Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want this game bad now..

1235»

Comments

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by dzoni87

And, if it is not about being Elder Scrolls, why is it called "Elder Scrolls Online" in the first place (there could be one reason for that, but i will avoid to mention it this time :P )?

Yeah, this is the problem I have with the whole debacle.  Maybe the devs didn't figure they could get anywhere without putting a popular IP on the box, because while faction locks are slightly irritating in and of themselves, the point is that ESO is attached to a game series that has been going strong for a decade and a half based on exploration in a sandboxy environment. 

Now we get a watered down version with more spell effects and rigid MMO mechanics.  Why bother?  It might be a great game, but it's not Elder Scrolls.

game uses ES races, set in ES world, uses ES lore, combat is based on ES models from past games but tweaked for an MMO enviornment.. how is it not ES?

honestly still seems really rash to judge the game and called it not ES this early and without playing it...

I didn't get bent out of shape when world of warcraft came out and it wasn't an RTS based

Well, this is actually the issue, that is keeping me from deciding to play TESO. I loved "regular" TES games for what they were, not just for lore and such... (though i tried other spin-offs, they didnt felt like TES game either, for their own reasons). Playing Catfolk or Lizardfolk or 'revisiting' Skyrim, Morrowind or High Rock isnt just enough for me (similar thing with how much excited i was to play with Lightsaber just wasnt enough to keep me interested). And yea, i played enough of more or less similar MMORPGs just to continue with another one, just because it have TES label on it.

This all being said, i may still be proven wrong and TESO may turn out to be an awesome game, so i will keep my final judgement untill i actually see the game in practice. However, having label of well known franchise is not enough in this day and age (one recent example thought us that, pretty well). And, out of spin-offs, area restriction is not known to be sort of TES thing (not counting restriction of Tamriel in game which bears name like "Morrowind" or "Skyrim").

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Fearum

And, if it is not about being Elder Scrolls, why is it called "Elder Scrolls Online" in the first place (there could be one reason for that, but i will avoid to mention it this time :P )?

Yeah, this is the problem I have with the whole debacle.  Maybe the devs didn't figure they could get anywhere without putting a popular IP on the box, because while faction locks are slightly irritating in and of themselves, the point is that ESO is attached to a game series that has been going strong for a decade and a half based on exploration in a sandboxy environment. 

Now we get a watered down version with more spell effects and rigid MMO mechanics.  Why bother?  It might be a great game, but it's not Elder Scrolls.

The ES single player games are more focused on story telling, they are playable books with crappy combat thrown in between the pages. That doesnt transfer over to an MMO style game well no matter how you try and slice it.

Theproblem here is there is no problem, its just your opinion on how they are doing it is your own and you feel the need to tell everyone about it. The PvP is based around 3 faction warfare, if they didnt have faction locks it would fail to be what they are trying to make this game into. If you don't like it, don't play it, its pretty easy. I don't get people who harp on stuff they don't like instead of finding something else they do like or better yet making it themselves.

FORGIVE ME MASTER, FOR HAVING AN OPINION ON THE INTERNET THAT DOESN'T MATCH YOUR OWN!  I SHALL KEEP THEM TO MYSELF!

*prostrates*

Ok, obviously your all about post count, thanks for confirming this. GW2 does nothing for me, but do you see me making posts about how the game is nothing like I think it should be? No, because I don't plan on playing it.

And you're obviously about telling me that there's a problem with me telling other people my opinion on a public forum.  OH EMM GEE BILLY!  Not to be rude or anything, but that's the silliest complaint I've heard today.  But hey, maybe you can tweak your own advice and you know, not read my posts if you don't like them.  Nowhere did I say I don't intend to play the game, especially not based on something that really doesn't bother me that much, just that it seems to be a problem for others and I can understand their POV.

So you like to complain just to complain, ok I see your POV.

*Edit* fixed your to the proper place, thanks for the grammar correction.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The ES single player games are more focused on story telling, they are playable books with crappy combat thrown in between the pages. That doesnt transfer over to an MMO style game well no matter how you try and slice it.

Theproblem here is there is no problem, its just your opinion on how they are doing it is your own and you feel the need to tell everyone about it. The PvP is based around 3 faction warfare, if they didnt have faction locks it would fail to be what they are trying to make this game into. If you don't like it, don't play it, its pretty easy. I don't get people who harp on stuff they don't like instead of finding something else they do like or better yet making it themselves.

FORGIVE ME MASTER, FOR HAVING AN OPINION ON THE INTERNET THAT DOESN'T MATCH YOUR OWN!  I SHALL KEEP THEM TO MYSELF!

