Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Congrats, now hit some fansites and find the real WildStar community :) Things are a little dead around these parts!

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    yea i just got the email about it.. hopefully i get an invite to CB sometime:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Mark my words... this will be the dark horse of 2013. 
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    A very bright and cartoony dark horse...
    Originally posted by zevni78

One thing I have learned in many years of MMOing. Is that game play always trumps graphics. If they have somwthing awesome, people will play it. 

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by zevni78

One thing I have learned in many years of MMOing. Is that game play always trumps graphics. If they have somwthing awesome, people will play it. 

For once I kind of like the cartoony graphics.. I'm gonna give it a try if it launches before The Repopulation.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    best thing about the cartoony graphics is they age a ton better than ones that go for the realistic approach

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    best thing about the cartoony graphics is they age a ton better than ones that go for the realistic approach

That is very true.. But the artists have to be very creative to get my attention ;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

With visuals, it always comes down to art direction, doesn't it?

I do like beautifully detailed realistic graphics, but when I think back on MMOs I played, it turns out the visuals that made a really lasting impression on me are the stylized ones.

Along with fitting music and ambient sound design, they can really conjure up impressive moods. Not just "fun ones", either... WOW is "cartoony" to a lot of people, but it does melancholy and despair as well as fun and adventure.

What I'm most curious about in WildStar is how it's going to do the dark stuff. I like their humor, but when it comes to being a long-term resident of a gameworld, I can't go on fun and humor alone. :)

Originally posted by Nikopol

I do like beautifully detailed realistic graphics, but when I think back on MMOs I played, it turns out the visuals that made a really lasting impression on me are the stylized ones.

Along with fitting music and ambient sound design, they can really conjure up impressive moods. Not just "fun ones", either... WOW is "cartoony" to a lot of people, but it does melancholy and despair as well as fun and adventure.

What I'm most curious about in WildStar is how it's going to do the dark stuff. I like their humor, but when it comes to being a long-term resident of a gameworld, I can't go on fun and humor alone. :)

Watch this... great vid and its not all rainbows and bunnies.

It does remind me of WoW graphics on some level,  if WoW was made a new. Still unique enough that it stands out on its own. I think the graphics will grow on many not just WoW fans. I personally think MMOs get to dark and depressing at end game. WS bright style will make their grity looking zones from becomes depressing.

GW2 is one MMO that had lost me when it comes to this. Leveling you are impacted by how stunning everything looks and at end game Orr (end level) area is so depresing. 

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Originally posted by coretex666

Do you think it is possible that WoW had any influence on the graphic of this game?

Something like "lets make it cartoony similar to WoW, so that it feels like home for the WoW crowd (or any crowd simply because the most popular MMO uses this type of graphic)?"

I rather think various graphical styles were considered and as others have said, stylised graphics age better - so if they're planning to be around for a long time then it is the better option. It also promotes brand recognition - a strong art style enables you to pick out the game's screenshots from a crowd.

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Nikopol

Watch this... great vid and its not all rainbows and bunnies.

Thanks for that. The last part doesn't look bad at all. Not Shadowmoon-Valley-dark, but I guess you never know until you get the sounds as well (or really just play the thing!)...

This is one of the few games I'm watching closely this year. Here's to hoping it's fun, immersive and at least a bit fresh.