Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do the founder packs hurt you?

Comments

• If you lie to me, I hurt you. If you only tell me half the truth, that counts as a lie. If you tell me the truth, that also counts as a lie, and then I hurt you.
  • DigitallyEndowedDigitallyEndowed Member Posts: 125

It's definitely worth it in my opinion.

People whom are "against" the founders pack like to trivialise it and list only one or two of it's features, but in reality you are paying for:

* MENZOBERRANZAN RENEGADE and all attached features

* ARMORED SPIDER MOUNT

* PANTHER COMPANION

* GOLD MOONSTONE MASK REGALIA SET

* VIP GAME ACCESS - Priority log-in access

* FOUNDER'S ARMOR AURA

* FOUNDER'S TITLE

* SMALL BAG OF HOLDING

* DUNGEON MASTER UNLOCK

* DELZOUN TREASURE BOX

* MOONSTONE REGULAR

* ADVENTURER'S HELPER PACK

* 1 RESPEC TOKEN

* GREYCLOAK'S LEGACY

* ROBE OF USELESS ITEMS

* 750,000 ASTRAL DIAMONDS

* 3 EXTRA CHARACTER SLOTS

Now, do these features offer a value of $199.99? (also note that the apparent value of the pack is $549.) Who knows, however it is common sense to expect to pay a premium. It's really down to personal taste as to whether or not that premium makes the difference.

Some people seem to miss the fact that this is the very exclusive top-tier option and is priced as such; it is not intended for or aimed at the general consumer. The "Guardian of Neverwinter" pack fulfils that role.

Edit:

Forgot to include - 

· GUARANTEED ACCESS TO ALL THREE BETA WEEKENDS

· FIVE DAYS EARLY ACCESS

· WEEKEND BETA KEY FOR A FRIEND

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

We are talking about luxury extras here, not basics that everyone needs access to (fruit) which will be affected by normal economics likke supply and demand etc.

A better analagy is a cinema that allows people to go in free, but to cover the cost of allow all those people going in free they are offerering leather seats at the back with services.  Now we have people going in to the cinema and watching the latest films for free but whining loudly that its not fair that they cant get services.  I would say for god sake enjoy the film you are getting for free and stoip looking over your shoulder at what other people have.

Spot on. What they are offering is incentives for people to invest early in the game. It's not just those items that you are getting, you are also getting in-game currency to spend later, along with the listed exclusive items for founder packs, which accounts for the value of the packs.

The game is 100% playable for free, yet theres all the self entitled whinging going on that people who pay get premium services. Well duh. How do you think F2P games are going to work? If there is nothing to buy, they make no money, and there is no game. People on here need to stop being so incredibly dumb.

Personally I would have prefered a B2P model so all these cheapskates who have no intention of spending any money at all can just bugger off.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Im a  fan of drizzt, and would love the panther for that reason, but 199.99 is too much for me.  Well so what game is free to play for me, its just one of those things I cant afford - no reason to cry like a spoiled brat.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Elfahiar

I already paid $60 for games that lasted 6-7 hours or less.

I can pay a pack for a game I'm gonna play 200+ hours, no problem.

Each to his own, I guess...

Exactly.  How come there isn't outrage from ALL the games people have pre-ordered and got to play beta?

Because you had to buy the game it's okay, but if the game is free it's not?  Wut?

i would also remind people that the beta is just a perk.  There's other stuff in it too.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

It's the same greedy tactic such as how DLC's are becoming out of control. "People are paying for it, so why not".

Pixels.

Servers cost millions to run, simply dont buy it while you get that free access to those servers.  People are confusing the bad end of the DLC market where you have to buy or the gameplay is impaired with speculative DLC that is intended for those that can afford it (to support all us other players that are playing that game for free)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Originally posted by Heretique

It's the same greedy tactic such as how DLC's are becoming out of control. "People are paying for it, so why not".

Pixels.

You know what happens when cost of something pushes past what the market will bare?

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by azzamasin

OMG you do realize every single MMO for the last 8+ years has offered some sort of early release incentive right?

I said it to you before and I'll say it again. Double check your facts. Every single? More like barely any over the past 4 years. Maybe Guild Wars 2 was your first MMO? The game didn't charge $200 bucks to access the game 3 days early, all you had to do was pre-order the game. Anyone can shout out a random MMO name and it most likely wouldn't have a early release incentive. Add to that, that we're talking about a F2P game. How many of those had early releases if you pay? Maybe 2 at most out of a sea of F2P's?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

200 bucks for founder pack is a luxury not necessity. Buying a 10 dollar watch so that you can see the time (basic fucntion) when you can not afford to buy a 10 grand watch. Do you go around on the street shouting on top of your lungs that companies which make expensive watches are just low life scums?

People with disposable income do not mind when it comes to spending on luxury. And 200 bucks for a founder pack is just that..a luxury. So many cry babies and sore thumbs here.

I swear no one does drama and judgemental attitude better than MMO gamers.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101
    I won't be shelling out $200 for Neverwinter, because I have no interest in the game.  But I have paid $200 for games in the past, I will do so again, for me it is a matter of perspective.  That same $200 gets me two good nights out down here in Miami with friends, maybe three nights if we're really taking it easy.  Paying the same amount for a game that will give me months of entertainment seems like a no brainer.  Would I like it if they charged less?  Sure.  But the value is still on the positive side for me.  Of course we each have our personal limits and opinions on what is too much to charge for a video game.
  • XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105

It's the same greedy tactic such as DLC

How?

Most DLC these days are stuff already on disc.

Can't compare to a "free to play" where you're ONLY buying the bits you want...

Originally posted by Betakodo

OMG you do realize every single MMO for the last 8+ years has offered some sort of early release incentive right?

