Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You know game has issues when forum mods become censors

cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

And so it is with GW2.

No constructive dialogue can be had on game forums without forum mods infracting posters, banning posters, and deleting threads.

Players, in general, have a right to be concerned. Anet's commitments (implied or explicit) have been falling like a house of cards since their acquisition.

• No grind? Gone - its all grind at level 80 now.
  • No gear treadmill? - Gone ever since ascended gear was introduced (FotM gear which is now going to be made available in world for daily "laurels" etc
  • Good wvwvw system? Gone - the wvwvw has been so impacted by flaws in the game engine (culling and rendering issues) that its become a joke when you "fight" invisible mobs. Also - the free server transfers allowed until recently have made some servers ghost towns as players have fled to what are considered "the best" wvwvw servers.
  • Quality? Gone - bugs that were reported in Beta are still in-game and new bugs are added every release.
  • Commitments? Don't believe it. Players complained about elite, veteran, champion mobs because they were dropping NO loot or inferior loot yet require a group (or a high DPS solo toon with time to kill) to take down. Anet said they would adjust the loot drops - never happened. Players complained about the drop rate for "lodestones" - something needed by the hundreds for various recipies. Anet said they would fix the drop rate, rolled out a fix that actually corrected this, then rolled it back saying lodestone drops were increased too much and this was impacting the economy. So we are back to where we started on that issue.
  • Diminishing Returns - farm an area too long and the good drops disappear. You must change zones and "work off" your DR time. This was supposedly done to combat bots. Problem - bots are largely gone now but the DR code remains. Problem - there is no CD timer or other indicator in-game for a player to tell when they have "worked off" their DR and thus its all guess work (assumption is an hour is needed). Problem - high level crafting mats only drop in high level zones, so when DR kicks in just what the hell are you supposed to do? Go to a lowbie zone to farm mats you do not need? And these high level mats are needed in the hundreds to work towards a "legendary" so really this is just a very annoying time sink foisted on the players.
  • New Content - every piece of new content added to-date has been a cluster. Massive lag, one time events that players miss when the game server lags out and DCs them, event timing for 1-time events that are not repetable and not conducive to all players in game etc. Its a joke really. Which is probably why Anet MISSED their delivery date for the February content release.
  • Pre-cursors. Needed by anyone who wants a legendary. Bugs and exploits allowed some to get these easily (such as the final Karka event where it was raining precursors for a small time window) while others can only sit and stew as the prices for these on trading post have gone up hundreds of gold month over month due to near impossibility of getting one.
When any issue, concern, question is posed around all of these game issues (and others) in forums the mods react like flies on crap and BAM - infractions, bans, deletions etc.

Very similar to what happened on The Secret World forum boards before that game imploded and went B2P.

Having been a player since pre-release -3 and having logged over 1000 in-game hrs (3 80s plus several other toons in development) I have seen the game decline first hand, have seen servers become ghost towns, and have seen the forum mods transform into hitler jugend. So beware - this game is begining to circle the drain and only fanbois are welcome on Gw2 forum.

