Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just finished the D3 starter edition...

ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

...and I really enjoyed it. I don't know how anyone could say PoE is better. I have been playing PoE since I became a supporter a few months ago, and I must say, PoE has no story compared to D3.

D3 grabbed me at the start and I lost track of time playing it. Anyway...I like it very much.

I will be buying the upgrade pay day.

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Thorkune

...and I really enjoyed it. I don't know how anyone could say PoE is better. I have been playing PoE since I became a supporter a few months ago, and I must say, PoE has no story compared to D3.

D3 grabbed me at the start and I lost track of time playing it. Anyway...I like it very much.

I will admit that the 4th part of the story cinamatic where diablo was at the gates of heaven was about the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a game, the rest sucked..  That scene gave me huge chills.. Pure epic!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Diablo 3 doesn't start to completely fail until you hit max level inferno difficulty.

ONce you get to that point you do nothing but farm act 3. While farming act 3 you obtain nothing for your own character. Its all loot to sell on the AH...

In comparison Path of Exile offers a map system. You can run over 50 randomly generated map, Not only are monsters and chest placement random but monsters types are random. You can run the same tileset map and each time its occupied with different monster types.

Path of exile is also increadibly rewarding. Every time you play you gain something that benefits your character, be it Xp for that next skill point, quest reward, item or spell drop or crafting material. 

Diablo 3 simply feels like a waste of time when compared to PoE. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Path of exile is also increadibly rewarding. Every time you play you gain something that benefits your character, be it Xp for that next skill point, quest reward, item or spell drop or crafting material. 

It was too boring to me. And...I couldn't stand the camera angle on some maps. You couldn't see anything ahead of you. I looked everywhere in the options for a tweak, but couldn't find anything to fix camera rotation.

It was too boring to me. And...I couldn't stand the camera angle on some maps. You couldn't see anything ahead of you. I looked everywhere in the options for a tweak, but couldn't find anything to fix camera rotation.

Thats amazing that you could be bored of a game and Ive never had an issue with camera angles...

Just wait until you farm D3  act 3 for 15 hours and get nothing worthwhile... We will see if you are bored then. 

You seem to have very little experience with either game. You will learn the hard way.

Unless you just play through these games once? if so i would tell you to not waste your time... much better experiences around if you only plan on clearing a campaign one time.

Thats amazing that you could be bored of a game and Ive never had an issue with camera angles...

Just wait until you farm act 3 for 15 hours and get nothing worthwhile... We will see if you are bored then. 

You seem to have very little experience with either game. You will learn the hard way.

I have been playing PoE for months. I am sorry that I don't like it, but to each his own. I may not like D3 later, but I will be buying it just the same.

Just wait until you farm act 3 for 15 hours and get nothing worthwhile... We will see if you are bored then. 

I have been playing PoE for months. I am sorry that I don't like it, but to each his own. I may not like D3 later, but I will be buying it just the same.

You've been playing a game for months that bored you? Seems kind of silly...

Anyway enjoy just dont come back here in a month bitching about D3s fail endgame... garbage drops, unrewarding gameplay.  You've been warned.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I think D3 has a better story though it is still somewhat cliche. Then again, so is POE's.  The replayability in D3 lacks a little though due to the scarce use of random generated maps.  I think most of the random maps are used for some of the indoor "dungeons" and random caves.  However, pretty much all of the overland maps never change so once you know how to get from point A to point B the "exploration" part is pretty much done.  In D2 I used to intentionally uncover/map each area I went to.  I found myself doing the same in POE, however in D3 there is no point in doing that unless you want to clear all the mobs.  There are on occasion random events that don't always show up on the maps on every play through in D3, but after leveling a couple of toons into the 40-50 range I got tired of looking for them becuase the map layouts never changed.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Anyway enjoy just dont come back here in a month bitching about D3s fail endgame... garbage drops, unrewarding gameplay.  You've been warned.

I've wasted money on games before, and I'm sure D3 won't be the last. I would rather pay for something I like vs. something that is boring to me.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I've wasted money on games before, and I'm sure D3 won't be the last. I would rather pay for something I like vs. something that is boring to me.

Seriously dude, we did warn you. I also enjoyed the game the first time through, however it quickly degenerates into trudging through uninspiring levels and getting terrible terrible loot. I've yet to try PoE but I am willing to give it a try, the only thing putting me off PoE is the copy of the sphere grid.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Magnetia

Seriously dude, we did warn you. I also enjoyed the game the first time through, however it quickly degenerates into trudging through uninspiring levels and getting terrible terrible loot. I've yet to try PoE but I am willing to give it a try, the only thing putting me off PoE is the copy of the sphere grid.

What is this "sphere grid" ?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

D3 is well worth the price of admission.  I leveled up 4 diff classes to 60 and played a fair bit of inferno with my witch doctor before giving it up.  That's a lot of game time.

I remember people posting all over the general forums complaining that it got old after 200 hours.  200 hours!  I mean you should consider yourself lucky to get anywhere near that out of a 60 dollar investment.  People wanted it to be more, and it's no D2, but anyone who thinks it's wasted money is out of their minds.

