Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well this isn't the best MMO evar but........

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Well this isn't the best MMO ever but I love how they concentrate on only a few specific systems.

If you're looking for a deep meaningful MMO with all the bells and whistles then this will never be "that" game.  However if all you are looking for out of an MMO is content, content, content then we might have a winner.  So far after 13 straight hours of playing I have never seen an MMO that is devoted to delivering content at a blistering pace.  It's highly unlikely the game Cryptic has going here will ever fail to impress on the content front and I do not ever see anyone ever saying things like: "Man that game was fun but it had no end-game".  Just wont happen with the Foundry system and the plethora of developer content driven systems in NWO.

I'll save my exploration kicks for other MMO's but for now, the thing that has always gotten me to quit is a lack of content and getting bored...not so in NWO!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Foundry has some really deep content - with very deep lore and sandbox like experimental quests...
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    don't think anyone expects this to be the best MMO eva:P but as long as combat is fun, classes are enjoyable, and foundry is well fleshed out i think it will have some good potential for many many hours of enjoyment

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    bout what i expected - an OK game for free to play that might burn a few hours.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Well this isn't the best MMO ever but I love how they concentrate on only a few specific systems. If you're looking for a deep meaningful MMO with all the bells and whistles then this will never be "that" game.  However if all you are looking for out of an MMO is content, content, content then we might have a winner.  So far after 13 straight hours of playing I have never seen an MMO that is devoted to delivering content at a blistering pace.  It's highly unlikely the game Cryptic has going here will ever fail to impress on the content front and I do not ever see anyone ever saying things like: "Man that game was fun but it had no end-game".  Just wont happen with the Foundry system and the plethora of developer content driven systems in NWO. I'll save my exploration kicks for other MMO's but for now, the thing that has always gotten me to quit is a lack of content and getting bored...not so in NWO!
    13 straight hours?
    Originally posted by silverreign

13 straight hours?

in my younger days i used to be able t knock out 13 straight hours in a MMO no problem.. especially new ones that I was testing for the first time...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Quick question, the content you have played so far, was it all dev written? or have you gone through anything player made (maybe tester made) through the foundry yet?

I know it's way early, but it seems you have seen alot so far. Which of course that's what this is all for 8)

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

13 straight hours?

in my younger days i used to be able t knock out 13 straight hours in a MMO no problem.. especially new ones that I was testing for the first time...

When he said that, I was thinking more along the lines of "ALL MMO's have lots of content for well beyond 13 hours of play." Somehow 13 hours doesn't seem like enough time to judge whether there's an incredible amount of content or not.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

13 straight hours?  

i could do the same if i tried but why play so much of the game in beta only to get burned out at launch. i guess im different. i dont want to know too much before launch. i got in the beta of swtor and only played to lvl 5. i wanted it all to be new.
    Originally posted by Aviggin

13 straight hours?

When he said that, I was thinking more along the lines of "ALL MMO's have lots of content for well beyond 13 hours of play." Somehow 13 hours doesn't seem like enough time to judge whether there's an incredible amount of content or not.

ahh yea i see.. i agree but with the foundry you do basically have an unlimited amount of content as long as players keep making it

13 straight hours?  
    i could do the same if i tried but why play so much of the game in beta only to get burned out at launch. i guess im different. i dont want to know too much before launch. i got in the beta of swtor and only played to lvl 5. i wanted it all to be new.

if its a game i enjoy i put that much time in beta to test the game and try to give feedback on bugs and such(assumed thats what CB was for) not to just have an early "preview" of the game..

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

if its a game i enjoy i put that much time in beta to test the game and try to give feedback on bugs and such(assumed thats what CB was for) not to just have an early "preview" of the game..

