Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Schoeneck93

Promised to kill WoW? 

Absolutely NONE of the developers claimed it would kill WoW. This is just the COMMUNITY, and people like yourself who claimed Guild Wars 2 would kill WoW. Or more so, people like youreslf who read posts from the community who say its going to kill WoW then hold it against a bunch of silly teenagers, like they actually know what their talking about. They were excited for something that's been up and coming to GW fans for quite some time. That's all that was.

Aside from that, TONS of people still play, they are coming out with new content as we speak, and changing how things are done. They have been talking about a new WvW map. These sorts of things. I'll go back to check it out for sure. But, I have some serious game ADD, its hard for me to play ANY game for long. Guild Wars was an exception, but Guild Wars 2 is just in the prime of my game ADD so I can't seem to manage to play it for long at any time. 

Truly though, it's a good game. A very SOLID game. I think the devs did a fuckin' amazing job on that game. And what game ISN'T HYPED at first? That's the point of advertising. To get people excited, and ready for a launch. Ya know. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hyping a game up. 

I refuse to believe that you've nevre hyped anything up to be better than it actually is to friends or something, simply because YOU are excited about it. 

Given that "KIll WOW" is just a metaphor for "beating WOW", I hereby refer you to the dev and his claim that you said didn't exist: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/.

No it isn't. If GW2 were to become #1 and WoW #2 (in active players) WoW would still be far from dead. I may want to beat the competition in a race, but I don't want them dead.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MalacthMalacth LiverpoolPosts: 116Member
    Originally posted by Celcius
    No one claims that games will "kill WoW"; these are just things people like to say when backing up an ill formed argument about a game not meeting their expectations. I personally think WoW is complete garbage and so is MoP, but hey thats my opinion. Fact is that the game is earning ArenaNet and NC Soft hand over fist and they have sold over 3million copies already, making it the fastest selling MMO to date. Take that for what you will, but I don't really see how anyone with any sense can deny the success of GW2. 

Actually Mike O'Brien (ArenaNet Founder) sorta said he believed GW2 was a WoW killer.

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

Also GW2 might be the fastest selling MMO to date, when not including WoW and any of its expansions.

I love GW2, but please, lets get our information right.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Schoeneck93

Promised to kill WoW? 

Absolutely NONE of the developers claimed it would kill WoW. This is just the COMMUNITY, and people like yourself who claimed Guild Wars 2 would kill WoW. Or more so, people like youreslf who read posts from the community who say its going to kill WoW then hold it against a bunch of silly teenagers, like they actually know what their talking about. They were excited for something that's been up and coming to GW fans for quite some time. That's all that was.

Aside from that, TONS of people still play, they are coming out with new content as we speak, and changing how things are done. They have been talking about a new WvW map. These sorts of things. I'll go back to check it out for sure. But, I have some serious game ADD, its hard for me to play ANY game for long. Guild Wars was an exception, but Guild Wars 2 is just in the prime of my game ADD so I can't seem to manage to play it for long at any time. 

Truly though, it's a good game. A very SOLID game. I think the devs did a fuckin' amazing job on that game. And what game ISN'T HYPED at first? That's the point of advertising. To get people excited, and ready for a launch. Ya know. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hyping a game up. 

I refuse to believe that you've nevre hyped anything up to be better than it actually is to friends or something, simply because YOU are excited about it. 

Given that "KIll WOW" is just a metaphor for "beating WOW", I hereby refer you to the dev and his claim that you said didn't exist: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/.

No it isn't. If GW2 were to become #1 and WoW #2 (in active players) WoW would still be far from dead. I may want to beat the competition in a race, but I don't want them dead.

So we disagree about what the metaphor "Kill WoW" stands for. 

• mikahrmikahr ZagrebPosts: 1,066Member

Kill WoW would stand for making a game to which most of WoW players would go to leving WoW dead. Hence "kill".

Beat WoW would just mean you beat him in whatever benchmark you decided, for example "sell more copies than WoW" which he actually mentioned as exmaple for GW1.

Originally posted by mikahr

Kill WoW would stand for making a game to which most of WoW players would go to leving WoW dead. Hence "kill".