Comments

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238
    I hope you have a lot of fire resistance. You're going to need it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I have no problem with diminishing returns, especially after the 50th time seeing someone I know is an 80 farming the troll or the boar in Queensdale, or Maw in Wayfarer.  I mean, come on...
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by cptndunsel
    And so it is with GW2.No constructive dialogue can be had on game forums without forum mods infracting posters, banning posters, and deleting threads.Players, in general, have a right to be concerned. Anet's commitments (implied or explicit) have been falling like a house of cards since their acquisition. No grind? Gone - its all grind at level 80 now. No gear treadmill? - Gone ever since ascended gear was introduced (FotM gear which is now going to be made available in world for daily "laurels" etc Good wvwvw system? Gone - the wvwvw has been so impacted by flaws in the game engine (culling and rendering issues) that its become a joke when you "fight" invisible mobs. Also - the free server transfers allowed until recently have made some servers ghost towns as players have fled to what are considered "the best" wvwvw servers. Quality? Gone - bugs that were reported in Beta are still in-game and new bugs are added every release. Commitments? Don't believe it. Players complained about elite, veteran, champion mobs because they were dropping NO loot or inferior loot yet require a group (or a high DPS solo toon with time to kill) to take down. Anet said they would adjust the loot drops - never happened. Players complained about the drop rate for "lodestones" - something needed by the hundreds for various recipies. Anet said they would fix the drop rate, rolled out a fix that actually corrected this, then rolled it back saying lodestone drops were increased too much and this was impacting the economy. So we are back to where we started on that issue. Diminishing Returns - farm an area too long and the good drops disappear. You must change zones and "work off" your DR time. This was supposedly done to combat bots. Problem - bots are largely gone now but the DR code remains. Problem - there is no CD timer or other indicator in-game for a player to tell when they have "worked off" their DR and thus its all guess work (assumption is an hour is needed). Problem - high level crafting mats only drop in high level zones, so when DR kicks in just what the hell are you supposed to do? Go to a lowbie zone to farm mats you do not need? And these high level mats are needed in the hundreds to work towards a "legendary" so really this is just a very annoying time sink foisted on the players. New Content - every piece of new content added to-date has been a cluster. Massive lag, one time events that players miss when the game server lags out and DCs them, event timing for 1-time events that are not repetable and not conducive to all players in game etc. Its a joke really. Which is probably why Anet MISSED their delivery date for the February content release. Pre-cursors. Needed by anyone who wants a legendary. Bugs and exploits allowed some to get these easily (such as the final Karka event where it was raining precursors for a small time window) while others can only sit and stew as the prices for these on trading post have gone up hundreds of gold month over month due to near impossibility of getting one. When any issue, concern, question is posed around all of these game issues (and others) in forums the mods react like flies on crap and BAM - infractions, bans, deletions etc.   Very similar to what happened on The Secret World forum boards before that game imploded and went B2P.   Having been a player since pre-release -3 and having logged over 2000 in-game hrs (3 80s plus several other toons in development) I have seen the game decline first hand, have seen servers become ghost towns, and have seen the forum mods transform into hitler jugend. So beware - this game is begining to circle the drain and only fanbois are welcome on Gw2 forum.

Most of the time, Its how people present these 'concerns' which 'upset' mods.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Just on diminishing returns, I believe this to be a myth.  Anet has commented on it themselves, saying its not existent and from my own personal experience, I dont see it. 

I'm a farmer too.  Sometimes I can farm an area for an hour and a half, killing the same mobs and get very little.  Sometimes I get lots.  I could farrm for a solid hour and suddenly start getting wonderful drops.  That negates diminishing returns right there.   Good drops do seem to come in waves sometimes, such as in that I get them all at once. 

But the idea that after an hour or so of farming something, Im not going to get anything good or I have a far less likely chance of doing so, is garbage.  Because I have had the opposite happen more times than I can count. 

Again, having farmed in GW2 and done it many many times, from my own play experience, I can tell you this is a myth.  I see no evidence of it.  Loot seems to come in waves maybe, and all at once sometimes, but I can farm for 2 hours, the same mobs, over and over again, and suddenly at the 2 hour mark I get a bunch of good loot.  Its a myth.  Don't believe it. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Eir_S
    I have no problem with diminishing returns, especially after the 50th time seeing someone I know is an 80 farming the troll or the boar in Queensdale, or Maw in Wayfarer.  I mean, come on...

Why cant i farm?
    Why cant i grind?

devs these days preach 'flexibility' but i cant use bread and butter tactics anymore?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

And so it is with GW2.

No constructive dialogue can be had on game forums without forum mods infracting posters, banning posters, and deleting threads.

I have never heard of any other company doing this before.  I'm glad you brought this to our attention..........

