Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandbox Yeah, But With Great Patience

darthbuhdarthbuh Member UncommonPosts: 24

I've never had the opportunity to play this game, and the long-term beta invite starting in February was nice.

I enthusiastically logged in, picked a school, and went with it.  For several hours.

The game strongly favors subscribers; not that anything is wrong with that, but if it were a little more clear going into the game, it would be easier to understand. The variety of skills and tasks is amazing. The translations. . I just stopped reading after a while, it gave me a headache.

Just not the game for me.

Good luck to future Wushu players! Oh, and meditate often!

Retired: WoW (Cataclysm), SWTOR (pre-F2P), Champions Online, City of Heroes, RIFT, Age of Conan (pre-F2P)
On Hold: FFXIV Heavensward, Blade and Soul, Firefall

Comments

• wfsaxtonwfsaxton Member UncommonPosts: 73

I did the same thing as you.  Logged on a few months ago, played a couple hours, logged off with a headache from the translations.

I re-gave it a try 2 days ago and am seriously hooked.  Every time I get frustrated with transations, I alt-tab out and try to learn a bit from the various guides that are available..  It's hard figuring a lot of this stuff out, but it gets more rewarding as I continue to learn more.  I also just joined a clan, so hopefully this will help even more!

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by wfsaxton

I did the same thing as you.  Logged on a few months ago, played a couple hours, logged off with a headache from the translations.

I re-gave it a try 2 days ago and am seriously hooked.  Every time I get frustrated with transations, I alt-tab out and try to learn a bit from the various guides that are available..  It's hard figuring a lot of this stuff out, but it gets more rewarding as I continue to learn more.  I also just joined a clan, so hopefully this will help even more!

Thats exactly how it was for me and I've heard this a number of times already from different people. 

So there I was looking for a new MMO to play so I downloaded a few games and one of them was Age of Wushu. My first run was very basic I created some random "afhggf" char and just wanted to see what is was about. So I ran around in Yanyu and I was like..."this is the game?!" It felt very f2p'y and all and plus the bad translation I quickly shut it down and proceeded to download Path of Exile -- in hopes of it being a good game. 

I swear to you 2 days go by and I get bored with PoE. I still have AoW and boot it up. it's like something just sucks you back in. This time I create a serious char and take the story and translations lightly. And I just kept on playing for a good 3 hours until I reached my school. 

I think at around that time the game starting opening up tremendously feature wise and my brain started flowing with ideas, and the answer to most ideas in AoW is a resounding YES. 

Can I learn the move the guy killed me with even if Im a different school? YES

Are those guys actually practicing martial arts in a group of 10 in synergy? YES

Can I just be a chef and cook food all day? YES

Can I go on patrol? YES

etc. 

And after that I guess I got addicted doing daily things like hunting boar, kidnapping people, and I have kind of made a name for myself attacking people who have kidnapped others and stealing their bag and turning it in myself. 

You see another person may have a completely different goal or hobby and thats where Age of Wushu really shines.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    kidnapping people, thats kind of daily quests I like +spying :P
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    i will wait for age of wulin. i dont like playing betas, i get spoiled too much and losing my character at the end of the beta is just killing too much of my precious time.
  • park97park97 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by mistmaker
    i will wait for age of wulin. i dont like playing betas, i get spoiled too much and losing my character at the end of the beta is just killing too much of my precious time.

At least create a toon and log off. so that we all can kidnap you.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by park97

i did! have one on american and russian server. you might have met him or kidnapped him already :-)

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by park97

They said there wont be a character wipe at release.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    probably he is from EU so ping and events time sux for him
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    How is this game sandbox? 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by xpiher

That is a big question and not an easy one as sandbox means different things for different people.  Age of Wushu does not tell you what to do.  You do not move from quest hub to quest hub and doing boring shit like most mmorpgs.  All the gear in game is player crafted and none of it is permanent.  There are a limited number of castles which are controlled and fought over by guilds.  These castles provide income for the guild. 

The game simulates a real living world.  Offline players work at various jobs to make money and often that is a primary source of income for players.  Money is very strictly controlled in the game.  You only get it through going to work, kidnapping, and setting up your own shop to sell crafted goods or gathered mats, or martial arts scripts.