Beat WoW would just mean you beat him in whatever benchmark you decided, for example "sell more copies than WoW" which he actually mentioned as exmaple for GW1.

A metaphor combined with a hyperbole would allow "Kill WoW" to mean that WoW either gets dethroned or loses a significant amount of players. I suppose one would have to ask the persons who used the phrase "Kill WoW" and ask them what they actually meant. 

It fits nicely with the idea that noone remember the runner-ups in the Olympics, only the winners.

A metaphor combined with a hyperbole would allow "Kill WoW" to mean that WoW either gets dethroned or loses a significant amount of players. I suppose one would have to ask the persons who used the phrase "Kill WoW" and ask them what they actually meant. 

It fits nicely with the idea that noone remember the runner-ups in the Olympics, only the winners.

Except i havent seen them say they want to "kill WoW" anywhere and thats completely fabricated by certain part of the community to bring some not very bright point across.

You can say that SWTOR killed SWG, but again, not because its better/more successful game but because of coorporate decisions, so its yet another type of "kill".

Except i havent seen them say they want to "kill WoW" anywhere and thats completely fabricated by certain part of the community to bring some not very bright point across.

You can say that SWTOR killed SWG, but again, not because its better/more successful game but because of coorporate decisions, so its yet another type of "kill".

If the person stating that Arenanet was aiming to kill WoW used "kill WoW" as a hyperbole and metaphor for dethroning WoW, then yes the article linked earier shows that  a dev have done a "dethroning" statement. 

• LeetheLeethe WarringtonPosts: 889Member Uncommon
    Arenanet never said they would kill woW. They said they wanted to please their fans. Anyone still carrying on about a wowkiller is and IDIOT. Or just trying to cause trouble. I wasn't hyped at 1st and I'm still playing along with Defiance, Firefall, Borderlands and Champions Online. People on the forum need to get out of the playground and realize that measuring contests went out of style years ago.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• QuesaQuesa Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,246Member
    I found GW2 ended up distilling down to the same MMO Themepark formula.  It was fun for a time but got old quick.
  • rawfoxrawfox HamburgPosts: 647Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by fs23otm

GW2 is still the best MMO on the market... and will remain that way until possibly ESO. 

Not everyone is sharing that opinion.

And thats ok, we dont like all the same stuff.

I for my, are pretty tiered about horse raiding sword swinging second hand phantasies with all these puffy blurry stuff inside.

Its a matter of taste ^^

• MightyChasmMightyChasm londonPosts: 298Member
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Arenanet never said they would kill woW. They said they wanted to please their fans. Anyone still carrying on about a wowkiller is and IDIOT. Or just trying to cause trouble. I wasn't hyped at 1st and I'm still playing along with Defiance, Firefall, Borderlands and Champions Online. People on the forum need to get out of the playground and realize that measuring contests went out of style years ago.

No they didn't.  There is a chart for just about every entertainment form out there, and there are literally hundreds of programmes/ channels showing those charts watched by millions of viewers.  I haven't seen many tv's in playgrounds.  

• LeetheLeethe WarringtonPosts: 889Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

No they didn't.  There is a chart for just about every entertainment form out there, and there are literally hundreds of programmes/ channels showing those charts watched by millions of viewers.  I haven't seen many tv's in playgrounds.  

You have proved my point better than I ever could have.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm londonPosts: 298Member
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

You have proved my point better than I ever could have.

You don't have a response so you just make some vague, meaningless comment that is somehow supposed to elevate your argument above mine?  These forums are moronic sometimes.  

• gopegope plovdivPosts: 40Member
    o believe me wow is nothing now because of Guild Wars 2.

If the person stating that Arenanet was aiming to kill WoW used "kill WoW" as a hyperbole and metaphor for dethroning WoW, then yes the article linked earier shows that  a dev have done a "dethroning" statement. 

Ah, but people using the "kill WoW" phrase dont use it as anything else but its raw meaning, therefore if GW2 sells 3m and WoW sells 2,7m thats a failure because WoW didnt sell 0, and not everyone stopped playing WoW, therefore GW2 didnt kill WoW and then continue to put words in other peoples mouth about killing WoW.

