Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprise, surprise. This game is terrible

Comments

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    fantasy themed global agenda...discuss
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

Be careful...  I think the same thing was said for Klingon content in STO.

Actually no it wasn't it was wishful thinking on the part of the fanbase of ST in general. they did add all the content that was max level for feds for the kdf but that happened prior to PW taking over.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

From what I saw, the only thing I was disappointed in was the character creation, but then I realized something.

THE GAME IS STILL IN BETA.

As soon as I realized this, I accepted that most of my problems will likely be remedied before the game is released.

What a pipe dream. People say this about every single game that is in beta. From all indication this game is close to release. You are not going to see anything substantial added to it between now and then. The bulk of betas these days are nothing more than hype machines. 

Now THAT is a pipe dream if I ever heard one.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Akumawraith
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

WTB Ranger class................really?

No Ranger?

dev stated that s in the works they didnt want to release everything all at once.. saving for future content release.

Soooooooooooo we release two fighters instead of a ranged DPS.

It may look like that, but given how all the classes can have different specializations, you might be able to turn the wizard and cleric into reliable dps classes (not as reliable as the ranger will be when they are released, but still reliable)

Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    Originally posted by Mondo80

How many classes do you need?  STO has 3, oh wait you guys hate that game and by proxy this one because Cryptic also made it.  EVE has one class that can do anything and probably less content than STO. 

If it's because it's free to play with an OPTIONAL cash shop that will most likely have a way to earn Zen in game, ...

It has not release yet.  Prejudging at this point is just stupid.

Name one good craptic game

Lets see now, there is Champions Online, Star Trek Online, City of Heroes/Villains (when it was still open).

That's all I can name, but coincidentally, those are all the games that Cryptic released.  Of course, if you don't like it, that's your opinion, but your opinion regarding whether or not it is the kind of game you want to play does not affect the quality of the game.  Please do not confuse these two in the future.

Originally posted by Fishmitts
    Originally posted by Fishmitts

Why take a beloved IP and DnD, make a game that has nothing to to do with either, and call it Neverwinter DnD? Dear god I ******* hate Cryptic, and after the STO **** up where two factions were gonna fight it out ********.. Instenced crap, I'm so pissed off I cant spell.

How does this **** **** company get all the great IP's? Dear god, imagine if they got the Elderscrolls. What a bat****goat****cataSTOphe that would be...

Ok, I feel better now..

i dont know where youre going with that diatribe but from what i heard and saw in several different site videos the devs of Cryptic involved in the Neverwinter project love forgotten realms, played the PnP version of it and consulted WotC to get things right. All the videos really show is one dungeon and as Bill explains in his dungeon post:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634/feature/7114/Delving-Into-The-Cloak-Tower-.html/page/1

They are very D&D oriented. the orcs are from the many-arrows tribe.. pretty much straight out of forgotten realms stories and recognizable by any who have followed the Forgotten realms.

as far as anything other than the dungeon.. well not much was shown. but thats what is so intrigueing.. They gave us a glimpse and let bits of information drop to the various press services involved. Im especially looking forward to the Foundry content and how itll affect the game directly.

Its the same SHITTY ASS ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!! This company LIED about STO and what it entailed. Period. I dont have a short memory, but I can see, many do. Cryptic=Suck. Edit: And I fully think you know where I'm going on this "Diatribe". Let's not play stupid.

Oh no, a game developer is making all of its games use the same engine that it created for its own personal use!  Oh the horror!

And what is wrong with the game engine?

Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by oubers
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

And you know this for a fact?

If not, i see just you starting a hypetrain......nothing more, nothing less.

Actually the lead Designer for Cryptic on Neverwinter stated clearly there will be more classes released in the future including the possibility of a ranger class and a plate wearing cleric. Whether they will be in patches or full blown expansions remains to be seen. of course if they put the new classes on the Cstore i wont complain.. a company needs to make money and the game is being given to players for free with no sub.

i am just saying that companies don't always deliver on what they say in beta.......prove me wrong.

I hope they can keep the fans happy.....personally i am not touching this game with a stick......not my kinda game.

(don't be confused....i didn't say this game sucks, i just stated that i dont like it.....that's all).

What about delivering on promises stated in interviews that explicitly state that more classes are in development and will be available shortly after release?

Originally posted by jdnyc

Of course they are going to add new classes and races.  They need things for people to spend money on:)

i expect a LoL business model on that end.