There are schools of martial arts which serve as classes and factions both.  However, anyone can learn any skill provided that they can steal the martial arts manual from the rival school.  Seen that in quite a few kung fu flics, I love it.

Almost every aspect of the game involves PVP.  Instance bosses summon players to try and wreck the instance group.  Guilds can run carts between cities to make cash, and the carts are attackable.  Players can spy on enemy schools where other players are searching out spies.  Players can join events to steal martial arts manuals to learn new skills.  Players can set up their own little shops and hawk their wares.  It feels like a real world rather than the quest hubs you usually see. 

Open pvp everywhere, with a prison system.  Constable players can kill and arrest criminals putting them in a jail.  Jail is boring but there are ways out: gambling with the guards, serving your sentence, or getting your buddies to pull a high stakes prison break (that alerts all constables in the game, better be quick!!!) 

The combat itself is pretty awesome.  Flying skills let you run up walls, fly through the air for short periods, or burst dash.  It really makes terrain relevant in the combat which other games don't.  Also the block/feint/overt system makes combat an intellectual and fun undertaking, just not when first starting out before players get many skills.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Simple - it isn't.

There is just other than level-through-quests-or-killing-mobs progression which some people confuse for sandbox.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Simple - it isn't.

There is just other than level-through-quests-or-killing-mobs progression which some people confuse for sandbox.

Yes but it definately isn't a themepark either. So what is it? The idea that there are only two choices was probably flawed from the start well before this game and the other recent "hybrids" came about.

Originally posted by GrayKodiakYes but it definately isn't a themepark either.

It might not be a "WoW clone" but it is still "themepark". Only thing that has changed is how you progress but it is still same lvl and gear progression as any themepark is build on.

That is nothing negative, it is just one of the way how to make a game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by GrayKodiak

Yes but it definately isn't a themepark either.

It might not be a "WoW clone" but it is still "themepark". Only thing that has changed is how you progress but it is still same lvl and gear progression as any themepark is build on.

Ok I see you like EVE, no need to lie about AoW though. I think you have played the game. Why are you lying though. I mean going under the assumption that you've played, the only way you could say this is if you are intentionally trying to mislead. AoW is not a threat to EVE (even though Goon Squad is in AoW in mass), AoW is people, EVE is space ships.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Yes but it definately isn't a themepark either.

So anything with skills that level up is now a themepark? Eve is now a themepark?

So anything with skills that level up is now a themepark? Eve is now a themepark?

2 different things. There is no progression in EVE.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Is there no western company which manages to deliver a decent new sandbox MMO?

gonna wait for EQ Next and World of Darkness I guess

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Is it me or do most people have their OWN version of 'a sandbox MMO'? People considered SWG sandbox, I can't say I did.

"Being able to do what you want" is so generic it's not even funny.

I can do what I want in any MMO, I just won't always succeed at it. If I wanna level naked in WoW I can, is it now a sandbox?

As a long time eve player, and still a fan, I call B.S. of the first degree on that one.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Up until a couple weeks ago, I thought the name was GaryKodiak
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

You're talking nonsense.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Simple - it isn't.

I dont do quests to level............ You actualy dont even have to play to level. Just log in once a day (if vip) and set your skill.

Killing of mobs over and over can be for both, but not just themepark.

Do you play at all? Because you should have known you dont need quests to level.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Onomas

Simple - it isn't.

I dont do quests to level............ You actualy dont even have to play to level. Just log in once a day (if vip) and set your skill.

Killing of mobs over and over can be for both, but not just themepark.

Do you play at all? Because you should have known you dont need quests to level.

I don't think you even get XP for killing mobs.. Heeey he tried to pull a fast one.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Originally posted by GrayKodiakAs a long time eve player, and still a fan, I call B.S. of the first degree on that one.

Fair enough, however EVE still will be having no progression.

If you take away quests from WoW, Rift, etc., keep the end game content of those games and use it as base for leveling, you will get AoW.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Fuuny thing is that SnailGames don't promote Age Of Wushu/Wulin as their main flagship sandbox MMO that is coming later this year.

Age Of Wushu is  great game but the best is yet to come from SnailGames.