Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's The Point?

Comments

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Rider071
    Originally posted by Warley

Even though most of us haven't played it we've still played it.  Let's be honest, folks, there won't be anything new or different here.  It's the same game done already over the years with a new name.  Plus, the root/base of this game comes from the same blockbuster, massive hits such as Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Here's what is going to happen.  People are going to play it and like it for the first few days.  Then, after they feel it's the game for them, defended it to no end on forums, and feel its going to be the next big thing that newness will start to wear off.  They'll be too afraid to admit it by now, since they battled for it so hard, but they'll be to that point that they realize it's the same old game wrapped in a different package.

Send a message to the game industry, "We're tired of the same crappy formulaic game design." DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

Here's where you lose alot of your steam, you're trying to lay this IP on the dev. The IP is stronger than the dev. It's the first time the actual IP is being used in an MMO. As someone important once said 'This is a big F-in deal.'

Someone mentioned DDO, but DDO is a seperately written universe (Eberron) with it's own rulesets, it actually was never true to D+D and didn't have to be.

This game is said to be true to the rules, which is a huge undertaking, by any dev. Cryptic and PWE have chosen to do it (some cred may go to Atari, not sure how much of their stuff is still left in it).

So regardless of the dev, it's an IP I and many others have loved longer than any game, scratch that, it is the reason we play MMORPGs in the first place, the core being. So yes, I'm going to hope for the best, but I'm not going to hype it. It has enough pressure on it just trying to assume the mantle of Neverwinter in the Forgotten Realms campaign world. The expectaions are very black and white, on paper to be exact.

So no, this game has never been done before, it's been copied, bastardized, abused, and comepletely misinterpreted and called 'fantasy', but it has never been done before. This is Dungeons and Dragons we are talking about, the real deal. Where do you think all those roleplayer servers come from anyways?

Oh, and as many others have said...it's Free to Play. What money are you giving them again to play this game?

Hmm..From what I can tell DDO is far more "true" to the IP than this game.

Don't know why you can say that Turbine didnt have to be true to the ruleset just because their setting takes place in Ebereon, ? It's another world and/or lore, but the rules is mostly the same,

As Cryptic, Turbine made their game more action oriented wich in turn left them with rules that didn't work well with the game, but from what I can tell DDO is far better adopted and closer to the Pen and Paper version of Dungeons and Dragons than this action diablo fest of a game called Neverwinter.

Well..the 4.0 rules isn't exactly the rules everyone that plays D&D uses , they either still use the 3.5 ruleset or have converted to Pathfinder, so you may be right, Cryptic may be closer to the rules , but most D6D players would argue with you that D&D with 4.0 isn't really D&D at all

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by nilden

I didn't say wotc couldn't commison another NWN. I didn't say that Neverwinter was Neverwinter Nights even though they have the entire setting in common it's obvious they are different games. I also never mention any IP rights.

I did say.. I would have prefered a Neverwinter Nights 3 not made by Cryptic. I would rather that this was NWN 3 coming out than D&D: Neverwinter.

Some reaons why would include:

Modding and module design plus player made servers/persitant worlds were great in NWN 2 but in NWN 2 you could only host a server with a static ip. The foundry while being a great feature along the lines of mission architect in City of Heroes will be much more limited than a stand alone NWN toolkit. I would much rather pay box price and own the game. You really don't need an MMO for group based adventuring just solid multiplayer support and letting players build and host their own servers. NWN 2 came out in 2006 and it would be a great time to update the engine and graphics etc in a third installment along with having all the classes and races expanding on NWN 1 and 2.

You said exactly what I have been thinking about while following this title. I would so love another great sRPG or non massively multiplayer RPG along the lines of NWN, BG, Torment. I am back to playing BG2 and even though the game has some flaws it is still so much better than 99% of what has been on offer in the past decade or so.

NWN2 was a really good game and one of the best for providing tons of customization choices to players. It is in my view the closest to being a PnP style campaign and for that I really laud Obsidian despite the awful camera controls and UI.

We could get continuously improved versions of Forgotten Realms games or heck any D&D or AD&D scenario, so why don't we ? This is something I have really been wondering about.

I would love to have a true MMORPG set in Faerun, I would be estatic, but of course to me that would mean a sandbox style game with dungeons in it and GMs running events.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Money? It's free to play. And I happen to have a group of friends that can't wait for this game to be released so we can make Foundry missions for each other, and play those that other users will make and post publically.

We get it, you've just decided to troll this game because you're butthurt that it won't be a super loyal representation of Pen and Paper. Too bad. Deal with it. We'll be here having some fun if you wanna join us some time.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by thark

The expectaions are very black and white, on paper to be exact.

