Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too late to start playing WoW?

ZethapetaZethapeta Member UncommonPosts: 28

I was thinking of buying the lastest expansions of Warcraft, I played the game till lvl 45 when it was released some years ago.

But before downloading the 40GB, I would like to hear your opinions about some points

- What can you do in the game, besides doing quests (specially at max level)?

- How long does it take to level to 90 a character?

- I played in a PvP server, and fighting against the ocasional player that you could find was something I rember gratefully, however, I have read some complains in PvP realms beacuse of cross servers.

Thank you for your opinions!

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Zethapeta
    I was thinking of buying the lastest expansions of Warcraft, I played the game till lvl 45 when it was released some years ago.

But before downloading the 40GB, I would like to hear your opinions about some points

- I played in a PvP server, and fighting against the ocasional player that you could find was something I rember gratefully, however, I have read some complains in PvP realms beacuse of cross servers.

Same things you would do in vanila, Quest, Raid, Pvp.

Not very long at all, a matter of days, Hours even if your so inclined.

World pvp is practically dead.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298

I would say that it is too late in the sense that you have missed the best days (vanilla and TBC).  

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Not at all. Game is better and more indepth, then ever. And you wont have to deal with many annoying things we had during vanilla. 

Things to do are too numerous to list. WoW is among the most features heavy MMOs atm

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

If you play a healer or tank, you should be able to experience most of the low-level dungeons using the queue system.  Leveling will go fast, and you will probably miss a lot of the questing content if you do a lot of dungeons.  

When you get to the level cap, the goal becomes to do dungoens to obtain better gear so you can do the next dungeon.  There are factions to grind reputation by doing repeatable daily quests, but most of those are made pointless after you have obtained your first set of end-game dungeon gear.  

I felt like the game was too accessible and guilds were pointless.  As a result, the community had turned into an every-man-for-himself attitude.  Items might drop for your primary role (tank) but the DPS would win it for their secondary role.  It didn't matter too much because you could simply queue again and get the item next time around.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Just do it. It will keep your attention for a long time. There is nothing else out that will do the same. Its smoother and better put together than any of the crap that was shoved out last year. But dont make a panda guy. They just look like Jenny Craig rejects.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

You can PVP, do dungeons, raids, daily quests, minipet battles, etc.

It goes rather fast... like week or two with casual play

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Nitth

Same things you would do in vanila, Quest, Raid, Pvp.

Not very long at all, a matter of days, Hours even if your so inclined.

World pvp is practically dead.

Pretty sure there weren't pet battles, among many other things, in vanilla.

Hours? Riiiiight...

I don't PvP (or, at the moment, even play, despite having an active account) in WoW, but I'm told by those that do that World PvP is anything but dead.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Sure, if you like theme park MMORPGs and don't need the best graphics to enjoy a game, go ahead. WoW got still a lot to offer. How many races? 8? 10? Same number of starting zones? Tons of content to explore.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

I've played since vanilla off and on. I can honestly say the latest expansion is hands down one of the best things going in the industry right now.

Lots of fun content, very engrossing world zones and a fairly cool story line. With some additional settings you can perform and the work Blizzard have done, the game actually looks quite respectable still.

I have a few friends who just started brand new and they're loving it. Check out the 10 day free trial and see what you think. Try to give it at least a few hour chance though because so many people hate on games having never really even checked them out.

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    It's never too late really. Lots of people who create alts so there's lots of stuff at lower levels. Just find a good guild and have fun. Only downside is that if you're not a healer or tank, or running with either of these, your queue time are really long
  • LurkersLurkers Member Posts: 20
    Depends what you mean by it's to late if you mean content wise nah not at all the only painful part is mop is really not alt friendly at all but the content is plenty at lvl90 BUT! there so much stuff to do at lvl90 you won't miss playing alts at all i only been playing 1 char so i made sure it was my fav one for me atleast my shaman it will still take you a good while it all depends how much 5ime you put into it you can get to lvl90 in less then one month with nonstop playing lvl1 to 90 good luck!And welcome TO THE KING BABY!
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

There are far more things to do in-game these days than when it first went live, however it has also become alot easier to reach max lvl in a very short amount of time if you stay focused, personally speaking as a cusual player it took me 2 weeks to go from a baby panda to lvl 90.

A word of warning though, there are quite a few low pop servers, I'm currently on Dragonmaw EU server and it's a low pop server, so make sure you look around for a more populated server, it does affect the Auction House quite alot.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Not at max level yet so cant tell you.  But from what I read/seen you do dailies. Scenarios. Dungeons. and Raids.  You can also do stuff like Pet Battles. Max out your professions. And Archeology.  Depends on what your into.