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136
    on this forum board i feel empowered to use a different tone than i do on Gw2 board - please don't make unfounded assumptions
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

• No gear treadmill? - Gone ever since ascended gear was introduced (FotM gear which is now going to be made available in world for daily "laurels" etc
    •  
    • Commitments? Don't believe it. Players complained about elite, veteran, champion mobs because they were dropping NO loot or inferior loot yet require a group (or a high DPS solo toon with time to kill) to take down. Anet said they would adjust the loot drops - never happened. Players complained about the drop rate for "lodestones" - something needed by the hundreds for various recipies. Anet said they would fix the drop rate, rolled out a fix that actually corrected this, then rolled it back saying lodestone drops were increased too much and this was impacting the economy. So we are back to where we started on that issue.
    • Diminishing Returns - farm an area too long and the good drops disappear. You must change zones and "work off" your DR time. This was supposedly done to combat bots. Problem - bots are largely gone now but the DR code remains. Problem - there is no CD timer or other indicator in-game for a player to tell when they have "worked off" their DR and thus its all guess work (assumption is an hour is needed). Problem - high level crafting mats only drop in high level zones, so when DR kicks in just what the hell are you supposed to do? Go to a lowbie zone to farm mats you do not need? And these high level mats are needed in the hundreds to work towards a "legendary" so really this is just a very annoying time sink foisted on the players..

I am by no means a huge fan of GW2, but couldn't help but notice.........

So you want a game with no grind or gear treadmill where you can grind mobs for superior loot or farm for good drops, like some sort of treadmill to get increasingly better items?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Eir_S

Why cant i farm?
    Why cant i grind?

devs these days preach 'flexibility' but i cant use bread and butter tactics anymore?

Maybe you can.  I haven't heard from anyone (apart from OP), including the players I mentioned, that they were ever getting less loot... perhaps these diminishing returns aren't that diminishing.  Still, if they do work the way they're intended, I think they're in effect to keep people doing things outside of starter areas.

Do they even work?

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    The ignorance of these threads never end. I love how the op complains about mods censoring threads and this one is one of those kind of threads he is creating. So you don't like the game; who cares? Don't play it. This forum is for people who actually play the game and have concerns that don't have to do with the fundamentals of it, not people who don't play it. The fact that there are so many people still paying attention to this forum --negative or not, means that ArenaNet has had a significant impact on tthe MMO scene. If you don't like the game I suggest not posting anything cause you are helping promote it.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

OMG they actually had  a "Karka event" ???????

LOL talk about internationalisation problems, that is up there beyond "root"  (Australian slang for the sex act).

Karka sounds like one of the Australian slang terms for faeces (excrement).

i have been farming the "loot corridor" with 151 MF and all of a sudden all I get is porous bone for an extended time.

If NOT DR then some other mechanic is at work - a poorly written RNG, an undocumented CD on loot drops for specific loot types - something. Its literally like someone turned off a fawcet and decent drops in that area dry up.

This would not be an issue IF anet had added additional level 80 zones. But when they added the Cove the botched it. An uninteresing place with lack of mob diversity, mobs that are harder to kill, and drops that are inferior to those in Orr. I go there maybe once a week to get blood - and maybe I see 1 or 2 other people on the entire island. Thats how bad this place is.

Aside from Frost and Cursed Shore you are out of good options for farming highest level mats, and this has recently been made worse as anet nerfed t6 mat drops.

Originally posted by Zorgo

•  
    • Diminishing Returns - farm an area too long and the good drops disappear. You must change zones and "work off" your DR time. This was supposedly done to combat bots. Problem - bots are largely gone now but the DR code remains. Problem - there is no CD timer or other indicator in-game for a player to tell when they have "worked off" their DR and thus its all guess work (assumption is an hour is needed). Problem - high level crafting mats only drop in high level zones, so when DR kicks in just what the hell are you supposed to do? Go to a lowbie zone to farm mats you do not need? And these high level mats are needed in the hundreds to work towards a "legendary" so really this is just a very annoying time sink foisted on the players..

