Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Which format have you spent the most money on?

TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
This isn't which do you think is best, but literally which have you spent the most money on?

Comments

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    This isn't which do you think is best, but literally which have you spent the most money on?

F2P is fairly new to me so I would have to say P2P. However, I think I spend more often on F2P games and given the same time with F2P as I have had with P2P I think F2P will take a bit more from me. I am not disgruntled though, I enjoy supporting games that I think are making it worth while. Lately that has been Path of Exile, APB: Reloaded, and I sunk a little into Lord of the Rings Online a few months ago.

It has probably been a year and a half of F2P games for me and everything before that was P2P. I enjoy F2P more than I do P2P because I feel like I have more of a say about what goes into the game. F2P games, in my experience, react quickly to their consumers.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Money is not really a concern for me, and I have a bad habit of paying a subscription for a game I support, but may not play all the time.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• QuaidenQuaiden Member Posts: 19

I am going to have to say, none and all of the above at the same time.

I would like to call it beta-format. I have dropped the most money on games before they come out hoping they are going to be awesome. Then I get into beta and they are fun until I realize they are exactly like the last 10 games I played with just a different skin, or theme, or what not.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

P2P and I'm glad it's dying.

I haven't paid since 2010 and will never pay again unless they make an MMO with godlike open world PvP.

edit: To be more precise:

Since I started playing MMOs 12 years ago: P2P

in the last 5 years: B2P

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by olepi
    Money is not really a concern for me, and I have a bad habit of paying a subscription for a game I support, but may not play all the time.

I knew someone in college who kept their WoW subscription on for a year while not playing and it was monthly. This was the same guy who borrowed money from me a few times inbetween checks. I have always wandered how many subscriptions for WoW are inactive players.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Easily P2P games. I spent years playing EQ plus other types not discussed that I donated towards server costs. Not that I haven't played any F2P games, I've tried a ton. I just never stick around long enough to feel like spending any money because the majority aren't good enough to. Recently I've spent more on B2P games, although there really aren't many MMOs out there with that format.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

This poll is kind of pointless.  It's sqewed toward one buisness model.  FTP is just as sucessful a billing model as P2P or B2P.  But in FTP, your average gamer pays little to nothing, and then 10% of the people gaming pay insane ammounts of money.  This is why many FTP games are P2win.  Because those 10% of the people are in actuallity paying for the rest of the free players to play at all.

Where as P2P, everyone pays a flat fee per month.  But you don't get that 10% of the player base paying hunderds of dollars a month that support the other players.  This is why most P2P games are not condusive to P2Win mechanics.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    F2P, even though I payed for a subscription to WoW for over a year.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    P2P even games that give a choice like EQ2 I prefer to have total access if I a devoting time to it.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by ragz45

This poll is kind of pointless.  It's sqewed toward one buisness model.  FTP is just as sucessful a billing model as P2P or B2P.  But in FTP, your average gamer pays little to nothing, and then 10% of the people gaming pay insane ammounts of money.  This is why many FTP games are P2win.  Because those 10% of the people are in actuallity paying for the rest of the free players to play at all.

That isn't how f2p is desinged to work. f2p is supost to bring in way more players who will spend small amounts. They make more money because as a sub game the population would be way smaller. Small pop games also run the risk of losing people because there are so few people. When people decide a game is dead fun or not they leave.

f2p is all about volume.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    P2P by far.  At one point I was multiboxing 5 WoW accounts.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

P2P, no doubt about it... I think the only time I spent money on F2P was planetside 2, spent like $20.

I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent on P2P, gotta be a few grand... been playing 'em since about 1999.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    The highest rate I have paid was back in the days of TSN and AOL NWN in which it cost dollars per hour played.  Nothing since has come close to the expensiveness of cost per playtime.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

F2P has had the most of my cash. Probably the equivalent to 1 year and 2 months of sub, but it was shared between various f2p games that i played couple years ago.

Right now the only sub based mmo that in my opinion gives the most bang for the monthly buck is WoW... and im not subbed because i dont like to be commited to a sub unless im playing that game 30 days a month which i wont do. I have too many games i enjoy playing to have to stick to only 1 just because of the sub.

Lately the only cash shop that has been fortunate of tasting my wallet is GW2´s but hey dont have enough cool stuff so i just got 3 bank slots, 2 character slots, couple of keys and the Quaggan backpack.

Swtor got like 20 bucks from me. Not giving them any more money to them because even if i buy tons of cartel coins i still cant be competitive (cant wear high tier gear unless i sub, which i wont) so no matter how much money i give them, ill always suck. No money for you EAware, learn from EnMasse´s model if you want to earn the money and the respect of your players.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    For me it is easily P2P...Not necessarily because I wanted it that way but because at the time there were little or no other options.....From 2000-05 I spent probably clsoe to 1500 on EQ, EQ2, and WoW.....Since 2005 I have probably spent about 100 bucks on f2p games......One of my main arguments against p2p is that it forces you to spend alot of money to play.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    You forgot "P2P with Cash Shop".
  • MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    F2P because if I enjoy a game I don't mind spending my cash on aesthetic fluff.  If it is P2W I run for the hills however. 
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

P2P. The price of the box itself raises the amount I've spent on P2P MMOs significantly enough, so there's no surprise there.

However the amount I've spent on F2P is catching up, slowly but it's catching up. Haven't played for a P2P title since 2010 so, there's that.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Subbed to WoW for 5 years, plus boxes (CEs).

LTS to STO before F2P conversion, plus box (CE).

CE for LotrO before coversion, no sub.

2 months sub to TOR, plus box (CE).

CE for WAR, no sub.

9 months sub to DCUO, plus box (CE).

60$ on STO since F2P.

~200$ on Atlantica Online.  (got kinda crazy with this one, but I had a ton of fun)

30$ on DCUO since F2P.

Winner(?): P2P

Preference: F2P

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    P2P, but thats only because I refuse to pay for microtransactions.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    For me, P2P by a wide margin.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

P2P. Since DAoC I ALWAYS got new and progressive content updates. And I always got a really good community which shares my playtype. P2P just binds me to the game like I want and those games often had pretty difficult systems and formulas - which were pretty cool because you keep yourself busy with the game and your character.

F2P and B2P - both - were pretty cheap ... But I got really disappointened by the community and the repetetive content. Forthermore those are more for casualplayers - Even the class and skill-systems in GuildWars 2 are really, really easy. Its often about "login, have instant fun without preperations, you are free to logout after 30mins"

I play pretty often and long with a guild. I need challange to keep my occupied. I was pretty happy with P2P mmorpgs.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I wasted the most money on lifetime subscriptions.  I'm not strapped for cash, but wish I could have seen the future before investing as much in the games.

Some to mention:  Hellgate London, AoC, TSW (Funcom twice... I know)

Now I'm wishing I had spent the money on LOTRO's lifetime option when they had it.  That game just happens to be the one which fits my interests right now.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    P2P.  Years of WoW will make your wallet lighter.