Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice to those bored of GW2, try TERA!!!

khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

I stopped playing GW2 after halloween event, the game gets boring once the "new game feel" wears off. It was not what i thought it would be at all. 

I started up TERA which is 100% free this week and everything about it feels better than my 1st week in GW2. Graphics are much, much better, the best Ive seen overall in any MMO.

The combat is pure action combat, no tab, aim everything, time dodges, blocks and really is very fun.

The world is alive so many people joined up, erach map is full of players on every server in the huge, beautiful open world.

No point to go on and on, just thought you all shoudl know its worth trying and is a better game than GW2.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I tried Tera up to 33, and just couldn't play anymore cause of the boring quest system. The combat was nothing I haven't already played on a console, and was only fun on slayer for a bit to me. I still enjoy GW2 but it's not my main MMO, I like to go to it when these new events start up. Tera does have beautiful asthetics and runs well cause Unreal 3 is a very smooth engine.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I'm torn between these 2 games myself.  Graphically they are both great looking games. I will admit that TERA has better combat especially in dungeons, but the world is very static in comparison to. GW2. Community wise GW2 does t feel to have one. While TERA does. It's full of rude vulgar players who think because they use vulgarity they are cool or something.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Tried TERA again now that it went F2P. Still can't bear the utterly boring quests and the extremely Asian art style.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I stopped playing GW2 when TSW went B2P.   I had subscribed for 4 months, came to GW2, and went back.   I highly recommend it and the game is sometimes on sale.  

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

TSW doesn't interest me in the least. 
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Just another static, dead, eventless world from what I hear. Don't they still use those archaic npc types with the quest bang over their heads? So twenty years ago.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Just another static, dead, eventless world from what I hear. Don't they still use those archaic npc types with the quest bang over their heads? So twenty years ago.

i was going to flame you so so hard, but i stopped, took a breath, and calmed down. mainly cause at first i thought you were bashing tera because of its quest system in general but then saw you said the quest ! over npc heads to which i'd have to agree, i like gw2s take on questing alot better than tera's old go here, now go here, now there, now there style.(though gw2 is the same when put like that)

with that being said, to you and others that share your opinion. i truly pity you if such a feature has such great impact on your decision of liking/enjoying the game as a whole. because im sure that point of view bleeds over into other areas of your life and you're missing out on a great many things you'd otherwise enjoy due to it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Tried TERA again now that it went F2P. Still can't bear the utterly boring quests and the extremely Asian art style.

the extremely asian art style and the  high quality graphics are what keep me playing Tera now as F2P. I cant stand the boring quests either but the horrible (but hilarious) global chat helps relieve the pain of the quest grind.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Tera need some serious exp buff potions available on the Cash market.

PvP'ers need a way to get  to the end game level quickly.

PvP in tera is fantastic.  I think everyone should try it.

I know I shy away from people with glowing question marks hovering over their heads whe. I see them in real life.
    Originally posted by khameleon

I stopped playing GW2 after halloween event, the game gets boring once the "new game feel" wears off. It was not what i thought it would be at all. 

I started up TERA which is 100% free this week and everything about it feels better than my 1st week in GW2. Graphics are much, much better, the best Ive seen overall in any MMO.

The combat is pure action combat, no tab, aim everything, time dodges, blocks and really is very fun.

The world is alive so many people joined up, erach map is full of players on every server in the huge, beautiful open world.

No point to go on and on, just thought you all shoudl know its worth trying and is a better game than GW2.

hey there, its great that you are having fun in TERA. ITs ok if you didnt like GW2 enough. That doesnt mean Tera is better than GW2 or viceversa. Both are fun, but here we go again.... its not pure action combat... you want pure action combat? go play bayonetta / dmc / god of war.

Obviously your trolling GW2. Why not say in your title Advice to anyone bored of other mmos?, why specifically bored of GW2? Im playing both and i have fun in both in different ways.

But hey, its your opinion and i dont agree with it but doesnt mean is true either. Have fun without trolling.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Maephisto

I think a lot of MMOs would be much more successful if they did away with most of the levels...

TERA is one of those MMOs. It's combat starts off clunky, slow and boring, as does the questing and the mobs are easy...thats people first and last impression usually, but the game is certainly a lot better than that.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by Volkon

i was going to flame you so so hard, but i stopped, took a breath, and calmed down. mainly cause at first i thought you were bashing tera because of its quest system in general but then saw you said the quest ! over npc heads to which i'd have to agree, i like gw2s take on questing alot better than tera's old go here, now go here, now there, now there style.(though gw2 is the same when put like that)

with that being said, to you and others that share your opinion. i truly pity you if such a feature has such great impact on your decision of liking/enjoying the game as a whole. because im sure that point of view bleeds over into other areas of your life and you're missing out on a great many things you'd otherwise enjoy due to it.

