Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Beta Weekends and Founders' Packs Detailed

12345679»

Comments

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Yay! More "come help us test our game and while you're at it, give us your money too" betas.

Why the fuck people put up with this crap I honestly don't know.

I don't kow either bu as long as there are people that are willing to pay to beta test, these companies will continue to do this type of thing.  It's a shame really, but that's just my opinion.

At least one person here gets it. Kudos.

But you are living under a rock since 2008. The world has changed a lot since the infinite loans from banks/publishers.

Kickstarter and Founder's packs are a good idea.

Or complete scams, value for your money is in question here an assesments are that the value is not where it should be.  And really don't compare kickstarter packs to these sice 1. game is already developed and 2. Cryptic does an autrocious job in the PR dept since the only think you would have down is thrown away your money due to lack of community relations Cryptic has demostrated.

I want the game, and still on the fence with the guardian pack.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    I'm really tempted to buy 60$ pack, because I really like the announced game features and "beta" opportunity. But on second thought, paying upfront for F2P game seems completely absurd. Anyone else feeling the same?

The opposite, I feel akward playing a free MMO, after years of paying subsciption MMOs.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

This is what I told Cryptic:

Sorry Cryptic, your $200 price tag does not include a ZEN stipend for NWO, and considering how you revoked the Priority Login for STO Lifetimers, I can't even consider purchasing this deal.

In my opinion, if PWE/Cryptic wants $200, they should at least bundle what you get according to their past offerings, i.e. the CO/STO Lifetime deals that are actually still being sold as I write this!

• PyxxPyxx Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Way to expensive for founders packs... what is this new BS where companies make us pay to supposedly beta test?

You're really just paying for early access, guaranteed beta time, and a few perks.  If you can wait, might as well!  It'll be F2P after all.

I can understand a 60$ founder pack. It's kind of like buying a ps3 game or buying the client if you will but 200$ is just retarded

The $200 pack is obviously not meant for everyone, which is why there are three tiers to the program. I'm not sure why people react this way every time a new game announces a pack like this. Think back to any MMO you've ever played, didn't you know that 'one guy' who always played? Even when you took a break for six months and came back? He'd still be there happily playing like it was the first month of launch.

That's the player who will be interested in the top-tier pack. It's not like PWE (or any other game offering this sort of thing) is only offering a single high priced tier.  No one's forcing you to buy the thing. The fact of the matter is that game development costs real money and being able to guarantee some sort of upfront revenue is pretty attractive, especially when you're giving away the game for free. I think offering excited and dedicated fans some additional value in exchange for an upfront cost can be a real win-win for both parties involved when done well.

Have at it if you want to criticize the actual content:value ratio of this particular pack (or any other), but I think the kneejerk scoffing at the price of these high-tier packs and $150 Collector Editions is honestly a bit silly.

You may think it's a bit silly, and sure that "one person" may have no life and enjoy playing mmo's like there is no tomorrow. However people are getting either really smart these days or really stupid. Putting real value on virtual items is already a commodity within itself. Just from the way that mmo's have been progressing for the last decade. However it's the rough times that people are going through with the way that the economy is today, and the only thing that Video Game Companies and developers can do is feed off the those who are willing to pay their honest earned money for a way to get away from the reality of things. The reality is this; Not everyone is going to give in to companies who strive themselves on draining the pockets of those who want to play thier product. But there are still those who will give in and succumb to the prices due to their lack of willpower or resolve. The ideal of a video game becoming more important to a person than real life is beyond me. However I know that people do enjoy them, and thus creating a whole new world for them to escape to.

Personally speaking, not trying to be biased, but if a company is going to offer prices such as this, then at least keep the packages in-line with what they are offering in the previous packages. If I was to shell out $200.00 for the Highest package then I would expect to get everything in the previous 2 packages plus what they were offering in the highest package deal.

Some players are right to their opinion, afterall, it is their opinions. Players should be able to chose rather or not if they want to play or pay to play in this case. But I would rather players be happy with a game versus, shelling out money for a game then in turn not liking it and wanting a refund; only to get turned down by the company and then be out of luck.