So is that a good thing or a bad thing?  I don't play LoL so I don't really know.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    We have to remember anything craptic touches is well crap. They ruined Star Trek remember? Placing D & D on an mmo and having it be nothing like D & D is a disgrace. It will be f2p quicker than CO and STO. Of course Bill Murphy will say its great, he has to until it releases so he can get ad revenues. Its why no one takes MMORPG.COMs previews seriously. Remember when they told us TSW and FFXIV were great?

Do you even know that Star trek online was considered the best free to play of 2012? Also the f2p version of CO was great, even now its population its quite high.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

I don't know whats more tragic: that this game is not even inspired by D&D rules or that they are actually placing the D&D label on a game with 5 classes total.......... Yep if you're the games supposed target audience you will be very disappointed, as Neverwinter has virtually no semblance of D&D in it.[mod edit]

However, if you want a bad combination of WoW and Tera, with far less content, you should be well satisfied. If you're throwing all your cards on the foundry you can expect it to be the most limited building experience you'll ever encounter given how limited the game is in general.

For once the mmorpg.com hype meter is correct dropping this game off the radar.

Umm... does themepark mean anything to you?

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Actually no it wasn't it was wishful thinking on the part of the fanbase of ST in general. they did add all the content that was max level for feds for the kdf but that happened prior to PW taking over.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=217322

This thread explains the broken promises and outright lies much better than I ever possibly could.

The thread includes the promises from Emmert right from the get go that were just not true.Just like the one I copied below.

August 10th, 2008 - At Gen Con Jack Emmert says: "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content."

Please do not say they make changes during development. We all know that happens. The truth is they made a lot of promises they could not back up and they never fully developed the Klingon content to this day.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Loving the game and theres so much content to be had.

Dare I say this is the end to the dreaded no  "end-game" scenarios.  I say yes.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by paulytheb

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=217322

This thread explains the broken promises and outright lies much better than I ever possibly could.

The thread includes the promises from Emmert right from the get go that were just not true.Just like the one I copied below.

August 10th, 2008 - At Gen Con Jack Emmert says: "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content."

Please do not say they make changes during development. We all know that happens. The truth is they made a lot of promises they could not back up and they never fully developed the Klingon content to this day.

Great rebuttal, you beat me to the post.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Rider071
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Digirono
    Originally posted by Nadia

Fighter. Wizard. Rogue. Ranger. Cleric

- seems reasonable for launch

when D&D launched in 1974 as "Men and Magic" it had 3 classes -- fighting man, magic user, cleric

Greyhawk in 1975 added 2 clasees, Paladin and Thief

the D&D of today has dozens of classes

as others have posted, more classes will get added to NWN over time

+1 to this, not many people understand that D&D didn't always have 10+ classes with subclasses in those. That trend really only started after Wizards of the Coast "Stole" Gygax's version of D&D(The entire 2nd edition of D&D was that, to make the seperation, in my opinion). I have hopes for this game, although it is a Cryptic game and also a Perfect World Entertainment game. Will try it out at least when it launches.

That's all fine and good, but how long will the launch classes be the only classes? Which ones will they add and when? And of course there is the burning question WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU LAUNCH A GAME NOWADAYS WITH ONLY A FEW CLASSES?

Santayana is laughing.

History lessons about PnP aside (1974 laughably came up in this discussion), this game is hitting the MMO market. Launching an instance heavy game with minimal classes is entering the cave without your 50' of rope.

I'm ok with that, as I always forgot to buy the damn rope.

and died.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I bet they will add few more classes after  month and to play them we will need to pay 10-20 bucks to unlock. Then another 5 bucks to unlock character slot. And then another few bucks to unlock bag slots and whatever is there is the cash shop ^^

PW ftw

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by mazut

I bet they will add few more classes after  month and to play them we will need to pay 10-20 bucks to unlock. Then another 5 bucks to unlock character slot. And then another few bucks to unlock bag slots and whatever is there is the cash shop ^^

PW ftw

And don't forget they will likely be overpowered so more people will but them, shifting the game into pay to win mode if it doesn't launch that way anyways. But like I said, the game has a good possibility of entertaining you if you're bored of GW2. However if you want a game that gives you any sort of D&D feel this is likely a terrible choice.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I try new games, plenty of them: SPG and MMO. Tried two new MMOs in the last month, and they were both garbage. And a couple other F2Ps and they likewise had some severe short comings, that were... what a surprise... totally missed/omitted by the various writers doing the preview/review/first look/whatever else BS. At least I did not end up having to buy a box for any of them it turns out, but if you "believed the hype" and they had had a box, it would have been wasted money.

