Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO should/can be a good single player game?

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

There were threads discussing what single player games should be made into MMOs. I figure i will try something new and have the question reversed.

Here is my list:

TOR - this is begging to be a single player game. I think it is a mistake not to just do an online KOTOR with better combat.

STO - some of the story missions can probably done very well as a SP game. Ground combat can be improved but space ship combat is FUN.

DDO - lots of the dungeon missions are similar enough to SP quest chains.

TSW - i have not played this game ... does the story mission work well in a SP or co-op mode?

Comments

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

TERA, while not a top notch successful MMO, has a really fun combat system.

Take that combat system, the BAM fights, add a story with cinematics and you got a real good SP game potentially.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I think with some tweaking, GW2 would actually make for an interesting single player/co-op game. Each area is already somewhat set up for solo play with the heart npcs, and the way the dynamic events work would work well. Things they could tweak would be stuff like; make the environmental changes that happen during events permanent until player interaction changes it, add more storyline content that can take place in the world since it's single player. They would of course have to tweak things like champion mobs to scale for solo-various sizes of co-op play. Adding storyline content that is a branching, but somewhat linear progression that ends with the boss of the area spawning.

Of course that would make the SP version of GW2 more like GW1 in many regards.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Dont care.  I really never play single player games.  I have a shelf full of half finished games because every tiem I start one up I feel lonely with it not being an MMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by SuperNick

TERA, while not a top notch successful MMO, has a really fun combat system.

Take that combat system, the BAM fights, add a story with cinematics and you got a real good SP game potentially.

Isn't Tera going F2P soon? May be i should check it out. Is the combat really fun?

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    TSW definitelly
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Dont care.  I really never play single player games.  I have a shelf full of half finished games because every tiem I start one up I feel lonely with it not being an MMO.

Why do you even buy them? Isn't that kind of silly buying games you do not like? If you have a full shelf .. you can't claim you didn't know that you don't like SP games.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    SWTOR, TERA, GW2, TSW, DDO, AoC (for PvE) the list goes on

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw actually manages to have an rpg bit as good as single player rpgs, so i would say that.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    TSW.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Tsw actually manages to have an rpg bit as good as single player rpgs, so i would say that.

this sounds like TSW is actually a game i need to play. Too bad it is not F2P so i can just sample it.

Would you say, if i play it as a SP game, it would be a decent one for what they charge?

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

this sounds like TSW is actually a game i need to play. Too bad it is not F2P so i can just sample it.

Would you say, if i play it as a SP game, it would be a decent one for what they charge?

Definitely.  You get a lot of content for $30, plus there's the group stuff too (dungeons, the raid, lairs, cabals) if you decide to go back into MMO mode.  Investigations and sabotage missions alone are worth the price.

Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Definitely.  You get a lot of content for $30, plus there's the group stuff too (dungeons, the raid, lairs, cabals) if you decide to go back into MMO mode.  Investigations and sabotage missions alone are worth the price.

$30 definitely is a reasonable price. I am also very interested in the unique setting. There is no other modern, conspiracy theory centric, with some lovecraft stuff type game out there.

• mikethkmikethk Member Posts: 105

PS2 i F2P and its pretty fun, also singleplayer...

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by azzamasin

That.  And I got some really good ones I get so mad at myself for not returning to.  

The only exception being Sims 2.  There was way to much to do in that game to ever get bored if you get into the shaping and remodeling of custom content.  Game play itself could get stagnant but knowing I could recreate the Forgotten Realms myself was nice.  And going online to see what others had created in the way of drow, elves, dragons, caves and what-nots was sort of community.

But yeah, visa-versa this thread to make it interesting.

Originally posted by mikethk

PS2 i F2P and its pretty fun, also singleplayer...

uh? You are talking about planetside 2, right? How is that SP? Isn't that large battle online PvP? I do like that game but it does not fit in this thread.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    TSW and LoTRO were both pretty much made as single player games....I wouldn't say either one was good but they appeal to some....To me having a storyline with my character just standing as a deaf mute is pretty ridiculous....i'd rather play an Asian grinder than watch cut scenes and listen to voice acting.
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    TSW and LoTRO were both pretty much made as single player games....I wouldn't say either one was good but they appeal to some....To me having a storyline with my character just standing as a deaf mute is pretty ridiculous....i'd rather play an Asian grinder than watch cut scenes and listen to voice acting.

