Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After GW2 do you want the holy trio back?

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Personally, while I like GW2 to a degree, I'm not a fan of it's group mechanics at all.  It took playing without the Trinity to realize that I really enjoyed being a certain focus in a party.  Thank you GW2 for showing me what I should have known all along, ever since FFXI where party role was pivotal to playing the game and made it awesome and built community.
  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Role based grouping with aggro mechanics?  Yes please.

Additonal roles please.

Of course.

Even WoW's near sibling (by opening date) managed at least 5 roles. But I don't see that option on the survey.

Lotro has the rogue and champion class which is a...debuffer/buffer style I suppose, that is one of the more recent western examples of non trinity rolls. EQ had a lot, I remember bards and rangers being very well done. I am playing age of wushu which doesn't have a healer but does have several schools considered tanky and a few considered buffy, but I would say it is mostly trinity free.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

No, I don't like not having any roles at all. It is one thing to have a hybrid class but it's a completely different story when you completely remove roles. I think that MMOs should still focus on the different roles but have one class have more than 1 role. So say your class can be specced as a healer, tank, dps, CC/buffer/support. I think WoW's hybrid classes are a good example of this.

What we have in GW2 is kinda meh PvE wise. In GW2 you have no roles. It's not like you switch between roles in combat in GW2. In GW2 everyone and their dog play DPS. There is no healing in the game in any real form. When playing GW2's dungeons I feel like I am just playing DPS. You pew pew pew pew....throw in some buffs/super minor heals and kite like crazy then pew pew again. That's NOT fun. It is fun for a while but it gets extremely monotonous. What's even more annoying that dungeons revolve around some what I would call "gimmick" mechanics and strategies. Kiting and running away from mobs is just stupid and everyone runs around like a headless chicken while the rest of the party do DPS.

At the end of the day, don't get fooled that GW2 abandoned the roles system. What they did was just give everyone one role - DPS. Everyone in the game is DPS with some minor support/buffs capabilities which is EXACTLY what DPS classes do in other MMOs - aka dps + buffs/minor support. GW2 removed tanks and healers and all that's left is DPS.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by fivoroth

No, I don't like not having any roles at all. It is one thing to have a hybrid class but it's a completely different story when you completely remove roles. I think that MMOs should still focus on the different roles but have one class have more than 1 role. So say your class can be specced as a healer, tank, dps, CC/buffer/support. I think WoW's hybrid classes are a good example of this.

What we have in GW2 is kinda meh PvE wise. In GW2 you have no roles. It's not like you switch between roles in combat in GW2. In GW2 everyone and their dog play DPS. There is no healing in the game in any real form. When playing GW2's dungeons I feel like I am just playing DPS. You pew pew pew pew....throw in some buffs/super minor heals and kite like crazy then pew pew again. That's NOT fun. It is fun for a while but it gets extremely monotonous. What's even more annoying that dungeons revolve around some what I would call "gimmick" mechanics and strategies. Kiting and running away from mobs is just stupid and everyone runs around like a headless chicken while the rest of the party do DPS.

At the end of the day, don't get fooled that GW2 abandoned the roles system. What they did was just give everyone one role - DPS. Everyone in the game is DPS with some minor support/buffs capabilities which is EXACTLY what DPS classes do in other MMOs - aka dps + buffs/minor support.

what are you talking about? and if you are just running around a dungeon doing dps and nothing else i bet you guys are wiping a lot or people are getting angry with you.. or you are just grouping with some people that really know how to play gw2 roles well.. also no healing at all in any form? have you really not played the game at all and are making blind assumptions based on a very limited amount of play?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

At the end of the day, don't get fooled that GW2 abandoned the roles system. What they did was just give everyone one role - DPS. Everyone in the game is DPS with some minor support/buffs capabilities which is EXACTLY what DPS classes do in other MMOs - aka dps + buffs/minor support.

what are you talking about? and if you are just running around a dungeon doing dps and nothing else i bet you guys are wiping a lot or people are getting angry with you.. or you are just grouping with some people that really know how to play gw2 roles well.. also no healing at all in any form? have you really not played the game at all and are making blind assumptions based on a very limited amount of play?

That's not based on very limited play. I have played quite a lot and I STILL play the game actively. I have played every single dungeon in the game and I have played quite a few classes. Yes, there is some support you can provide but that's not any different to what DPS classses do in other MMOs. In other MMOs if you are a dps class you have to buff, crowd control etc. In GW2 you do pretty similar things.

Of course, if you explain to me what more you do in GW2, I would be quite happy to elaborate on it?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Not voted.

There are infinity more options to design a game. The world is not black and white. Sorry OP.

