seeing people like the OP (and the linked article) discussing how amazing the game is.

On a side note, that guy scaling the all looks way too much like the leads from Assassin's Creed, heh.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Cypt1

I am really on the fence regarding AoW. I did try it for about seven hours, but the translations (or lack thereof) and the Asian theme were really off-putting for me. Yeah, I know the translations are becoming a clichéd complaint, and regardoless, I might give it another go because I keep seeing people like the OP (and the linked article) discussing how amazing the game is. Maybe I just need to give it another go.

On a side note, that guy scaling the all looks way too much like the leads from Assassin's Creed, heh.

haha he does! 

It's a long haul game. It was a shock to me at first too. I played for about 3 hours the first day. Then a few hours here and there the first couple weeks of CB1. It didn't really hit me until they closed CB1. Those few hours here and there had been become a part of my gaming. I missed the game... It was all over for me once CB2 started.

Over the last few years we've become accustomed to front loaded games.  Fighting 40 foot monsters, or  visions of the end within the first 10 of the game. AoW just ain't built like that.

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by bcbully

Over the last few years we've become accustomed to front loaded games.  Fighting 40 foot monsters, or  visions of the end within the first 10 of the game. AoW just ain't built like that.

Yeah, and I'm personally pretty sick of being greeted as a "hero" from  the moment I exit the character creator. It seems as if most of the modern theme park games, of which I've tried the majority that released over the past several years, don't give you any sense of earning that moniker.

Anyway, as a huge fan of player-operated economies--and feeling like I missed the boat with EVE--like I said in my first post, the temptation to reinstall is definitely there with AoW.  If they keep "polishing" it during the beta as the article says, hoping that includes updated translations.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

This game is full of good ideas, but the technical excecution is quite horrible atm. I'll give it a year or two to mature before truly investing my time.

Originally posted by tom_gore

This game is full of good ideas, but the technical excecution is quite horrible atm. I'll give it a year or two to mature before truly investing my time.

If you don't mind could you tell us about the  "technical issues" you've encounterd? I'm asking because I've been amazed at the way all these new systems work so well.

The designs are beyond my relm of conception. I never would have thought of this stuff, if I did, I'm sure it wouldn't work like I planned.

edit- nothing at all wrong with waiting btw. 

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

lets fix it

VIP Features

use a few life skills that aren’t available to free players (and makes the Musician skill a bit easier)

only 1 divination            musician can use attacking skills, it isnt easier to lvl/use musician songs

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by AresPL

lets fix it

VIP Features

use a few life skills that aren’t available to free players (and makes the Musician skill a bit easier)

only 1 divination            musician can use attacking skills, it isnt easier to lvl/use musician songs

It is easier to level with vip

the song autoplays after about 20% is done.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

There are some things I really liked about it, but overall, just couldn't get into it.  I wonder if I'm another one of these people who might get hooked on taking another go at it, but I'm afraid it comes down to whether or not getting into the PvP is necessary for that.

I look at the EVE comparison, and think, maybe I should admit something here.  I played EVE for a few months, but never PvP'd.  Not once.  Never even got ganked.  When I explored low sec space, I used a disposable frigate, but never ended up losing it.  Mostly, I just got into screwing around with the missions, trying to get the best ship loadout, some mining, etc.  I'm not exactly sure how that held my interest, but it did, for at least a while.  No PvP required.

I couldn't seem to find the same sort of groove in AoW, though.  Was it just that I didn't spend enough time figuring it out, or does the EVE comparison not really hold up, given my playstyle?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93

I gave this game a second go as I wrote it off too quickly the first time around. 

Man it is waaaaaaaay better than I thought. Now I'm hooked. Haven't felt this way since my first game. It's fabulous. Anyway, got to go....back to the game :)

This is one on the better write ups, looking back on things.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

What they describe as sandbox does not make it a sanbox game..

yes a player run econamy is a good part of a sandbox game.. but that alone does not make it a sandbox..

its a themepark with a plater run econamy.. yes a good step in the right direction but thats its..

I didnt enjoy my time testing this game, graphics where out dated, movement and combat felt clunky, UI was well just bad..

Maybe i should force myself to play it more so i can see this so caleld amazing PVP.. i guess ill give it another go on release..

Originally posted by Caldrin

What they describe as sandbox does not make it a sanbox game..

yes a player run econamy is a good part of a sandbox game.. but that alone does not make it a sandbox..

its a themepark with a plater run econamy.. yes a good step in the right direction but thats its..

I didnt enjoy my time testing this game, graphics where out dated, movement and combat felt clunky, UI was well just bad..

Maybe i should force myself to play it more so i can see this so caleld amazing PVP.. i guess ill give it another go on release..

No it doesn't. Everything else does.

As far as combat, this aint your grandma's circle straifer. that's forsure.

You ever play EVE? Do you remember your first few hours in that game? Hope you do give it a go at launch. Put some time in, it's worth it. AoW will make you F^%6 yeah!

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    depends from point of view, not long ago I saw trailer of one game where dev said that core element of sandpark is that he can do what he want, not just grind till lvl cap or forever questing like in most mmos, he dont have one straight road to follow