Really? You don't play single playing games? Cutscenes are pretty much standard now.

And there are some GOOD stories. Deus Ex. Dishonored. Even Dead Space 3. I wouldn't want the storyline to be cut out of these games.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I disagree that TSW would work well as a singleplayer RPG, Combat would need a overhall, Removal of all quests that give Signets since without Purple gear you cant solo them. Removal of the multiplayer content being Lairs and Dungeons or make them easy enough to do so that one player could do them (AKA take away their broadsword and give them a nerf bat) Simply put to make it a good SPRPG you would basically drop a Nerf bomb on the entire project. Sorry i like my difficulty where it is.

Also given that you dont hit your true strength in the game until you organize a 5man group. TSW isnt like WoW where what somone brings with them is completely meaningless. Synergy has 2 levers, Player Synergy and Group Synergy. By cutting out the group synergy your simply making the game boring and simple.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Actually i prefer my character not talking in the cutscenes. It means the game isnt putting words in my mouth. When i make a character i make a CHARACTER. not a avatar, When i go RP i have a character. Now i know people arent big RPers however ive been playing DnD, WoD, Shadowrun, So on Soforth. SO im happy with how they decided to do that.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Rayshe

I disagree that TSW would work well as a singleplayer RPG, Combat would need a overhall, Removal of all quests that give Signets since without Purple gear you cant solo them. Removal of the multiplayer content being Lairs and Dungeons or make them easy enough to do so that one player could do them (AKA take away their broadsword and give them a nerf bat) Simply put to make it a good SPRPG you would basically drop a Nerf bomb on the entire project. Sorry i like my difficulty where it is.

Also given that you dont hit your true strength in the game until you organize a 5man group. TSW isnt like WoW where what somone brings with them is completely meaningless. Synergy has 2 levers, Player Synergy and Group Synergy. By cutting out the group synergy your simply making the game boring and simple.

+1 to Rayshe for making the point.  People tend to focus on on the single player aspects of TSW with the investigations and the main storyline, just because there are a few solo instances here and there.  The game is 95% groupable, and some of the most fun aspects of the game are the dungeons and lairs.  Not only balancing your individual build but fnding a group that works well together is important -- it really forces players to talk and strategize before plunging in.  There's a group finder, but it really pays to chat beforehand.  Not to mention it actually fosters community -- I've talked with more people in this game than in 4 years of playing WoW, and it's amazing how friendly people can be.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Dont see how SWTOR wont be on the top of everyones list that has played it...even if you like the game, everything outside the flashpoints is right out of a single player game with online multi-player capabilities.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah I prefer the mute player character approach of skyrim, half life 2, tsw etc..

Real disconcerting when I start talking I'm using some squeaky American youth voice when my real voice sounds like Sean bean or something.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Barren Realms Elite.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Rayshe

uhh no shit rayshe, thats common sense

obviously if someone was talking about making WoW into a single player rpg, to fight onyxia, do you think it not common sense that you'd have to make it so only a single player would be able to beat her?(talking vanilla wow times) you act like that'd be a hard thing to do. doesn't diminish the epicness of boss fights. look at god of war. kratos fights fucking GODS and he's just a human(now a god) just one person.

also, lets say you want to keep the group dynamics, there's this thing called party members, think FFX, or to go a step beyond that, co-op mode. yes, its still a single player game with co-op mode.

jeez the stuff that people type these days...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Yeah I prefer the mute player character approach of skyrim, half life 2, tsw etc..

Real disconcerting when I start talking I'm using some squeaky American youth voice when my real voice sounds like Sean bean or something.

i have no problem with it. Have you play Deus Ex Human Revolution.. it is a great RPG, and yet you are playing an avatar, not your character.