Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pvp in Tera?

vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68

Dl'ed TERA and loving it so far. Not sure why I didn't pick it up last year.......oh yeah, waited on SWTOR and GW2....

Anyways, I thought I'd roll on a pve to start, but am interested in pvp. From what I can gather, there is no pvp on a pve server at all, correct? Not even battlegorunds of some sort?

Secondly how does the pvp on a pvp server work? I read that you have to toggle yourself on in order to open world pvp, but what is the point of that? Would I basically be invulnerable to pker's unless I toggled on for pvp on a pvp server? How is the pvp? Is it gank after gank once I hit lvl 11? Is there alot of open world pvp? Is it all elitst bs, cause I love pvp but aint the best at it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Not sure on pve features, but the pvp server essentially lets someone flag themselves as "outlaws", who can then attack anyone at any time, whether they are flagged or not.

They build up infamy through killing, which prevents them from turning off their outlaw status, which means anyone can attack them at any time as well. If you want to pvp without necessarily being flagged, you could just hunt for outlaws.

You will get ganked at some point or another, the only penalty is a big hit on stamina, which you can fix at any campfire. If you are an outlaw I think any equipped crystals you have can break as well, just like if you die to a mob. I've only had it happen once in 23 levels so far, but I usually switch to lower populated channels when i'm leveling.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I rerolled on the new pve server because from my understanding you still have all the battlegrounds and guild vs guild right?
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by vindir

Dl'ed TERA and loving it so far. Not sure why I didn't pick it up last year.......oh yeah, waited on SWTOR and GW2....

Anyways, I thought I'd roll on a pve to start, but am interested in pvp. From what I can gather, there is no pvp on a pve server at all, correct? Not even battlegorunds of some sort?

Secondly how does the pvp on a pvp server work? I read that you have to toggle yourself on in order to open world pvp, but what is the point of that? Would I basically be invulnerable to pker's unless I toggled on for pvp on a pvp server? How is the pvp? Is it gank after gank once I hit lvl 11? Is there alot of open world pvp? Is it all elitst bs, cause I love pvp but aint the best at it.

On a PvE server you can:

Duel with a person anytime and anywhere.

Set up a deathmatch with up to 20 players anytime and anywhere.

Declare war on another guild and fight them anytime and anywhere.

Run Battle Grounds at lv60.

On a PvP server you can:

Do all of the above.

Pk anytime outside of cities, towns, and outpost.  In order to Pk someone you have to have the PK skill (you get it when you reach Velika)  Its used like a skill and will flag you red for a set amount of time.  When your red you can kill anyone.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget
    Originally posted by vindir

On a PvE server you can:

Duel with a person anytime and anywhere.

Set up a deathmatch with up to 20 players anytime and anywhere.

Declare war on another guild and fight them anytime and anywhere.

Run Battle Grounds at lv60.

On a PvP server you can:

Do all of the above.

Pk anytime outside of cities, towns, and outpost.  In order to Pk someone you have to have the PK skill (you get it when you reach Velika)  Its used like a skill and will flag you red for a set amount of time.  When your red you can kill anyone.

Thats what I wanted to know. I will stick to the pve servers because I am not really a fan of the pk system in Tera.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Why would someone want on a Tera ftp pvp sever? I am to much of a carebear to find enjoyment in trying to level in such an environment.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    Why would someone want on a Tera ftp pvp sever? I am to much of a carebear to find enjoyment in trying to level in such an environment.

Because theres multiple channels so you can generally leave the populated ones to avoid gankers/griefers. Your reward is a larger community at endgame and people who generally do more stuff, also more drama, lots and lots of Guild vs Guild drama.

• vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I played AIon and L2 for a couple years each. In those games, never knowing when death was around the corner at the hands of another player brought an excitable level of enjoyment for me. Not only that but turn it around and become the hunter of PKer's. I find that fun. However I understand what you mean about trying to level in such an environment. There are days where it can be frustrating trying to get anything done. just trying to avoid PKer's.
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

I play on a PvP server.  Currently 38 priest, yesterday took down about 10 reds, some of them 44+, teamwork/skill will take out any griefers.  =)

PvE is fun if you aren't looking for random excitement and don't like the idea of looking over your shoulder, but to me that is boring and feels like one of those 'drive a car' on tracks at an amusement park, "Ohhhh heyyyy I can't crash, funnnnnn..."

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

Coming from pvp svrs in wow, i found it odd to play on tera's PVE svr, there's no sense of danger and no excitement so i jst went ahead and rolled a mystic on ishara pvp svr on tera eu. Since then, i had never looked back and never regretted my decision.

