Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware bad information.

allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Anyone who wants to try Vanguard... do not listen to most of the negative posts here. Most of them are referencing:

1. opinion

2. old / inaccurate infomormation

3. posted by folks that do not play..

Try the game yourself, its free now.

Comments

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

It's a little bit past it now really isn't it?

It was never a successful game on release, I cant imagine it got better with age. I'm sure it isn't as broken as it once was but let's be honest the game ranks down there pretty low as MMOs go.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    I don't have to drink the milk to know it is spoiled when one whiff will do.
  • allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by SuperNick

It was never a successful game on release, I cant imagine it got better with age. I'm sure it isn't as broken as it once was but let's be honest the game ranks down there pretty low as MMOs go.

You will never know unless you try it... not saying vanguard is for everyone it is certainly not.. but things have changed 

but most people are making assumptions about vanguard gameplay and population without even playing the game.. and wasting folks time who are interested... 

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

Vanguard is an old-school MMO. No hand-holding, no easy mode. It has a large, wide open virtual world, with tons of content and no instances. No loading screens. Lots of interesting classes, and lots of things to do besides fight (crafting/harvesting, diplomacy, fishing).

It is basically PvE only, with raiding as the end-game.

It does have some hitching problems, and some bugs left. But the population is decent now, with the F2P people checking it out, and the game is fun.

Try it out before relying on old information.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I'm really enjoying the game today.  It's not "spoiled milk."  It's a fun, old school style MMORPG unlike most of the games today.  If this game would've had a decent release in 2007, and a worthwile studio head, it would be the game all of us that are currently looking for a modern game based on the old ruleset would be still playing today .  We wouldn't be jumping game to game looking for that old feeling of fun.  We would be playing this, and I am.  Anyone that enjoys a true MMORPG should really check this out.  The more players the better. 
    Originally posted by Groot
    I'm really enjoying the game today.  It's not "spoiled milk."  It's a fun, old school style MMORPG unlike most of the games today.  If this game would've had a decent release in 2007, and a worthwile studio head, it would be the game all of us that are currently looking for a modern game based on the old ruleset would be still playing today .  We wouldn't be jumping game to game looking for that old feeling of fun.  We would be playing this, and I am.  Anyone that enjoys a true MMORPG should really check this out.  The more players the better. 

/agree 

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

So to disprove the OP:

1. You gave your opinion on

2. old/inaccurate information about

3. a game you do not play

Good work showing him how wrong he is.

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93
    I will DL and try it tonight..can someone list the classes? Thanks!
  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Funny.... vanguard fans said exactly the same thing in vanguard beta. They are still at it:

"My positives are facts. Their negatives are opinions"

Bad information? That would be to try to advertise for a game constantly that was shot down in beta, in release, during first year and in free to play conversion. "It is not for everybody" also an old vanguard fan trick, trying to talk like its some kind of Elite game for advanced players.. never has been. But still a true statement. It IS not for everyone.. its not for people with a demand of quality, originality and at least ok graphics.

But carry on... its not like you will come to your senses... ever.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Zorgo

So to disprove the OP:

How do you know that  SuperNick has not played this game recently?, many people have traveled Vanguards world.

You need to tell  new players what updates have been released for this game now that it has gone f2p or do you need to spend money for content etc, or are most of the old bugs still in game?.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

The thing is, Vanguard still provides a good deal of the stuff that endeared the genre to us in the old days.

Sure the game has its rough spots - and not few at all - but it's got that "big open world" feeling you can't find in most modern MMOs, and it's got a certain appeal you'll probably only see once you get your hands on it and give it a few days.

