Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

D&D survived alot it will survive this.

2»

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,050Member Uncommon

3.5 was a great system. But it was also slow and overly complicated (especially combat)

4 was supposedly attempt of making it simpler. But it was instead influenced by simplified computer games. Probably aimed in making D&D computer game aswell - but that never happened.

I gues they lost half of regular playerbase

And than they dropped the bomb with yet another edition comming ... so the players they didnt lose , they will lose now.

But D&D will never disappear as idea - doesnt mather which ruleset you are playing

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

But D&D will never disappear as idea - doesnt mather which ruleset you are playing

exactly.  IP will never die.  But Pathfinder most certainly captilized on the misstep big time.

Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

exactly.  IP will never die.  But Pathfinder most certainly captilized on the misstep big time.

Agreed.

Today its like: "Lets play D&D , wait I am bringing my Pathfinder books"

• ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member
    I think WotC must have a rule that they will allow the IP to be used, as long as the product could in no way resemble actual PnP play.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Tarzana, CAPosts: 1,220Member

Gah this just makes me want to run 4th edition again! 4ed is by far my favorite edition. I started out with 3.0, played a ton of 3.5 and actively play Pathfinder for the past 2-3 years. Oh and I've dabbled in 2nd as a kid.

The problem I'm having is that my current group are a bunch of 3.5/pathfinder snobs and will never even attempt to try out 4th. So I'm pretty much stuck playing Pathfinder with them, and my 4th edition group dissolved due to life circumstances.

Anyways, if I had a point to make with all of that above (?) it is that I never understood the hate 4th edition recieves. Roleplay does not suffer at all, if anything it is liberated from clunky mechanics. Combat is tactical, and flows rather evenly throughout the levels ( a massive problem with 3.5 and Pathfinder ). And a lot of character builds aren't as pigeon holed into being "optimal". The best part of the edition is that it is so much faster to prep and DM for it. Frees me up to actually develop the story, and encounters instead of number crunching for hours.

Originally posted by VirgoThree
    And a lot of character builds aren't as pigeon holed into being "optimal".

This is exactly the problem. In 3.5 you can build whatever you imagine. In 4 you are almost constrained to MMO like classes.

But I agree , combat is faster

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How was any version forced on you? I can still play any edition I want, you people are so dramatic. More editions is just more options.

Yup, my local store still uses 2.5 edition, IMO it was the best edition overall.   As a company though, a comapny that needs to make a profit then every so often they need to redo their systems to make that $$$.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

2»