Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which game(s) have ex-Wow players moved to?

13»

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by ZeGerman
    Originally posted by Mari2k
    I tell you were they are , they grown adult and are playing now with woman and money making instead of time wasting mmos.

Alot of them were grown adults to begin with.  This is a very shallow view of gaming You can still game while having a normal life and making a good deal of money.

For real. If I can work full time go to school full time and play 10+ hours a week, that excuse holds no water.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• altairraltairr Member UncommonPosts: 81

GW2 for sure - pvp/crafting/dungeons/events/World vs World - all better then wow

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by WillyMMORPG

Re: Fantansy games -- I purposely avoided Guild Wars 2. It looked like Tera on steroids and I just couldn't deal with another fantasy game, especially another fantasy game imported from Asia.

You apparently also avoided any information about Guild Wars 2.  The game isn't even a little bit Asian.

Imported from Asia is one of the funniest things i've read about guild wars 2 on these forums.  Guild wars 2 was developed by Arenanet which is based in Bellevue WA. Being owned by NCSoft does not suddenly make them an asian company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArenaNet

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I try to keep in touch with people I knew from WOW, especially guild mates. Here's what I see:

- An overwhelming majority aren't playing MMOs at all. Those who still play any multiplayer games at all are playing stuff like LoL, SC2 or Diablo.

- The very small minority who are still playing MMOs are all over the place. The main games being: Rift, SWTOR, GW2. For a while I thought GW2 would keep quite some of them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

- The only upcoming (this year) game I see these people showing any interest at all in is actually TESO.

WOW brought not only non-MMOers into MMOs, it brought in a good amount of non-gamers as well. That doesn't happen every year.

I just feel most ex-WOWers are bored of MMOs altogether. I don't see them returning to the genre at all, at least not until we get a new, practically unrecognizable breed of MMOs.

I think the only title we know of that could possibly change that would be Titan. Or maybe EQ Next, if it's really, totally different.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

EvE online, in my case. I kept going back and forth, started EvE after my first /wowquit and would alternate, but kept my EvE sub going when MoP released and went right back to it after the first month. One month and one day, actually:(  

I picked up The Secret World at the end of last year and am slowly enjoying my way through the story whenever I need a fix of W,A,S,D movement in a game. 

As far as other games mentioned in the thread like Rift, I trialed it a while back and just kind of felt that I might as well just play WOW. I'm not saying it was just a wow clone and doesn't bring anything new to the table, but the experience was similar enough that I'd stick to the champ if I was going to play that type of game. 

• gizmovisiongizmovision Member UncommonPosts: 16

I moved to Rift, But I'm also active in World of Tanks, and play Orcs Must Die 2!, Borderlands 2, TourchLight 2, and support several new games coming down the pike :

Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Castle Story

Planetary Annihilation - A Next Generation RTS

Project GODUS

Forsaken Fortress - the survival RPG

Wildman: An "Evolutionary" Action RPG That one still isn't funded yet, but the Project Mercury dev tools alone should be worth a few hundred to Moders and game devs alike. Go Gas Powered Games...

I'd come back to WoW if they offered a one year sub at like 69.00 now. I paid Trion 99.00 for a year of time on Rift.

• EarthenwareEarthenware Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the opinions.
  • Cry0Cry0 Member UncommonPosts: 52

From someone who started with EQ my advice would just be to wait and try new games that look interesting as they come out.

When I got tired of EQ i played counter-strike and watched the mmo community.  Picked up Shadowbane when that came out and had fun although it did not have the longevity EQ did.  Then picked up FFXI at some point and played that for a while and had fun.  Then WoW came out and was the official EQ replacement in my life.  Played that for a few years, quit when the first Naxxramas launched.. came back for BC, quit after a while, came back for WOTLK but the game was a lot less interesting by then so quit a few months after that came out.  Thgoughout that WoW cycle I played Lotro and AoC, both fun but both launched without any real end game goals.  Been playing FPS games again waiting for another game.

Basically the way the cycle seems to work is a big game hits (eq) and lasts a good while before another big game hits (WoW). There are enjoyable games that come out in between but also a ton of shitty games - which is why beta testing is fun.

You can go pick up games like vanguard but IIRC that game launched more than a few years ago.  I would honestly go find something else to do until the next hyped game like TESO launches and then give it a try.  Or just mess around in WoW until that happens.  I personally do not enjoy grabbing MMOs that are months or years post release because the experience is not the same as a new game.. everything has been done before and you generally end up playing wth a good amount of people on alts who get to be know it alls since they did everything once before.

-also-

When the real WoW replacement comes it will be obvious.. when WoW launched it was really friging obvious the game was going to be popular and people across the various mmos all were leaving to beta WoW and play it when it came out.  

