Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice to those bored of GW2, try TERA!!!

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't get why a heart on a map is innovative and a ! over someones head is boring and old school. Or the fact that the actual number you need to kill is hiden from you and replaced with a heart that fills up.....

Is that really all it took to impress some of you people ?

Bingo!!!!

lol who ever said hearts were innovative? hearts are filler nothing more

And you know why they're filler?  Because not everyone could get used to a world filled with dynamic events, so ANet had to dumb down their own game to make sure they felt their hands were being held.  They shouldn't blame anyone but themselves.

They should have just called them Area Quests instead of the lofty "Dynamic Events".  Half the problem right there.

you still confusing hearts and DEs after all this time?

Nope.

Just think they could have been a little more straightforward with their terms.

lol just because some people on this site make up their own definition of terms means they weren't being straightforward as a DE follows the dictionary definition of dynamic? but anyways way off topic and this was already discussed to death already..

Oh for god's sake Aeeowynn, can you get off your "I must defend GW2 to the death" routine.

I simply stated that I felt half their problem was that the whole phrasing of "Dynamic Events" is confusing in itself.  Call it Dynamic Area Quests if you want..  I'm not trying to bring down your precious game.

lol yes oh my precious game boo hoo.. sorry my opinion differs than yours and you just can't stand to hear it.. you are in the GW2 forurms how dare i talk about the game in a positive manner.. sorry about that

It's not your opinion in which I am talking about.  It's your knee-jerk reaction to reply overly defensive to anything with the slightest hint of criticism on GW2.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't get why a heart on a map is innovative and a ! over someones head is boring and old school. Or the fact that the actual number you need to kill is hiden from you and replaced with a heart that fills up.....

Bingo!!!!

And you know why they're filler?  Because not everyone could get used to a world filled with dynamic events, so ANet had to dumb down their own game to make sure they felt their hands were being held.  They shouldn't blame anyone but themselves.

They should have just called them Area Quests instead of the lofty "Dynamic Events".  Half the problem right there.

That has nothing to do with the comparisons people make about heart quests when trying to defend their MMO's lackluster questing.  I'm not going to get into the definition of dynamic events since that's not the subject here.

Hey, I didn't derail the thread here.  Last time I looked it was about checking out Tera, not about Heart quests.  Just responding to the last point made.

It's worth the $20 to check out. 

Sometimes I wonder what you're talking about.  The thread became about how heart quests (GW2) are no better than ! quests (Tera).  I explained why heart quests existed.  You mentioned how dynamic events are "half the problem".  You're not responding to the point anyone made, but you think you are.

And sometimes I get the feeling you get overly defensive to anything I post.

I'll highlight the part in red my initial response was to.  I also highlighted my response in blue.

So essentially, you're saying that people wanted heart quests as a hand holding device because ANet didn't properly name dynamic events, and not because the typical quest format has become second nature due to other companies' use of it.

I'm not defensive, you're actually blaming the wrong people.

You are the one that suggested people weren't smart enough to get the whole idea of "Dynamic Quests".

Unless you followed the game and it's manifesto, the phrase Dynamic Event can be somewhat vague and lend itself to a number of different interpretations.

Now I questioned the intelligence of people who didn't like the change that DE's brought about?  You shouldn't put words into my mouth or insult my game. 

AEROWYN!  He's picking on GW2 again!!!!  :(

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Didn't they have a no block system or a system of block that was automatic in their combat in TERA? Why is there no button to mash for that one? wth? why leave it to RNG?

Umm no they didn't....not sure what you're even talking about. To block you have to block, there is no autoblock.

And dynamic to me isn't something that happens the same way every 15 minutes then resets. That would be called a scripted event in any other game...calling it dynamic seems to make it better though. I mean clearly dynamic! sounds better than scripted. Scripted just sounds boring.

People act like gw2 invented a whole new system of playing an mmo. They didn't, and that's why people get so disillusioned by all the fanboyisom that goes on around it. You go in expecting to see and do things you've never done before. But once you take a good look, it's all the same things you've seen before, just done a different way with a different focus.

