Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Private Shrouded Isles DAoC Server

For those of you who cannot wait for CU to launch (which will be years from now), there is a remedy...

A project called Uthgard (google it).

Some german guys have spent the last 8 years maintaining a server that is almost purely SI. 

It's really good!

The only real problem is that the RAs are ToA. But the rest is SI, even the frontier zones are classic!

It's free, so if you feel nostalgic about playing DAoC from back in 2004, you should go try it out!

Comments

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I second Uthgard. It's extremely fun until you reach 4L2. Then it's not as fun but you can always reroll.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    is it legal?
  • gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    I second Uthgard. It's extremely fun until you reach 4L2. Then it's not as fun but you can always reroll.

I've actually been playing Uthgard for the past week or so; and it is pretty cool.  As close as you can get to old school DAoC.  What is it about getting past RR 4L2 that makes it less fun?

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Arcona
    is it legal?

Yes.  Copyrights cover the software produced by Mythic.  Emulated servers don't have access to the server software, so they write their own.

Basically, as long as emulated servers don't try to distribute the game client, it is legal.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Interesting, may have to give it a go, thanks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by gregoryvg

I've actually been playing Uthgard for the past week or so; and it is pretty cool.  As close as you can get to old school DAoC.  What is it about getting past RR 4L2 that makes it less fun?

At 4l2 you have to leave thidranki and either face the RR10+ groups in emain (impossible at rr4) or grind guard tasks until your RR is high enough to face them (could take months). The server would be a lot more fun if people just zerged at low RRs but I guess everyone is a pro 8v8er nowadays (even the RR4s).

• gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35

At 4l2 you have to leave thidranki and either face the RR10+ groups in emain (impossible at rr4) or grind guard tasks until your RR is high enough to face them (could take months). The server would be a lot more fun if people just zerged at low RRs but I guess everyone is a pro 8v8er nowadays (even the RR4s).

Thanks for the heads up.  That is dissapointing to hear.  Was hoping/thinking it would be more lilke a regular server with larger groups and 8-man.

Thanks for the heads up.  That is dissapointing to hear.  Was hoping/thinking it would be more lilke a regular server with larger groups and 8-man.

You should try it for the PvE and Thidranki(insanely fun when it is well populated) alone. I played in 2010 and 2011 so things might have changed in emain. 

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I've tried playing DAOC again, but I just can't. After playing modern MMO's, the character control is horrendous in DAOC. Feels like I'm stuck in mud.