If there were a mmo hall of fame, I WOULD nominate you, why because I don't see them saint'ing mmo players any time soon, otherwise I'd nominate you for that. I jest. :)

Another reason to play beta hard, is to learn exploits and race yourself to the top before the nerfs come to where you can never be touched. Now I don't say this negatively to you, but to every stupid mmo that falls for this over and over. You would think having tight slots out of the gate would make more sense, so exploits there doesn't make a 1% group for life and as they learn how the base is doing, then loosen it up, so the entire base enjoys the liberal offerings. But no, it will always be, get in first to get ungodly wealth before we snip those lines forever...

Originally posted by HorrorScope

If there were a mmo hall of fame, I won't nominate you, why because I don't see them saint'ing mmo players any time soon, otherwise I'd nominate you for that. I jest. :)

Another reason to play beta hard, is to learn exploits and race yourself to the top before the nerfs come to where you can never be touched. Now I don't say this negatively to you, but to every stupid mmo that falls for this over and over. You would think having tight slots out of the gate would make more sense, so exploits there doesn't make a 1% group for life and as they learn how the base is doing, then loosen it up, so the entire base enjoys the liberal offerings. But no, it will always be, get in first to get ungodly wealth before we snip those lines forever...

most MMOs i have tested which had these exploits in beta or shortly after launch rolled back or even banned the people using those exploits.. really never saw a point in exploiting an MMO i actually cared about playing..

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    don't think anyone expects this to be the best MMO eva:P but as long as combat is fun, classes are enjoyable, and foundry is well fleshed out i think it will have some good potential for many many hours of enjoyment

This is basically how I feel, though I'm worried about how much faith people are placing in the Foundry. My experience with player-made content is that it's never very good, and the handful of interesting stories people create are frequently buried under the plethora of easy farming maps people make instead. It's inevitable that, if they haven't already, Foundry rewards will end up nerfed to the point that doing that to get anything worthwhile will either be a grind or irrelevant entirely in order to avoid this, unless they go a completely different route with rewards (exclusive skins, more foundry options, etc). The problem there is there are many people who won't be happy if they're not actually getting stronger.

You just can't win with player-made content, someone is always going to try and take advantage of the system and ruin it for everyone else. This wouldn't be as huge a deal if Foundry was one small portion of the content, but it's increasingly becoming the 'star' of the game, with the rest of the content somewhat limited and only mildly interesting. The combat looks alright, but it doesn't look as good as TERA's combat, a game that bored me to tears by level 25 despite having some great combat mechanics.

I'm REALLY hoping I'm wrong and that NWO ends up some great jewel, I haven't had a Neverwinter fix since 2 and I miss that world. Right now though, I'm hesitant.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Is there any pvp at all in Neverwinter?

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

This is basically how I feel, though I'm worried about how much faith people are placing in the Foundry. My experience with player-made content is that it's never very good, and the handful of interesting stories people create are frequently buried under the plethora of easy farming maps people make instead. It's inevitable that, if they haven't already, Foundry rewards will end up nerfed to the point that doing that to get anything worthwhile will either be a grind or irrelevant entirely in order to avoid this, unless they go a completely different route with rewards (exclusive skins, more foundry options, etc). The problem there is there are many people who won't be happy if they're not actually getting stronger.

You just can't win with player-made content, someone is always going to try and take advantage of the system and ruin it for everyone else. This wouldn't be as huge a deal if Foundry was one small portion of the content, but it's increasingly becoming the 'star' of the game, with the rest of the content somewhat limited and only mildly interesting. The combat looks alright, but it doesn't look as good as TERA's combat, a game that bored me to tears by level 25 despite having some great combat mechanics.

I'm REALLY hoping I'm wrong and that NWO ends up some great jewel, I haven't had a Neverwinter fix since 2 and I miss that world. Right now though, I'm hesitant.

don't have specifics but they said there are several systems in place to prevent people from making "farming" maps.. i don't agree that player content is never very good.. for instance some of the best content in the elder scrolls games is player made..

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Sicc1
    Is there any pvp at all in Neverwinter?

Yes.  Disabled this weekend.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Does itemization/abilities/customization have a meta game. or is it the same straight forward "no need for a damage meter" type system?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"