Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"What if Disney gave YOU the decision to choose the developer of the next Star Wars MMORP...who woul

1234568»

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    No, I'm well aware of the baiting going on by both of you.  My Blizzard response, however, is not a joke.
  • genclaymoregenclaymore Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Any one Dev as long they make a actual space combat and not the house of the dead rail space shooter that we have in SWOTR. 
  • KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94

I'd say Disney should assemble their own MMO division instead of picking a studio out there headed up by Raph Koster.

Blizzard - if Disney said tomorrow they are awarding Blizzard the rights to create a SW MMO, it would take Blizzard 15 years to make it.  Slowest develepment process in the industry and now one of the most dumbed down design decision makers.

SOE - Too buggy and indecisive.

Funcom - enough said, no way

Bioware - lol, no way.  It would just be a movie with the amount of cut scenes and they were actually proud of that turd of SWToR, so that means they don't know what a good game is like.

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    [mod edit]
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't think they should use any current dev company. They'll all want to do it their way and we end up with the blame game like we did in SWG.

Disney has enough money to hand pick a dev group and do it in house the proper way.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Rockstar...

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Rider071

I would give it back to SOE with the stipulation that it must be SWG v1.0, the game's release version.

Further a binding agreement with strict parameters:

-they could patch bugs, and create content

-they are not to adjust nor balance the game professions in any way further. no matter what.

-Leave the Jedi system in it's original form, no adjustements.

just my 2cp

I believe leaving this system in place would have made for a better release of the launch of space travel, as well as everything else going forward.

why would they do that?  they already tried,,and failed

[mod edit]

most star wars fans are NOT hardcore players,,box sales for swtor prove that

thats what they realized, and SWG had  the CU,,but by then it was too late

first,,wow was in its prime,,and SWG was ageing at that point

and most hardcore fans left, when EVERYBODY could become a jedi

if they had made the CU in the first year,,maybe they could have turned it around

Um sorry but no, the CU destroyed SWG. Would not have saved it. SWG before the CU/NGE had 300k + subs, which for that time was damn good.  When the CU/NGE hit due to greed from LA, the population dropped by half.

SWG was the least hardcore game out there. Offering much freedom and choice.

SWG wasnt a failure, any game lasting 8+ years is a success in my book. It made profits, and even until the end it got some great updates and features added. Unlike the newer games that strip the features away and dumb games down.

If SWG was fixed up, balance in game was successful, new graphics, with the amount of money that SWTOR had............. yeah it would do damn well in todays market.

yes 300k is a respectable number,,but it hardly pays the IP

today?? lets see,,,spawn camping,,gotta love that

player bounties? away goes the casual crowd

aaand that would put us at the number SWG had

and sadly a little more than swtor has now

still VERY far from THE BIG CASH COW the suits see in this IP

the way i see it,,2 mio boxes means 2 mio SW mmo players

but they could make 3 different SW mmos,,giving each group what they want

over 600k players might not be record breaking, but it gives a solid foundation to grow on

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Distopia
    A new studio headed by Raph Koster.

hmmm that would be cool. *Sigh* just too good to be true

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I would give it back to SOE with the stipulation that it must be SWG v1.0, the game's release version.

-they are not to adjust nor balance the game professions in any way further. no matter what.

just my 2cp

I believe leaving this system in place would have made for a better release of the launch of space travel, as well as everything else going forward.

[mod edit]

if they had made the CU in the first year,,maybe they could have turned it around

Um sorry but no, the CU destroyed SWG. Would not have saved it. SWG before the CU/NGE had 300k + subs, which for that time was damn good.  When the CU/NGE hit due to greed from LA, the population dropped by half.

SWG wasnt a failure, any game lasting 8+ years is a success in my book. It made profits, and even until the end it got some great updates and features added. Unlike the newer games that strip the features away and dumb games down.

If SWG was fixed up, balance in game was successful, new graphics, with the amount of money that SWTOR had............. yeah it would do damn well in todays market.

over 600k players might not be record breaking, but it gives a solid foundation to grow on

Spawn camping in which game? SWG had no spawn camping at all. Once you died your combat status was reset back and you manualy had to change it to pvp again. You did have a 5-10 min tef, but that was so easy to avoid and do believe they got rid of that later on.

Bounty hunting sysytem was actualy pretty cool and enjoy it in games. It allows people to place bounties on griefers and bad people of the game. Hunt them down and take them out. I dont see an issue with this. And if you are casual i dont see you pvp'ing too much thus shouldnt have to worry about bounties.

If they would mix SWG openess, crafting, player housing, pvp system, and space combat/flight to SWTOR's story, animation, voice acting, and good series of quest........then take away all limitations, restrictions, and get to feeling like a real Star Wars universe it would be a great game.

There is no reason why themepark and sandbox games can not be mixed as long as the features and options are there to have freedom and choice. But so many misconceptions about sandboxes get people worried, even those that never played a sandbox before.