Here's what I would suggest, Offer your 3 packages, but also offer the Beta for a limited amount of time. If they are able to get in beta, and they like what they see then they can buy the packages of whatever choosing they will. But if they don't like the game; then no harm, no foul. Players shouldn't be obligated to pay for Beta Access, and I think that's what majority people here were saying. With a $200.00 package that's almost like paying for a Collector's Edition, and then some.

Let's say that they don't get into Beta, the game is out, and they were not able to check the game out but yet they still want the high priced package deal. So then they miss out on the Early Access, but at least they are still getting the items they want and as a company you're still getting paid. (I know mmorpg.com is not the company, I'm just speaking in general)

The sign of times are here, and people are too blinded by what they want to see and what's really going on in the world. It's a sad day in deed. I just wish some people would open their eyes and see what really matters to them instead of just ignoring the truth of today's world. Video Games are popular in deed, but not enough to take the place of someone's electricity bill or Car payment. I've got only one word for these types of  companies, BOYCOTT.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Pyxx

Way to expensive for founders packs... what is this new BS where companies make us pay to supposedly beta test?

You're really just paying for early access, guaranteed beta time, and a few perks.  If you can wait, might as well!  It'll be F2P after all.

I can understand a 60$ founder pack. It's kind of like buying a ps3 game or buying the client if you will but 200$ is just retarded

The $200 pack is obviously not meant for everyone, which is why there are three tiers to the program. I'm not sure why people react this way every time a new game announces a pack like this. Think back to any MMO you've ever played, didn't you know that 'one guy' who always played? Even when you took a break for six months and came back? He'd still be there happily playing like it was the first month of launch.

That's the player who will be interested in the top-tier pack. It's not like PWE (or any other game offering this sort of thing) is only offering a single high priced tier.  No one's forcing you to buy the thing. The fact of the matter is that game development costs real money and being able to guarantee some sort of upfront revenue is pretty attractive, especially when you're giving away the game for free. I think offering excited and dedicated fans some additional value in exchange for an upfront cost can be a real win-win for both parties involved when done well.

Have at it if you want to criticize the actual content:value ratio of this particular pack (or any other), but I think the kneejerk scoffing at the price of these high-tier packs and $150 Collector Editions is honestly a bit silly.

You may think it's a bit silly, and sure that "one person" may have no life and enjoy playing mmo's like there is no tomorrow. However people are getting either really smart these days or really stupid. Putting real value on virtual items is already a commodity within itself. Just from the way that mmo's have been progressing for the last decade. However it's the rough times that people are going through with the way that the economy is today, and the only thing that Video Game Companies and developers can do is feed off the those who are willing to pay their honest earned money for a way to get away from the reality of things. The reality is this; Not everyone is going to give in to companies who strive themselves on draining the pockets of those who want to play thier product. But there are still those who will give in and succumb to the prices due to their lack of willpower or resolve. The ideal of a video game becoming more important to a person than real life is beyond me. However I know that people do enjoy them, and thus creating a whole new world for them to escape to.

Personally speaking, not trying to be biased, but if a company is going to offer prices such as this, then at least keep the packages in-line with what they are offering in the previous packages. If I was to shell out $200.00 for the Highest package then I would expect to get everything in the previous 2 packages plus what they were offering in the highest package deal.

Some players are right to their opinion, afterall, it is their opinions. Players should be able to chose rather or not if they want to play or pay to play in this case. But I would rather players be happy with a game versus, shelling out money for a game then in turn not liking it and wanting a refund; only to get turned down by the company and then be out of luck.

Here's what I would suggest, Offer your 3 packages, but also offer the Beta for a limited amount of time. If they are able to get in beta, and they like what they see then they can buy the packages of whatever choosing they will. But if they don't like the game; then no harm, no foul. Players shouldn't be obligated to pay for Beta Access, and I think that's what majority people here were saying. With a $200.00 package that's almost like paying for a Collector's Edition, and then some.