I am by no means a huge fan of GW2, but couldn't help but notice.........

So you want a game with no grind or gear treadmill where you can grind mobs for superior loot or farm for good drops, like some sort of treadmill to get increasingly better items?

simply pointing out that the so called "manifesto" anet used to promote the game pre-release was quickly placed into the circular file. Personally - I'd like to see raids and a better gear progression system. I was a fairly hard core raider in WOW before that game just got too silly to keep playing. The forum board often get a number of threads on these manifesto items and then the threads quickly get shut down. Many feel betrayed because they bought the line that this was going to be a "different" kind of game. Now they are annoyed with reality.

Originally posted by Celcius
    The ignorance of these threads never end. I love how the op complains about mods censoring threads and this one is one of those kind of threads he is creating. So you don't like the game; who cares? Don't play it. This forum is for people who actually play the game and have concerns that don't have to do with the fundamentals of it, not people who don't play it. The fact that there are so many people still paying attention to this forum --negative or not, means that ArenaNet has had a significant impact on tthe MMO scene. If you don't like the game I suggest not posting anything cause you are helping promote it.

Thanks for your opinion. I have given it the amount of thought it deserves.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

And so it is with GW2.

Players, in general, have a right to be concerned. Anet's commitments (implied or explicit) have been falling like a house of cards since their acquisition.

• Good wvwvw system? Gone - the wvwvw has been so impacted by flaws in the game engine (culling and rendering issues) that its become a joke when you "fight" invisible mobs. Also - the free server transfers allowed until recently have made some servers ghost towns as players have fled to what are considered "the best" wvwvw servers.
    • Quality? Gone - bugs that were reported in Beta are still in-game and new bugs are added every release.
    • Diminishing Returns - farm an area too long and the good drops disappear. You must change zones and "work off" your DR time. This was supposedly done to combat bots. Problem - bots are largely gone now but the DR code remains. Problem - there is no CD timer or other indicator in-game for a player to tell when they have "worked off" their DR and thus its all guess work (assumption is an hour is needed). Problem - high level crafting mats only drop in high level zones, so when DR kicks in just what the hell are you supposed to do? Go to a lowbie zone to farm mats you do not need? And these high level mats are needed in the hundreds to work towards a "legendary" so really this is just a very annoying time sink foisted on the players.
    • New Content - every piece of new content added to-date has been a cluster. Massive lag, one time events that players miss when the game server lags out and DCs them, event timing for 1-time events that are not repetable and not conducive to all players in game etc. Its a joke really. Which is probably why Anet MISSED their delivery date for the February content release.
    • Pre-cursors. Needed by anyone who wants a legendary. Bugs and exploits allowed some to get these easily (such as the final Karka event where it was raining precursors for a small time window) while others can only sit and stew as the prices for these on trading post have gone up hundreds of gold month over month due to near impossibility of getting one.
    When any issue, concern, question is posed around all of these game issues (and others) in forums the mods react like flies on crap and BAM - infractions, bans, deletions etc.

Very similar to what happened on The Secret World forum boards before that game imploded and went B2P.

Having been a player since pre-release -3 and having logged over 1000 in-game hrs (3 80s plus several other toons in development) I have seen the game decline first hand, have seen servers become ghost towns, and have seen the forum mods transform into hitler jugend. So beware - this game is begining to circle the drain and only fanbois are welcome on Gw2 forum.

I'm so confused here. You have complained about a lot of this not being in then you complain when it's implemented... I'm lost, does anyone have a map?

The grind and gear treadmill is something you criticized the game for not having... 

Now you are criticizing it for adding some form of it... 

The WvWvW issues have been addressed and they pushed the WvWvW changes back to make sure they are polished and actually do fix existing issues. You can't wait for them to iron the bugs out before they push it live?