Honestly I've only put maybe 20 hours or less into PoE and have gotten quite annoyed with it.  I probably played TL2 for 40.  I would have played it more but none of my friends would play it and having beaten it a couple times, it too got old.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

I feel sad for you, because the starter parts are the ****only**** awesome parts of the game.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Aori
    300 hours played, $2000.. i got my moneys worth then.

7$ an hour is barely passable for most forms of entertainment.  For video games, it is abysmal.   I beg to differ on the idea that you got your money's worth, considering that almost every form of entertainment is MUCH cheaper.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

If I end up not liking D3, I will come back and tell you so you guys can give me the"I told you so".
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    If I end up not liking D3, I will come back and tell you so you guys can give me the"I told you so".

D3 is a good game IMO and well worth the money for a couple of play throughs. Will it last you for the next 5 years? probably not, but that seems to be what most people judge a game by these days.

I played D3 for around 100 hours or so, and felt it was money well spent on the purchase. Then again I dont need a game to last me 1000s of hours to consider it good.

Far Cry 3 was an amaxing game to me and well worth the $60, I finished it around 30 hours or so. So goes the same with D3 IMO.

My 2cp

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

If you could stomach months of PoE I bet you will be happy with Diablo 3. It's a good game and I still play it from time to time, but you know... it's so cool around here to hate Blizzard.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• davinci179davinci179 Member Posts: 13
    I am not sure why so many people have complained about D3 especially "the all you do is farm comment" that is exactly what Diablo is was and will always be. Perhaps gamers now are spoiled but max gearing a character in less then a month from all the new directions of MMO's I don't know. I do know is countless hours of farming a spent in the original and even more so in the second. In the second one it was the same way you seemed to get loot for alts more often then your own character. 
    Originally posted by jdnewell

D3 is a good game IMO and well worth the money for a couple of play throughs. Will it last you for the next 5 years? probably not, but that seems to be what most people judge a game by these days.

I played D3 for around 100 hours or so, and felt it was money well spent on the purchase. Then again I dont need a game to last me 1000s of hours to consider it good.

Far Cry 3 was an amaxing game to me and well worth the $60, I finished it around 30 hours or so. So goes the same with D3 IMO.

My 2cp

That's all I ever hope for in a game anyway. I am looking forward to playing it.

Originally posted by Krematory

If you could stomach months of PoE I bet you will be happy with Diablo 3. It's a good game and I still play it from time to time, but you know... it's so cool around here to hate Blizzard.

I don't know why that is either. I got burned out on WoW, but I wouldn't bash Blizzard for it since I got many good years of game play.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Thing is, PoE AND Diablo 3 have pretty weak stories. The difference is Diablo 3 throws the story in your face and forces it upon you. It makes a lot of poor choices in its design process. I don't really expect story in an ARPG to much and the fact D3 really pushes it on you and its such a lack luster story really helps to make it look just that much more god aweful. If they didn't make the story jut out like a thorn, it wouldn't even be something I'd complain about, but the fact its forced on you so much only helped to tarnish it.

Polish? Yeah, diablo 3 has more polish as to be expected by a big funded game. I don't think you can find anyone however who would be ignorant enough to claim Diablo 3 has better mechanics then Path of Exile however, a lot of the diablo 3 inner workers are quite poorly done. Don't get me wrong, Diablo 3 can be a fun mindless experience when I'm bored at times looking for a nice polished and fancy experience, but Path of Exile is a far superior ARPG experience in having in depth gameplay providing a traditional ARPG experience that can be enjoyed through several characters. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    They r not mutually exclusive. You can like both like i do.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Just to explain about the randomness of D3.

Overland 

The bounderies of the over land are fixed as are certain assets such as a bridge or a major encampment but many parts of the interia is random in that an enemy camp will be there sometimes and other times not, a clump of tree's or obsticals be there on one run and not another, an over turned cart with a band of enemies be there on one run and not another, dungeon entrances will move about, some dungeons will be closed on one run and on another be open, chests spawn in different locations every run, treasure goblins move about, locations of elite mobs change and so on.

So there is randomness in the overland, you'd need to play through it many times to see all the dungeons and events it offers.

Dungeons

These are random in layout, mobs, chests, events as you'd expect.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by expresso

Just to explain about the randomness of D3.

Overland 

The bounderies of the over land are fixed as are certain assets such as a bridge or a major encampment but many parts of the interia is random in that an enemy camp will be there sometimes and other times not, a clump of tree's or obsticals be there on one run and not another, an over turned cart with a band of enemies be there on one run and not another, dungeon entrances will move about, some dungeons will be closed on one run and on another be open, chests spawn in different locations every run, treasure goblins move about, locations of elite mobs change and so on.

So there is randomness in the overland, you'd need to play through it many times to see all the dungeons and events it offers.

Dungeons

These are random in layout, mobs, chests, events as you'd expect.

The events are fixed though. There are a fixed number of them, and they are all the same. However, when the zone is randomly generated, the events are randomly turned on an off. If an event is there, it is always the same.