WoW already has enough players who are 'unhappy' that a good replacement could suck up a large player base.. the problem is the replacement would need a SOE style budget to compete, some indie dev is going to have a bitch of a time making anything good enough to give people that WoW replacement feel.  This is why people have hopes for EQ Next imo.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by kostoslav
    League of Legends

I think people might be surprised at just how true this is.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311

Unfortunately, I am still on WoW but only until my sub runs out in April. Damn blizz was smart offering D3 for free with 1 year of WoW sub, I was dumb for going for it. 

In any case I tried Rift and SWTOR, but they were too much like wow. Rift pushed the whole dynamic changing world to the next level and SWTOR took cinematic questing to the next level. The problem? Each only forcused and pushed the bar on only 1 aspect of what makes a game, a game.

The next "hot thing" in MMOs that wants to capture the WoW player base needs to make sure they push the bar to the next level in every facet and aspect of their game. Needs the cinematic questing of SWTOR with the dynamicness of Rift, raiding, dungeon, LFR etc. of WoW. The stylized yet still hyperrealistic, or should i say HD texture density, graphics of GW2, Aion, and Rift. Action combat along the lines of what i've seen in C9, Tera, etc., where there is no longer the possibility raise dodge % or block % to x amount and have an x amount of chance of inately blocking or dodging. No instead if you want to block or dodge to have to actively be skilled enough to move out of the way or hit a button to raise your shield and actually block.

I have high hopes for TESO, but as of the articles lately am alittle worried they are pushing too much focus into PvP and not keeping a balanced focus into PvE as well. 

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Rift was only fun for a week after launch, and Aion lasted 2. Went back to WoW and sadly, found forums to be more entertaining! I play chess and occupy myself with RL now.
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by Malacth

They either float between MMO's never really sticking at anything for long or go back to WoW, most do the latter. 

WoW might not be as great as it once was, but it's still head and shoulders above most MMO's available right now.

This for me. I come back to WoW every patch for a few weeks until an MMO worth a damn comes along.

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

Plain and simple theres just so many MMOs these days  that there  gamers are spread out. And the community just keeps hoping for the next big thing.

Neverwinter looks pretty decent from the beta

Rift is fun but feels like a ghost town.

gw2- is fun since you would be bringing a guild over.

allods or whatever is pretty simlar to wow or atleast it used to be

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Rukushin

Unfortunately, I am still on WoW but only until my sub runs out in April. Damn blizz was smart offering D3 for free with 1 year of WoW sub, I was dumb for going for it. 

Lmao, same case as me, but my sub rubs out this month, than i'll unsub. Have been trying quite a few mmos but nothing can hold my attention for long. So now im mmo-less :(

RIP Orc Choppa

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Tried about every MMO after WoW and have not been able to get into it. I wonder if the new MMO's are that bad or I really just lost my interest and won't accept it. I have gone back to single player games and emulators have become my best friend.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I'm an ex-wow player. I've been playing wow since vanilla and I stopped somewhere in the first 2 months after I bought cataclysm because I finally saw that it's not what I was hoping it'll be and it showed me the direction of where this game's going towards.

Now I'm playing GW2 casualy, loging in as much as my time allows me and I'm having alot of fun. I'm done with raiding as well because it was just not something I was enjoying anymore after all the years I've been playing them so few dungeon runs and random exploring or just WvWvW at the evening is something that I find to be my cup of tea nowadays but if you're expecting more out of it it's just not there yet and it might become boring if you don't always find carrots on the stick to hunt them.

I've tried TSW but it wasn't really what I was hoping it'd be. RIFT is quite good but it's not where ex-wowers moved to because I got this idea that they all hate RIFT even tho they never tried it, but the game is nothing spectacular. It's a refresment from WOW of course, it has quite good stuff in there, but nothing ground shattering. You might give it a shot?

TERA, even tho it's visually stunning and interesting at first, it gets really boring rapidly fast and it looks like it's made by a bunch of horny teenagers :D

TOR has a really good story line and it really sucks you into that story (if you're an empire character) but everything else is lacking and doesn't really make up for the games sub price in my opinion.

Archage is on the horizon and I'm pretty excited about that game as well, I'm waiting to see what that'll turn out to be. There's also TESO which sounds interesting enough.

So there isn't really a game where you could go and stick with for a long time and alot of my wow guildies just stopped playing mmos for now or they're jumping from few mmos and stuff like that.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Unfortunately, I am still on WoW but only until my sub runs out in April. 

Don't worry, you still have loads of time to practice, and get into shape for your future career on the message boards!

