Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice to those bored of GW2, try TERA!!!

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    TERA has better combat, GFX and vertical progression. Everything else GW 2 does better.
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't get why a heart on a map is innovative and a ! over someones head is boring and old school. Or the fact that the actual number you need to kill is hiden from you and replaced with a heart that fills up.....

Is that really all it took to impress some of you people ?

Bingo!!!!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by QSatu
    I tried TERA recently. I have to say after 6 months of GW2, TERA felt stiff and unresponsive. When i jumped from a small cliff and lost complete control of my character so the game could play a falling animation I logged off.

And why should you have any control over your character when you jump from a cliff?

that does seem like an odd reason to quit lol but i can see the stiff and unresposiveness compared to GW2 to me gw2 combat skills flow much better when going from one skill to the next and movement felt better to me.. just personal preference i guess.. oh also i prefer being able to cast on the run as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I tried TERA recently. I have to say after 6 months of GW2, TERA felt stiff and unresponsive. When i jumped from a small cliff and lost complete control of my character so the game could play a falling animation I logged off.

And why should you have any control over your character when you jump from a cliff?

B/c it feels natural. Feeling of always being in control of your character and not simply turning on select animations was always one of the highest advantages WoW had over almost every mmo. ANet learned that.

And it wasn't the only reason i left but it put me off.

Originally posted by Leucent

I don't get why a heart on a map is innovative and a ! over someones head is boring and old school. Or the fact that the actual number you need to kill is hiden from you and replaced with a heart that fills up.....

Bingo!!!!

lol who ever said hearts were innovative? hearts are filler nothing more

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

that does seem like an odd reason to quit lol but i can see the stiff and unresposiveness compared to GW2 to me gw2 combat skills flow much better when going from one skill to the next and movement felt better to me.. just personal preference i guess.. oh also i prefer being able to cast on the run as well

This is precisely why I never even considered going back to WoW after playing GW2.. even after playing the beta and having nothing to play between beta weekends.  Like you said, it's personal preference, but the smoothness of the combat makes everything else feel like I'm practically playing turn-based RPG's. lol

Bingo!!!!

And you know why they're filler?  Because not everyone could get used to a world filled with dynamic events, so ANet had to dumb down their own game to make sure they felt their hands were being held.  They shouldn't blame anyone but themselves.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Tried TERA again now that it went F2P. Still can't bear the utterly boring quests and the extremely Asian art style.

yea most quit around 40...the content is terrible & insanely boring, the graphics and free aim combat barely make up for it

to have any chance of enjoying this game gotta be in a really fun guild

hallo ~_~

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I actually followed the advise of this thread about a month ago.  I tried Tera since it was F2P as I was bored looking for a game.  I really wanted to like Tera and gave it a few weeks as I leveled up.  This game wan't for me, IMO the game seemed like a downgrade from GW2.  I could see the reasons why people would ejoy playing it, it just wasn't for me.  If you like this game, enjoy it and happy gaming. 
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Bingo!!!!

And you know why they're filler?  Because not everyone could get used to a world filled with dynamic events, so ANet had to dumb down their own game to make sure they felt their hands were being held.  They shouldn't blame anyone but themselves.

They should have just called them Area Quests instead of the lofty "Dynamic Events".  Half the problem right there.

Originally posted by grimal

Bingo!!!!

They should have just called them Area Quests instead of the lofty "Dynamic Events".  Half the problem right there.

That has nothing to do with the comparisons people make about heart quests when trying to defend their MMO's lackluster questing.  I'm not going to get into the definition of dynamic events since that's not the subject here.

• HjorulvHjorulv Member UncommonPosts: 17

Hmm, jump from one ArenaNet founder game (Mike O'Brien, GW2) to another ArenaNet founder game (Patrick Wyatt, En Masse Entertainment).  No thanks. 

2 out of 3 of the ArenaNet founders abandoned GW2 when they sold the company to NCSoft, and both have left NCSoft since then. It's really no surprise GW2 is parting ways from it's initial design manifesto when 2 of the main programmers from GW are gone.

Bingo!!!!

you still confusing hearts and DEs after all this time?

Bingo!!!!

That has nothing to do with the comparisons people make about heart quests when trying to defend their MMO's lackluster questing.  I'm not going to get into the definition of dynamic events since that's not the subject here.

Hey, I didn't derail the thread here.  Last time I looked it was about checking out Tera, not about Heart quests.  Just responding to the last point made.

