Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does TESO offer that GW2 does not?

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Hopefully a better programmed game.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Both games look good to e.
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    It will be no better or worse than GW2, same shit different world.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yes worm, I have weighed the supposed benefits of gw2 swapping about server pairings.

THERE AREN'T ANY

supposedly this swapping thing helps with finding that pink elephant called "mmo balance", but it doesn't.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by saurus123

Originally posted by boxsnd endgame real pvp progression your enemies don't look the same as your allies trinity a game engine that allows more than 50 player fights without melting your computer (hopefully) the pve zones won't be empty due to the mega-server tech   But at the moment we know very little about the game. I'm refusing to get hyped until I actually play it for a while. I'm very cautious after the GW2 disaster.
    ohh yea you saw the endgame you saw the pvp progression theres no trinity yes maybe 20 players will melt your computer   and no GW2 wasnt a disaster theres alot of ppl enjoing it cool you left the game so why bashing it all the time you get paid for it?

End game hasn't been seen but its confirmed as being in the game (unlike gw2)

PvP progression is also confirmed, alliance points are like realm points in daoc and can be used to gain access to pvp specific abilities (confirmed in the guardian interview)

There is a trinity, look at zams hands on one of the first lines is "the trinity is alive and well in teso", also from the hands on here "Along those lines, the Trinity is in ESO"

Again they have confirmed they aim for 200+ on screen at once when running on their recommended spec. ,and have shown over 100+ on screen in their intro vid (which they have said in interviews were all player controlled), granted things might change when the game goes live, but atm its certainly looking good

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by ragz45

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

• Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
    • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.
    • Seamless world - Having no loading screens will be a nice change.

What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

where did you get the info on tamriel being a seamless world?

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Blakkrskyrr

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

• Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
    • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.

What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

where did you get the info on tamriel being a seamless world?

It can't be seamless as it is split into 3 factions with zero interaction outside the central PvP hub of Cryodil.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    By seamless I think he means the maps held by the factions, and that they are not split up to leveled zones like in gw2, which I am sorely hoping is the case. Hate the gw2 map system. Such a completionist game. I'd rather prefer WoW' s seamless world aside from cross continent and New areas and instances dungeons.
  • iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

What does ESO have that GW2 doesn't?

A bandwagon for hipsters to jump on? Overhype? Gw2 used to have this till people actually played it. I suspect people will hype the hell out of ESO but it will turn out to be mediocre....I hope im wrong and its amazing but I doubt it.

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Just curious, where did you heard that this game would be seamless (aka no loadings between zones)? AFAIK it does have loading screens.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

it is idiotic  that a topic is 17 pages long  ( indication for how much the siteowners care)  and you can be sure all is said in the first 5 pages already...the rest  is a quote-a vs quote-b vs quote c..ect.

why compare a game that isnt even released  with a game that is already on the market?

all we know atm are hearsay  on TESO yet you knuckleheads start ing  topics like this ...

its sad

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by Pumuckl71

it is idiotic  that a topic is 17 pages long  ( indication for how much the siteowners care)  and you can be sure all is said in the first 5 pages already...the rest  is a quote-a vs quote-b vs quote c..ect.

why compare a game that isnt even released  with a game that is already on the market?

all we know atm are hearsay  on TESO yet you knuckleheads start ing  topics like this ...

its sad

Thank you after reading through the first 5 page, I found my answer (actually the only answer)

[quote]

So, three pages in and no one actually answered the OPs question.

The answer is NOTHING.

A game that is NOT out yet, offers NOTHING.

[/quote]

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by deakon

Originally posted by boxsnd endgame real pvp progression your enemies don't look the same as your allies trinity a game engine that allows more than 50 player fights without melting your computer (hopefully) the pve zones won't be empty due to the mega-server tech   But at the moment we know very little about the game. I'm refusing to get hyped until I actually play it for a while. I'm very cautious after the GW2 disaster.
    ohh yea you saw the endgame you saw the pvp progression theres no trinity yes maybe 20 players will melt your computer   and no GW2 wasnt a disaster theres alot of ppl enjoing it cool you left the game so why bashing it all the time you get paid for it?