Let's say that they don't get into Beta, the game is out, and they were not able to check the game out but yet they still want the high priced package deal. So then they miss out on the Early Access, but at least they are still getting the items they want and as a company you're still getting paid. (I know mmorpg.com is not the company, I'm just speaking in general)

The sign of times are here, and people are too blinded by what they want to see and what's really going on in the world. It's a sad day in deed. I just wish some people would open their eyes and see what really matters to them instead of just ignoring the truth of today's world. Video Games are popular in deed, but not enough to take the place of someone's electricity bill or Car payment. I've got only one word for these types of  companies, BOYCOTT.

This is the model used by MMOMagic and the game they are working on called Citadel of Sorcery..

Depending on the founder package you pay for you also recieve all the packages that come before it. I believe this is a fair system that uses the term "you get what you pay for".

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by bigcheeseuk

Wow another P2β game

I'll pass thanks.

It is still free to play, you still get a chance to beta for free.

you going with the flow of stupid comments, or did you put in some thought?

I think you just followed the other Lemmings.

Wahhh

you made me cry :'(

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    i bet this game is made with the very same tool they used for sto and the very same idea of from one box to another box progression.. lmao more foundry options.. it just waters the community feeling down and retracts from emmersion

only a crazy person would pay for beta access.. its a testing phase!!! they need testers. i will not ever pay to test. it also better be as good as the orriginal nwn series.. i doubt it will be as no game today beats it predecessor.
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
     I can't even get an answer of why my STO account was banned when I tried to go back after a 3 month hiatus, there is no way in hell I'll give these fuggers any of my money.
  • OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I will wait till it goes free to play. Not pay to be in beta thanks.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

As Neverwinter gears up for launch, the teams at Cryptic and Perfect World announced today three beta weekend events, plus a slew of founders' packs that come with a host of extra incentives on top of beta access for each weekend, and early access to the upcoming Open Beta.

Info courtesy of Kotaku:

Scheduled for February 8-10, March 8-10, and March 22-24, the beta weekends will let thousands of players get a taste of the game before its Open Beta launch later this year.  The team also announced its plans for the game's Founders program, with three distinct levels of buy-in:

Neverwinter Starter Kit:

The Neverwinter Starter Kit  costs $19.99 USD (valued at $49.00) and supplies adventurers with  virtual consumable goods to aid them in their quest for glory:

• ‘Adventurer’s Helper Pack’ containing six different types of in-game items
    • ‘Small Bag of Holding’ for twelve extra inventory slots
    • ‘Amulet of Protection’ item

Guardian of Neverwinter Pack:

The Guardian of  Neverwinter Pack  costs $59.99 USD (valued at $149.00). In addition to guaranteed entry to all three Beta Weekends, the pack also includes VIP beta perks, and a variety of in-game items exclusive to  ounder’s Pack purchasers, including: 

• Three-day head start access to Neverwinter Open Beta
    • Unique ‘Gold Moonstone Mask Regalia’ head piece
    • Unique ‘Armored Horse’ mount
    • Unique ‘Direwolf Companion’
    • In-game and forum ‘Founder’ title

Hero of the North Founder’s Pack:

For the ultimate Neverwinter experience, the Hero of the North Founder’s Pack costs $199.99 USD (valued at $549.00). It guarantees entry to all three Beta Weekends,  includes VIP access to Moonstone Mask Tavern, early access  to The Foundry (Neverwinter’s user-generated content creation tool), fifteen additional in-game items, plus features the following  exclusive items that are only available through the Founders’ Pack program:

• Five-day head start access to Neverwinter Open Beta
    • Beta Weekend Friend Invite code
    • Exclusive access to ‘Menzoberranzan Renegade’, a drow playable race like the legendary ranger Drizzt Do’Urden, complete with unique racial abilities and tattoo
    • Unique ‘Armored Spider’ mount 
    • Unique ‘Panther Companion’
    • In-game and forum ‘Founder’ title
    • VIP Game Access to skip-the-line and get priority log-in access

Read about Neverwinter at Neverwinter's Official Site.