Somewhere in here I'm sure you were trying to make a point... but I have to admit, I missed it. Yes, it's true that the dynamic event system is a huge part of me liking GW2. It gives the world a more organic, living feeling that no archaic quest-bang model ever could. I also love the combat. To me it flows like none other. The lack of a trinity based role system has allowed for eight professions that all play completely differently allowing anyone to find their niche. For me, primarily it's the mesmer... the style works so well for me personally and it's a blast using clones and phantasms to confuse the heck out of other people in WvW. 

Knowing how dead the world of Tera is (again in the static content sense) and knowing there's a trinity based combat system, regardless of the fluff, really turns me off from even trying the game. I've tanked or dps'd for far too long. Much better for me a system that requires the right skills at the right time instead of the right rotation (WoW reference, don't know about Tera). 

I have to adnit... I thought this thread was going to be along the lines of "For those bored with GW2, try Tera... then you'll see what boring really is!"  I  was surprised that it wasn't that type of thread. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Maephisto

I think a lot of MMOs would be much more successful if they did away with most of the levels...

TERA is one of those MMOs. It's combat starts off clunky, slow and boring, as does the questing and the mobs are easy...thats people first and last impression usually, but the game is certainly a lot better than that.

I kind of agree with you Pivot. While Teras combat is not my cup of tea, i can live with it. The boring quest grind is the big problem with it. Boring grind through levels. No memorable quest lines. They exist just to give you exp and items, nothing else.

Tera could work a lot better with dynamic progression.

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

I suggest you to play eve online... it's kinda different from the usual. It has a good community too and it's a complex game... you MUST read everything for understand and success in the missions.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I am an avid GW2 player.   I play GW2 for the pvp.  Gw2 pvp is competitive and satisfying.  When I believe I have mastered a class, someone comes along and provides me with a real challenge.  It makes me think critically of myself and makes me consider how I can perform better.

Tera has the same qualities.  The difference is Tera requires a long, laborious, slog though PvE content.  This grind is required in order to get to the high end, highly competitive, area of the game.

Through crafting, and personal quests, I can level a new character relatively quickly.  Far quicker than the investment of time necessary to be equally competitive in Tera.  Admittedly, I still have to PvE in GW2 more than I would like, in order to reach end game competition.

This is where GW2 trumps Tera.   IMO.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

if you are bored in gw2, youll be bored in any game.

and: tera is the most boring of them all ^^

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by lathaan

if you are bored in gw2, youll be bored in any game.

and: tera is the most boring of them all ^

You're right, that's probably why TERA has held my attention for 9 months and GW2 only lasted a month and a half.

Don't get me wrong, GW2 is a good game, but it's like Call of Duty, there's nothing to work towards, so you play now and then because you're bored then eventually you never play again.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Eh... I can say yes but also no. Now, being blunt, I am definently more in favor of Tera over GW2. The problem is GW2 if your really into the game, chances are the combat isn't a huge deal for you or even prefered over Tera. Tera is a much more skill based combat system and flows smoother, sacrificing key spamming in favor of having move lock (granted it can be canceled in ways) which really complicates combat a lot. I love it personally as It does make skill stand out a lot more and it promotes combat that provides you advantages while giving disadvantages that can be capitalized on. Its just not something all to many people like as they rather spam keys to do good, something GW2 really has little penalty on doing, just dodge and go about your business.

GW2 was boring... but honestly even though I found the game lack luster Tera just wasn't all that great for keeping attention too. The questing is a bit 'meh' and can get dule quickly. While combat and progression is a lot better in the game, the questing just pulls it down and can make it dule quickly, particularly if your not playing with friends.

Simply put: Tera combat might alienate players who are use to the very simplistic combat in GW2. The whole 'consenquences' with using abilities can put people off and they might prefer GW2 which doesn't really penalize players much for spamming. If your the type about great combat, by far I highly recomend Tera, it does an amazing job with combat that is more in line with what GW2 should of been (or at least in a smoother fashion like Tera), if the combat in GW2 doesn't bother you and your into the way the quests and all are set up in GW2, then Tera might not be for you. Either way, give Tera a try and see for yourself, it is free after all.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by tarodin

I suggest you to play eve online... it's kinda different from the usual. It has a good community too and it's a complex game... you MUST read everything for understand and success in the missions.

