Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG, lessons learned!

2»

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by xpowderx

To sum this up. This is my list of reasons why mmos are missing the And on the other hand we see why the games that have been too strict always fail:

1. Too much instant gratification.

No loot, especially after launch, people are wondering around not getting rewarded at all none of the chests drop anything worth the time to get to them or find them and the economy fails, this explains GW2 post Nov 15 2012.

2. A lack of Immersion!

So much immersion it take forever to get anywhere especially if you are a new player and the requirements for travel and both expensive and lengthy, people get tired of walking to their destinations all the time. AoC was bad about this in the beginning.

3.No feeling of accomplish for finishing a  quest or set of quests.

Questing being so difficult that you have to bring a 5-10 man party for everyhting, seen this in a couple of games, it's boring to have to use 4 more people or queue all the time just to do anything meaningful in a title, there's plenty of things someone do solo if only they'd program it. Did you think that everyone did everything with someone else in midieval times? NO they didn't.

4. No random surprises.

The game becomes nothing but random encounters, every two steps stops you and takes you to "the encounter screen" where you  spend long hours trying to defend yourself against a party of wolves with nothing but a stick and a rusty knife almost dying in the process twice.

5. No fear factor or risk.

The permadeath thing has been beaten to a pulp, no it's never coming back get over it already. Seriously there's more important things to worry about like developers lying to the public about their game design.

6. System failure as per grouping.

not sure what you're talking about here so I'll just reitterate that requiring grouping to go count the number of bandits holding the princess hostage is not a very exciting method of questing.

7. Lack of  content.

What you call lack of content I might call plenty, gonna have to come up with a better thing then that to argue with.

8.Cash shops

Again not a valid argument. Cash shops are fine so long as they don't interfere with normal gameplay. Let's look at what happened to GW2. Post launch they decided to force people to go to the cash shop for gold to do everything in the game, so they nerfed loot in the open world so that people could no longer earn valuables even while not grouping in the open world (open world events were supposed to be their focus) so in this case since there's only 1 type of valuable currency that one has to use for everything the shop is the only viable place to get the gold. That and having a shop be the place where you get the best gear are the only times cash shops stand in the way of gameplay. Otherwise your argument that ALL cash shops are bad is invalid.

Probably more. But have alot to do today. Can continue later. So what ya think :-D

So what I'm seeing here is there's alot of bad ideas trying to come back just because someone wants to have some strut time on a game where he can flash his epeen. 

We don't need MORE elitism we need less.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by itgrowls

To sum this up. This is my list of reasons why mmos are missing the And on the other hand we see why the games that have been too strict always fail: Care to give examples?

1. Too much instant gratification.

No loot, especially after launch, people are wondering around not getting rewarded at all none of the chests drop anything worth the time to get to them or find them and the economy fails, this explains GW2 post Nov 15 2012. I for one never said no loot. Reading this reminds me of why I came to the initial assertion of "Instant Gratification.

2. A lack of Immersion!

So much immersion it take forever to get anywhere especially if you are a new player and the requirements for travel and both expensive and lengthy, people get tired of walking to their destinations all the time. AoC was bad about this in the beginning. Again, you are adding things that I never said. Who said the requirements include expensive and lengthy? I do see a pattern here :-D

3.No feeling of accomplish for finishing a  quest or set of quests.

Questing being so difficult that you have to bring a 5-10 man party for everyhting, seen this in a couple of games, it's boring to have to use 4 more people or queue all the time just to do anything meaningful in a title, there's plenty of things someone do solo if only they'd program it. Did you think that everyone did everything with someone else in midieval times? NO they didn't. What does the feeling of accomplishment have to do with having to group?  In my original post it is"individual" accomplishment as you are the player character. Again, throwing in assertions that have no actual meaning to the original post.

4. No random surprises.

The game becomes nothing but random encounters, every two steps stops you and takes you to "the encounter screen" where you  spend long hours trying to defend yourself against a party of wolves with nothing but a stick and a rusty knife almost dying in the process twice. And again another assertion, who said it would be nothing but random encounters and that you would only be equipped with a stick or rusty knife?

The permadeath thing has been beaten to a pulp, no it's never coming back get over it already. Seriously there's more important things to worry about like developers lying to the public about their game design. This one really gets me. No where in my post did I mention anything about permadeath nor support for such. Again another assertion that has no basis.

6. System failure as per grouping.

not sure what you're talking about here so I'll just reitterate that requiring grouping to go count the number of bandits holding the princess hostage is not a very exciting method of questing. I never said anything like required grouping. In fact I somewhat discourage it. As it is not within our nature to do so.

7. Lack of  content.

What you call lack of content I might call plenty, gonna have to come up with a better thing then that to argue with. Who stated anything I said was a argument? Each there own as far as content goes. We all have differing views of what is too much or too less.

8.Cash shops

Again not a valid argument. Cash shops are fine so long as they don't interfere with normal gameplay. Let's look at what happened to GW2. Post launch they decided to force people to go to the cash shop for gold to do everything in the game, so they nerfed loot in the open world so that people could no longer earn valuables even while not grouping in the open world (open world events were supposed to be their focus) so in this case since there's only 1 type of valuable currency that one has to use for everything the shop is the only viable place to get the gold. That and having a shop be the place where you get the best gear are the only times cash shops stand in the way of gameplay. Otherwise your argument that ALL cash shops are bad is invalid. For a non valid argument you sure gave us a valid reason to oppose cash shops(Highlighted in yellow)

Probably more. But have alot to do today. Can continue later. So what ya think :-D

So what I'm seeing here is there's alot of bad ideas trying to come back just because someone wants to have some strut time on a game where he can flash his epeen. 

We don't need MORE elitism we need less. Elitism :-D. Definitely not elitist. Dont know too many of those who play Pirate101 or Wizard101. In fact I am most likely the opposite. I do have much experience with the mmorpg genre. Just as many others here as well.

You made many assertions in this post. None of which were even hinted at in my OP.  I recommend perhaps slowing down and reading what my post actually says rather than what"you" want it to say.

Note: If you wish to make my original post a argument feel free. I am quite capable of debating. "Argument" is one of the first things you learn about in Political Science :-D But at least if you are going to make a argument that pertains to the original post. Please keep the strawmen out!

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

They are bad only because you turned them 180 or exaggerated the intent.

And thats all...

Flame on!

:)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Banaghran

And thats all...

Flame on!

And they are only not bad because you say so?

How about this? The market has tried them, and discard them. Supply and demand.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Banaghran

And thats all...

Flame on!

And they are only not bad because you say so?

How about this? The market has tried them, and discard them. Supply and demand.

The only issue I see with this argument is what bad ideas? As itgrowls did not really show any other than assertions that had nothing to do with the original post.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

The permadeath thing has been beaten to a pulp, no it's never coming back get over it already.

EvE features permadeath in extreme cases, so does Wizardry Online. Just saying that it may be rare but not extinct.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Nice summation by the OP of why we are in the cack we find ourselves today.

I would add to the list no sense of adventure from wide open spaces or role-playing tools to help with the rpg in MMORPG.