LMAO, love how Cryptic markets P2P prices for a F2P game. ( oh btw  the exact same marketing they used for CO and STO , we all know how that turned out,. If you don't you should research it. ) Over estimates values and then tells you what a deal this is. What makes it even funnier is that they offer all these perks and items that 'll eventually be selling in the C-Store. IMO stay away from Cryptic/PWI games they are the used car salesmen of the gaming industry. I guarantee you'll end up with a lemon. Remember lemon laws don't apply to games.

• reticle2020reticle2020 Member CommonPosts: 4

I have to agree.  They are not forcing you to purchase these packages.  Since the game is set to be F2P there will be no immediate revenue for a game that has been in development for 3 years, a little boost from some founders packs can help them.  

• reticle2020reticle2020 Member CommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Adamai
    i bet this game is made with the very same tool they used for sto and the very same idea of from one box to another box progression.. lmao more foundry options.. it just waters the community feeling down and retracts from emmersion

only a crazy person would pay for beta access.. its a testing phase!!! they need testers. i will not ever pay to test. it also better be as good as the orriginal nwn series.. i doubt it will be as no game today beats it predecessor.

This is not NWN, nor is it a sequel to NVW, in fact there is no relation outside of the World Setting.  You WILL be disappointed because you obviously haven't bothered to read up about the game!

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by reticle2020
    Originally posted by Adamai

This is not NWN, nor is it a sequel to NVW, in fact there is no relation outside of the World Setting.  You WILL be disappointed because you obviously haven't bothered to read up about the game!

I'd say he has a very good grasp of what the game will be. Cryptic games vary very little. CoX --> CO ---> STO ---> NW . It's a pretty safe presumption that the progression will be consistent. If you'd bother to play 2 of the 3 previous releases you'd see that.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    So the new scam is 200 bucks up front and hope the game is good.  This is kind of like buying the lifetime in lotro for 199.  Not giving them doday until I see what it looks like in beta.  Once burrened was enough.    So that makes 2 games now that got this 200 buck founders thing going.  
  • HjortronHjortron Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by redcap036

A few questions; 

Q) what is the, " Moonstone Mask Tavern" about and why do I need VIP acess to it?

Q) Five-day head start access to Neverwinter Open Beta, why would I need this?

it's only open beta, surly I would want Five-day head start access to Neverwinter Opening day, maybe it's a typo?

thanks for any answers.

1.  I'm gonna assume it works like the VIP area in SWTOR did.  Your account gets flagged and you get to go in there and socialize.  There may even be a special gera merchant that will allow VIPs to buy special skins, but that's just a guess.

2.  Not sure but you may be right.

You guys are confused  200$ pack give:

[quote]• Five-day head start access to Neverwinter Open Beta
    • Beta Weekend Friend Invite code
    • Exclusive access to ‘Menzoberranzan Renegade', a Drow playable race like the legendary ranger Drizzt Do'Urden, complete with unique racial abilities and tattoo
    • Unique ‘Armored Spider' mount
    • Unique ‘Panther Companion'
    • In-game and forum ‘Founder' title
    • VIP Game Access to skip-the-line and get priority log-in access[/quote]

Read carefully BY VIP they mean you skip to the head of the line on login if there a line up to get in game.

It states in the description that there is VIP to the tavern.  Go back and read the paragraph above the list.  I'd copy it but I'm on an iPad and copy/pasting gets touchy.  There is also early access to the foundry.

I'm pretty active in the NW forum and it doesn't say that there, Cmpinpointerror an actual dev was busy updating info their for awhile.

Even here at kotaku they don't mention any VIP tavern, thinking maybe the info here at mmorpg is wrong.

Asm0deus

About the VIP Tavern, please check the Hero of the North link where Perfect World states, among the rest:

"Moonstone Regular - Access the VIP section of the Moonstone Mask Tavern (account unlock)"

• OpeabiaOpeabia Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Yes me too 
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Little short on cash, gonna have to wait until release for this one it looks like.