End game hasn't been seen but its confirmed as being in the game (unlike gw2)

PvP progression is also confirmed, alliance points are like realm points in daoc and can be used to gain access to pvp specific abilities (confirmed in the guardian interview)

There is a trinity, look at zams hands on one of the first lines is "the trinity is alive and well in teso", also from the hands on here "Along those lines, the Trinity is in ESO"

Again they have confirmed they aim for 200+ on screen at once when running on their recommended spec. ,and have shown over 100+ on screen in their intro vid (which they have said in interviews were all player controlled), granted things might change when the game goes live, but atm its certainly looking good

and yet they stated max number of players up to 200

once again there is no trinity

"TES Online gives players a lot of control in battle to break away from what is known as the "Holy Trinity" in MMOs (Tank/Healer/Damage). The intent is to have players form small groups to clear most content without the use of Aggro. That's right, there will be no Aggro in TES Online. Each player is responsible for their own selves."

source

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online

also big issue

"Fights will no longer be in real time. See PvP play above."

means turn based PVP? ;D

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by deakon  

End game hasn't been seen but its confirmed as being in the game (unlike gw2)   PvP progression is also confirmed, alliance points are like realm points in daoc and can be used to gain access to pvp specific abilities (confirmed in the guardian interview)   There is a trinity, look at zams hands on one of the first lines is "the trinity is alive and well in teso", also from the hands on here "Along those lines, the Trinity is in ESO"   Again they have confirmed they aim for 200+ on screen at once when running on their recommended spec. ,and have shown over 100+ on screen in their intro vid (which they have said in interviews were all player controlled), granted things might change when the game goes live, but atm its certainly looking good
    and yet they stated max number of players up to 200   once again there is no trinity "TES Online gives players a lot of control in battle to break away from what is known as the "Holy Trinity" in MMOs (Tank/Healer/Damage). The intent is to have players form small groups to clear most content without the use of Aggro. That's right, there will be no Aggro in TES Online. Each player is responsible for their own selves."   source http://uk.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online   also big issue "Fights will no longer be in real time. See PvP play above."   means turn based PVP? ;D

The trinity is there, the devs themselves have said that you can tank heal or dps in the game, this isn't a debate its fact, yes there is freedom in how you build your character but the roles are there, unless of course ign know more than the devs and those that had hands on with the game?

"It's easy to see how your preferred style of play will lead you into certain combat approaches and yes, as I'm sure you were wondering, the Holy Trinity is alive and well in The Elder Scrolls Online. Roles you will be able to practice in places such as public dungeons, Crows Rock being the first for the Ebonheart Pact, which seemed very open and great for fans of exploration. " link

"Along those lines, the Trinity is in ESO" link

They didn't say maximum number of players is 200 at all, they said their pvp map holds up to 2k players and can have 200 players on screen at recommended spec.

"We're planning on having 2,000 people at once in Cyrodiil,"

"because with a PVP system which supports thousands of players we really need multiple thousands to test that effectively." link

"Every one of the figures in that video was a human player. We got all of our devs into the game for a PvP test, and then captured that sequence with them. It was all in-game. Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world and supports up to 2000 players in it at the same time. ESO’s client is designed to be able to handle (on the recommended spec) 200 players on screen at the same time. That particular scene had about 115 players on each side." link

No idea what ign are talking about with pvp, there's nothing that even hints that pvp will be turn based, the only thing they did say about latency was that due to latency they couldn't have physics based attacks for ranged, which is why they have a soft lock system.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

My biggest thing that ESO will have that GW2 doesn't is developers that give a damn about their game, it won't just be some cash cow for Zenimax/Bethesda; it'll be a game they care about being good and regularly updated.

GW2's biggest downfall is the content and frankly in 6 months they've achieved next to nothing in that game, it's so incredibly stagnant.

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346

http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/

Why dont you all listen to few podcasts where they talk about their time playing TESO...and stop trying to compare a game that is in alpha  test with a game that is out for months...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

I don't know why anyone would play GW2 tbh. It is easily the most pointless game I've ever played. I felt like everything I did had no meaning toward both my character and the world, especially pvp wise.

Actually GW2 is a great example of the path of destruction MMO's are headed on. The more your game becomes an easy gimmick the more pointless it is to play in the first place. More and more of my friends are abandoning PC's for console games and I see that as the major direction of gaming in 2013. Hopefully some developer proves me wrong but it's not looking good. If TESO doesn't learn from games like EQ2, that had stupid high system reqs, it's pretty much guaranteed to fail.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I can only reiterate what so many have said

Arenanet GW2  WvW ..............totally clueless on what world class faction conflict/warfare is(their idea of faction conflict is to take a 15 minute pvp match...stretch it to a 24/7 two week contest to see which server can score the most points ! Then pretend it didn't happen and have players do it all over again....and again...and again

Elder Scrolls Online............... the games director Matt Firor was one of the two founders who provided the vision and direction of DAOC...the best realm vs realm game ever made

this is why i'm hopefull for ESOL and so disappointed with GW2 WvW

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Originally posted by XAPGames

RvR instead of WvW is one thing I see.