So, yeah.. Information bad or true, I'd say the game is worth trying anyway - especially if you only played post-WOW MMOs.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Most games improve with time. . atl leats for a bit.  It wasn't successful on release because. . it was beyond a mess.  It was terrible.  I actually enjoyed my time back last year. . not enough to hang around bit it was indeed a lot better.   If people have not tried it I think they should but they have to play for at least 2 hours to get over the strange map / UI etc.  once you get it you are golden.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Harafnir

Funny.... vanguard fans said exactly the same thing in vanguard beta. They are still at it:

Bad information? That would be to try to advertise for a game constantly that was shot down in beta, in release, during first year and in free to play conversion. "It is not for everybody" also an old vanguard fan trick, trying to talk like its some kind of Elite game for advanced players.. never has been. But still a true statement. It IS not for everyone.. its not for people with a demand of quality, originality and at least ok graphics.

Nor are you.

• steusssteuss Member UncommonPosts: 130
    What about the game makes it RPG if there is no class custimization available other than gear?
    Originally posted by sibs4455
    Originally posted by Zorgo

So to disprove the OP:

How do you know that  SuperNick has not played this game recently?, many people have traveled Vanguards world.

You need to tell  new players what updates have been released for this game now that it has gone f2p or do you need to spend money for content etc, or are most of the old bugs still in game?.

Because he is 'imagining' how this game has aged - 

The updates have mostly involved streamlining code and squashing bugs. As an example, when VG released, you downloaded around 30 gigs. I kid you not. Download the client today, its more like 5.5 gigs. That in itself should tell you what kind of work was involved in streamlining the code. The result is that it is far smoother and more playable than it ever has been - from my assessment, the performance was the biggest issue with this games failure early on.

You do not need to pay for content, all content is available to you.

You can get good enough gear as a f2p character to see the entire game without paying a cent. 

If you want, you can unlock individual pieces of gear as a f2p toon rather than subbing to get that higher tier gear automatically .

There are still bugs, most annoyingly for me is the randomness of how quest waypoints work (or sometimes don't work, or sometimes are non-existant). But anyone who said this is a bug-free game would be lying heartily.

A SSD hardrive will also enhance the experience dramatically. For some reason, they built it well for ssd, but not so good for what most people have. There is still a lot of hitching if you use a normal hardrive.

People often want to comment, 'but it hasn't had any new content in years'.....which isn't totally true, but point well taken. My counterpoint is, 'why would a game that has more content than you could possible cover in one two or three toons lives need to keep releasing content?' Content is one of the strongest points about this game as it stands. Not something that needs work. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by iamthekiller
    I will DL and try it tonight..can someone list the classes? Thanks!

wiki has a brief overview of the 15 classes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard:_Saga_of_Heroes

Originally posted by steuss
    What about the game makes it RPG if there is no class custimization available other than gear?

A.

Each class is a unique 'role'. A rogue is nothing like a bard which is nothing like a ranger which is nothing like a monk - and those are your 'light fighters'. Each of the classes is a unique 'role', it plays differently, feels different and takes different timing and skill to play that 'role'.

B. 

You assign attribute points. Do you have a caster? Do you want a greater mana pool or greater mana regen? Max vitality if you want good regen, max int if you want a bigger pool. You will find there are standards out there for where to put your points, but there are variations among individual players. A blood mage is a good example. There are INT blood mages and VIT blood mages. There are Necros that prefer their 3rd attribute be constitution, while others pick vitality. Though these are subtle changes, they do effect gameplay considerably. A const necro will be better at soloing, while a vit necro will be better in a group.

C. 

Are you an adventurer, crafter, diplomat or all three? You have rangers out there. You also have crafting rangers. You also have diplo rangers. What sphere you develop and work on and at what pace defines your role further. There are folks playing that don't even refer to their class, but when asked instead say they play a 'crafter' role.