Thats what i ment about "not too bright point" if you didnt catch the hint and thats exactly what they are doing. Somehow GW2 selling 3m copies is "bad" but at the same time WoW sold less (numbers we actually have now until we get new numbers).

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Brooklyn, NYPosts: 1,164Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Another useless thread... "I came on the GW2 forum to tell everybody that I think WoW is better than GW2".

Keep up the good job, you're getting the attention you are craving for.

+fucking 1

@Jean-Luc - LOVE the avatar.  Right on spot ;-)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon

I bought GW2 because I thought it would have world class group vs group conflict. I was willing to settle for server vs server .What I found is the developers idea of WvW was a 2 week 24/7 pvp match with endless repetative zergs and points used to determine the "winner" of two weeks of mind numbing repetition( then doing it all over like it never happened).

Was the game over hyped? It's in the eye of the beholder.

The game today...good pve....simply awful WvW in my opinion.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I still enjoy it and log in once a week or 2. Might hold me until a sandbox gets made.

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by rawfox
    Originally posted by fs23otm

GW2 is still the best MMO on the market... and will remain that way until possibly ESO. 

Not everyone is sharing that opinion.

And thats ok, we dont like all the same stuff.

I for my, are pretty tiered about horse raiding sword swinging second hand phantasies with all these puffy blurry stuff inside.

Its a matter of taste ^^

That's true... I don't think ESO will be better either.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Comcast8888Comcast8888 Elgin, ILPosts: 10Member
    GW2 is a good game with no competition but we all know its going to die when Elder Scrolls and Archeage come out later this year. 
  • TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member
    Originally posted by Comcast8888
    GW2 is a good game with no competition but we all know its going to die when Elder Scrolls and Archeage come out later this year. 

We do?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

I feel disturbance in the force and hear thousand voices crying when ESO launches.

Archeage is not really competition to GW2.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Huntsville, ALPosts: 1,365Member Uncommon

I feel disturbance in the force and hear thousand voices crying when ESO launches.

Archeage is not really competition to GW2.

Are we arguing about whether Archeage is a GW2 killer or not?

This could be interpreted as proof against the OP.

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Are we arguing about whether Archeage is a GW2 killer or not?

This could be interpreted as proof against the OP.

Its pretty much different type of a game.

• simmihisimmihi -Posts: 615Member Uncommon

I dont know how the game was at start, did not plan to play it as i did not have time at that point. I'm playing it now, for about three weeks. For me, the game is like this:

I've managed to bring a character to 80. Due to the "non-stats-oriented" nature of the game, i expected that the people playing the game to play it for fun. Unfortunately, all i see is "CoF speed runs" and "fractals level xx". Yes, i am in a guild, who describes itself as a "social, non-elitist". I've been rejected for all runs because i'm not the "right" class or the "right" spec. I've tried to look for other guilds, found only "semi-hardcore" - my bet is the casuals left the game already. I'm logging in, doing the PvE daily (unfortunately i cannot complete monthly, as it needs instances) and logging off. In 3 hours of play i manage to earn about 1 gold, while the "speed runners" earn about 20-30.

Dunno, maybe it's just my server, but the whole thing is a big letdown for me as it is now. I feel the game was worth it for the fun i've had during leveling (bought it at half price) and that it has potential - I love the outdoors stuff, unfortunately nothing "good" comes from outdoors, all the incentives are in the instances. I actually did not like the instances i've been in (two of them), maybe it was because i was expected (read: yelled at) to skip cutscenes and to skip mobs to run from boss to boss. I am not interested in doing another instance again. I'm not a gear freak, i'm not interested in legendaries, i've just expected a game where people play "for fun"... farming the 3 dragons with another 2-3 other people and multiple deaths gets old with time. Tried WvW, did not like it, i admit i did not put enough time into it, as the runs i've been in were a mess, no leadership, no tactics. Maybe i'll put some more time in WvW and roll a few alts, i still like the game overall and have hope for it.