*prostrates*

Ok, obviously your all about post count, thanks for confirming this. GW2 does nothing for me, but do you see me making posts about how the game is nothing like I think it should be? No, because I don't plan on playing it.

And you're obviously about telling me that there's a problem with me telling other people my opinion on a public forum.  OH EMM GEE BILLY!  Not to be rude or anything, but that's the silliest complaint I've heard today.  But hey, maybe you can tweak your own advice and you know, not read my posts if you don't like them.  Nowhere did I say I don't intend to play the game, especially not based on something that really doesn't bother me that much, just that it seems to be a problem for others and I can understand their POV.

So you like to complain just to complain, ok I see your POV.

No offense, but I'm blocking you.  You're obviously all about post count. :)

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Thanks, I will do the same since you add nothing of any signifigance with your ground breaking posts.
  • SarethorSarethor Member UncommonPosts: 41

Are people really using Alpha footage ~1 year prior to release as some kind of justification to claim this game will be terrible?  No one really knows how it'll be even 6 months from now. Oy gevalt. 

You'd think by now I'd not be surprised in this fine internet sandbox where respect, critical thinking and actual knowledge/experience are superseded by immaturity and myriad other unsavory character traits.  Oh, and it's cloaked in the "opinion" sphere yet spoken as irrefutable proof.

Having a debate about something is educational if approached correctly.  Just know that in the real world, when you start speaking in absolutes and not providing proper context to your opinions, you've just really lost the ability to have a real debate where everyone - including you - might actually learn something.  

Perspective is everything and trying to pass off opinion as fact is comical at best.  At worst, it shows the individuals motivation, albeit steadfastly denied.

The internet is an amazing platform for some people to showcase their deficiencies as a person.

Regards,
    Sarethor

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Sarethor

Are people really using Alpha footage ~1 year prior to release as some kind of justification to claim this game will be terrible?  No one really knows how it'll be even 6 months from now. Oy gevalt. 

You'd think by now I'd not be surprised in this fine internet sandbox where respect, critical thinking and actual knowledge/experience are superseded by immaturity and myriad other unsavory character traits.  Oh, and it's cloaked in the "opinion" sphere yet spoken as irrefutable proof.

Having a debate about something is educational if approached correctly.  Just know that in the real world, when you start speaking in absolutes and not providing proper context to your opinions, you've just really lost the ability to have a real debate where everyone - including you - might actually learn something.  

Perspective is everything and trying to pass off opinion as fact is comical at best.  At worst, it shows the individuals motivation, albeit steadfastly denied.

You have to understand the perspective people who have no intention of playing a game have. It comes down to several factors:

1) It threatens a game they love, so rather than say "WoW rules!" or "GW2 is the best thing since sliced bread" they nitpick the minute details

2) They hate the company for whatever reason

3) The are what i call purists....dont beleive that there should be any deviation from the brand, lore, etc.

4) Are the sandbox/theme park fanatics (pick a side)

or

5) the iconic mmorpg.com poster....just hates everything and noone should have fun, so that they all may get together and pine over the "glory" days of mmos while shining their rosey glasses.

(was originally a humorous post...but then i started thinking...and i can see how it applies to at least 75% of the posters here....freaky!)

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by FromHell

It´s a trick to stretch content, you need 3 characters to see all of the game? Have fun leveling alts? Meh..

Bad idea, lazy design. I don´t want 3 characters, I want  a seamless world exploreable for ONE character

Not sure how we can assume it's "lazy" without seeing the world as it stands. Besides would simply removing boundaries be any less "lazy"? There wouldn't be anymore content than there is now.

So, what takes longer leveling 1 char to 50 possible to play in all areas, or restricting faction areas and leveling 3 characters to 50 to see everything? This restriction is an obvious time sink method, sorry. Also how on earth does this go with the concept of previous ES games?

I never even thought about the time sink consequences of the faction area lock.  If that's their plan, they're more guilty of Blizzard at stretching out those sub dollars.  Again, my opinion is that the lock is not good at all, but it wouldn't stop me from trying the game.

That was the FIRST thing I thought when I read about this weird location lock. It´s a launch title, and launch titles usually aren´t as big as games with five expansions, so that´s a great way to buy them some time and encourage alting until the first expansion. Probably not as nasty as SWTOR let´s you digest the same content again and again by doing alts, at least you get another area with a new alt in TESO.