Those two statements are why this game is going to struggle heavily. Forgotten Realms, while popular, is not seen the same way by different people. Despite the statement that the expectations are black and white, they aren't; people will expect this game to not only be Forgotten Realms, but the Forgotten Realms they personally want and have been looking for in an MMO. That's a tall order for a game that has so much backlog of lore, locations, NPCs, and individual experiences and biases that may or may not match up precisely with official lore. The fact that it's 4E rather 3.5 should help it be a little truer to the rules than DDO ended up being, but lore wise, DDO devs had it easy; they had a blank slate, while Cryptic is going to be forced to wade through literally decades of lore, NPCs, and other material just to please the hyper rabid fanbase that views Forgotten Realms as the all end all of settings. I just don't see it working out as well as everyone is saying it will, unless the foundry system proves significantly more robust than similar attempts in the past; too many conflicting views, opinions, and pressure to create the "perfect" Forgotten Realms experience for any dev to have a serious chance of making a successful MMO of this setting without a lot of support from a steady base of mature modders.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Money? It's free to play. And I happen to have a group of friends that can't wait for this game to be released so we can make Foundry missions for each other, and play those that other users will make and post publically.

We get it, you've just decided to troll this game because you're butthurt that it won't be a super loyal representation of Pen and Paper. Too bad. Deal with it. We'll be here having some fun if you wanna join us some time.

Yes, its free to play, but if they follow their rules for the use of the Foundry as they did in STO, you will have to pay (Real money or Zen.) for each mission/adventure you make.

I believe they'll tie it in with Zen, just like the rest of their games. Buy a set amount which can be used on any game they provide. That way people can jump around to different games but only have to buy once.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by TheOctagon
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Yes, its free to play, but if they follow their rules for the use of the Foundry as they did in STO, you will have to pay (Real money or Zen.) for each mission/adventure you make.

I believe they'll tie it in with Zen, just like the rest of their games. Buy a set amount which can be used on any game they provide. That way people can jump around to different games but only have to buy once.

There's some kinda cash shop style money called Astral Diamonds. As I know this was the currency that you could buy in STO?

I think PW are gonna lighten up their model a bit but i'm still expecting a pretty heavy handed approach.

Glad to hear the game is OK from a f2p standpoint - bout all I was ever expecting. It would have been nice for NWO to be my "next" MMO but looks more like the game i'll play for a little while waiting for the actual next MMO.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by paulytheb

I'm still trying to figure out how it is different from DDO.

So far, it sounds like, not much.

Neverwinter is your themepark MMO with a D&D skin, DDO still has the core D&D traits that make D&D loved even though they had to do some deviations.  After following Neverwinter since it's announcement and a staunch supporter and DDO hater I've come to the conclusion that DDO is the better D&D game at least for me who likes class building and core D&D characteristic traits and not an MMO bastardization of D&D.

If Turbine ever does a reboot of DDO like ANet did then I would say they would have a serious contender on their hands.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by thark

Even though most of us haven't played it we've still played it.  Let's be honest, folks, there won't be anything new or different here.  It's the same game done already over the years with a new name.  Plus, the root/base of this game comes from the same blockbuster, massive hits such as Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Here's what is going to happen.  People are going to play it and like it for the first few days.  Then, after they feel it's the game for them, defended it to no end on forums, and feel its going to be the next big thing that newness will start to wear off.  They'll be too afraid to admit it by now, since they battled for it so hard, but they'll be to that point that they realize it's the same old game wrapped in a different package.

Send a message to the game industry, "We're tired of the same crappy formulaic game design." DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

Here's where you lose alot of your steam, you're trying to lay this IP on the dev. The IP is stronger than the dev. It's the first time the actual IP is being used in an MMO. As someone important once said 'This is a big F-in deal.'

Someone mentioned DDO, but DDO is a seperately written universe (Eberron) with it's own rulesets, it actually was never true to D+D and didn't have to be.

This game is said to be true to the rules, which is a huge undertaking, by any dev. Cryptic and PWE have chosen to do it (some cred may go to Atari, not sure how much of their stuff is still left in it).

So regardless of the dev, it's an IP I and many others have loved longer than any game, scratch that, it is the reason we play MMORPGs in the first place, the core being. So yes, I'm going to hope for the best, but I'm not going to hype it. It has enough pressure on it just trying to assume the mantle of Neverwinter in the Forgotten Realms campaign world. The expectaions are very black and white, on paper to be exact.