And that is what really pisses me off: seeing a whole bunch of hyped up sunshiny stuff and then having the game suck. The reviewers/writers missed all the crappy mechanics? The same quests for the Nth time? The same game for the Nth time? The shallow game play? The mediocrity? And everything else? Really? 

So try whatever games you want, I do. 

But at this point, I never, ever buy a box for a game based on the "professional reviews" I see on this site and others. It can't be believed that these so-called "professional game reviewers" miss all the things, in many recent games, that caused the games to crash and burn after 2-3 months after having bunches of articles praise them to the skies. 

So what is it? Personally, I think they try to find things to like and are probably encouraged to "accentuate the positive aspects" and "minimize the negative ones" in their preview/review.  This place is little more than a thinly veiled MMO advertisement site after all.

So the writers find a few enjoyable things in Game X (and you pretty much always can) and write about those, but that does not make Game X worth playing/paying for, or even a good game. 

And it certainly does not help the consumer.

I see MMORPG as a mini city in the sea of mmos, where we can talk about new mmos. If you yourself like a game, you're going to rave about it, yes? Welcome to mmorpg, there's a ton of folk like that here, and a ton of trolls waiting to try and rip them down.

As far as the reviewers, have you watched First Impressions? RipperX is fair, but he has his own unique way of doing things, it's always more of a showcase and entertainment moreso than 'serious buisness'.

Other reviewers I actually have seen in game well after their reviews, so I seriously call into question your opinion, for I truly believe they, like us, are gamers just having fun in games they enjoy. That's not payolla, they are allowed to be gamers when they aren't working aren't they?

I also have yet to see a reviewer hide a bug, or bad news of any sort. They seem to call things out regularly and have been pretty honest with us.

The only thing I can comment on about mmorpg negatively is recently I have been given a warning (which I am appealing) for the first time in so many years here. I think the forum trolls are actually having an affect on our mods, or something else is amiss, but hopefully there are mods for the mods. I'm honestly perfectly fine just watching mmorpg from my youtube account never to visit this site again if the powers here lose control.  Regardless, I think the reviewers are some of the best in the business here at mmorpg.

The MMOFTW Live streams when they invite devs to sit in with them is some of the best viewing I have seen in years, it's full of info and entertainment. The MMORPG Livestream of Neverwinter's dungeon crawl recently was also a great show of what this game is going to be about.

Then for the sake of clarity, how can you explain away the treatment TOR got here at MMORPG.com and other sites, with literally over 100 different articles at this site alone and all but one were very positive in tone (especially the bit in red)? The writers "liked" TOR so much, that they pounded out 100+ articles here and totally missed the boat? And , no mention was made of the failings that were obviously there, that made 1.5-2 mil customers quit in the first several months? (And yes, the writers are paid for feature articles) Yeah....

That many people do not quit a game for no reason, and the reasons were there, or that many people would not have quit. And yet, none were mentioned by any writer and the hype train rolled on and on.  That isn't coincidence, that is policy.

No gaming site bites the wallet that feeds them, and this place is no exception. 

And that is why "professional reviews" can't be trusted now, if they ever could.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Game looks, runs and plays great considering it's F2P and currently in beta.

I would prefer more fluid non-Tera combat rooted in place, but it's personal preference after all. It does require more positioning, so it's a bit different if you're used to GW2 combat.

What worries me is the lack of replayability due to no alternative leveling zones so far. So basically every character you level, goes through the same quests. I'm not sure that Foundry will be able to reduce this issue.

I'm excited to see how they implement PVP. If they manage to pull it off decently, this game might be a sleeper hit due to it's cost/benefit ratio.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Then for the sake of clarity, how can you explain away the treatment TOR got here at MMORPG.com and other sites, with literally over 100 different articles at this site alone and all but one were very positive in tone (especially the bit in red)? The writers "liked" TOR so much, that they pounded out 100+ articles here and totally missed the boat? And , no mention was made of the failings that were obviously there, that made 1.5-2 mil customers quit in the first several months? (And yes, the writers are paid for feature articles) Yeah....

That many people do not quit a game for no reason, and the reasons were there, or that many people would not have quit. And yet, none were mentioned by any writer and the hype train rolled on and on.  That isn't coincidence, that is policy.

No gaming site bites the wallet that feeds them, and this place is no exception. 

And that is why "professional reviews" can't be trusted now, if they ever could.

I normally do not buy a game because of reviews. I treat reviews as a source of information to help make an informed decision. I also definitely wouldn't pin the success or failure of a game on a reviewer and not the actual game company making/distributing the game in question, that's a bit absurd.