Anyway, I find it is a rather cheap method of stretching content. I´m probably spoiled by Age of Conan where it is possible to level in 3 different countries on launch and 4 after the first expansion, I like to mix and match countries like I want, travel around,  do some quests, then go somewhere else and do quests there..

I hated that on SWTOR, whole planets in level brackets, totally linear, you move on and never go back. Why not several planets with 1-50 level zones, why is TESO not giving us three countries in all level ranges without needing to level up alts? 

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SarethorSarethor Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by miagisan

You have to understand the perspective people who have no intention of playing a game have. It comes down to several factors:

1) It threatens a game they love, so rather than say "WoW rules!" or "GW2 is the best thing since sliced bread" they nitpick the minute details

3) The are what i call purists....dont beleive that there should be any deviation from the brand, lore, etc.

or

5) the iconic mmorpg.com poster....just hates everything and noone should have fun, so that they all may get together and pine over the "glory" days of mmos while shining their rosey glasses.

(was originally a humorous post...but then i started thinking...and i can see how it applies to at least 75% of the posters here....freaky!)

Oh, I know them well, unfortunately.   My tolerance for rubbish reasoning was low enough that I had to interject today.   :)

The internet is an amazing platform for some people to showcase their deficiencies as a person.

Regards,
    Sarethor

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

or

Or were hoping for a game closer to what the Elder Scrolls other games have been about.  Lets make an MMO out of one of the most popular video game IPS, and instead of making it like that we are going to base it off of an old MMO which most of the general public has never heard of.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh so you mean like swtor is to kotor?
  • miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by funyahns

or

Or were hoping for a game closer to what the Elder Scrolls other games have been about.  Lets make an MMO out of one of the most popular video game IPS, and instead of making it like that we are going to base it off of an old MMO which most of the general public has never heard of.

or like Dungeons and Dragons was like Dungeons and Dragons? or How world of warcraft mmo was like world of warcraft rts?

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Where's this "the game is 1 year off release" speculation coming from?

It's been in development for 6 years and Bethesda/Zenimax have -fantastic- QA.

This upcoming closed beta of theirs is simply just good business practice. It makes them look good (imagine the media storm if they DIDN'T run any form of closed beta), it's ingrained into development lifecycles for no real reason still and it's a great PR stunt these days.

What, you don't think developers actually still consider QA testing from what are mostly amateurs (yes, some programmers/testers play) who have no experience other than "they play games" a highly useful asset? Those days have long sailed. Betas are the companies chance to gather metrics, stress test servers and maybe find some minor stuff. Hence the recent trend of weekend only betas.

I'd expect to see this game before Q4 2013.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    I bet if Bioware could have seen the future they would have just made another Kotor.  As far as Warcraft its hard to compare because it was not an rpg before. Although I think they could have made an MMORTS out of the game and made a ton of cash. You knew you couldn't make a game similar to Kotor in multiplayers form because it was mostly a story driven experience. The combat was hardly fantastic.  Taking combat similar to  an Elder Scrolls game and making it for multiple people would actually be possible though. Instead of hotbar combat
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    I bet if Bioware could have seen the future they would have just made another Kotor.  As far as Warcraft its hard to compare because it was not an rpg before. Although I think they could have made an MMORTS out of the game and made a ton of cash. You knew you couldn't make a game similar to Kotor in multiplayers form because it was mostly a story driven experience. The combat was hardly fantastic.  Taking combat similar to  an Elder Scrolls game and making it for multiple people would actually be possible though. Instead of hotbar combat

Thats what they are doing tho

Aim with mouse, left mouse to attack, hold it down to power it up, right click block, hold right click and tap left to stun

That is oblivions combat mechanics, they have just added a 1-6 hotbar, but that just makes up for not being able to pause to change spell like you can in the single player games

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

from what i have seen it IS like ES combat.. you have a stamina bar your swing and block are bound to your mouse left and right click.. main difference is they added a hotbar since you can't really pause the game and swap out skills like you could in the ES games.. but actually skyrim did have a "hotbar" in a way anyway

deakon beat me to it:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

There's a finesse system which rewards tactical, clever play and usage of skills. It allows you to gain increased XP, buffs and ultimate powers. There's also evasion systems (ala GW2), everyone gets stealth and ranged combat will be available to all and will also be"aimed" with twitch-style play.

On a more speculatory note, they could do a hell of a lot with it. Class combos, skill integration with others and different skillsets depending on your choice.

Hey, sounds pretty damn fun to me.

Marginalizing the game after seeing one alpha video is a bit.. uh, misinformed to say the least.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    The OP does not need to want this game bad... all indications are that it is already bad, and won't be getting any better... :P
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    The OP does not need to want this game bad... all indications are that it is already bad, and won't be getting any better... :P

Why do people bother to come here only to post this crap?