I never really got why people thing eve takes skill. "Who has the bigger guns" seems to be the biggest factor in everything. It doesn't really have very much in terms of skill at all. Planning? Yes, to a degree that can be considered quite in depth, primarily focusing on team play but skill playing? Sorry I just can't agree with that at all.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

Personally for me GW2 was the biggest disappointment of any MMO I have played.  I know tons of people love it and that is great but I became bored with quicker(much quicker) then any other MMO i have tried.  For Tera, I do love the gameplay I think the skills and combat system are awesome and unique and really fun.  However I feel they really dropped the ball in the some key areas that have kept me from playing it.

Obviously as many have said the quest system is very blah, however what makes this several times worse is the lack of alternatives to leveling.  There were no warzones at all for a long time and no warzones at all until max level(which is pretty much a deal breaker for me).

For me MMO's are really at a stale dead point until someone comes out with a world that is ultra customizable and shaped by the community(Eve is the closest thing so far) and until then just kind of the same old thing.  Good game to try but if you are looking a MMO that is different the only thing you will find here is the combat system.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't find every game in the past 10 years quests systems painfully familiar. I don't see any system anymore boring then the others because they are all the same rehashed crap. GW2 quest system innovative? That's a laugh.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I played both games and quit both games.  I reached max levels in both games as well.

Tera's combat is a lot funner TO ME, GW2 combat was just sloppy TO ME.  Make sure you see that I said to me, as in my opinion, as in what I think for myself.  Not as in you all should feel the same way, or I am right and you are wrong.

The pvp in gw2 makes me tear my hair out its such a mess of dodge roll spam and aoe ass fisting.  Drive me absolutely insane.  And the massive zergfest kills it for me too.

Pvp in tera pisses me off too but usually because some of the classes are super duper op with the amount of stuns and knockbacks and at the time I played complete lack of DR.

The PVE in both games is terrible too.  This notion of "dynamic events" gw2 has is a joke.  The same with Rift's and WAR's dynamic events.  There is nothing dynamic about them.  It is just the same scripted little events that happen like clockwork over and over from the games launch to the games death.  Nothing will change, everything is still the same, it is a facade.

They always hype the events up like it will actually forever alter the game world if a certain action is taken during these events.  When in reality it will end and the world will restart back to the way it was. Also the doing away with ! quest givers and the age old kill 10 rats still exists too with a new coat of pain as a heart.   Majority of the hearts are kill shit non stop till this bar fills up, which in traditional mmo design would of been some guy with the ! over his head asking you to do the exact same thing.  Now you just have to run into a general area of a zone.

I expected to much from gw2, and that's my own fault.  But anyone who tries to defend it as a complete reinvention of the genre is deluding themselves.  The only real original thing they did was remove the holy trinity aspect, and to me it seems as if they did it just for the sake of saying it makes them different.  The classes themselves mixed with how dungeons/group content/pvp works makes the gameplay come off as an afterthought.

And Tera isn't much better either.  It's PVE is literally the worst thing I can remember doing in an mmo EVER.  I've played a lot of a mmo's in my day and a few being from the asian market.  But this one took the cake on brain meltingly boring and tedious.   I would play Tera again if I could level quickly from just pvp and could completely ignore the fact the game has PVE in it at all.  Also to mention, Tera's endgame gearing is complete shit.  I loathe the asian end game, get gear then spend shit tons of money and resources to "attempt" to upgrade the stats to reach its +12 ultra stats to then be able to go into a harder dungeon to get a slight upgrade to have to spend the exact same amount or more resources to upgrade that one to +12.  Which they then sell stupid items in their cash shops to give you a better % of not failing at the upgrade or to keep the weapon from breaking (Vindictus).

So both games have a lot of issues.

Don't want to read?

Bullet Points:

- GW2 isn't as revolutionary as most people who are obsessed with it let on.

- Tera isn't as amazing as a lot of people let on as well.

-  Bored of either? Try the other! Why does anyone give a shit what others want to spend time on.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't get why a heart on a map is innovative and a ! over someones head is boring and old school. Or the fact that the actual number you need to kill is hiden from you and replaced with a heart that fills up.....

Is that really all it took to impress some of you people ?

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Tera is less fun at lvl 35-40, when it starts to get really grindy and dungeons and quests are all the same. lvl 60 is max, so trying to get there on my 43 Slayer.

This discussion has been closed.