Repeat after me:

QQ community QQ better QQ immersion Ultima

Old days QQ QQ cry QQ sandbox QQ QQ Camelot

Damn QQ Casuals QQQQ EZsauce QQ Galaxy

Dumbed QQ down QQQQ get off QQ Everquest

My lawn damn you damn QQ kids. QQ

Practice that, at least half dozen times a day. You'll be a bittervet in no time!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

I played wow in beta, then after release took a year off and now am back in playing with the same enthusiasm I had at start. There is so much more to do from pet battles to achievements. Don't get me wrong I understand where a lot of people are coming from when they say the game has become boring and to theme park to them. But over all the game is still fun at least for me. I do believe the fun starts when you find a great guild, which I have this time around. We are breaking close to 1000 guildies all who are fun and helpful to play with. Also I can't wait for the next big MMO to come around, maybe it will be The Elder Scrolls Online. Maybe it won't, who knows at this time.

I also found SWTOR never really had the Star Wars feeling like the original SWG did. I still ask myself why Sony let that game become so bad. I also hope Disney create's a Star Wars game that finally gets all the incense of Star Wars. To me that would really rock.

As far as a game that to me really captured the feel of a world is LOTRO. Say what you will about the game it DOES feel like the LOTR's. Some times I feel like they captured the same feeling I got from DAOC. I do wish they could of made a pvp world in it. Or even have found a way to bring RVR into it.

In summary all I can do like many of us here hope Camelot Unchained becomes a great RVR game with all the feel DAOC gave us. We really do need that game which we loved and captured our hearts in so many ways. All I can do is dream it happens before I get much older. :)

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• sertioussertious Member Posts: 29

I'm sure others have the same experience/issue as me.  Everytime I leave WoW I go back to older MMO's I used to play.  FF11 and Ultima Online have been my latest games i've left WoW for. 

FF11 is great, but depending on the server it's just not overly populated.   But went back to WoW because most of my friends play and even my wife plays WoW and I see them have fun so I just get sucked back into it.  Ultima Online was the same experience, lower population and so many years since i played heavily I was lost.  Even with some help from the community I just couldn't hack it anymore.

Other than those 2, every other MMO has elements of WoW in it.  And each time I check out one of those I just figure if i'm gonna play a WoW clone than I might as well just play WoW.  Than of course I think of all the money and time i've sunk into WoW and just keep going back.

So games that ex-WoW players have moved on to?  Nothing permanent from my experience.  They leave, some post those long drawn out "i'm leaving" posts on the forums than they return when they find out nothing original is out there atm.

So best thing I can say is, just stick with WoW.  Need a few days or a week break or whatever from it.  Just play some single player games.  I know right now Ni No Kuni on the PS3 has been my WoW killer since it came out.  But I know when its done and over with my time will be more focused on WoW again.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by birken
    If you want old school try vanguard it is what eq 2 should have been.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Unfortunately, I am still on WoW but only until my sub runs out in April. 

Don't worry, you still have loads of time to practice, and get into shape for your future career on the message boards!

Repeat after me:

QQ community QQ better QQ immersion Ultima

Old days QQ QQ cry QQ sandbox QQ QQ Camelot

Damn QQ Casuals QQQQ EZsauce QQ Galaxy

Dumbed QQ down QQQQ get off QQ Everquest

My lawn damn you damn QQ kids. QQ

Practice that, at least half dozen times a day. You'll be a bittervet in no time!

Sometimes you just hit the nail right on the head

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Ex wow, enjoyed mop levelling but after that it was just a mess. Went to a private tbc server and it's damn fun I got to tell ya, reminds you how good wow was. Gw2 and poe once that releases, schedule full :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• celulascelulas Member Posts: 2

Personaly i've found the other mmo's to be shit and broing.

Since WoW is compleat shit now and every other mmo ever made is now better then WoW at its current status (not better then how it was in TBC and WOTLK). I've started working on my own game.

i've downloaded 3ds max, mudbox, gimp, unreal development kit and have been teaching myself these programs and started chipping away at the verry long and painfull process of making our own MMORPG. My partner has been helping we have come up with some awesome monsterous ideas and a floor less story line amonst other things, but yeah!

most others been jumping back onto there console games, p101, w101, c9 and what not but none of these games seem to cut it and as for desteny "Activisions project titan" its gonna just be another rip off of halo and to be honest first person shooters are boring as watching the grass grow.

most of next gen gaming looks boring, yeah they have better graphics and phisics but lack luster and the fun factor.

only segestion i could give you is to look out for "Bless" as it has potential but i fear it taking the same road as WoW or Perfect World in being so simple that its just boring, lets hope they dont take that road.  

• celulascelulas Member Posts: 2

posted it twice damn human checker!