I like the streams so far from what I have seen on NeverWinter, and am looking forward from input of those playing this first closed beta. Will it solely impact my decision to play? No. Will I enjoy listening to their input and use it to help shape my decision later on? very likely.

Reviews are edutainment. Reviewers who honestly believe their reviews will force folk to either buy or not buy games (god complex) are reviewers I tend not to watch, as they are not entertaining in the least.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by DeniZg

Game looks, runs and plays great considering it's F2P and currently in beta.

It is not half as bad as that makes it sound. Only being heavily instanced sucks, but that wont change when it becomes P2P or leaves beta.

It takes one to know one.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by Mondo80

How many classes do you need?  STO has 3, oh wait you guys hate that game and by proxy this one because Cryptic also made it.  EVE has one class that can do anything and probably less content than STO. 

If it's because it's free to play with an OPTIONAL cash shop that will most likely have a way to earn Zen in game, ...

It has not release yet.  Prejudging at this point is just stupid.

Name one good craptic game

Lets see now, there is Champions Online, Star Trek Online, City of Heroes/Villains (when it was still open).

That's all I can name, but coincidentally, those are all the games that Cryptic released.  Of course, if you don't like it, that's your opinion, but your opinion regarding whether or not it is the kind of game you want to play does not affect the quality of the game.  Please do not confuse these two in the future.

Most people would probably debate you on the merits of those mentioned games.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Actually, YES it was.

From Jack Emmert, CEO of Craptic.

"So, what will the Klingon faction really be? Emmert insists that it is a full fledged faction within the game and not just a glorified version of Lord of the Rings Online’s Monster Play. "

"To those who are disappointed, he promised them that what is there at launch is only the basis for more to come."

Source - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/feature/3847/Star-Trek-Online-Jack-Emmert-Talks-Klingons.html

And dont even get me started on all the comment that Mr. Stahl made in reference to adding Klingon content when he took over the first time.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

If you are looking for a lobby MMO which is heavily instanced and combat is faster paced like Guild Wars 2 and you can log on and complete a dungeon in an hour or less then you will probably like this game.  I am not sure why you will stop plaing Guild Wars 2, or LOTRO, or TERA, or EQ2, or WOW, or one of the other 300 MMOs that are basically the same as this game.

If you are looking for an actual world, some type of meaningful PVP, crafter based economy with the aility to shape and modifiy the world all taking place in the Forgotten Realms....well, dont bother with this game.  There is no game like that.

When this game was announced, and looking at both companies involved (Cryptic and PWE) most people assumed it was going to be a WOW clone or a GW2 clone.  Those people are right.

This is how I am feeling about this game right now. To call this game a D&D game is shameful. Except for the location and classes there is little about this game that will play like D&D. I admit the combat looks fun, but it is just a newer version of DDO with better combat from what I have seen. When I think of a good D&D MMO I would at least like to see one of the core of a D&D game and that is the alignment system. Choices made change the outcome of the world and environment around you. At this present time I just do not see enough of a D&D feel to the game to make me play much. The fact that it is heavy on the instanced zones is a huge turn off also.

• jadiusmaxjadiusmax Member UncommonPosts: 31
    We have to remember anything craptic touches is well crap. They ruined Star Trek remember? Placing D & D on an mmo and having it be nothing like D & D is a disgrace. It will be f2p quicker than CO and STO. Of course Bill Murphy will say its great, he has to until it releases so he can get ad revenues. Its why no one takes MMORPG.COMs previews seriously. Remember when they told us TSW and FFXIV were great?

Um...it IS free to play...and have you played TSW? TSW is great...just different.

Good post.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

I don't know whats more tragic: that this game is not even inspired by D&D rules or that they are actually placing the D&D label on a game with 5 classes total.......... Yep if you're the games supposed target audience you will be very disappointed, as Neverwinter has virtually no semblance of D&D in it.[mod edit]

However, if you want a bad combination of WoW and Tera, with far less content, you should be well satisfied. If you're throwing all your cards on the foundry you can expect it to be the most limited building experience you'll ever encounter given how limited the game is in general.

For once the mmorpg.com hype meter is correct dropping this game off the radar.

Ye when i saw the 5 classes and the free aim combat i was totaly dissapointed.

The point is that if they want to release a successful dnd game they should have all the classes from the beggining plus some prestige classes and of course multiclassing available and all of that on a seamless world without instances and shit.

On the free aim matter i was never been a fan of this.Ddo was enough to make me regret playing that kind of combat.

Another big let down is the few skills available in combat.If i want to play a game with 6 skills on my character i would rather play a moba style game.