It's not a bad game, and they did try and change things up. That's a good thing. But they didn't do what some fans seem to think. That's why people hate on it.....it's not the game, it's the pom poms so many try and shove in your face.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Bingo!!!!

you still confusing hearts and DEs after all this time?

Nope.

Just think they could have been a little more straightforward with their terms.

lol just because some people on this site make up their own definition of terms means they weren't being straightforward as a DE follows the dictionary definition of dynamic? but anyways way off topic and this was already discussed to death already..

Oh for god's sake Aeeowynn, can you get off your "I must defend GW2 to the death" routine.

I simply stated that I felt half their problem was that the whole phrasing of "Dynamic Events" is confusing in itself.  Call it Dynamic Area Quests if you want..  I'm not trying to bring down your precious game.

lol yes oh my precious game boo hoo.. sorry my opinion differs than yours and you just can't stand to hear it.. you are in the GW2 forurms how dare i talk about the game in a positive manner.. sorry about that

It's not your opinion in which I am talking about.  It's your knee-jerk reaction to reply overly defensive to anything with the slightest hint of criticism on GW2.

lol think some people are just way ot senstive in hearing things they don't agree with.. was just having a discussion no need to get all jumpy:) and i agree dynamic area quests would of been a good name as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Y'know... I have no big axe to grind against GW2 (bought and and enjoyed it), but the majority of posts in this thread are such no knowledge about TERA nonesense.

Still, this is the modern internet I guess... who needs to know shit all about anything to have a pro opinion?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    No harm in trying out an F2P game. But since exploring/venturing is what I enjoy most when playing openworld games, I can't appreciate TERA's old style quest system above GW2's. TERA may have a more action, twitchy combat that I actually like, but I wouldn't sum it up as "better" than GW2 because to begin with, GW2's combat isn't "terrible" nor "boring". The experience I get from exploring Tyria, with things actually happening around me is leaps and bounds ahead of what a static quest type game can offer.
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

No.  Just no.  I dont think anyone that enjoys GW2 raves about the tasks (hearts).  I've never heard anyone complain about it, but I've never heard anyone go crazy for them either. 

They're like quests basically.  Except you don't have to talk to the quest giver, you just run into the area and do it if you want.  That's what I typically do.  Does it impress me?  Kind off, only in the fact I dont have to read a boring wall of text unless I want to, and I can run into the area and get immediately to business. 

But again, the tasks have very little to do with why some people are fans of GW2.  If you tried GW2 and thought the big draw was hearts (tasks) and weren't impressed, quit, and thought that's what all the fuss was about, then you were mistaken.  " Is that all it takes to impress you people? ".  

Your assumptions are waaaay off there. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Didn't they have a no block system or a system of block that was automatic in their combat in TERA? Why is there no button to mash for that one? wth? why leave it to RNG?

Umm no they didn't....not sure what you're even talking about. To block you have to block, there is no autoblock.

And dynamic to me isn't something that happens the same way every 15 minutes then resets. That would be called a scripted event in any other game...calling it dynamic seems to make it better though. I mean clearly dynamic! sounds better than scripted. Scripted just sounds boring.

People act like gw2 invented a whole new system of playing an mmo. They didn't, and that's why people get so disillusioned by all the fanboyisom that goes on around it. You go in expecting to see and do things you've never done before. But once you take a good look, it's all the same things you've seen before, just done a different way with a different focus.

It's not a bad game, and they did try and change things up. That's a good thing. But they didn't do what some fans seem to think. That's why people hate on it.....it's not the game, it's the pom poms so many try and shove in your face.

Is there anything non scripted in a piece of software?

I also like the green - it is the same just differently and with a different focus.

Exactly what I wanted.

