Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[PC] Should RPGs like Skyrim and Witcher have Co-Op (own view)

sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

I think so. I always feel bored when I'm playing alone, but I like the game much. What a dilemma, eh. So I play them a little, but I don't have anyone to talk with about the game and figuring out what to do together.

Single player (no Co-Op) games will no longer scratch my wallet. With all the piracy and stuff, developers better add Co-Op feature.

Comments

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    This is one of those features that you can literally apply to any game and not be worse off. It must be difficult to design as very few games actually allow Co-op when; in fact, they all should.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Yes, they should have co-op mode.  It ain't never gonna happen with any single player  ES game.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

Skyrim = definatly No

witcher = i could care less but..

since the majority (and thats expirience talking )  of the online crowd being  total asshats and morrons

is one thing , but implenting it on these games is a damn sin.

theres TESO  upcomming didnt you know? why need coop ?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    I'd love to play Skyrim with my wife.  She just got a gaming rig even better than mine so that would be a lot of fun.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    This is one of those features that you can literally apply to any game and not be worse off. It must be difficult to design as very few games actually allow Co-op when; in fact, they all should.

It probably would be a lot easier to design if the co-op mode was designed around everyone being a helper to one person, but to do something like Skyrim as a regular co-op would just be a mess of inconsistencies that the developers would have to try to prevent or work around.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

It probably would be a lot easier to design if the co-op mode was designed around everyone being a helper to one person, but to do something like Skyrim as a regular co-op would just be a mess of inconsistencies that the developers would have to try to prevent or work around.

Are you concerned with the story or game mechanics?

• EiviEivi Member Posts: 96

I guy has attempted to make a skyrim multiplayer mod. Currently in Alpha still. I have said from the start that i would have loved it to have a co-op aspect.

Since it released, my friends and I tell each other the next day about our adventures etc. If they could join in and we can make the stories together, the better off it would be. Should be restricted to friends lists though. Nothing like a muppet signing in and destroying your experience.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3592

*edited to add URL

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by sagil

I think so. I always feel bored when I'm playing alone, but I like the game much. What a dilemma, eh. So I play them a little, but I don't have anyone to talk with about the game and figuring out what to do together.

Single player (no Co-Op) games will no longer scratch my wallet. With all the piracy and stuff, developers better add Co-Op feature.

What about Skyrim are you willing to sacrifice to make it co-op? Do you realize how much of the graphical look of Skyrim would be compromised to make this possible? Would it still feel like skyrim if bumping into that wine glass didn't cause it to fall over? Would it still be as cool if you couldn't pretty much pick up any item in the game?

Would it be as good with less?

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i really enjoyed skyrim and think a co op ability would be great in that game but there is one issue. Skyrim unmodded is pretty empty of combat even in dungeons . Draug is about all you see in dungeons for majority of the game and its usually maybe 10-15 of them at most. The wilderness is pretty barren also except for a few wildlife like wolves and deer so if I was going to do co op on this game there would have to be a mod that spawns a lot more enemies in a area to be interesting.

these 2 games arent designed  for that ...and thank god .

something like that  would also bring a dumbing  down of the gamemechanics in order to please

a minority.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Heck yeah, both games should have multiplayer capabilities.

Remember when Half-life was released and had an online mode. Yes, it was primarily king-of-the-mountain style maps where we all just ran around and shot each other up, but it gave the game more of a lifespan and increased its following. Demons Souls online capabilities made the already good game more of a hit that there would be sudden pvp. 

It would work better in Skyrim in dungeons. If a player could come in and either help or hinder you, then it wouldnt end up feeling like just another hack n slash dungeon crawl. Same with the Witcher series. 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    not for me..the whole reason i play games like the witcher is to get away from everyone..this week alone i've loggin in nearly 50 hrs on divine divinity..and i,m loving the piece and quiet.

well  theres plenty o games out there offering you coop .

why is there a need to plug skyrim into that? why fuck something awesome up?

i dont get you ppl . ...dont tell me you wanna socialize  more  because i know  in the end youre all bout  ownage and shit like that

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

As long as it doesn't mean dumbing down the gameplay then fine.

If it has "multiplayer only" content and such, then no I wouldn't care for it. That's possibly content you'll never get to experience again years later when no ones playing the game anymore/they shut down the server for whatever reason.

Generally speaking though for single player games I like to play alone. Having some weirdo bunny hop/talk about things I don't care about kills immersion for me, especially it were for a game like Skyrim or the Witcher.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by rounner
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Are you concerned with the story or game mechanics?

Story. The less relevant the story, the easier it is to do. The more the story - and the player choices within it - has any bearing on the gameplay the more of a project it is to manage a meaningful coop experience without it still being jsut one person's story.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I find the concept difficult to design.  In a single player RPG like Skyrim, you are looking at several hundred hours of possible gameplay which poses problems with coordination.  In Skyrim you are also looking at heavy mod usage which makes the design a bit more difficult.  Then you are also talking about a system that can remember what each individual player accomplished and transmitting that data to all players.

