Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar: Kate Flack Talks Design

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware Mythic is currently hard at work bringing Ultima IV to a new generation of players in the form of Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar. In a new interview at Gamasutra, Lead Designer Kate Flack talks about free to play, casual gamers and much much more.

Somewhat more complex choices like that are interesting. I think the iPad and free-to-play tend to try to address a somewhat more casual audience -- if not directly, at least they try to include them -- so I think it will be interesting to see how you can try to bring those players into the idea of these choices being something that you make.

KF: It's not that different to a personality test. Those have always been massively popular because people love finding out about themselves; we're our own favorite subject. I try and present it and think of it, if you're a more casual player, as being more like a personality test; you end up with the character you deserve or who reflects who you are.

Read more at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I want that map for my wall.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Thank the gaming gods for this Article. I was thinking this was going to be another game on my plate which is already pretty full, but who can pass up a new Ultima? Apparently I can lol. After reading all of that and as someone that has played and still owns all the Ultimas and UO as well as the Ultima Online McFarlane figures :P I have zero interest in this.

Good article but I'll pass. Good luck to all that decide to play! 

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

I'd like to buy 5 points in compassion and 10 points in humility at the cash shop, please.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Well, Warhammer Online was a well crafted fantastic example of how to spend $300 million dollars. I can only assume this will be as good.

/sarcasm

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

I loved Ultima, but with the IP still in the hands of EA, i'd rather bang my head against an anvil than go near it after witnessing how they slaughtered Ultima online.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

God damn it MMORPG. I had nearly forgotten that this abortion of a game was being worked on. Thanks for bringing up all that hate and loathing again.

Did they not soddomize the franchise and its fans enough with Ultima 8 & 9? Did they not feel that it was ruined enough? Do they just want to crush that last little speck of glimmering hope that someday the Ultima name might once again be associated with incredibly deep and complex RPGs?

'Virtue points?' ARE YOU KIDDING M.... fuck it. I need a drink and some aspirin now. Drown in shit, EA.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Grakulen

it would make a nice wall poster, just like the one that came with Skyrim

• CerthaxCerthax Member Posts: 5
    As a big fan of Ultima i will not try this.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Certhas

As a big fan of Ultima, I'm not that thrilled either.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

As a fellow fan, I will try this.

Can't be worse than Ultima 9.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73

As a HUGE fan of Ultima, I also will not try this. What a shame.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Draw it yourself?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by 4bsolute
    Originally posted by Grakulen I want that map for my wall.
    Draw it yourself?

Internet + printer?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I'm a big fan also. I'll try it ...
  • The map looks great and very faithful to the series, but what I want to see is actual gameplay.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    :| Is this that single player/co op game with cash shop that EA is making>? ^^ lulz

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah im not sure either what to think of this one mythic is on skeleton crew for staff . They do not even hardly update warhammer online anymore or the community manager probably shows up on their own forums maybe once every couple of weeks. I cannot even imagine with how small staved they are now if this game would even be remotely an mmorpg let alone fun.
  • Outkast22Outkast22 Member Posts: 51
    Alright lets talk design, its poor, now let us move on!
  • sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Loved UO. Won't even visit the website of this game.

EA is behind which guarantees it will be a steaming pile of poo.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    RIP Origin.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77

Oh how I loved UO in the early years... what a great game.

Will not even think about getting anywhere near this title.

/garbage in

/garbage out

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Make a few copies and place then in a pile by your toilet.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Loved the original Ultimas

Played Ultima Online for 6 years

Tried Lord of Ultima for a few months ( absolute pay to win)

This just sounds horrible all around, I can´t even believe it is being made..

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This game is just living on the idea someone else built, namely Richard Garriott.  Whether it's successful or not, it will still be a shamble of the enterprise once created.

EA in charge? no thank you.  The original Ultima games are true classics .. having EA step in to control the ultima universe is a travesty.  It's not Ultima, it's EA.  it just uses the cover of Ultima .. just like EA used the cover of BioWare or Mythic.

EA gets game IP's and ruins them.  This game will never have the innovation or creativity of the original Ultima Series.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Wait so is this an ultima PC game? Or is it a tablet game. Either way that's kind of cool they are trying to bring it to new gamers.