Edit: Oh and Self-heal IS the way to go. In my eyes the whole content should be soloable (but be incredible hard to do so) for the hardcore players who want to do so. So yes, self-heal is a must imo.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

Roles are cool but after a few years it feels more like a job and brings out the worse in people. I’d like to see a game like Vindictus only with an open seamless world.  No matter what combo of classes you run a dungeon with it has a different feel on how a battle goes. The mob AI works so well with their combat model when the boss turns towards you for hitting him you get the feeling he’s after you. Everybody shares the experience unlike  like a tank class in a trinity where they’re the only one with boss’s attention more immersive if you ask me. Never do you have anyone bitching about how much healing or dps you did no waiting for tank, healer, dps for a group, Queue up see what you got and run with it. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yeah, Fivoroth's post confused me as well.  I mean sure, roles in GW2 are less obvious, but that's the point.  It is NOT all DPS.  There were times in the few dungeon runs I've done where I had to stop and place protection or healing on my party or we would have had more wipes.  The reason?  Well, I was actually thinking for once.  As a healer in WoW, or even a tank (though tanking was more fun to me.. aside from the yelling), I'd get bored.  In every trinity game since WoW, I'd get bored. 

Support roles are not just something ANet made up to sound trendy.  You just have to know what you're doing.  The great thing to me is, if you aren't needed for support at that precise moment, you can still do something else.  As a healer in WoW, if no one was losing health, you were just eye candy - and after Cata, you almost didn't need healers in dungeons til level 60.  I heard from a friend who quit WoW recently that things are so easy now it's not worth playing.  I blame that reason on a poorly implimented trinity system... and of course, nerfs.

That's not based on very limited play. I have played quite a lot and I STILL play the game actively. I have played every single dungeon in the game and I have played quite a few classes. Yes, there is some support you can provide but that's not any different to what DPS classses do in other MMOs. In other MMOs if you are a dps class you have to buff, crowd control etc. In GW2 you do pretty similar things.

Of course, if you explain to me what more you do in GW2, I would be quite happy to elaborate on it?

no you don't i played Rift for a good long time and as a dps rogue i only had to do one thing.. dps. If i played a support rogue i did more but overall most trinity games i have played don't require each role to step out very far at all from their dps, tank, or healing role in the slightest

on your edit.. if you don't understand gw2 roles i'd watch this it's an old one but explains it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfy9ZRPTcaU

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    GW2's system is crap, trinity is alright but I rather have a system which allows for hybrid classes but which can, unlike GW2, actually fill the spot of the tank, healer, CC and so on. More flexible trinity, I guess like Rift, but rigid classes like TERA is crap and gets boring quick.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    1. As some who always plays healers, I never wanted the trinity gone to begin with.
    2. GW2 does have a trinity, just not the one we're used to - it's damage, support, control, and most professions do at least two of them.

<3

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298

I find it so bloody irritating that the views of anyone who criticises GW2 are dismissed by the fanbois on some ill-founded nonsense that they have insufficient experience or have failed to learn how to play.  

This is an mmo site and GW2 was the biggest release of last year, I would imagine a hell of a lot of people here will have played it quite extensively.  And believe it or not, it really is not all that disimilar to most other mmo's on the market, there is really not all that much to learn.  

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

What we have in GW2 is kinda meh PvE wise. In GW2 you have no roles. 

And what exactly are the roles in GW 2? And dont say support because there is no class which can do full support, you still need to do a lot of DPS inbetween the cooldowns.

In GW 2 you have to take turns doing support and most of the time you just do DPS DPS DPS. Boring.

Originally posted by Yamota

And what exactly are the roles in GW 2? And dont say support because there is no class which can do full support, you still need to do a lot of DPS inbetween the cooldowns.

In GW 2 you have to take turns doing support and most of the time you just do DPS DPS DPS. Boring.

gw2 you don't play just a "single" role at any one time that's the whole point of it

Originally posted by Yamota

Well someone argued just above that DPS in most MMO's can CC... does that mean there are no classes that are full DPS in those games?  Your argument is based on your opinion which is great, but I don't think you're looking at the whole picture.  Even a priest in WoW can dps with offensive spells on the disc tree, does that mean they're not full healer classes?  Your logic is off.  I've played a support role in GW2.

Now what?

no you don't i played Rift for a good long time and as a dps rogue i only had to do one thing.. dps. If i played a support rogue i did more but overall most trinity games i have played don't require each role to step out very far at all from their dps, tank, or healing role in the slightest

on your edit.. if you don't understand gw2 roles i'd watch this it's an old one but explains it well

In Rift maybe not but in EQ2 and WoW you did have to debuff/CC a lot as a dps. Don't get me wrong I love GW2 and it's the only MMO I have played in the last 1-2 years. I still play the game and I love a lot about it. But the absence of tanks/healers or more dedicated roles is certainly not one of my favourite highlights about the game.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

These are folks clearly never played the game or just plain bad!

Every Profession have some form Buff, interrupt or CC, I'm convinced some these cats are just terrible players!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

In Rift maybe not but in EQ2 and WoW you did have to debuff/CC a lot as a dps. Don't get me wrong I love GW2 and it's the only MMO I have played in the last 1-2 years. I still play the game and I love a lot about it. But the absence of tanks/healers or more dedicated roles is certainly not one of my favourite highlights about the game.

that i can understand as some just prefer the more defined roles in combat and don't like having to switch roles on the fly in combat constantly

Originally posted by dreamscaper
    1. As some who always plays healers, I never wanted the trinity gone to begin with.
    2. GW2 does have a trinity, just not the one we're used to - it's damage, support, control, and most professions do at least two of them.