Probably the big design issue is the fact the game is so long.  This usually means the players may be doing something else in the world or a player may be playing through a segment alone.  The game has to remember how the world changed and give it to the other players.  This would change the co-op game into a host-client relationship where one player is the host and the other players can join their world.  This would also alleviate the problem of what happens when a player completes a story arc.  It would be the host who has to complete the story and other players help the host along.  This would also mean the other players have their own character that can be transmitted to other worlds similar to Neverwinter Nights.

Ultimately, I think following a co-op style and adding the functionality of such a game feature would detract from the main attraction of a game like Skyrim.  That being able to mess around for hundreds of hours.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

At this point I think there should be a game *like* TES series that have online co-op. A free roam living world with online co-op would be great. Being able to mak your own stories with friends just as some people like to do with skyrim (I'm willing to bet at least half the skyrim player base ignore the main quest and all the "being the super uber dragonborn" stuff just to be a regular person in the game, at least after the first play through).

There's definately a market for it right now. With MMOs all sucking for the most part. 4-8 player co-op games that are open world sandbox games sound great.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Restricted with 2 players yes but witcher 2 is to small world for co-op, skyrim on other hand would be great if i can play with friend.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Co-op is fun, but not everything should have a co-op option.

I think Witcher and Skyrim are amazing games as they are, and I'm glad that the devs developed them that way instead of taking resources away from elsewhere to create a co-op option.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Vrika

I think Witcher and Skyrim are amazing games as they are, and I'm glad that the devs developed them that way instead of taking resources away from elsewhere to create a co-op option.

I have to agree with this, both games are great as they are (albeit with mods for Skyrim).

I'd rather the devs focused on bringing us more games like these than perhaps sacrificing some of that quality in order to work them around co-op.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Kabaal

I have to agree with this, both games are great as they are (albeit with mods for Skyrim).

I'd rather the devs focused on bringing us more games like these than perhaps sacrificing some of that quality in order to work them around co-op.

I can agree with the sentiment, but the reality is that in this day and age all games should have some type of co-op/multiplayer option. As long as the game and the story, are designed from the ground up to support the option, it shouldn't sacrifice anything from the game itself.

Online socialization has become such an important aspect of gaming, it seems like a missed opportunity for excellent games to expand and evolve.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Originally posted by Kabaal

I can agree with the sentiment, but the reality is that in this day and age all games should have some type of co-op/multiplayer option. As long as the game and the story, are designed from the ground up to support the option, it shouldn't sacrifice anything from the game itself.

Online socialization has become such an important aspect of gaming, it seems like a missed opportunity for excellent games to expand and evolve.

I agree that if the game is developed from group up to support co-op, it doesn't need to sacrifise anything (or at least much) to support the co-op. It can still be an amazing single player game.

But if every game was designed that way, wouldn't we lose a huge amount of diversity? Wouldn't we lose Skyrim's mods and Witcher's story with choises that really matter in favor of something more suitable for co-op? We could, and would, still get amazing games. But wouldn't those amazing games be like WoW and its 20 clones that currently dominate the MMO market?

• NamelessCNamelessC Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Co-op with skyrim would be awesome, but how is the system suppose to keep track of 2 character at the same time? It is going to use alot of resource. I highly doubt they would do something like that.
    Originally posted by sagil

Yes it would be awesome having a CO-OP mode.

Ive played Skyrim sinds launch and love the game and still play 300+ hours now but i gave friend of mine a copy of skyrim few weeks ago and he is also playing now.

We both on skype and hear him talking where he is in skyrim and what not MAN i want meet him up and doing quests or explore with him this game SCREAMS CO-OP.

I realy wish games like Skyrim and soon The Witcher 3  should have CO-OP as option also LAN function like old days i realy dont see why they should not have it.

CO-OP BETHESDA THANK YOU!!!

Originally posted by Eivi

I guy has attempted to make a skyrim multiplayer mod. Currently in Alpha still. I have said from the start that i would have loved it to have a co-op aspect.

Since it released, my friends and I tell each other the next day about our adventures etc. If they could join in and we can make the stories together, the better off it would be. Should be restricted to friends lists though. Nothing like a muppet signing in and destroying your experience.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3592

*edited to add URL

I only want a 2 player co-op i don't want some muppet coming into my game ruined my skyrim experience so only 1 friend aloud.

Now i play seperate at same time with friend and we talk through skype saying where i am or he is and share our experience through live updates :)

But 2 player CO-OP would be awesome

Seems Skyrim online failed last update nov-2012 seems he is no longer working on the online version for skyrim.