Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Massively pokes fun at paying $1000 to "interview" the SV dev who then dodges the questions

2

Comments

  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts El Do, KSPosts: 1,555Member
    I think if you lack integrity in your journalism you should look for another line of work. 

    "I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

  • deathshrouddeathshroud londonPosts: 1,366Member
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by deathshroud

    gross misconduct by her that could result in legal action is cause for being fired imo, her job is to write articles but your suppsoed to at least research it first.

     

     

     Except of course that there was "no gross misconduct by her that could result in legal action".  To suggest otherwise is laughable.

     

    The whole response on the official forum has been framed by the tone of the OP and thus everyone has their pitchforks and internet laywer suits out.  Her quote is contained in the very first post in this thread.  The quote is 100% accurate.

     

    Again,  I have $5.  I want to interview Henrik.  Please point me in the proper direction.

     

    EDIT To Add:  Also, this is the SECOND donation interview they have had.  You know how much the first one went for?  Oh yeah... $1000.   What a coincidence!

     

    so what you are saying is the article was purposefully worded to put sv in a bad light ignoring the whole facts surrounding the actual story and not accidental? how is that any better.

    there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLPosts: 4,495Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by deathshroud
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by deathshroud

    gross misconduct by her that could result in legal action is cause for being fired imo, her job is to write articles but your suppsoed to at least research it first.

     

     

     Except of course that there was "no gross misconduct by her that could result in legal action".  To suggest otherwise is laughable.

     

    The whole response on the official forum has been framed by the tone of the OP and thus everyone has their pitchforks and internet laywer suits out.  Her quote is contained in the very first post in this thread.  The quote is 100% accurate.

     

    Again,  I have $5.  I want to interview Henrik.  Please point me in the proper direction.

     

    EDIT To Add:  Also, this is the SECOND donation interview they have had.  You know how much the first one went for?  Oh yeah... $1000.   What a coincidence!

     

    so what you are saying is the article was purposefully worded to put sv in a bad light ignoring the whole facts surrounding the actual story and not accidental? how is that any better.

     No.. that's not what I said at all.  But I will ask you one more time.  I have $5.  I want to interview Henrik.  Can you show me where to go to get that done?

     

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

  • cirsyndiccirsyndic BeogradPosts: 261Member
    I'm sure the guys at massively will lose many nights of sleep because a statistical anomaly of a community is calling for one of their writers to get fired. :D
  • deathshrouddeathshroud londonPosts: 1,366Member
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by deathshroud
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by deathshroud

    gross misconduct by her that could result in legal action is cause for being fired imo, her job is to write articles but your suppsoed to at least research it first.

     

     

     Except of course that there was "no gross misconduct by her that could result in legal action".  To suggest otherwise is laughable.

     

    The whole response on the official forum has been framed by the tone of the OP and thus everyone has their pitchforks and internet laywer suits out.  Her quote is contained in the very first post in this thread.  The quote is 100% accurate.

     

    Again,  I have $5.  I want to interview Henrik.  Please point me in the proper direction.

     

    EDIT To Add:  Also, this is the SECOND donation interview they have had.  You know how much the first one went for?  Oh yeah... $1000.   What a coincidence!

     

    so what you are saying is the article was purposefully worded to put sv in a bad light ignoring the whole facts surrounding the actual story and not accidental? how is that any better.

     No.. that's not what I said at all.  But I will ask you one more time.  I have $5.  I want to interview Henrik.  Can you show me where to go to get that done?

     

    you could keep your 5.00 and send him a private message via the forums for free or contact him via irc he often replies or at least used to.

    there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLPosts: 4,495Member Uncommon
    This guy said it best:
     
     
      Avaera 5pts 2 hours ago

     

    @Lahuzer @TomRomdal Isn't it true that the interview only happened because he was the top contibutor, as mentioned above? What exactly did Massively get wrong?

    The article reporting on the interview mentions the other rewards, and is the very first link provided in this topic content, so Massively can hardly be accused of misleading anyone. Bear in mind that the Daily Grind column is not about reporting detailed news and extensive analysis, it's about inviting opinions and discussion from the readers.