Of course, there are some twinks with +9 who makes life hard for me or guys who are just plain assholez whose main reason is to grief but hey i had the means to turn the tables around in certain circumstances just like yest i was questing i lvl 34 and there was a war whose lvl 39, was chatting with my irl mates when out of a sudden my hp went from 100 to 50%, the switch inside my head flipped and i went image Even if im gonna die, i'll make his life a living hell(my gamer's pride) lol.

Apart from that, there are  2 other incidents like being chased relentlessly by a group of 3 pk-ers and making it out alive and a slayer who made it his mission to kill me cause the hunter gets hunted lol. This are the highlights or breaks from the monotous solo pve. Some people just hate it and i do respect their preference. Anyways Op, i hope u had a fun time on a pvp svr. 

Everybody thats saying that there is no sense of danger unless you play on the pvp servers have not read the thread. PVE servers have Guild VS Guild. Thats full open pvp against other guilds without the stupid pvp toggle on and toggle off. There is some sort of point system to the guild vs guild but maybe somebody with better knowledge of this system can explain further. Thats pvp for a reason and to me thats what real pvp is all about. Currently I am in the largest guild on the server and right now we are trying to get our levels up before we engage in Guild VS Guild. I am not even sure En Masse has it enabled yet.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You kind of are flagged in guild vrs guild. Your name turns purple to show everyone you're in a guild at war. It doesn't mean they can all attack you but it does warn your enemy you're coming ( not that that's a bad thing )

I don't know if the point system is working though. Most guild wars seem to end in a draw.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Mannish

Everybody thats saying that there is no sense of danger unless you play on the pvp servers have not read the thread. PVE servers have Guild VS Guild. Thats full open pvp against other guilds without the stupid pvp toggle on and toggle off. There is some sort of point system to the guild vs guild but maybe somebody with better knowledge of this system can explain further. Thats pvp for a reason and to me thats what real pvp is all about. Currently I am in the largest guild on the server and right now we are trying to get our levels up before we engage in Guild VS Guild. I am not even sure En Masse has it enabled yet.

Not many people GvG on PvE servers though, that's the thing. On PvP you do one thing to upset the guild leader of a PvP guild in the slightest and it's GvG, see you at nexus. PvE servers nobody is really like that.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Not many people GvG on PvE servers though, that's the thing. On PvP you do one thing to upset the guild leader of a PvP guild in the slightest and it's GvG, see you at nexus. PvE servers nobody is really like that.

Well I know the guild I am in plans on doing it but if you declare on another guild do they have a choice to accept or not and what are the benefits of actually winning a war?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Well I know the guild I am in plans on doing it but if you declare on another guild do they have a choice to accept or not and what are the benefits of actually winning a war?

on a PvE server they have to accept......I think. I don't think this game has any forced pvp on pve servers.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    TERA has the best PVP in any MMORPG I've played bar none.
    Originally posted by DamonVile

on a PvE server they have to accept......I think. I don't think this game has any forced pvp on pve servers.

Thats good to hear. I have a character on both the new pvp and new pve servers so I will see how it goes.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    After reading everyones posts on pvp I am giving it a try on a pvp server and enjoying- thanks gents. 
  • layvilayvi Member Posts: 1

The simple fact is, you can't get from level 11 to level 20 without being ganked by level 60's repeatedly and repeat and repeat and repeat. Not in Tera though where there is no real reason not to gank lowbies. There is a debuff that prevents you from entering dungeons and nerfs your defense and damage depending on how many people you ganked but it wears off and a level 60 with the max debuff can still slaughter a level 20 no problem. Also, having the debuff prevents you from leveling and doing quests at your level so what else is there to do? Gank more lowbies!

Whenever people (peoplel who fight fair and fun) tell them to go pvp people their own level, the gankers usually response is "Quit QQing, if you can't handle PvP go play on a Pve server". This seems to be a logical response for them and this statement is used to defend the most pussiest BS behavior by a bunch or people that probably kick kittens IRL. Don't like being on-shotted by somebody that could stand there a regenerate health faster than you can damage them? Then go play PVE and wuit QQing.

People say it adds to the excitment, but it is actually just lame. 

It has great potential, but its hokey pvp system has attracted every single preteen and socially maladjusted 40 year old virgin griefer on the planet

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Tera pvp is the shizzle. Lake of Tears ftw.
  • infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160
    So basically, the only difference is that PvE servers are magnets for carebears. Everyone else goes PvP.