I agree with GW2 having those roles but without a hard core aggro mechanic built to the mob AI and a class with taunt mechanics built in it doesn't fall into a trinity model. Trinity combat model doesn’t necessarily mean 3 like in its literal sense.  More a class who totally holds a mob attention and depends on support from the rest whether it’s healing and dps. There has been different flavors yes but pretty much revolves around the mobs AI hate mechanics.

Please don’t say soft trinity..

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299

In answer to the OP. Not just yes but HELL YES!

I just dont think the system works very well. Its not that it doesnt work, I just dont find it to be that great of an answer. Maybe a system like this could work if implemented better, but I cant see it. So another game company needs to prove me wrong. Again this is IMO.

Also just from a personal perspective. I just didnt like it. I know I know there are problems with highly specific class systems, and having to wait for a group for hours. Even still I like the ultra-focused interdependent team play. So Id rather see systems that make this kind of thing work better, than eliminate true Trinity (or better Quad-roles that include CC classes).

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by kitarad
    My problem with gw 2 is that it is not a good implementation of the no holy trinity idea. I think City of X did it way better and people were still able to have clear roles which is the main reason it fails in gw 2.

They must have changed from CoH, because CoH definitely copied the EQ, Tank, Heal, CC, DPS methodology.

I should have been more precise it was City of Villains . In city of Villians the heals were not that strong. Neither was the crowd control so each combination had to debuff,shield ,heal and send pets in to tank to some extent because brutes were no tanks. Even in City of Heroes you could play without tanks if you used crowd controls and debuffs but each person knew their role it was how they worked together that made the game interesting. If not for the mission maps that got old the gameplay actually rocked. When classes no longer have a delienation of roles is when the game loses cohesion and that is what I dislkike about the mechanics of GW 2 in dungeons. Yes it does work but no moments where you can triumph and save things. It does not have to be a trinity like City of Villians showed us it can be done and it will still give you heartbeating moments of absolute fun and even glory when you save the day. I know I loved that about the game. Never got that feeling in GW 2.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Trinity is so stale and uninteresting.
    Originally posted by grimfall
    My problem with gw 2 is that it is not a good implementation of the no holy trinity idea. I think City of X did it way better and people were still able to have clear roles which is the main reason it fails in gw 2.

They must have changed from CoH, because CoH definitely copied the EQ, Tank, Heal, CC, DPS methodology.

I should have been more precise it was City of Villains . In city of Villians the heals were not that strong. Neither was the crowd control so each combination had to debuff,shield ,heal and send pets in to tank to some extent because brutes were no tanks. Even in City of Heroes you could play without tanks if you used crowd controls and debuffs but each person knew their role it was how they worked together that made the game interesting. If not for the mission maps that got old the gameplay actually rocked. When classes no longer have a delienation of role is when they game loses cohesion and that is what I dislkike about the mechanics of Gw 2 in dungeons. Yes it does work but no moments where you can triumph and save things.

i do this all the time though.. as a mesmer i can do some amazing things.. i have held off encounters with my clones long enough to make a clutch rez and bring us back in the fight numerous times.. was doing a champion encounter yesterday where i held him off for 5 minutes inbetween keeping others around me alive and keeping him occupied..

Originally posted by SuperNick

I hated the lack of the trinity.

Been playing MMOs for years now and while I thought it sounded great on paper, I knew it was doomed to fail.

It basically failed on all the expectations I had:

1. I didn't really feel connected to my characters, they were all just DPS to me with some utility.
    2. Dungeons were awful, unbalanced and a general mess. How were they ever going to balance it really? I still have nightmares about "hey i'm downed get me up!"
    3. With the no trinity, I basically lost playstyles I love. I love tanking and healing, I felt relegated into DPS only. Sure, I could play a fully water specced elementalist but it was generally a waste of time.
    4. The PvP basically became 'who can stay alive the longest' which I felt wasn't really tactical at all. It just discouraged you from playing squishy classes and specs overall. 3 guardians a warrior and a ranger became the normal in structured, of which you had a nightmare of a time getting them off flags.
    5. Where was the teamwork? Take whatever and whoever into a dungeon, it didn't matter.
    There's a couple of other minor things that made me dislike it a lot but yea those are the main ones.

So yeah, I hope no game tries that garbage again because I don't think it works at all in an MMO setting. It's like playing an FPS game where they've decided to give everyone the same gun, it's boring as hell.

I'm curious, knowing not having the combat model or the classes you enjoy why did you purchase? 

Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Trinity is so stale and uninteresting.

Yes... well, God forbid an MMO is introduced after several years of the same thing that has mobs in it that have realistic aggro mechanics that don't center around one slow guy that does no damage yelling obscenities about its mother.  This radical change that no one is actually forced to play is surely a sign of the end-times.

You heard it here first.  Variety is the DEVIL, Bobby Bushea!!