Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone ever call in sick for work to play WWII Online?

Man, I have memories of taking days off from work because I stayed up all night playing.

I used to go to bed sometimes at 4 or 5 A.M. and my boss would call my house asking me where the hell i was.

My wife thought I was nuts

My friends thought I was nuts.

My family thought I was nuts.

They just didn't understand the draw this game can have on people.

Do any games past or present make you call in sick or miss work?

Just curious

Comments

• CeTheGreatCeTheGreat Member Posts: 84
    Oh yeah! Used to always take the first day of the new camp off. I told my wife the reason and she said I was nuts too. Women just don't get it :)

• XOOM-CRSXOOM-CRS Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by pittpete

Man, I have memories of taking days off from work because I stayed up all night playing.

I used to go to bed sometimes at 4 or 5 A.M. and my boss would call my house asking me where the hell i was.

Just curious

This is a fun post for Playskool, why are you posting this here? The groupie guys here would see it and chime in on it anyways.

[email protected]
    Cornered Rat Software

• Silky303Silky303 Member Posts: 134
    Or stay up to 4am because you're breaking through or being broken through and then wake up for work at , hehe

SWG > Aces High > WWIIOL

• CeTheGreatCeTheGreat Member Posts: 84
    I've called in sick for a breakthrough once lol. Jamm40, Aero, cometus and myself stayed up for HOURS when we had that 4 day map. Was awesome! :) I'd do it again too

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by XOOM-CRS

Just curious

This is a fun post for Playskool, why are you posting this here? The groupie guys here would see it and chime in on it anyways.

Honestly I never understood all the hate towards XOOM until this post right here.   MOTORMOUTH was too nice, and you sir are a genuine Alpha Fifty-five Hotel Oscar Lima Three.  

I can remember launch day back in June 2001.   I had taken leave early for that day, I took a solid week off, to sit and play.   After the massive 2-3 hour patch and the constant server crashes and down time I think I got in a solid 8-12 hours of play over that week.   Good times.   On the plus side I did get set up with the best squad in game history 1st FJ.

So much crap, so little quality.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Just curious

Not enough posts to moderate back home?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    not worth a sick day, but thats just me personally. 

• BodkinBarberBodkinBarber Member Posts: 106

Just curious

You serious?

a) From a marketing stand point ANY positive threads on a public forum are better than them being hidden away on a closed forum as you want

b) Playskool forums have less posts as well as having a narrow spectrum of players, here you get alot of diversity

• pittpetepittpete Member Posts: 233

I was actually interested in knowing what games presently get you to play for hours upon hours, stay up all night and force you to miss work days?

Seriously I'm curious because I'm getting older and I'm finding it harder and harder  to do.

A few weeks back though I did pull an all nighter playing WWII Online with the help of 4 cups of coffee, and boy did I friggin pay for it.

I'm stiil tired from that night...LOL

• RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207

Just curious

Real professional post XOOM from a rep of the company.  Is your paintball company not doing well so you are here trolling these forums rather then fixing the game?

Former GM and associate game designer for SOE and Square Enix.  (2001-2008)
  • ZbusZbus Member Posts: 116

Just curious

Wow just wow

• david06david06 Member Posts: 183

I never took a sick day off, but came pretty close.

Once back when I was with "windhund" a few of us decided to attack England. I can't remember who was there but "pilomon", "ch53guni" and the rest of us loaded on to a transport. I had a 251 APC, I think that pilomon was piloting the boat. I went to bed, woke up about 5:00am the next morning and that dude had been sailing all night.

It was extremely tense those last 15km but we had 2-3 251s and some tanks all ready to plow in to Ramsgate, which was either defenseless or just about. Unfortunately, some Hurricane 2c pilot suicided in to our ship just a short ways from the coastline(thanks for the 10km ship early-warning system CRS). If we had made it to shore I swear I would've called in and been in that APC all day.

I'm on mobile right now but I think that I still have some screen shots floating around some place. We still had some fun despite the operatiom being a failure...too bad nothing like that happens anymore :(

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

I was actually interested in knowing what games presently get you to play for hours upon hours, stay up all night and force you to miss work days?

Seriously I'm curious because I'm getting older and I'm finding it harder and harder  to do.

A few weeks back though I did pull an all nighter playing WWII Online with the help of 4 cups of coffee, and boy did I friggin pay for it.

I'm stiil tired from that night...LOL

You were not interested in finding out what others love to play. Your post history clearly demonstrates that you only post on ww2 online, as do some of your friends - or is it just some of your other accounts?

You and your pals have one of two motivations for posting anything :

1. You have no place to go to talk about ww2 online so you are using mmorpg.com as your own personal message board.

2. You simply want to keep people seeing that ww2 online is constantly being talked about in hopes that some of them might play your game.