I said it to you before and I'll say it again. Double check your facts. Every single? More like barely any over the past 4 years. Maybe Guild Wars 2 was your first MMO? The game didn't charge $200 bucks to access the game 3 days early, all you had to do was pre-order the game. Anyone can shout out a random MMO name and it most likely wouldn't have a early release incentive. Add to that, that we're talking about a F2P game. How many of those had early releases if you pay? Maybe 2 at most out of a sea of F2P's?

It's 5 days access for $200 and you get more than beta and early access.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Pixels.

OK, feel free to develop updates for us and give them to us for free. I'm sure your time is worth nothing.

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by Betakodo

I said it to you before and I'll say it again. Double check your facts. Every single? More like barely any over the past 4 years. Maybe Guild Wars 2 was your first MMO? The game didn't charge $200 bucks to access the game 3 days early, all you had to do was pre-order the game.

Hey, I'll use your own words : "Double check your facts." yourself;

Neverwinter didn't charge $200 bucks to access the game 3 days early.

It's the "Guardian" pack you are talking about, which costs $59, and it's not just offering an headstart, there's much more to it.

OMG: so you see...$59...Just like Guild Wars back in the day!

Have a good day, Sir!

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

5days early access, all beta weekends plus friend invite. and a unique playable race... for 200 bucks sounds a tad rip-offish. 

unless everything in a founders pack can be purchesed later or accessed ingame after "grinding". the founder pack is a tad insane for my tastes.

while nothing provided in the either 3 of the founders shows it self to be overly p2w or OPing..  if the drow class and other pet/mounts/perks can not be purchesed later on or gained ingame... then they would be a tad unfair to other people who dont have the means to afford 200+ usd for a pack.  i my self would not pay 200 bucks for half of that stuff. but thats just me, while i agree a game should be allowed to make money to support it self, as the packs are being valued by the company selling them.. they could claim the pack is worth 1000usd and charge you 500 usd for it :/ 

most of these "DLC" packs games are putting out now.. would have been given out as free download content in the early 2000s..so in case of being "hurt" it hurts furture game titles as people buy up these over priced "DLC" packs that really arent worth half of what is being charged for.. 

It's too expensive for me, but thats life, sometimes I cannot afford stuff.  If it was a fundemental part of the game then this would be manipulative but its not.  Whats happened here is that the wealthy end of the player spectrum has been targetted, and many feel left out, its almost a class thing :P

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

Lets put it simple.

Giving any amount of money for the game that is going to be f2p is re*****d.

I would understand that game is b2p so eventualy you ll have to buy it if you wanna play. I understand that some ppl whave lot of money and dont care like someone on the 1st page of this post explained perfectly but in general it is bad for the community in whole.

30% of ppl who bought it are fans of D&D or NWN or whatever and 70% are hype kids with "Timmy got it so Sally need to have it too"  attitude. Insted of all goodies in that $200 they should put WIN MAcro for all classes so the kids will even consider understanding the game.

Now let say that that packs are awesome and it is a good thing, lets look of all the junk you got:

Mount and Pet = ok that is fine ppl like to have that kind of things

Rest = junk you ll never use

1 Coin for respec = This is something you will realy need and you get only 1 !!!!

If ppl think that that race, mount and pet will be exclusive.... i don`t think so. When cash shop hits live it will be all aveable to other ppl.

And to ask the OP question, how does that hurt you?

• geremadygeremady Member UncommonPosts: 73

It is a game.

I would much prefer everyone to be on equal footing - even if this is not P2W.

Just give everybody the same chance at stuff.

How would you feel if you are playing chess and you put down your wooden chesspieces and your opponent puts down ivory ones? Not very much fun even if it doesnt change the game.

On me these practices have the opposite effect: I will not spend a penny on the game out of principle even tho I can afford it. Their loss?

GW2 is the same: you feel that the economy is manipulated in a way to oh so gently push you to the cash shop.

I just didnt buy anything. (and I wouldnt begrudge them a subscription or something else; I would probably pay it)

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Let's just dive right in to paid beta, cash shops, and microtransactions. Let's all be real and call a pre-purchace for beta what it is. The only way I would be cool with a cash shop is if EVERYTHING in it was availibe via in-game means as well. If you want to sell xp boots and other time saving things that would aid more casual people go nuts. If I see some awesome flaming cloak or mount on the cash shop there has to be a way to get it from playing the actual game.

Sadly all these greedy, lazy, companies want is to sell you a 25$ sparkle pony and have everyone clicking in anticipation.

A better question would be how is the founders pack helping the game?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Personally I think its too expensive, but then again im not the market they are targetting.  RE GW2 thats actually very different,  I would buy in the cash shop to support the game, but there is nothing to buy lol!  2 extreme ends of the spectrum.

Originally posted by nilden

Let's just dive right in to paid beta, cash shops, and microtransactions. Let's all be real and call a pre-purchace for beta what it is. The only way I would be cool with a cash shop is if EVERYTHING in it was availibe via in-game means as well. If you want to sell xp boots and other time saving things that would aid more casual people go nuts. If I see some awesome flaming cloak or mount on the cash shop there has to be a way to get it from playing the actual game.

Sadly all these greedy, lazy, companies want is to sell you a 25$ sparkle pony and have everyone clicking in anticipation.

lol its helping fund the servers. Answer the OP question, how does it hurt YOU?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Originally posted by nilden

lol its helping fund the servers. Answer the OP question, how does it hurt YOU?

So it's taking away possible quests and grouping content in order to give them more money.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

stamps feet and demands what that other little boy has.

Not getting something you cant afford is not taking something away from you.    Do you walk into a shop and feel outraged because you can only afford the 50" TV, and not the 50 inch tv with backlights?  ofc not.