SWTOR was a step backwards to me, and story doesnt keep a game afloat. Need more than flashy animations and npc's that can speak :) Without choice and freedom you are no better off than playing a concole rpg.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443
    Blizzard for one reason they have the budget to make it!
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274

I still think it would be best for Disney to keep it in-house using the best people they have in Disney, LA and Pixlar game studios, and hireing the best people from outside to help fill in needed spots.

As for game play I would like to see something like the Pre CU/NEG Swg with some changes.  Player housing I think should start out being in cities.  If they allow building houses anywhere on plants then animals and mobs should start moving away from those places so you do not have the problem of mobs inside someone's home and no way to reach it so you can finish your quest and to prevent the use of houses to block routes to get to rare quest mobs.

The game should start out being made for the PC and other gaming systems told that they can port the game to their systems only if they system supports the use of a keyboard and mose to play to help keep all gaming systems on an even keel as to how the game is played.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

CCP - For the space game.

Blizzard  - For the world building.

SOE - For the sandbox elements.

Bioware - For the lore.

Trion - For the game update schedule.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Rosie O'Donnell still homeless?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Rosie O'Donnell still homeless?

Not for long. I hear she's going to be cast as a Hutt in the next Star Wars movie ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

just my 2cp

[mod edit]

Spawn camping in which game? SWG had no spawn camping at all. Once you died your combat status was reset back and you manualy had to change it to pvp again. You did have a 5-10 min tef, but that was so easy to avoid and do believe they got rid of that later on.

Bounty hunting sysytem was actualy pretty cool and enjoy it in games. It allows people to place bounties on griefers and bad people of the game. Hunt them down and take them out. I dont see an issue with this. And if you are casual i dont see you pvp'ing too much thus shouldnt have to worry about bounties.

If they would mix SWG openess, crafting, player housing, pvp system, and space combat/flight to SWTOR's story, animation, voice acting, and good series of quest........then take away all limitations, restrictions, and get to feeling like a real Star Wars universe it would be a great game.

There is no reason why themepark and sandbox games can not be mixed as long as the features and options are there to have freedom and choice. But so many misconceptions about sandboxes get people worried, even those that never played a sandbox before.

SWTOR was a step backwards to me, and story doesnt keep a game afloat. Need more than flashy animations and npc's that can speak :) Without choice and freedom you are no better off than playing a concole rpg.

spawn camping was in in PVE

and with todays playerbase,,you want to give players the possibility to gank others

look at the number of griefers in ANY game , and tell me how that will work

dude,,ive seen sandbox in action,,UO, AO, EVE

and sandbox will give another niche game..there is NO WAY you can get mio of casuals to play a sandbox game

but i agree on the lack of freedom in swtor,,they should have skipped the mmo stuff , and made it an ordinary

RPG,,that would have been much better

PS yes i know of minecraft, but i wouldnt call it mmo

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I would say SOE of 2012-13.  Previous era SOE failed horribly but that was when they were having an identity crisis and thought they were on Blizzard's level.

I wouldn't give it to CCP, Eve is good for people who like it but for those who don't it offers nothing.  And we have yet to see another mmo from them that backs it up.

Trion is great at churning out game updates but Rift is a wow clone and Defiance is a hot mess.  I'm alpha testing it and beta testing it and two words HOT MESS.

Bioware even if they had a trillion dollars and no suits pulling their strings they would still deliver a sub par mmo.  They just don't have a clue, unless you want more single player story in your MMO.

Sigil would blow it because Brad Mcquaid had no clue in hell how to manage a company.

Honestly, I don't think any dev team would really do the Star Wars IP justice in the mmo space.  Star Wars is a pretty vast with its lore and expanded universe lore.  It sounds amazing on paper but never works right when made into a mmo.  There's always to many people making the game the way they "think" will work best instead of just making a mmo that is a living evolving Star Wars universe.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Give it to Centauri, "The Last Starfighter" worked out well.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Jason Applewood that Greed Monger guy....lol

• vpr555vpr555 Member UncommonPosts: 5
  • LazerChickenLazerChicken Member Posts: 29
    CD Project RED !

I have my fears so they don't have me.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

If Turbine could create the world for the game, that would be a good thing. I recently went back into LotRO and I had forgotten just how big the world areas are and how detailed they are, not forgetting how amazing they look and this is a 6 year old MMO.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

LA said all future game development would be done in house. This was of course just prior to Papa Disney taking over so that might have gone out the window.

Disney have stated that they are focussing on the mobile market as developers, but other companies can create AAA PC and console SW games for them.

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

I would say Bethesda, CD Projekt Red, CCP they respect customers and their skill in producing Sandbox games is legendary ;)

Bioware for the story... but that is not that important in MMOrpg games... especially not the way They do it... it gets annoying super fast.

Blizzard maybe even.