I only get to view 5 recent posts at a time on mmorpg.com's front page and I'm getting unbelievably tired of one of those 5 slots always being filled by you and your pals. Isn't there someplace else you can commune? A google plus group perhaps?

Just sayin.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

I never played this game, nor do i care to, simply because of the hatred certain ppl have been showing over the years,

why is this game so personal to you guys than you can even let a thread pass without the bashing?

normally im against this, but mods should really remove the ww2 forums if this is the only thing we see from it.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I really hope MMORPG cracks down on this obvious attempt to increase product visibility through exploiting the forum home page listing by creating inane posts/replies with no real information while burying legiitimate posts.
  • anfiach`anfiach` Member UncommonPosts: 110

Originally posted by iamflymolo

You were not interested in finding out what others love to play. Your post history clearly demonstrates that you only post on ww2 online, as do some of your friends - or is it just some of your other accounts?

You and your pals have one of two motivations for posting anything :

1. You have no place to go to talk about ww2 online so you are using mmorpg.com as your own personal message board.

2. You simply want to keep people seeing that ww2 online is constantly being talked about in hopes that some of them might play your game.

I only get to view 5 recent posts at a time on mmorpg.com's front page and I'm getting unbelievably tired of one of those 5 slots always being filled by you and your pals. Isn't there someplace else you can commune? A google plus group perhaps?

Just sayin.

Originally posted by etlar

I never played this game, nor do i care to, simply because of the hatred certain ppl have been showing over the years,

why is this game so personal to you guys than you can even let a thread pass without the bashing?

normally im against this, but mods should really remove the ww2 forums if this is the only thing we see from it.

Originally posted by MortisRex
    I really hope MMORPG cracks down on this obvious attempt to increase product visibility through exploiting the forum home page listing by creating inane posts/replies with no real information while burying legiitimate posts.

@iamfly I'm pretty sure this is the WWIIOL discussion forum on a website that has specific forums for many games. You don't have to read this particular sub forum. Just Sayin.

@etlar Players are very passionate about this game and so when they have disagreements, they are passionate about those as well. In the case of some however, they just have very sad lives and cannot let go of the past. Can't say it is any different from any other game out there.

@MortisRex You mean like yours just now?

• pittpetepittpete Member Posts: 233

Iamflymolo, you havn't posted on the MMORPG forums in almost a month.

There are over 2 million members here with over 5.3 million posts.

I can't understand how it bothers you that we discuss a game here

Please don't try to intimidate others because it inconviences you.

• david06david06 Member Posts: 183

Yeah I know it sounds strange, but this games' official forums are closed to non-subscribers and while the company doesn't have a coder, they do have mod team six or something that locks down any decent discussion. I either lurk or post here, figure out what other former subscribers are playing, etc. rather than going there. There are a few shills here although they make themselves pretty obvious.

I remember speaking with some guy from Norway who worked on an oil rig. While he didn'r take off work, he did spend nearly all his off-time playing ww2online so he'd be a total bro for a few weeks, helping out eveywhere then just fall off the earth for a few more while he was out on the rig. Eventually we asked him what was up and he explained; he said this habit actually saved him money lol. Maybe we should start a storytime/nostalgia thread.

• BodkinBarberBodkinBarber Member Posts: 106

3 outside players posting within 6 minutes with duplicate messages? Seriously thats sad to get emotional over a link to a forum post in a recent activity box. Tired of it? Who the hell derives pleasure from regulary views with posts in random game forums?!? If your upset about this forum even appearing (and not just having constant posts about WoW, PS2 and WoT) then perhaps don't view some forum link box as something important when the reason it's their is for advertisement purposes (which is used by almost all games on this site).

Look at the current background of this site, its for the game 'Elder Scrolls'. Would I like the game? Probablly not, for all I know it's a pile of crap. That doesn't mean I and some of my buddies go onto the Elder Scroll forum and say "OMGOD why are they advertising wam wam" and have a go at the people who post and not the company. If your unable to cope with advertising then go onto a non commercial forum

• Silky303Silky303 Member Posts: 134
    I used to work 4on/4off shifts, back then I'd spend the majority of my off time on SWG. I'm kind of glad I wasn't playing WWIIOL then - the persistent battle would probably damage your mental health. At least in SWG you could completely cool off by pursuing crafting and social stuff. 24/7 at war isn't good for the soul

SWG > Aces High > WWIIOL

• Skers11Skers11 Member Posts: 28

I actually have, but that was long ago.  I actually planned it.  It was during the winter and we had a large blizzard come through.  I stocked up on food and drink, called out sick and played WWII Online all day and night.  

I would not do that these days...I enjoy having a job too much and I can't play all night as it leaves me way too tired for the remainder of the week.  Sigh...the joys of getting older and becoming responsible.