And if you don't think GW2 plays differently just go look at "Let's play GW2" on youtube with people that didn't research the game.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

not unless a dev or player is actually controlling the character anything else is scripted just some scripts have more variables than others

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Sorry OP but to me, a game with a dull quest system, login queues as F2P player, stupid raid content as well as a huge gear grind doesn't categorize as something "better" than GW2, even if the combat is better. Also the combat isn't more "pure action" than GW2, both have their strenghts and weaknesses. Just because you need to "aim" your skill doesn't make it more action.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Playing TERA for 4 months, and can't get enough. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Gotta love people in this thread who say that they prefer GW2 over TERA because GW2 has story. I mean, sure, TERA's story is weak, but we've all played GW2, and you're not gonna fool anyone. Might as well say that Waterworld was deep and moving.

And you gotta admit, posting this thread in the GW2 forums will just get it burnt down by the casual gamer inquisition.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

hearts aren't innovative... I think nobody should be impressed by that. They just filled the gaps with those renown hearts.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I wish GW2 had a camera lock option like Tera.  Both are pretty decent games.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Oh I almost forgot. the other way that GW2 DE's and hearts are so much more advanced then tera's is the choices on things to do to complete them. How many of TERA's quests require a single function like kill x rats only to find that the entire field where the rats are located are completely dead because 30 players are in the area doing the exact same thing. Meanwhile GW2 DE's and hearts give you objects to pickup and put away, items to collect, objects to destroy giving people lots more options to complete the same thing, ie you don't have twenty griefers in the way while you're trying to complete something.

GW2 has alot of problems right now with their dungeoneer focus and their lack of loot and broken economy, but they did do alot fo things right and the DE's hearts are one of those things. Credit where credit is due.

• obake90obake90 Member Posts: 60
    Dude, People need to stop saying the Quest system on Tera is boring.. It's the same quest base as rift,everquest,swtor,wow, ect... kill this many things, pick this up, the land is at war ect... trollz!
  • KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

not unless a dev or player is actually controlling the character anything else is scripted just some scripts have more variables than others

Actually you are both wrong, there is nothing that's not CODED in a game but there can be a lot not SCRIPTED.

For example there is something called procedural content that's not scripted nor controlled by a human and it can be dynamic.

What I was expecting from GW 2 when I first read about dynamic event was something on this line:

1 - A random monsters village is build on the map.

2 - The village is not attacked for X day -> the village grow.

a - The players attack the village -> the village is destroyed.

b - The village grows again and raids against the near city start.

b1 - the players defend the city -> go to point 2.

b2 - the city fall, the mobs are in control of the city and they start to spread to other cities, and so on.

Instead I found out something on the line of :

1 - every x hours spawn the same event 

2 - if players win -> go to scene A

3 - if players lose -> go to scene B

4 - after x hours reset everything and go back to point 1.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by obake90
    Dude, People need to stop saying the Quest system on Tera is boring.. It's the same quest base as rift,everquest,swtor,wow, ect... kill this many things, pick this up, the land is at war ect... trollz!

Well, the problem for me remains that I am bored with the questing in those other games, I'm not really trolling by saying Tera doesn't blow my skirt up.  I hate the fed ex quests worst of all.

Originally posted by Kehdar

Actually you are both wrong, there is nothing that's not CODED in a game but there can be a lot not SCRIPTED.

For example there is something called procedural content that's not scripted nor controlled by a human and it can be dynamic.

What I was expecting from GW 2 when I first read about dynamic event was something on this line:

1 - A random monsters village is build on the map.

2 - The village is not attacked for X day -> the village grow.

a - The players attack the village -> the village is destroyed.

b - The village grows again and raids against the near city start.

b1 - the players defend the city -> go to point 2.

b2 - the city fall, the mobs are in control of the city and they start to spread to other cities, and so on.