I started playing in September 2012 for the first time with MoP.   Today I am level 63.  I put in about 2-3 hours per day at night after work and my son is asleep.

Cant speak to PvP as I dont do that either - or havent tried yet.

But all in all its never too late to start as long as you enjoy the path to get to max level.  I am not one to rush and do it as fast as possible.  I rather take my time and learn the game mechanics and lore.

Though dated still a fun experience.  Enjoying so far hope you do the same.

Originally posted by Mdpats
    It's never too late really. Lots of people who create alts so there's lots of stuff at lower levels. Just find a good guild and have fun. Only downside is that if you're not a healer or tank, or running with either of these, your queue time are really long

Im a DPS Arms warrior. I can pop a dungeon in about 5-10 minutes.   Since you can quest or do something else while you wait time really wasn't an issue for me.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I tried.I found: I didn't like the game and more importantly.....it seemed everyone in the game was level 80 !

I found they had dumbed down progression soooo much I was flying through levels.I came to the conclusion  that the game really doesn't even start till you are 80.....and start grinding.

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I tried.I found: I didn't like the game and more importantly.....it seemed everyone in the game was level 80 !

I found they had dumbed down progression soooo much I was flying through levels.I came to the conclusion  that the game really doesn't even start till you are 80.....and start grinding.

You could have stopped at you didnt like the game.

I dont believe the progression was dumbed down -- it was streamlined (i.e. - made more efficient).  You no longer have to run back and revisit a trainer.  You dont have to wait for a group to do a dungeon and actually can still quest while you wait for a queue to pop.   In terms of the skills everyone always goes to the Internet and read what the best build is so they just offered those options.  Now its easier to change the 'type' of character you want to play.

What you do at level 1 is completely different from what you do at level 60.  As you progress they introduce more aspects of the game so you are not overwhelmed. 

The game starts when you have fun and that is end game for you I understand, but for me it started at level 1.

And by the way grinding is the core of all MMOs (regardless of how well it is hidden).  

But understand this game isnt for you.  Hope you find something you like.

• GXRrangerGXRranger Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Do it until Wildstar comes out.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by moguy2
    Just do it. It will keep your attention for a long time. There is nothing else out that will do the same. Its smoother and better put together than any of the crap that was shoved out last year.

I think this is the best advise you will get. There is plenty to do in WoW. You will eventually get bored with reputation grinds and dungeon runs, but you will definitely get your money's worth by then.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

If you've never played past level 45, it is worth checking out. They built a huge world.  Max level is like any other MMO: grind, grind, grind.    I would say to buy it, take your time leveling up so you can enjoy it.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Still a good game. I see no reason not to play it. plenty to do and i'm sure getting a dungeons group is still easy.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

oh my... very much trash told here again.

This is how it is:

To level up (as a newbie) you still need some time (from1-90). I would say as a regular player, without twinks that give you money/gear, 1-2 month.

Questing you will be playing mostly alone, while with the dungeon finder you will find a group at every level with max waiting time of 10 min. (Tank, healer instant)

PvP you can do in Battlegrounds and you also get a huge amount of exp from it, so you can lvl with PvP . Battlegrounds open also at every level with waiting time of 5 - 15 min.

Open world PvP is still huge couse of the x-realms. But since it doest not give the players much exp/honor, most just do it for fun.

The prices in AH are high, but you can use this for your advantage if you collect ore/herbs/lether and sell them. Best thing do get rich as a newbie.

So yes, its not too late , you can start anytime.

• LurkersLurkers Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Oh well sorry to break it to you but your going to find it very fast alot of the new mmos are pretty much all wow clones maybe you should stick to normal games then MMOS aren't for you then i just speak the truth.

• ZethapetaZethapeta Member UncommonPosts: 28

Thank you for your opinions.

I had my character in Illidan server, not sure if it is populated or empty nowadays. It was a warlock, and actually I enjoyed that class, however, if tanks access instantly to queues, maybe it is a better option (healers are not my type)

Anyways, is it worth starting a new character, or those 45 levels would take me a long time? Since I havent played in a long time (really long... years), I was thinking that starting from level 1 could be a good choice.

And, what are the advantages of those scrolls of resurrection people are posting in these forums?

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    I just started a new character about 2 months ago and I'm almost ot lvl 80. I can't play much these day but with cross realm zones there is tons of people in every zone and world PvP everyday, its fast to get dungeons groups at any level also. Really, the reason why WoW always has so many people is that you can always catch up. Some people hate that there is a gear reset at each expansion but thats why you can start any time. It's a game with so much content its crazy, it runs great and there are always people. 

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• ZethapetaZethapeta Member UncommonPosts: 28
    When you talk about world PvP, do you mean PvP servers, or any kind of PvP in PvE servers?