Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice to those bored of GW2, try TERA!!!

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Thorkune

I have played both games extensively and I will give you my 2 cents worth on each:

To me...Tera's combat is overhyped, the quests are boring, and I am not a fan of the Asian art. I was excited to try it again as a F2P title, but soon remembered why I quit. Everyone brags on the "action combat", but if making your index finger go numb due to spamming the mouse button is "action", I guess that's cool for some. I'll keep it on my hard drive this time, but I can never see me playing it regularly.

It took me a long time to warm up to GW2 because of the heart quest grind and the fact that all of the classes felt the same to me. But, I started liking the necro class after trying them all. I can't put my finger on it,  but there is still something about the game that cannot draw me in to make me love it. I will definitely be playing it on and off for a long time to come, but I can't see it ever being my main mmo.

I think I can answer your GW2 question.  Its a quality made MMO that has no character.  Though the world is beautiful and flush it is devoid of any warmth.  And it comes off as an 'arcade' version of an RPG.  There is no real commitment in the title so there is nothing really to take serious.  No conflict. No (RP)G.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    I tried Tera up to 33, and just couldn't play anymore cause of the boring quest system. The combat was nothing I haven't already played on a console, and was only fun on slayer for a bit to me. I still enjoy GW2 but it's not my main MMO, I like to go to it when these new events start up. Tera does have beautiful asthetics and runs well cause Unreal 3 is a very smooth engine.

^-- THIS

Combat is half of the mechanic for me.  Story is the other.  I need a good reason to cause all of this genocide and I like to be entertained.  TERA's story feels generic and tacked on.   Also hard for me to get over doing the SAME starter island over and over again.  Who does 1 starter area in 2012???

Perhaps if I could get past that there is something I may enjoy but I may never find out :-S

yea felt the same got my slayer in the 30s got bored playing the same exact dps role over and over.. I wanted a change but tried to start a new character and couldn't bring myself to play over all the exact same content again with a second class.. The classes are way to shallow imho and not enough variety in skills or equipment.. overall the game is extremely shallow in almost all aspects and found no reason to continue to play once the combat aspects wore thin.. very pretty game though such a shame the rest I found very dull.. combat was fun but with no variety it got stale.. at least in gw2 any class i play i can change up my playstyle completely every 10 or so levels

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    It's really hard to take anyone who knocks on GW2's graphics seriously.  Trying to sell an alternative to perhaps the most beautifully and artistically realized virtual world ever by citing the alternative game's beautiful world and graphics?  That's one bad conversion strategy.  
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Alakor
    TERA is prolly the shittiest, half polished, no content, quest crappy grind game ever created, its AION 2.0 but even worse =/ dead game.

Dead games dont have que to login.image

Originally posted by Mannish
    TERA is prolly the shittiest, half polished, no content, quest crappy grind game ever created, its AION 2.0 but even worse =/ dead game.

it's hardly a crappy game and with its move to F2P obviously will have a big turn out especially right now.. just wish it had more options in skills/classes and more things to do and at least a decent questing system... oh well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Personally I think TERA is a great game.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Homitu
    It's really hard to take anyone who knocks on GW2's graphics seriously.  Trying to sell an alternative to perhaps the most beautifully and artistically realized virtual world ever by citing the alternative game's beautiful world and graphics?  That's one bad conversion strategy.  

It was probably a good way if the intention was to actually get ppl that didn' tlike GW2 to try it. The styles are not the same, in fact I'd go so far as to say they're the opposite. gw2 does a good job of being very realistic, tera on the other hand is very fantasy.

It's not really a matter of what's better but what someone likes better.

If you're a fan of gw2 you probably wont like tera. Nothing wrong with that. If you have a game you love you're lucky. The thread was titled " if you're bored of gw2 " So not aimed at people who still like it ;) 

If gw2 didn't do it for you tera is a good game to try ( it is free after all ) No reason for fans of gw2 to feel like they need to defend it though. These 2 games don't compete for the same types of gamers imo.

• montella1986montella1986 Member Posts: 4
    uninstalled Tera after playing it for 10 minutes. Def not better then gw2, atleast for me.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

it's hardly a crappy game and with its move to F2P obviously will have a big turn out especially right now.. just wish it had more options in skills/classes and more things to do and at least a decent questing system... oh well

Understandable and I agree wtih everything you just said. Now with me going back to the game knowing what to expect from it I am really enjoying it this time around. Its actually keeping me from playing my main game which at launch it could not do.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Understandable and I agree wtih everything you just said. Now with me going back to the game knowing what to expect from it I am really enjoying it this time around. Its actually keeping me from playing my main game which at launch it could not do.

yea my friend really likes it he plays gw2 as well and goes to TERA because he likes to just "turn his brain off" as he says and just kill things.. he said gw2 requires him to pay attention a lot more and can't do that while drinking lol..

• wardoxywardoxy Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Well, I did experience boringness after having 100% map completion and a 80 toon, so I tried something else, TSW to be more precise, and I'm really liking it a lot, the setting is amazing In my opinion. I honestly think I just got fed from fantasy setting mmorpgs, it's too much beaten up and so many of it walks this earth, change is good sometimes, It was a good change, atleast for me.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Well I'm not bored of GW2, so.....
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Tera went F2P for a REASON. They have not added to the game where its hurting since it was released 2 YEARS ago in Korea. The guides are worthless, there is no information in the game about key components like guilds...whats the actual DIFFERENCE between a lvl 1, 2 or 3 guild other than being able to take part in the political system!?! there is a guild NPC there that just "says" hey we hired a bunch of arcitects, cant wait to see what guild hall you chose...and NO INFORMATION about WHERE these arcitects are and how TO CHOSE! Zero information on the main site...and guess what? NONE ON THE WIKI'S either! There isnt even a SPLIT STACK option to be found anywhere and worse yet, the community is CRAP, they dont answer questions. Global is freaking Barrens chat and Area chat isnt that much better.