So no, this game has never been done before, it's been copied, bastardized, abused, and comepletely misinterpreted and called 'fantasy', but it has never been done before. This is Dungeons and Dragons we are talking about, the real deal. Where do you think all those roleplayer servers come from anyways?

Oh, and as many others have said...it's Free to Play. What money are you giving them again to play this game?

Don't know why you can say that Turbine didnt have to be true to the ruleset just because their setting takes place in Ebereon, ? It's another world and/or lore, but the rules is mostly the same,

As Cryptic, Turbine made their game more action oriented wich in turn left them with rules that didn't work well with the game, but from what I can tell DDO is far better adopted and closer to the Pen and Paper version of Dungeons and Dragons than this action diablo fest of a game called Neverwinter.

Well..the 4.0 rules isn't exactly the rules everyone that plays D&D uses , they either still use the 3.5 ruleset or have converted to Pathfinder, so you may be right, Cryptic may be closer to the rules , but most D6D players would argue with you that D&D with 4.0 isn't really D&D at all

image  I just wish DDO would get a reboot, if anything Neverwinter will show how much people will cater to a D&D title to check it out and hopefully that might lay the groundwork for a DDO Next title.  That or they wait for 5e then develope the game.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

Some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO was with the Ryzom Ring, creating a scenario, publishing it, and being the DM and watching people play it.  If the Foundry lets me do that, I will definitely play with it.

But not if it costs much money; I don't feel like paying the company so that I can create free content for the company.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

By your reckoning, Forgotten Realms is not 'true' D&D either. Greyhawk is. FR was, after all, a seperatly written universe with it's own rulesets.

DDO, from what I see of NW so far, captures far more of the D&D PnP 'spirit' then the generic MMORPG design that NW clings to seems to.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Vesavius

By your reckoning, Forgotten Realms is not 'true' D&D either. Greyhawk is. FR was, after all, a seperatly written universe with it's own rulesets.

DDO, from what I see of NW so far, captures far more of the D&D PnP 'spirit' then the generic MMORPG design that NW clings to seems to.

I agree :)

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

The point is not doing 'something different'. The point is doing something right.

Most games which tried to do something different crashed or had really short lives. And nothing exists now which can be called different for everything has been done once before. Everythng has already been tried at least once (usually more).

Here they are concentrating on things to do them right - hence the reason for delay. They are not getting influenced by tropes of 'this game should be X' but have their own vision and picking up elements which fit in their vision. The intrduction of rooting even when they can do without it is a point in study.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by MurlockDance
    Originally posted by nilden

I didn't say wotc couldn't commison another NWN. I didn't say that Neverwinter was Neverwinter Nights even though they have the entire setting in common it's obvious they are different games. I also never mention any IP rights.

I did say.. I would have prefered a Neverwinter Nights 3 not made by Cryptic. I would rather that this was NWN 3 coming out than D&D: Neverwinter.

Some reaons why would include:

Modding and module design plus player made servers/persitant worlds were great in NWN 2 but in NWN 2 you could only host a server with a static ip. The foundry while being a great feature along the lines of mission architect in City of Heroes will be much more limited than a stand alone NWN toolkit. I would much rather pay box price and own the game. You really don't need an MMO for group based adventuring just solid multiplayer support and letting players build and host their own servers. NWN 2 came out in 2006 and it would be a great time to update the engine and graphics etc in a third installment along with having all the classes and races expanding on NWN 1 and 2.

You said exactly what I have been thinking about while following this title. I would so love another great sRPG or non massively multiplayer RPG along the lines of NWN, BG, Torment

They are coming.... Divintiy Original Sin and Project Enternity to name a couple. DOS I'm looking forward to the most.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The guy who made Planescape has started working with those guys doing the wasteland kickstarter, been a few articles on the web on the spiritual successor to Planescape, they plan a simmilar story and themes to Planescape, but its not using d&d mechanics its using a wasteland / fallout type system.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by gillrmn

The point is not doing 'something different'. The point is doing something right.

Most games which tried to do something different crashed or had really short lives. And nothing exists now which can be called different for everything has been done once before. Everythng has already been tried at least once (usually more).

Here they are concentrating on things to do them right - hence the reason for delay. They are not getting influenced by tropes of 'this game should be X' but have their own vision and picking up elements which fit in their vision. The intrduction of rooting even when they can do without it is a point in study.

Please stop while you have a modium of respectablity. This is Cryptic you are talking about. Anyone with any past experience knows this is the furthest thing from what they do or attempt. If you doubt that just visit STO, or any other game they've developed.  A Leopard does not change it's spots. 