Instead I found out something on the line of :

1 - every x hours spawn the same event 

2 - if players win -> go to scene A

3 - if players lose -> go to scene B

4 - after x hours reset everything and go back to point 1.

your first example is still just a computer program/script just much more complex with more variables thats all its all based on if X happens you go to y and if y happens you could get x y or z and so on.. issue is more variables you program in the more things could go wrong with interactions with other programs going on at the same time which will make for a lot more bugs and issues overall...

your first example is still just a computer program/script just much more complex with more variables thats all.. issue is more variables you program in the more things could go wrong with interactions with other programs going on at the same time which will make for a lot more bugs and issues overall...

No, again it is coded not scripted, my example is a simple one, procedural programming is a lot more complex than that.

One thing that could do a big difference is taking into account the actions of the players more in a chaos theory way, you know a butterfly flap its wings in Tokio and etc...

A player fights back a centaur in an area, that centaur roams in another random area and starts a tribe and so on.

That's is coded, but the original coder doesn't know how it ends.

Of course is more complex and prone to bugs, but if we must follow your logic we should stick to Tetris so we don't  risk any bug.

Anyone expecting a full scale world model simulator in GW2 was clearly smoking pot or something stronger.

Will be a few years before having something like that in single player offline game and more in an online game.

Just because GW2 didn't go all the way it doesn't mean go some way is somehow bad.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

your first example is still just a computer program/script just much more complex with more variables thats all.. issue is more variables you program in the more things could go wrong with interactions with other programs going on at the same time which will make for a lot more bugs and issues overall...

No, again it is coded not scripted, my example is a simple one, procedural programming is a lot more complex than that.

One thing that could do a big difference is taking into account the actions of the players more in a chaos theory way, you know a butterfly flap its wings in Tokio and etc...

A player fights back a centaur in an area, that centaur roams in another random area and starts a tribe and so on.

Of course is more complex and prone to bugs, but if we must follow your logic we should stick to Tetris so we don't  risk any bug.

In fact GW2 has some of your example, just not the growing and not many variables.

Centaurs take the camp, then construct siege, than conquer town, then conquer next town.

GW2, like most games, doesn't track passage of time.

And yes, your example is coded - condition A satisfied -> result A.

not saying i wouldn't like what you are suggesting just don't see it feasable in a massive MMO thats all.. also in procedural programming it really is no differn't as it is still a program coded to allow for various thing to happen based on what happens.. but it still is limited in to what is programmed. It can't run off and create its own programs on its own growing dynamically like a true AI could if they ever created one(if this happens god help us:P). So in essence its still just a code following a program with many variables

Anyone expecting a full scale world model simulator in GW2 was clearly smoking pot or something stronger.

Will be a few years before having something like that in single player offline game and more in an online game.

Just because GW2 didn't go all the way it doesn't mean go some way is somehow bad.

1) My example is not a full scale world model.

2) I was expecting nothing from GW2 i was expecting something more when I first read about dynamic events but i understand soon where they were going with it.

3) If someone doesn't want people to expect too much shouldn't promise that much, if I tell you i'll bring you pancake and instead i serve you bread, the problem is not you (smoke or not) it's me lying.

1) My example is not a full scale world model.

2) I was expecting nothing from GW2 i was expecting something more when I first read about dynamic events but i understand soon where they were going with it.

3) If someone doesn't want people to expect too much shouldn't promise that much, if I tell you i'll bring you pancake and instead i serve you bread, the problem is not you (smoke or not) it's me lying.

You read the PR and stopped at that.

Anyone listening to something like this, http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013691/Designing_Guild_Wars_2_Dynamic_Events , would know what Anet meant.

So in essence its still just a code following a program with many variables

Sorry, no again. 

I'll write an example with art assets instead of coding, mayve it's more clear.

Let's say i have to populate a forest with trees.

I can model 10 trees and if need a forest of 1000 tree i can do something like:

while ( total trees < 1000)

add trees(x)  where X is a random number from 1 to 10 

Or I can have a function that for every tree generate a random model (there are already lot of middleware able to do it) 

every tree will be different, and (at the moment of coding)  i have no idea of how the forest will look like in the end, that's procedural content.

Hope you can see the differences.

This discussion has been closed.