This big time, but GW2 bored me to tears, so I m sure there will be more.

Same here. GW2 WvsWvsW was a joke for me. Instanced, limited amount of people with crappy culling. I really shouldn't have expected better since it's buy to play though. I will never buy another buy to play or free to play game with cash shop, I've learned my lesson, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Don-QuixoteDon-Quixote Member Posts: 87

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer? 

Many things:

People starting to claim this game will save the whole PvP / RvR / WvW / PvE / MMO-Industry / Planet.

People saying this is DAOC's TRUE successor.

People claiming they are sick and tired of their last overhyped game (in this case GW2), into which they mindlessly delved and which they hyped for many months last year only to bash it now.

People suddenly becoming experts on what "end-game", "pvp", "lore", etc. actually mean.

People forgetting that Warhammer Online, SWTOR, TSW, TERA, GW2, etc. they were all touted as the best MMO when they were in alpha stage in the exact same way they are touting TESO now.

People saying "if THAT'S what they are showing us in Alpha.... this can only get better!!!1!!1!"

And finally people starting discussions on how a game in Alpha compares to a game that has been out for months now.

The only thing I am missing is someone stating that WoW is losing subscribers (perhaps showing us a link to battle.net's forums where someone says they are waiting for TESO) and saying how this game FINALLY! will debunk it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

^ This. 

But you know nobody's going to learn their lesson.  I managed to get excited for GW2 and I was pleased with the end result.  I don't expect the world from a game and then after a few months, start touting another one.  I've never understood it.  I consider myself quitting while I'm ahead, really.  There are some games that look interesting on the horizon, but that's about where my enthuiasm ends.

• Originally posted by Don-Quixote

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer? 

Many things:

People starting to claim this game will save the whole PvP / RvR / WvW / PvE / MMO-Industry / Planet.

People saying this is DAOC's TRUE successor.

People claiming they are sick and tired of their last overhyped game (in this case GW2), into which they mindlessly delved and which they hyped for many months last year only to bash it now.

People suddenly becoming experts on what "end-game", "pvp", "lore", etc. actually mean.

People forgetting that Warhammer Online, SWTOR, TSW, TERA, GW2, etc. they were all touted as the best MMO when they were in alpha stage in the exact same way they are touting TESO now.

People saying "if THAT'S what they are showing us in Alpha.... this can only get better!!!1!!1!"

And finally people starting discussions on how a game in Alpha compares to a game that has been out for months now.

The only thing I am missing is someone stating that WoW is losing subscribers (perhaps showing us a link to battle.net's forums where someone says they are waiting for TESO) and saying how this game FINALLY! will debunk it.

Hmm, this sounds vaguely familiar :)

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Hopefully it doesnt take the extreme shallow route in order to appeal to the hordes of ADD kids like GW2 did.

One thing i hope it doesnt have is the GW2 community, specifically the one on this site.  However, posting a thread with GW2 in it set off about 10 of their radars and are already on this thread, so i suspect they will tear this game to shreds as they did with any other game that even remotely competed.

I really hope for Bethesda's sake that this isnt some variation of quest hub themepark, even with a clever trick that dynamic events was, those mechanics are boring after a month....or at least until the storyline is complete if the lore is absolutely fantastic.

Honestly i think this will probably be more comparable to SWTOR, as hip and cool as it is to hate that game, the only thing they did wrong outside of the fail engine was endgame.  I think it will compare to SWTOR with a fantastic campaign up until level cap.

Will endgame be good?  No.  It wont.  Faction based RvR, done to death, predictable outcomes, killing strangers youll never converse with or meet, lacking in any real meaninful reasons behind killing them other than they are on another team. Add same old pve endgame.  I dont see them doing anything unique or exciting with endgame, i see them playing a very predictable and safe route.

I do predict, given launch is polished (has bethesda ever had a major mmo launch?), i see this being a fantastic game, witht he usual huge drop off in population, small niche fanatical cult supporters, and the herd moving to whatever the next overhyped game on the market will be.

Not sure if i want to jump in before or after the herd moves on.

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

NO forced gameplay

Freedom in ingame life, and class

Reward system / unlocks for adventure, AvsA / Pvp

.. just to point out a few.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How is "faction based rvr, done to death"?

Only 3 games have done it, daoc and both planetsides.