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    I'm just waiting for the moment when our mmopgs have just 1 skill in quickbar and trained monkeys playing with pc gamers to populate the servers. Looks like it won't take long anymore.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Please stop while you have a modium of respectablity. This is Cryptic you are talking about. Anyone with any past experience knows this is the furthest thing from what they do or attempt. If you doubt that just visit STO, or any other game they've developed.  A Leopard does not change it's spots. 

This of cource would be the same Cryptic that made City of Heroes a game that just had a massive online protest over the game being shut down 10 years after release beacuse it was still making money...so, guess maybe you should stop while you have a modium of respectability, if any are still giving it to you at all.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• insaner666insaner666 Member Posts: 18

F2P Fucked SWTOR, with the cartel market and its greedy items.

Theres Too Many restrictions, and an ex-subscriber cant stand them.

I Hope people dont waste money on games that treats the player like this (even if some do deserve to be sucked of money XD)

Why i care?, honestly because it affects me in the future... People will cause this model to be a succes and then it will be a norm, things we got in the past for free we will have to pay and we will not even notice their schemes.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by jtcgs

This of cource would be the same Cryptic that made City of Heroes a game that just had a massive online protest over the game being shut down 10 years after release beacuse it was still making money...so, guess maybe you should stop while you have a modium of respectability, if any are still giving it to you at all.

That incarnation of Cryptic left when CoX was sold to NC Soft. NC Soft retained most of the staff of Cryptic for CoX . Of course it matters little that their last 2 offerring are such smashing successes, which we know they weren't. Hey , 1/3 success rate I guess that's what passes for acceptable. If this were a school semester , it would rank as failure. Granted in Business not everything can be a success, but when the formula you use has failed in 2/3 attempts that should a warning sign. But hey it was Cryptic that shut down CoX . One should reconsider before casting that stone.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by azzamasin

God its going to be fun to actually play a themepark (THE BESTEST GENRE OF MMO's) and never run out of content because the game is setup first and formost as a dungeon adventurers ultimate game.  Neverwnding content thanks to the Foundry UGC.  No longer will I play an MMO and grow bored of it in 2 months because the developers cant keep up with content demand. 

Optimism. I like it! This site always needs more of it.

I also love Aerowyn's quote - "But how can you possibly have fun without spending 18 hours a day for 10 years in a deep, meaningful game?!?" *paraphrased*

I love it.

MMO's are supposed to be fun. If the game is fun, I'll play it. If the game is really fun and I want to invest in my character a bit, I'll spend some money.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

They are coming.... Divintiy Original Sin and Project Enternity to name a couple. DOS I'm looking forward to the most.

Ooo thanks ! I will definitely keep track of those games. Is Divinity Original Sin based on Divine Divinity by any chance ?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

I don't know what you mean by "modium of respectablility" but I still stand by my statement for it is true.

I am not defending the cryptic in any way - I hate their marketing team. I believe especially the suits from PWE are a bunch of liars and have reason to believe that community moderators are told to lie in forums to form opinions. Although I do not have any proof but I have a big reason to believe that they are systematically supressing opinions and have a large say in who gets keys in so-called contests which are not fair.

But that is in no way related to the game. the game is still execellent. The development team has a vision. Their product is still good. Yes they have an evil parasite of liars attached to it - but thankfully they have no say in game development - which has so far been execellent. And for all their faults, even the marketing team is doing fine in minting the money from their product.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Punk999
    To have fun is my point hopefully.

You sir, deserve a cookie!

I think people get too caught up in what features a game has.  For me, there's only ONE question that really matters...Am I having fun?

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

"What's the point?"

If you take this to the maximum, you can ask this question about life itself. Whats the point?

I propose that we have no idea of the true context of life, we have no idea what the "point" is, or even if there IS a point at all. Does it really matter if you raise hamsters, skydive, or play MMO's?

To me, at least for MMO's, the point is to have fun, and my vision of fun is:

- learning new things, how to do things in a new, better way

- seeing new things, new territory, exploring

- crafting a character, in order to see new things, explore, etc. Trying out various builds and approaches to the game

Almost any well-done game can provide this, especially "virtual worlds" that are wide open.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

So lets say you're a DM and you want to create a campaign for your players.  Your players pick their classes and the DM designs a series of encounters and dungeons for the players to go through.

The players get together and they jump into the game and ABSOLUTELY FRICKIN' LOVE IT.

The DM thinks, "This is awesome.  I wish other people could see the work I've put in."

Wouldn't it be great if there was a new game that could let you do that?

Boy I wish Neverwinter could do that.  Oh wait...it can.  

You can turn DnD night into Neverwinter night and still have that experience of adventuring with your friends.  And it's free.

That's the point.