Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is there only one class per race?

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

so ... wait: are the classes race bound? if so i don't mind but i hope there is some cross over available. for instance - why would there be no Scientist humans?

i say that because of this quote: "Like Sarge and Liara's interviews, Buck gives us an idea of where the Exile Humans in WildStar are from and why they're heading to Nexus, as well as giving us some insight into the mind of an Explorer to go with Sarge's Soldier and Liara's Scientist paths. Now all we need is a fourth race to be announced for all the Settlers out there."

now, im still open to see how things work out. frankly i miss the stat bonuses and racials that meant something in mmo's. eq2 apparently yanked those a while back to make everyone fall back on class stat + stamina. so depressing. and in a scifi universe there would certainly be 'classes' or species specific abilities and belief systems which would allow, or not allow, for certain paths or abilities.

i just would like to see some crossover, as i mentioned above. but, who knows, maybe this could be an interesting twist to a game. it just seems that if every human you meet is an explorer, then unless the body customization is crazy intense during character creation, there's gonna be a bunch of the same 4 characters running around. either that and/or add some intense 'class' customization, im talkin' 3.5 DnD style here, where you're class can be completely customized to your playstyle by using feats and skills to emphasize a specialization or even a jack of all trades.

also, i wouldn't mind finding out that one or more of the species were isogamic or somesuch. hey! its a scifi universe! we get entirely different SPECIES. we don't have to pretend that a Tauren and a Bloodelf can get it on any longer, because they are just different 'races' (an obvious misnomer for all of us i'm sure, but still one commonly misused by mmo companies.)

edited for answer located here in this forum: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/view/forums/thread/325362/predetermined-characters.html

however, i think i've raised enough other questions, such as:

1. character customization during creation, not costumes, or color of clothing, but actual body configuration. there's no reason a "3rd-gen" game can't give us complete customization of our characters physical forms, within storyline limits of course.

2. character customization via class customization. self explanatory i think.

3. meaningful difference in species' abilities/beliefs/etc guiding class choice and customization.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    The limited avatar types was my first concern with the game, they seem to be focusing on archetypes for each class, as we see in the animated trailer, for lore reasons, but I imagine they will be pressured to open up more character options as we get nearer release.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by zevni78
    The limited avatar types was my first concern with the game, they seem to be focusing on archetypes for each class, as we see in the animated trailer, for lore reasons, but I imagine they will be pressured to open up more character options as we get nearer release.

ya that's got red flags for me as well. i think if they would allow for variety in character creation and then allow those archetypes to fan out in different directions with skills it could still be quite interesting.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

A mechanic I think would be interesting to add to a game (probably won't be part of this one, but I thought I'd share) is to make classes change based on the race you choose.

For example: A Granok warrior would be your typical huge HP and strength tank. He takes the hits square-on and mitigates much of the damage with sheer strength and HP. 

A human warrior would be more like a monk. He uses agility and and parry skills to dodge and avoid most attacks. He'll still have a large HP pool, but not as much as the Granok. 

This is only marginally relevant to your post, but your post inspired the idea

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

A mechanic I think would be interesting to add to a game (probably won't be part of this one, but I thought I'd share) is to make classes change based on the race you choose.

For example: A Granok warrior would be your typical huge HP and strength tank. He takes the hits square-on and mitigates much of the damage with sheer strength and HP. 

A human warrior would be more like a monk. He uses agility and and parry skills to dodge and avoid most attacks. He'll still have a large HP pool, but not as much as the Granok. 

I like it, racials that are alternatives for the same role.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    This is not a huge concern for me, but considering how used to customizations as most MMO players are this could hurt this game , no one wants to be a clone of every other person playing that class.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by zevni78
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

I like it, racials that are alternatives for the same role.

The only issue is it often time provokes min/maxing which makes such a choice hard to really judge. While it can create diversity when done right, it still often will provide a 'better' option for the role. None the less having some slight variations could work out well and maybe adjusting the lore/animations to match with race without needing 'racials' to make it look/feel a bit different. 

Then again, if they make them each unique to each race then I don't mind it so much and it could be quite interesting to have as well, though it would still bring up the 'race lock' for individual classes for a lot of people.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    thread fail
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

This game is eons off release - it MAY be this year but I wouldn't count on it.

No one really knows what direction they're gonna take it but unless there's literally a dozen or more races, i'd never expect to see something like this make it to release.