Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A real world to explore

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I have always loved to explore the games I have played during the years, even if there is nothing really to find but if the vista was nice I was happy with it.

One game that comes to mind is Dark and Light that had a huge world to explore with weather effects and seasons but sadly that game whent down the tube pretty fast.

So my question is this would you like to explore a MMO gameworld that is not zoned, none instance, huge world pretty much like this shot?

Is there something to find beyond that peak, a dungeon, a ruin, and great city?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I would love to see something like that, but the direcion of current trends isn't in our favor.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Yes I am with you too.
  • Venomizer2Venomizer2 Member Posts: 11

One seamless world would be more appealing if transportation was more life like.

Destinations are too obvious, roads are too short.

Without zones or instancing you never get the feeling of being alone. If someone happened to start wandering in your direction they would come across you in a few minutes at most.

Maybe ppl dont want that much isolation, but its not a sandbox if isolation is an impossibility.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Vanguard is your best bet until Acheage comes out
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    It will always be zoned. Or it will have very simple graphics and/or limited player count.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

I long for an MMORPG built around that idea.

The Developers create their world filled with mysteries, ruins, castles, dungeons...etc. Everything should make sense of course and the world should have rich lore (NOT A PERSONAL STORY) that you can uncover and read about by delving in the world and not the information being shoved up your ass from the very beginning.

I want to VOLUNTARY visit dungeons with my friends. I want to be set free. I don't want to be hand held and I don't like the whole world designed with Questing in mind where EVERYTHING there has a quest attached to it. I want a world where the orcs camp is there because of a reason... the lore suggests so. I MAY go there and kill them if I want to, no one is suggesting it and no one is forcing me to.

I want the developers focus on creating a rich world with PLENTY of content (dungeons, castles, mansions, lore) for me to explore and enjoy. I really don't think I NEED someone to tell me what to do. Trust me if I was thrown in the world with NO QUESTS TO TAKE MY HANDS I would actually start looking around and befriend with some random stranger and try and seek that cave over there or that dungeon we heard about.

But of course this will never happen because your average Joe doesn't like it.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

There are older games that have big worlds without using zoning like today games so it is not about technical reasons,it's about developers lack on interest in making worlds.Who can blame them when you see how many people complain about long traveling times and how they want instant travel anywhere ? Look at most new games small zoned areas ,full of monsters ,with instant traveling and you'll see the chances for big open worlds in future mmos are quite small(archeage is not an answer for people who want pve only or faction vs faction pvp).

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    but isnt levels the enemy of exploration?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I think mmorpg needs it's own "Slow Movement"

For this to be viable, a long-term mmorpg with stable community is a financial requirement. Currently why bother making a world when the community peaks and spikes and moves on to the next "world".

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    In before Narius
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Torgrim

I have always loved to explore the games I have played during the years, even if there is nothing really to find but if the vista was nice I was happy with it.

One game that comes to mind is Dark and Light that had a huge world to explore with weather effects and seasons but sadly that game whent down the tube pretty fast.

So my question is this would you like to explore a MMO gameworld that is not zoned, none instance, huge world pretty much like this shot?

The wait could be over by the end of this year.

Doesn't my forum name ring a bell?

SnailGames are currently running with their hybrid title called Age Of Wushu which has other different  names in the west.

The thing is that SnailGames will tell you that Age Of Wushu is not their flagship sandbox type MMO that goes to a game that has strong ties to the very game you mention.

Savage Horizons Bloodlines is will be their flagship MMO in the west and it's a sandbox MMO that will be the biggest MMO ever made.

This game is not Dark&Light remade it's a whole new game with a new engine and new cities racres and towns it has nothing to do with the mess that was Dark&Ligfht other than it was SnailGames that promoted the game in China.

THIS IS NOT DARK&LIGHT OR THE EARLY SAVAGE HORIZINS

THIS IS SAVAGE HORIZONS BLOODLINE A TOTALLY REMADE MMO.

Things are started to move along nicely now.

Check out all the updates on Savage Horizons Bloodlines here, the last one was Jan 13th 2013.

Read all the information on this page, we are talking an epic MMO. 

http://www.mmoculture.com/?s=Savage+Horizon&x=19&y=26

A sneak vid from 2010, i wonder waht it looks like now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12xsh4DP4h0

Continue

Away from Savage Horizons Bloodlines you should also read up on ChangYou's Project S

http://www.mmoculture.com/2012/12/project-s-changyou-teases-its-own-sandbox-mmorpg/

http://www.changyou.com/en/index.shtml

EQNext better be good because it has some serious competition from Asia. The thing is that if you look at some of these games they look very western and not like the Teras and other MMO's from Asia.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

SnailGames are currently running with their hybrid title called Age Of Wushu which has other different  names in the west.