Then you go on to complain about bugs (Which there aren't actually that many of)

You complain about grinding

Then you complain about not being able to grind

As I said, I'm very confused here. Your post history contradicts itself a great deal when it comes to GW2. You ask for things and complain about them when you get them. You complain about things and complain when they are taken away. You complain about delays and how slow they are delivering content then complain about bugs from rushing content. 

I have a headache now so I think I will skip out on the rest of this thread,[mod edit]

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Forum Mods are always censors. It's why the exist. The problem is most people have forgotten how to speak with civility. As an example you just Godwinned your own thread.

I played WOW from 1.x through Cata, was a frequent poster on the WOW boards, and know of no one who ever received any infraction, ban, or otherwise. I supose this may have happened but I never heard of it.

Likewise on Rift.

Both of those games seem pretty healthy to me. Which ties back to my point - when a game is healthy the players are more satisfied and the forum boards are much more open for discussion on specific aspects of the game not all agree with.

On the other hand - if a game is unhealthy (TSW is a perfect example) the boards become very anti-discussion and only praise postings are allowed.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

Since the first original GW , Anet always took measures against  farming

Doing some research instead of hype  always helps (you save time and money)

Anet  will constantly nerf or strenghten certain classes , hate them as much as you like but in that department theyre very good

...also called balance

seems your issue is you cant have the walk in the park

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

It is true, moderators sometimes go out of line too.

In my experience, you can get away with quite a lot if you

-avoid foul language like "kitten"

-don't get personal (like insulting the hard working developers, just to insult them)

-only make a point when you have a point to make

-generally behave like you would if you met them face to face

That said, moderators go bananas too.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Robokapp

you're speaking evil.GW2 will kill wow any day now...

only WoW? Blasphemy. Wasn't it destined to "kill" ALL other MMOs? At least according to the astroturfers?

Like SWTOR was said to be the ultimate MMO, and look at it now

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Two points:

1. Those are ArenaNet's forums, they can ban you for posting on a Tuesday.  Official game forums are either a cesspool of critism, or complete fanboyism.  There are no inbetweens.  If you are looking for actual data besides whether the servers are up or down on an official forum, you are wasting your time. 

2. Why are you complaining about gear?  Gear is the least important part.  All dungeons, story, and exploration can be done with found and quest drops.  PvP is normalized gear.  All grinding is for cosmetic crap that doesn't effect gameplay in the least.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by FromHell

only WoW? Blasphemy. Wasn't it destined to "kill" ALL other MMOs? At least according to the astroturfers?

Don't forget AoC in that.  Remember that one was going to be the genre redefining wow killer.

Didn't know that.  I thought Conan was a niche title since launch. I always end up playing niche titles for some reason. Guess I'm incompatible with mainstream products.

The Return of ELITE !

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Don't forget AoC in that.  Remember that one was going to be the genre redefining wow killer.

Didn't know that.  I thought Conan was a niche title since launch. I always end up playing niche titles for some reason. Guess I'm incompatible with mainstream products.

hahah it's only in that category if you don't like it?

Originally posted by Kuppa

hahah it's only in that category if you don't like it?

when I like a game I officially declare it "niche".. haha, my niche...

Although, for example I expect Star Citizen to become a blockbuster game and I'll play the heck out of it.. but it will be pretty hardcore with permadeath, so.. probably niche again! I win! No power to the mainstream carebears X-))

The Return of ELITE !

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Morale of the story is that regardless of if you think the game is good or bad they still sold 3 million copies, the population continues to rise as well as the continued success of the game. You may not like it, but GW2 will continue to be a success without you. Thankfully, due to your obvious knowledge of the game from the first couple of weeks, you contributed towards that success. Me and my GW2 playing brothers thank you for your contribution.
  • EiviEivi Member Posts: 96
    This is what happened with WarZ. Not that im comparing Anet with the crappy banHammerPoint, but its a slippery slope.