Hell, they STILL have the crafting quests in the starter area and it takes 2.5 gold to do ONE of them...something no new player will come close to having HALF of, when the LEAVE the starter area! And im not even going to get into how bad the crafting system is let alone its extreme expense for items nowhere near as good as what you loot and get for quest rewards.

Tera is still a great looking game in a large world where most everything else was done half-assed...and now it has a store done half-assed where it costs $175 for a town atlas...that last 30 days...lol.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

And that's just your opinion, right?

IMO Tera has way better grahics than GW2 and a way better looking world but that's just my opinion.

I found it hard to take you seriously after your comment.image

Originally posted by drivendawn
    I played both games and think they are comparable to one another. On one hand GW2's world has alot more things to do and places to explore. On the other hand in my opinion the combat system and dungeons in tera are better.

I actually think the combat system in TERA wipes the floor with the sleep mode combat system that is GW2.  The world of Tera is far more appealing but everyone has a different opinion.

Some people like tro claim they are speaking for the whole instead of making it clear it's just their take on a game. You usually find these are the over the top fans who wear rose tinted glasses no matter what there favorite game of the month is like.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I tried Tera up to 33, and just couldn't play anymore cause of the boring quest system. The combat was nothing I haven't already played on a console, and was only fun on slayer for a bit to me. I still enjoy GW2 but it's not my main MMO, I like to go to it when these new events start up. Tera does have beautiful asthetics and runs well cause Unreal 3 is a very smooth engine.

^ pretty much the same.  It gets very rinse and repeat.  Not to say there is anything better out at the moment and you could argue the same thing against almost any game on the streeet right now.  The genre has stagnated, to me it has all become a bit boring.  I know my problem no one elses, but here is hoping a publisher decides to break from the norm and try something new.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

tried tera and besides it's visually stuning graphics there's nothing much underneath.

The action combat is fun for few days and then there's nothing new that might keep you going, the game just isn't just my cup of tea and not to mention how redicilous the armor sets look like :D

the quests are boring and it's like playing WOW all over again (and I've quit wow because of boring static quests and endless and pointless raiding for year after year after year) and even tho the combat system might be cool in an mmorpg it's just not something what I haven't seen before in other games and after I initially was excited it went more into the "meh, yawn" feeling after few days.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Hatefull

^ pretty much the same.  It gets very rinse and repeat.  Not to say there is anything better out at the moment and you could argue the same thing against almost any game on the streeet right now.  The genre has stagnated, to me it has all become a bit boring.  I know my problem no one elses, but here is hoping a publisher decides to break from the norm and try something new.

MMORPGs have development cycles of 3-5 years.

Beating the first experience everyone had when playing a MMORPG for the first time will take a huge jump, especially since players have been jumping all over titles and enjoying all the little differences plus MMORPGs themselves keep evolving.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

IMO Tera has way better grahics than GW2 and a way better looking world but that's just my opinion.

Which is better is certainly subjective.  There are certainly elements of subjectivity to beauty.  But there are also objective elements.  No doubt Tera has a beautiful world as well.  If I tried to deny that, I would be trolling as surely as the OP would be trolling if he tried to deny GW2's beauty.  It just is.  No opinion about it.  

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    I tried Tera before I tried GW2 and as bored as I am with GW2 I would never go back to Tera over GW2.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    GW2 is just a waste of hard drive space anymore. With the free games out now, and the games coming out / relaunching this year, GW2 is old news.
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Which is better is certainly subjective.  There are certainly elements of subjectivity to beauty.  But there are also objective elements.  No doubt Tera has a beautiful world as well.  If I tried to deny that, I would be trolling as surely as the OP would be trolling if he tried to deny GW2's beauty.  It just is.  No opinion about it.  

It just isn't and it is an opinion.image

Do you have a problem with opinions, if so then perhaps forums like these are not the place for you.image

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by khameleon

I stopped playing GW2 after halloween event, the game gets boring once the "new game feel" wears off. It was not what i thought it would be at all. 

I started up TERA which is 100% free this week and everything about it feels better than my 1st week in GW2. Graphics are much, much better, the best Ive seen overall in any MMO.

The combat is pure action combat, no tab, aim everything, time dodges, blocks and really is very fun.

The world is alive so many people joined up, erach map is full of players on every server in the huge, beautiful open world.

No point to go on and on, just thought you all shoudl know its worth trying and is a better game than GW2.

Played many years in WOW and last few months in GW2.

Few days ago when TERA become Free-to-Play, I tried it too.

My feeling about TERA:

Gpraphics - nice.

Characters- nice (strange 18+ bikini-armor :)

Landscapes around - visually looks nice, but if you come close: just theatrical scenery, plastic dummies. You can't even jump from a bridge or a cliff to the sea - because invisible walls everywhere. I hate invisible walls - I not feel this world as a open.

Questing - standard wow-style. NPCs with "?" in head.

Control - very unusual and terrible mouse moving. Can't click on abilities.

Jumping - forget about jumping puzzles :)

Exploring - not interested because invisible walls.

Gameplay - I tried elementalist, he can't cast on moving, he can't interrupt cast if need to move. Sad.

After 1h playing deleted it.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I tried TERA recently. I have to say after 6 months of GW2, TERA felt stiff and unresponsive. When i jumped from a small cliff and lost complete control of my character so the game could play a falling animation I logged off.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by QSatu
    I tried TERA recently. I have to say after 6 months of GW2, TERA felt stiff and unresponsive. When i jumped from a small cliff and lost complete control of my character so the game could play a falling animation I logged off.

And why should you have any control over your character when you jump from a cliff?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
This discussion has been closed.