    I read the MO thread about this topic, and I have to say that it made me ashamed to think that being a gamer means I am lumped in with those kinds of rabid, misogynistic and simply unintelligent 'fan' attitudes. There were posters going almost unchallenged in saying that they should try and fund a lawyer's attack on Massively for, what, having an opinion about their game that could *maybe* be interpreted as less than unquestioning adoration? Of course the usual misogyny was evident, but to try and personally identify and threaten someone (with death, mind you) for having an opinion... it's just abhorrent. Especially when the negativity towards the game is entirely fabricated in their own sensitive little minds. Ugh.

     

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

  • TalonsinTalonsin Posts: 1,468Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lahuzer

    What does ANYTHING of that have to do with the donation system that they have in place now, that the MO players ASKED for?

     

    Dont any of you find it odd that the fans have asked for years for certain fixes and yet right after someone suggests SV take donations the system gets top priority and put in place?  You can say it didnt take a lot of resources but SV only has one full-time developer from my understanding.  He must have been pulled away from "actual" gameplay work to code the extras and to implement the donation system.  Sadly, if SV would just listen to the players, they would earn a whole lot more in monthly sub fee's than this donation system is ever going to bring in.

  • GenadiGenadi BrisbanePosts: 110Member
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Originally posted by Genadi
    (mod edit)

    Well... Maybe cause it WAS the players that asked for it? http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/supporters-of-mo.79645/

    Did you miss that tiny part in that very same thread you quoted it from before you went "Fanboism at it's finest"? Then I say your statement is "hateboism at it's finest"...

     

    You missed my point in your rush to blindly defend. There are loads of things that have been requested by the community far more than donations. Fixing the lag has been requested 1,000 times more than donations, Discord stepping down, taming system, magic, tailoring just to name a few are all suggestions that have been made many times over. What's funny is most of those posts are buried or closed for no reason yet the 'donation suggestion' is now stickied and promoted by the company. You failed to see the irony in SV taking on board the donation suggestion while ignoring what's been requested by more people for over 2 years. Not only that you attempted to defend it....

    That is why it's fanboism at it's finest. I see what you tried to do there but you failed miserably.

  • deathshrouddeathshroud londonPosts: 1,366Member
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Originally posted by Lahuzer

    What does ANYTHING of that have to do with the donation system that they have in place now, that the MO players ASKED for?

     

    Dont any of you find it odd that the fans have asked for years for certain fixes and yet right after someone suggests SV take donations the system gets top priority and put in place?  You can say it didnt take a lot of resources but SV only has one full-time developer from my understanding.  He must have been pulled away from "actual" gameplay work to code the extras and to implement the donation system.  Sadly, if SV would just listen to the players, they would earn a whole lot more in monthly sub fee's than this donation system is ever going to bring in.

    exactly why im not playing, but thats a different topic altogether

    there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

  • VelocinoxVelocinox Old Folks Home, CAPosts: 810Member Uncommon

    Gamers are fickle kool-aid drinking cult followers. leading up to release they agree with everything the developer says, showers them with compliments and laugh at all their jokes. After release it begins to wane after a few months, and then those same players begin to finally question the developers. They start criticizing, demanding and ranting. But the most damaging are the ones that just walk away and ignore the game. It's always an all to nothing fall.

    These same people posting in glowing support of the game now, will be on another 'almost ready' MMO's forums three to six months after MO is released, and won't even believe, much less remember the amount of sugar coated rose colored glasses forgiveness they showered on developers they aren't even paying attention to anymore.

    Pre-release and Beta seems to fulfill some sort of endorphin craving in MMO players as they both pour over every word developers release while simultaneously ignoring what they are saying in favor of some lizard brain fantasy of the game they think/hope/crave it's going to be.

    there needs to be a hell of a lot more critical thinking and a hell of a lot less blind euphoria from fans during beta, and maybe they won't become so disillusioned after release and flock to the next pie-in-the-sky wish fulfillment electronic drug.

     

    And the funniest thing about the post? The people who are going to attack this post thinking it's an attack on MO and not even knowing they are the real subjects of the post, and the game doesn't even matter.

    'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.


    When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.


    No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.


    How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

  • JacxolopeJacxolope Jackson, MIPosts: 924Member
    Originally posted by Velocinox

    Gamers are fickle kool-aid drinking cult followers. leading up to release they agree with everything the developer says, showers them with compliments and laugh at all their jokes. After release it begins to wane after a few months, and then those same players begin to finally question the developers. They start criticizing, demanding and ranting. But the most damaging are the ones that just walk away and ignore the game. It's always an all to nothing fall.

    These same people posting in glowing support of the game now, will be on another 'almost ready' MMO's forums three to six months after MO is released, and won't even believe, much less remember the amount of sugar coated rose colored glasses forgiveness they showered on developers they aren't even paying attention to anymore.

    Pre-release and Beta seems to fulfill some sort of endorphin craving in MMO players as they both pour over every word developers release while simultaneously ignoring what they are saying in favor of some lizard brain fantasy of the game they think/hope/crave it's going to be.

    there needs to be a hell of a lot more critical thinking and a hell of a lot less blind euphoria from fans during beta, and maybe they won't become so disillusioned after release and flock to the next pie-in-the-sky wish fulfillment electronic drug.

     

    And the funniest thing about the post? The people who are going to attack this post thinking it's an attack on MO and not even knowing they are the real subjects of the post, and the game doesn't even matter.

    Okay, first off I agree with EVERYTHING you said... But I am not sure if you know this but MO has been out like 2-3 years already. =P

  • LahuzerLahuzer BorPosts: 666Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Genadi
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Originally posted by Genadi
    (mod edit)

    Well... Maybe cause it WAS the players that asked for it? http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/supporters-of-mo.79645/

    Did you miss that tiny part in that very same thread you quoted it from before you went "Fanboism at it's finest"? Then I say your statement is "hateboism at it's finest"...

     

    You missed my point in your rush to blindly defend. There are loads of things that have been requested by the community far more than donations. Fixing the lag has been requested 1,000 times more than donations, Discord stepping down, taming system, magic, tailoring just to name a few are all suggestions that have been made many times over. What's funny is most of those posts are buried or closed for no reason yet the 'donation suggestion' is now stickied and promoted by the company. You failed to see the irony in SV taking on board the donation suggestion while ignoring what's been requested by more people for over 2 years. Not only that you attempted to defend it....

    That is why it's fanboism at it's finest. I see what you tried to do there but you failed miserably.

    Well, you seem to miss the point that some of MOs fans really want the game to get to the point SV and the players want. And we all know SV don't have bottomless hole with money to spend on fixing stuff. So fans asked for a donation system to speed things up and get the players more stuff. Really don't see any irony in SV picking up on that. They would be stupid not to do it, when they see that players actually wanna give them a helping hand.

  • LahuzerLahuzer BorPosts: 666Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    This guy said it best:
     
     
      Avaera 5pts 2 hours ago

     

    @Lahuzer @TomRomdal Isn't it true that the interview only happened because he was the top contibutor, as mentioned above? What exactly did Massively get wrong?

    The article reporting on the interview mentions the other rewards, and is the very first link provided in this topic content, so Massively can hardly be accused of misleading anyone. Bear in mind that the Daily Grind column is not about reporting detailed news and extensive analysis, it's about inviting opinions and discussion from the readers.

    I read the MO thread about this topic, and I have to say that it made me ashamed to think that being a gamer means I am lumped in with those kinds of rabid, misogynistic and simply unintelligent 'fan' attitudes. There were posters going almost unchallenged in saying that they should try and fund a lawyer's attack on Massively for, what, having an opinion about their game that could *maybe* be interpreted as less than unquestioning adoration? Of course the usual misogyny was evident, but to try and personally identify and threaten someone (with death, mind you) for having an opinion... it's just abhorrent. Especially when the negativity towards the game is entirely fabricated in their own sensitive little minds. Ugh.