Actually its sounding like it will be the best mmo since Dark Age of Camelot... but you're free not to play it - and you wont be missed, so why bother to come here to do some pointless comment?

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Everyone thats ever played a bethesda game knows the zones are chalk full of explorable nooks and crannys. 

which has nothing to do with this game.

the TES/FO game director Todd Howard does not even play online games, but he has played every TES game (he was a huge fan before he joined Bethesda).

Bethesda has NOTHING to do with TESO. locked zones and no housing are obvious indications of this, even if it wasn't fact. most of what i love about TES is not going to be in this game. i can't remember the exact statement that ZO made regarding housing, but it made me very sad. it was something like 'we aren't sure how it would work'.

where is the video where i can sneak into people's house, rob them, assassinate them, then sell their stuff?

oh wait.... i bet the don't know how that would work either. makes sense. lets make a game based on a series that boasts freedom, then restrict them at every turn. fun idea. 

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

or

or like Dungeons and Dragons was like Dungeons and Dragons? or How world of warcraft mmo was like world of warcraft rts?

its one rpg to another, not an rts to an rpg. Nor is it table-top to virtual.

besides, i always felt that controlling my toon in WoW was very similar to using heros in WC3, and i played both for many years (played wc games since the first one when i was 15). if anything, wc3 to WoW just gave you more freedom and customization, the opposite of what is happening here.

there is no reason that they could not have at least TRIED to make the game closer to the TES series. but from the information, it seems that they are just makeing a game similar to DAOC. its funny that peole are surprised that TES fans are unhappy about that.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

from what i have seen it IS like ES combat.. you have a stamina bar your swing and block are bound to your mouse left and right click.. main difference is they added a hotbar since you can't really pause the game and swap out skills like you could in the ES games.. but actually skyrim did have a "hotbar" in a way anyway

deakon beat me to it:P

They didnt add a hotbar, they made the hotbar visible.

For the life of me anyone who ever thought the Favorites and Q to open it should be fired.  Nothing wrong with the traditional hotbar, it allows you to see exactly what you have at your disposal.  Having to remember ohh gee is my healing hands bound to 7 or is on 8 really stupid.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Zairu

Everyone thats ever played a bethesda game knows the zones are chalk full of explorable nooks and crannys. 

which has nothing to do with this game.

the TES/FO game director Todd Howard does not even play online games, but he has played every TES game (he was a huge fan before he joined Bethesda).

Bethesda has NOTHING to do with TESO. locked zones and no housing are obvious indications of this, even if it wasn't fact. most of what i love about TES is not going to be in this game. i can't remember the exact statement that ZO made regarding housing, but it made me very sad. it was something like 'we aren't sure how it would work'.

where is the video where i can sneak into people's house, rob them, assassinate them, then sell their stuff?

oh wait.... i bet the don't know how that would work either. makes sense. lets make a game based on a series that boasts freedom, then restrict them at every turn. fun idea. 

Give 2000 players that kind of freedom in an MMO and you wouldnt have a game worth playing.

They pushed aside single player systems in favor of expanding and reworing the systems that make sense from a MMO perspective but I am not the one who is to stupid to realize the differences and similarities.

Player:  I want a game where I can explore!

Devs: ok here we give you the freedom to explore 3 full zones with the same robust and varried exploratio ncentric gameplay and we even give you a visible compass like the RPG that displays POI's in your vicinity.

Player: BAHAHAHAH I cant explore the other 6 zones, I want it nao, I want it fast, gimme gimme gimme.

Devs: face palm

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Zairu

its one rpg to another, not an rts to an rpg. Nor is it table-top to virtual.

besides, i always felt that controlling my toon in WoW was very similar to using heros in WC3, and i played both for many years (played wc games since the first one when i was 15). if anything, wc3 to WoW just gave you more freedom and customization, the opposite of what is happening here.

there is no reason that they could not have at least TRIED to make the game closer to the TES series. but from the information, it seems that they are just makeing a game similar to DAOC. its funny that peole are surprised that TES fans are unhappy about that.

To the highlighted bit

You do know the controlls for this game are going to be identicle to oblivion?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Kotor was a rpg
    Swtor copied it heavily

What you got was a shit mmo and a rpg that was inferior to its predecessors.

I'm glad TESO is being made by experienced mmo developers rather than just taking skyrim and bunging a few bits of group content in like instanced dungeons and instanced pvp minigames.