It's worth the $20 to check out. 

Bingo!!!!

Nope.

Just think they could have been a little more straightforward with their terms.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

well one thing that most games don't do is tell you where they want you to go. GW2 did that the best way I've ever seen, by highlighting on the minimap where you need to head especially with mobile enemies.

Second, one didn't have to run pickup a ton of quests finish them all and then run back to find the npc's to turn them back in, how old is that system now? 17 years old? really? What got me in games like SWTOR here's a game that's supposed to have remote communications and I STILL had to go find the npc to turn in the quest? smh.....one could argue that magic would allow people to do that in a fantasy setting as well, remotely turnin missions/quests without running around all day.

Didn't they have a no block system or a system of block that was automatic in their combat in TERA? Why is there no button to mash for that one? wth? why leave it to RNG?

and finally why have levels at all? why can't we have a themepark style game where part of our work is leveling skills and the trait system adjusts them to fit specific focuses that we'd like to have in combat/ interaction.

I'm sorry to say they are far far behind the times. Even neverwinter will have remote quest turnin.

Bingo!!!!

Hey, I didn't derail the thread here.  Last time I looked it was about checking out Tera, not about Heart quests.  Just responding to the last point made.

Sometimes I wonder what you're talking about.  The thread became about how heart quests (GW2) are no better than ! quests (Tera).  I explained why heart quests existed.  You mentioned how dynamic events are "half the problem".  You're not responding to the point anyone made, but you think you are.

Bingo!!!!

Nope.

lol just because some people on this site make up their own definition of terms means they weren't being straightforward? a DE follows the dictionary definition of dynamic but anyways way off topic and this was already discussed to death already..

Bingo!!!!

Sometimes I wonder what you're talking about.  The thread became about how heart quests (GW2) are no better than ! quests (Tera).  I explained why heart quests existed.  You mentioned how dynamic events are "half the problem".  You're not responding to the point anyone made, but you think you are.

And sometimes I get the feeling you get overly defensive to anything I post.

I'll highlight the part in red my initial response was to.  I also highlighted my response in blue.

Bingo!!!!

Nope.

lol just because some people on this site make up their own definition of terms means they weren't being straightforward as a DE follows the dictionary definition of dynamic? but anyways way off topic and this was already discussed to death already..

Oh for god's sake Aerowyn, can you get off your "I must defend GW2 to the death" routine.

I simply stated that I felt half the problem was that the whole phrasing of "Dynamic Events" is confusing in itself.  Call it Dynamic Area Quests if you want..  I'm not trying to bring down your precious game.

Bingo!!!!

Nope.

lol just because some people on this site make up their own definition of terms means they weren't being straightforward as a DE follows the dictionary definition of dynamic? but anyways way off topic and this was already discussed to death already..

Oh for god's sake Aeeowynn, can you get off your "I must defend GW2 to the death" routine.

I simply stated that I felt half their problem was that the whole phrasing of "Dynamic Events" is confusing in itself.  Call it Dynamic Area Quests if you want..  I'm not trying to bring down your precious game.

lol yes oh my precious game boo hoo.. sorry my opinion differs than yours and you just can't stand to hear it.. you are in the GW2 forurms how dare i talk about the game in a positive manner.. sorry about that

Bingo!!!!

I'll highlight the part in red my initial response was to.  I also highlighted my response in blue.

So essentially, you're saying that people wanted heart quests as a hand holding device because ANet didn't properly name dynamic events, and not because the typical quest format has become second nature due to other companies' use of it.

I'm not defensive, you're actually blaming the wrong people.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I wouldn't recommend tera to anyone that enjoys fantasy MMO's. This game is more like Diablo with a different view, hardly an MMO at all tbh.
  • aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

I'm bored of GuildWars 2 because its just overcasualized. Since I'm more from the DAoC crowd I need something more challanging.

I tried TERA either, but I'm absolutely no lover of asian-style graphics.

Bingo!!!!

So essentially, you're saying that people wanted heart quests as a hand holding device because ANet didn't properly name dynamic events, and not because the typical quest format has become second nature due to other companies' use of it.

I'm not defensive, you're actually blaming the wrong people.

You are the one that suggested people weren't smart enough to get the whole idea of "Dynamic Quests".

Unless you followed the game and it's manifesto, the phrase Dynamic Event can be somewhat vague and lend itself to a number of different interpretations.

This discussion has been closed.