The thing is that SnailGames will tell you that Age Of Wushu is not their flagship sandbox type MMO that goes to a game that has strong ties to the very game you mention.

Savage Horizons Bloodlines is will be their flagship MMO in the west and it's a sandbox MMO that will be the biggest MMO ever made.

This game is not Dark&Light remade it's a whole new game with a new engine and new cities racres and towns it has nothing to do with the mess that was Dark&Ligfht other than it was SnailGames that promoted the game in China.

Check out all the updates on Savage Horizons Bloodlines here, the last one was Jan 13th 2013.

Continue

Away from Savage Horizons Bloodlines you should also read up on ChangYou's Project S

http://www.mmoculture.com/2012/12/project-s-changyou-teases-its-own-sandbox-mmorpg/

EQNext better be good because it has some serious competition from Asia. The thing is that if you look at some of these games they look very western and not like the Teras and other MMO's from Asia.

are you allowed to do this?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Continue

Allowed to do what?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

As far as MMOs go, I think ArcheAge is something you should look forward to. 

Originally posted by Vrika

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

As far as MMOs go, I think ArcheAge is something you should look forward to. 

1. he is actually talking about MMO's so no point even mentioning TES.

2. he also mentions non istanced, ArcheAge has instances.

Vanguad fits the bill.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

MMOs need to go 64 bit and crank up the minimum RAM requirements instead of catering to mass market playing on office laptops from 2005.

DX12, 64Bit, 16GB RAM minimum specs and you'll have your realistic seamless world.

Maybe 2014-15

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Allowed to do what?

I think MMOExposed means such a post is more suited to the Rumour Forum. If you could have actually dissected the relevant info of the aforementioned upcoming mmorpg to address the OP's question, then that would have been a welcome self-starter? I'm guess this is called 'good form' or forum! ;)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Unfortunately you are looking at old games Like daoc, ac and eq1 if you want that kind of exploration.

Modern mmos just have so small worlds with all the mobs crammed in so its "action action action", they lack "breathing space"
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

I think mmorpg needs it's own "Slow Movement"

For this to be viable, a long-term mmorpg with stable community is a financial requirement. Currently why bother making a world when the community peaks and spikes and moves on to the next "world".

Its a self fulfilling prophecy.  I assume, since developers believe that community will move on after it peaks they dont feel the need to invest in making it larger/stable thus pushing away the same community they think never exists

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I appreiciate this thread, I for one miss open world too. Yeah like someone comment on archeage im hoping for the best for this game.
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Allowed to do what?

I think MMOExposed means such a post is more suited to the Rumour Forum. If you could have actually dissected the relevant info of the aforementioned upcoming mmorpg to address the OP's question, then that would have been a welcome self-starter? I'm guess this is called 'good form' or forum! ;)

Ah.image

Originally posted by Etherignis
    I appreiciate this thread, I for one miss open world too. Yeah like someone comment on archeage im hoping for the best for this game.

Vanguard is an open world and is actually more open than ArcheAge. You do know that ArcheAge has instanced dungeons as well.

Vanguard has no instances at all.

No need to keep misssing open worlds Vanguard is F2P

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    @SavageHorizon i will check out VG.
    Originally posted by Etherignis

Vanguard is an open world and is actually more open than ArcheAge. You do know that ArcheAge has instanced dungeons as well.

Vanguard has no instances at all.

No need to keep misssing open worlds Vanguard is F2P

Let me boot up Vanguard again.  I have three low level characters as I was trying to find my way.  I love the underlying mechanics of Vanguard but its execution is something less desired.  From the music, to the aesthetics to the random bugs that pop up just breaks immersion for me.

Admittedly I havent played in a minute and I know they actually released NEW content so I'll give it another go.  But agree it was the best thing for MMORPG since EQ1 (something I'm hoping they advance in EQNext... Its our only hope) ;-)

yes ArcheAge is istanced but its pretty and answers many of my concerns from ArcheAge.   Age has hurt Vanguard over the years. 

What I would want is an up-to-date Vanguard.  With high-graphics. All the recent bells and whistles. Etc.