     

    @AvaeraWhat? I might be stupid, but where in this article does it mention how the donation system works in MO? Or where in any link at the top do they mention this:

    "At the end of each month, that month's top donor will get a one on one interview with Henrik to get your questions answered. These will be posted for all to see." And that for the 1000 dollars he donated he also got:

    • Custom forum title, "Champion of Nave"
    • Lifetime game subscription
    • Unique silver cloak (account-wide)
    • In-game title, "the Generous" (account-wide)
    • Name an NPC in Nave with Henrik Nystrom
    • One discontinued "full loot bag" signed by Henrik Nystrom and Sebastian Persson
    And it's they way the reporter present it that is wrong, and missleading. Just read on all the replies in this very same thread. People here seem to actually think that you had to pay 1000 dollars for a interview, and only a interview with Henrik. It's bad journalism at it's best.
  • ToferioToferio RandomPosts: 1,403Member Uncommon
    Shrug, her job was to pose a question to the community, not to pitch MOs' donation system. She mentioned what is relevant (i.e. Aralis getting the interview for being top donator). Plain and simple. 
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts El Do, KSPosts: 1,555Member
    Plain and simple she misled her readers into believing that this man paid 1000 dollars for an interview. When in fact that was one of many perks he got for loving and supporting the game he chooses to play.

    "I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

  • LahuzerLahuzer BorPosts: 666Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Toferio
    Shrug, her job was to pose a question to the community, not to pitch MOs' donation system. She mentioned what is relevant (i.e. Aralis getting the interview for being top donator). Plain and simple. 

    If that were the case then she could just have said "Would you pay to get a interview with one of your favorite developers, and if so, how much would you pay to do so?".

    But here she insinuates that he had to pay 1000 dollars to get the interview, and also puts in her opinion that Henrik dodges the questions that is asked. And says "which'd probably annoy me if I had just effectively spent $1000 for the privilege of emailing a few questions off to a dev I admired", making it sound like he only got the interview for the money he donated.

    I understand that the hate here from people against SV makes this article seem legit and accurate, and brings up all the facts. But it doesn't. Why did she leave out how the donation system acctually works in MO if she wanna take the interview with Henrik and SV as a example? And make it right instead of leaving out how it goes down? You go ahead and think this is good journalism, and thank you for reminding me why I shouldn't visit the MO forums here.

  • LahuzerLahuzer BorPosts: 666Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Plain and simple she misled her readers into believing that this man paid 1000 dollars for an interview. When in fact that was one of many perks he got for loving and supporting the game he chooses to play.

    ^ This...

  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts El Do, KSPosts: 1,555Member
    There has been a large influx of new players to MO lately and this feels like a paid smear job by someone who doesn't want them to grow. The game has bugs. Hackers, exploiters, glitches, and griefers, but I still can't find any other game that I enjoy as much as this one. Hopefully someday the Holy Grail sandbox will come along, but for now I am just happy survivng on SV's ark until the great flood of coockie cutter games for casual idiots subsides.

    "I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

  • ToferioToferio RandomPosts: 1,403Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    There has been a large influx of new players to MO lately and this feels like a paid smear job by someone who doesn't want them to grow.

    Seriously.. you think someone is that worried about small indie company with few thousand players?

  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLPosts: 4,495Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Toferio
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    There has been a large influx of new players to MO lately and this feels like a paid smear job by someone who doesn't want them to grow.

    Seriously.. you think someone is that worried about small indie company with few thousand players?

     Yes.  In their minds it's always a conspiracy.  Usually by "a small group of former players that couldn't handle the game".  It is so consistent that the community has literally provided years of fun just watching it.  it's always someone elses fault... EPIC games.. EPIC China.. a volcano.. their ISP... their billing company.. World of Warcraft... and biased websites (which apparently include ALL websites outside of the official forum).

     

    99.9% of the people that read the article understood the article and appreciated it's point.  The 20-30 people from the official forum thread are the only ones who actually believe that this is a conspiracy by a former player to try and discredit the upstanding Starvault.  Yes, that aspersion was made on the official forum, not refuted by the Dev that posted there, and then carried here by another poster.  All you really need to know about the community can be found in the original post on the official forums.  The poster blatantly states "They should apologize and suck his ballz".  No moderation done to the post.  As a matter of fact that kind of behavior seems to be encouraged because a developer posted in the thread and did nothing but encourage their ridiculous ranting.

