Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Areas

HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
Are they open to explore for this beta? If so, how would you describe them?

Comments

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Bump

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Havent played beta, but i can definatelly recal that devs said somewhere that they will include open areas for exploring/leveling...

I will post link when i find it, give me couple of minutes :)

EDIT: I rephrased your question now... and i imagine that it would suck not to include open areas in beta testing. On the other hand, who knows... they were all about "dungeons, dungeons, dungeons" these last couple of days :|

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105

There are open areas.   They are essentially big shared zones like Age of Conan had.  At level 20 you can get a pony so crossing them isn't so slow.  Forest, swamp,volcano etc.  The maps do not stitch together into one big map;  the only relationship they really have to each other is pins on the worldmap.  Foundry developers can create their own areas and put a pin on the map for them, and each pin can represent one map or several.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Osmanthus

There are open areas.   They are essentially big shared zones like Age of Conan had.  At level 20 you can get a pony so crossing them isn't so slow.  Forest, swamp,volcano etc.  The maps do not stitch together into one big map;  the only relationship they really have to each other is pins on the worldmap.  Foundry developers can create their own areas and put a pin on the map for them, and each pin can represent one map or several.

Thanks, can the be open and not corridor like? A lot of the streams I've been watching, remind me a bit of Dragon Age and their world of cooridors. Not saying it's a deal breaker, but it would be nice...

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105

There are wide open zones!  One I just did was like mountainus forest and it was rough terrain, but I could essentially go anyplace. One of the foundry quests is I saw is a wide open plain, flat as a pancake and free as can be.

There are also corridor zones too, ones where you are funnelled into choke points and the like.  So, a mix!

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105

It doesn't feel really "open", yes, more like Dragon Age! Although there are larger maps...it's no Red Dead Redemption.

Anyway, this game is like Vindictus and C9, it's not a sandbox MMO. All you want is dungeons and more dungeons to explore because honestly, those "open" areas where you have to kill 10 orcs and collect 4 boxes aren't that fun...

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

Most of the feeds start with low level areas. The city - PE part is peaceful with people instead of monsters roaming around. Other places unlike the city - like jungles, marshes are full of open world mobs.

There are also very large worlds with connected open world mobs, but they will come much later.

The "corridor" feeling is because most of the early quests are dungeon delves as PE has no theme for open area quests being peaceful part of city.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

Thanks, can the be open and not corridor like? A lot of the streams I've been watching, remind me a bit of Dragon Age and their world of cooridors. Not saying it's a deal breaker, but it would be nice...

Corridor like, so far have yet to see any openness whatsoever and to say it's an open world is misleading.  Public areas is a more proper term.  It reminded me of SWTOR's corridor feel and even they they were more open that Neverwinter.

Mayhaps this improves later on but so far the "open areas" are incredibely closed in.

There are wide open zones!  One I just did was like mountainus forest and it was rough terrain, but I could essentially go anyplace. One of the foundry quests is I saw is a wide open plain, flat as a pancake and free as can be.

There are also corridor zones too, ones where you are funnelled into choke points and the like.  So, a mix!

Good to hear, thanks.

Originally posted by Elfahiar

It doesn't feel really "open", yes, more like Dragon Age! Although there are larger maps...it's no Red Dead Redemption.

Anyway, this game is like Vindictus and C9, it's not a sandbox MMO. All you want is dungeons and more dungeons to explore because honestly, those "open" areas where you have to kill 10 orcs and collect 4 boxes aren't that fun...

Glad you mentioned Vind and C9, I use them a lot in comparisons and to most gamers (even those that say they've played every mmo since Meridian) never reference them, have no clue and use the big names and they aren't the best fits when comparing. I agree that NWO is in that realm, which also includes Dragons Nest. I do find those games even better at action combat then NWO from watching streams. 3rd Person ARPG's.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    This is what I do not understand. This game is set in the Forgotten Realms right?......Why is there not a huge world to explore? With all the maps and resources this world has almost 30 years of D&D products and novels.You'd think they'd have no problem making a vast wonderful world. Why dont developers realize that most people want large roamable worlds. Everyone I know who plays MMOs and singleplayer games  tell me the same.Why is it that only a few developers seem to be able to give this to its playerbase? Instead we're likely to get another piecemealed patchwork of small explorable areas and shitty instances just because its easier ( and maybe cheaper) to produce a game like its a jigsaw puzzle on some assembly line .
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    This is what I do not understand. This game is set in the Forgotten Realms right?......Why is there not a huge world to explore? With all the maps and resources this world has almost 30 years of D&D products and novels.You'd think they'd have no problem making a vast wonderful world. Why dont developers realize that most people want large roamable worlds. Everyone I know who plays MMOs and singleplayer games  tell me the same.Why is it that only a few developers seem to be able to give this to its playerbase? Instead we're likely to get another piecemealed patchwork of small explorable areas and shitty instances just because its easier ( and maybe cheaper) to produce a game like its a jigsaw puzzle on some assembly line .

It is because of cost, SoulStain.  It takes a long time to make large MMO worlds, and this costs a lot of money.

I would love if a MMO launched today with the size of the orginal EQ, and the quality of these games, but the cost would just be prohibitive.  You've got to have some sort of trade off.

Hopefully this game will do well enough so that they can add The Ten Towns, Luskan, Waterdeep, etc etc, as well as some more outdoor playable areas in the future, but two things have to happen for that.  The first is that they need to break even on the development and support of this one, and secondly they need to have a good idea that additional content will lead to more additional revenues.

The level of quality of this game's graphics is really astounding.  But it is not as large as say World of Warcraft was at launch.