There is probably more, but that is just a few of my ideas.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by allegria

Anyone who wants to try Vanguard... do not listen to most of the negative posts here. Most of them are referencing:

1. opinion

I want to love Vanguard, I really do. I bought a box on launch day, and gave it my best shot. I recently came back after it went free-to-play, and not much has changed. Despite enormous leaps in computer hardware, Vanguard plays about as well as it did at launch. If you can look past how terribly the game is optimized, mobs warping around, crippling lag during raids, and latency in 300-500 range for no reason at all, then there is a diamond in the rough. Frankly, I moved on a while ago, and I really don't see any reason to play this game over EQ2, or even the original EQ.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Harafnir

I agree.  How many times do we  have to have people shill a game with the virtues of how great a game is now.  It had it's chance.

Play at your own risk.  This isn't about hand holding or not,  the issues were deep in the code.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah agree with the above poster , if vanguard was just so great it would not of been next to dying and had to have free to play to save it. Its the same with games like Tera also , these games do not just lose population because they are great games. Vanguard is improving but they have glaring issues that people cannot get past like the laggy clunky combat and interface that is unresponsive. Free to play is a last chance effort to make a profit on the game. If it picks up in population you will get a long time of development and more devs working the game but not all the time the devs are willing to actually fix what most complain about. I really hope vanguard gets new life and plenty of new content , I find it better than EQ2 personally and its a great throwback mmorpg. But before I played it again they would have to update the stats for toons , the UI responsiveness , and the combat animations to actually be fluid and stop skipping frames.
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    Originally posted by allegria

1. opinion

I want to love Vanguard, I really do. I bought a box on launch day, and gave it my best shot. I recently came back after it went free-to-play, and not much has changed. Despite enormous leaps in computer hardware, Vanguard plays about as well as it did at launch. If you can look past how terribly the game is optimized, mobs warping around, crippling lag during raids, and latency in 300-500 range for no reason at all, then there is a diamond in the rough. Frankly, I moved on a while ago, and I really don't see any reason to play this game over EQ2, or even the original EQ.

I have been playing for years, since launch off and on.

Never seen a mob warp once.

Never seen a ping over 200 ( usually aroun d 150-180 for me ) other than the isle during F2p, it was a lag fest for sure.

Of course, if network latency is your real concern, the development staff is redoing the networking code.

Originally posted by cronius77
    yeah agree with the above poster , if vanguard was just so great it would not of been next to dying and had to have free to play to save it. Its the same with games like Tera also , these games do not just lose population because they are great games. Vanguard is improving but they have glaring issues that people cannot get past like the laggy clunky combat and interface that is unresponsive. Free to play is a last chance effort to make a profit on the game. If it picks up in population you will get a long time of development and more devs working the game but not all the time the devs are willing to actually fix what most complain about. I really hope vanguard gets new life and plenty of new content , I find it better than EQ2 personally and its a great throwback mmorpg. But before I played it again they would have to update the stats for toons , the UI responsiveness , and the combat animations to actually be fluid and stop skipping frames.

Population has picked up to 08 levels.. It did not go f2p to save, again more information that is just wrong. they did it to INCREASE revenue..

Did eq2 need to be saved ? nope, they went f2p for more revenue, as they did with EVERY OTHER SOE title.

This is what i mean guys, call it like it is or move on, the BS in these threads is just unreal... that was the point of my OP.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Wrong - I;ve played many MMO's and VG is one of the better ones. Crafting is complex and deep and the world is large and seamless. There's player housing and ships and so much more. You can wate your money on the new crap or try VG for free and upgrade later if you like it :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by olepi

Vanguard is an old-school MMO. No hand-holding, no easy mode. It has a large, wide open virtual world, with tons of content and no instances. No loading screens. Lots of interesting classes, and lots of things to do besides fight (crafting/harvesting, diplomacy, fishing).

It is basically PvE only, with raiding as the end-game.

It does have some hitching problems, and some bugs left. But the population is decent now, with the F2P people checking it out, and the game is fun.

Try it out before relying on old information.

+1

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301
    I played in beta.  The game was broke.  Came back a year after release, it was better.  Played the game for about a year and had fun. Worth a try for those who haven't.  It is a good game.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."