     

    Apparently the only reviews or articles which are "fair" are those which are posted by their self-acknowledged hardcore fans and/or those that are publicly posted on those forums to allow the community to critique prior to showing the outside world. 

     

    There are real world analogies here to other groups that do this... and they aren't pretty.

    "I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

    Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon
    No matter how bad things get, i guess there will always be a demand for tinfoil hats image
  • deathshrouddeathshroud londonPosts: 1,366Member
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by Toferio
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    There has been a large influx of new players to MO lately and this feels like a paid smear job by someone who doesn't want them to grow.

    Seriously.. you think someone is that worried about small indie company with few thousand players?

     Yes.  In their minds it's always a conspiracy.  Usually by "a small group of former players that couldn't handle the game".  It is so consistent that the community has literally provided years of fun just watching it.  it's always someone elses fault... EPIC games.. EPIC China.. a volcano.. their ISP... their billing company.. World of Warcraft... and biased websites (which apparently include ALL websites outside of the official forum).

     

    99.9% of the people that read the article understood the article and appreciated it's point.  The 20-30 people from the official forum thread are the only ones who actually believe that this is a conspiracy by a former player to try and discredit the upstanding Starvault.  Yes, that aspersion was made on the official forum, not refuted by the Dev that posted there, and then carried here by another poster.  All you really need to know about the community can be found in the original post on the official forums.  The poster blatantly states "They should apologize and suck his ballz".  No moderation done to the post.  As a matter of fact that kind of behavior seems to be encouraged because a developer posted in the thread and did nothing but encourage their ridiculous ranting.

     

    Apparently the only reviews or articles which are "fair" are those which are posted by their self-acknowledged hardcore fans and/or those that are publicly posted on those forums to allow the community to critique prior to showing the outside world. 

     

    There are real world analogies here to other groups that do this... and they aren't pretty.

    strangely enough most of you are former players is that a conspiracy

    there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

  • osmundaosmunda slidell, LAPosts: 1,087Member

    While it may be crude, there is nothing unethical about what Starvault did.  They very clearly classify these as donations and clearly delineate the cosmetic items etc that people will get at each donation level. No one donating has any guarantee that they will get the interview.

    The article was a little misleading in the title "Would you pay to interview a developer?" The real question should be "Would you donate $1000 for the development of an MMO with some rewards that have trivial value compared to the donation ?"

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/382040989/xsyon-apocalypse/?ref=kicktraq

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forsakenstudios/embers-of-caerus-investor-prototype/?ref=kicktraq

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo/?ref=kicktraq

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/appleton/greed-monger-a-crafting-focused-sandbox-mmorpg/?ref=kicktraq

  • ToferioToferio RandomPosts: 1,403Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by osmunda

    The article was a little misleading in the title "Would you pay to interview a developer?" The real question should be "Would you donate $1000 for the development of an MMO with some rewards that have trivial value compared to the donation ?"

    I believe that the title is actually correct. The question was not about MOs case of interview as a reward for the donation, they merely used it as an excuse to start a similar discussion.

  • osmundaosmunda slidell, LAPosts: 1,087Member
    Originally posted by Toferio
    I believe that the title is actually correct. The question was not about MOs case of interview as a reward for the donation, they merely used it as an excuse to start a similar discussion.

    I didn't say that it was incorrect or intentionally deceptive.  

    Clearly several games are making a formal request for donations. Whether people would donate and what they consider appropriate recognition for donating is certainly a worthwhile topic of discussion. What is appropriate recognition for a $1000 donation: a portrait of your character and lifetime subscription;  An in-game title, invitation to the launch party, signed sheet music, the opportunity to assist in designing a weapon, and recognition in the credits; Early beta access, in-game consumables, and 3 month subscription; Beta access, in game territory, a T-shirt and access to a rare spawn.

    If you think the Massively article was "an excuse to start a discussion" does that mean you disagree with the sentiment that  "the mainstream gaming press is finally calling SV out on some of their questionable tactics. "

2
Sign In or Register to comment.